The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2023, 04:48 PM   #1
soulsea
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How does purchase history work?

I’ve read several threads on the topic and keep getting conflicting answers. I know for example with AP, if I walk into any boutique they have my name on file on their computer with all my purchase history and from where I bought a watch, whether bought new or used, every service that has been done on any of my watches, every strap I’ve ever bought, and which sales person at which boutique is assigned to me, essentially they keep a database of all my interactions with the brand and I assume it has some bearing as to which timepieces they are willing to offer me and when.

Does Patek do the same thing? Don’t ask me how or why my AD did this for me cause I don’t know, but after years of patiently waiting and not bothering them too much, I just got word that I got offered a 5712G. This has been a grail piece for me and my first Patek so I’ve been bouncing around the house in excitement all evening and I obviously immediately accepted and it’s being shipped out to me tomorrow. Of course all the paperwork will be at my name and I will also input it into the register.

Now that I will finally be part of the Patek family with a timepiece that I will never sell, does it mean that Patek will apply it to my purchase history and make it easier for me to get subsequent timepieces? And will ADs other than mine be able to see that this was not a used purchase and consider it in offering me other pieces that may become available with some priority because they have access to my record the same way AP does? Or is my history only visible and considered by the AD I just purchased the Nautilus from?

Hope all that makes sense? In short I’m trying to figure out whom other than Patek corporate cares about my purchase history in considering future offerings.

Thanks.
soulsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 05:00 PM   #2
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
The AD system works differently. I don't believe other AD'S can look up your purchase history. For that matter, I don't think Patek dictates who gets what allocation other than application pieces.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 05:16 PM   #3
soulsea

Interesting. The reason I ask is because I was recently in Geneva and made an appointment at the Patek salon (not where I’m getting my Nautilus from). I had a long chat with the very nice sales rep who went into much detail about how there is a new corporate edict from the top saying that Nautiluses and Aquanauts cannot be offered to customers as their first timepiece, unless Stern signs off on it himself. Obviously the fact that I’m getting a Nautilus as my first piece seems to contradict that (unless in fact it was signed off by Stern at my AD’s recommendation), but more importantly that statement seems to indicate that somewhere there is a a system in place to track purchases to a name in order for that policy to be implemented, so I was trying to figure out how that works.

Of course the whole idea of it could not be true and just something they say to everyone to make them buy other pieces before getting Nautiluses and Aquanauts and there is no actually such policy.
Old 12 October 2023, 02:50 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Interesting. The reason I ask is because I was recently in Geneva and made an appointment at the Patek salon (not where I’m getting my Nautilus from). I had a long chat with the very nice sales rep who went into much detail about how there is a new corporate edict from the top saying that Nautiluses and Aquanauts cannot be offered to customers as their first timepiece, unless Stern signs off on it himself. Obviously the fact that I’m getting a Nautilus as my first piece seems to contradict that (unless in fact it was signed off by Stern at my AD’s recommendation), but more importantly that statement seems to indicate that somewhere there is a a system in place to track purchases to a name in order for that policy to be implemented, so I was trying to figure out how that works.

Of course the whole idea of it could not be true and just something they say to everyone to make them buy other pieces before getting Nautiluses and Aquanauts and there is no actually such policy.
Yours is a G, I think that policy may only apply to the SS models. And as said, ADs allocate the watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 02:59 AM   #5
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Yours is a G, I think that policy may only apply to the SS models. And as said, ADs allocate the watches.
Ah ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks
Old 23 October 2023, 05:48 PM   #6
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Interesting. The reason I ask is because I was recently in Geneva and made an appointment at the Patek salon (not where I’m getting my Nautilus from).
To add to that Patek will actively discourage you and also ADs to do AD shopping i.e. trying different ADs to get the desired piece e.g. as I live in France Patek politely but firmly suggested I deal exclusively through the Paris boutique.
I am sure there is some sort of centralized registry where they at least keep track of everyone that is asking for a piece and where. They probably don't advertise it very much due to GDPR.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 06:21 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
To add to that Patek will actively discourage you and also ADs to do AD shopping i.e. trying different ADs to get the desired piece e.g. as I live in France Patek politely but firmly suggested I deal exclusively through the Paris boutique.
I am sure there is some sort of centralized registry where they at least keep track of everyone that is asking for a piece and where. They probably don't advertise it very much due to GDPR.
I have heard that before. When I was looking into getting a 5711 as a first new Patek when the market started to heat up I was told by one AD I should not get on their "list" if I was already on another AD's "list" as I wouldn't get the watch at all if I was on multiple lists.

At the same time people on here have reported time and again about shopping at various ADs around the world and some seem to deliberately deal with two or three preferred ADs rather than just one.

As a result I have come to think the above is a myth supported by Patek and the ADs rather than reality. My take is that there is no "penalty" if one shops at different ADs as long as one isn't after application pieces.

Just to add, Patek should know which AD sold a particular watch and they may well do some stats on where you bought the watches you register with them but I don't think they will cross check who is on which AD's waiting list for non-application pieces.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 09:25 PM   #8
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I have heard that before. When I was looking into getting a 5711 as a first new Patek when the market started to heat up I was told by one AD I should not get on their "list" if I was already on another AD's "list" as I wouldn't get the watch at all if I was on multiple lists.

At the same time people on here have reported time and again about shopping at various ADs around the world and some seem to deliberately deal with two or three preferred ADs rather than just one.

As a result I have come to think the above is a myth supported by Patek and the ADs rather than reality. My take is that there is no "penalty" if one shops at different ADs as long as one isn't after application pieces.

Just to add, Patek should know which AD sold a particular watch and they may well do some stats on where you bought the watches you register with them but I don't think they will cross check who is on which AD's waiting list for non-application pieces.

Total myth.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 05:25 PM   #9
Andad

Watch: A few.
Buy a lot of unpopular Rolex watches and overpriced jewellery and if their dollar value is higher than anyone else then they might offer you a sought after model if you are related to the owner of the AD.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 05:32 PM   #10
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
You buy a lot of unpopular Rolex watches and overpriced jewellery and if their dollar value is higher than anyone else then they might offer you a sought after model if you are related to the owner of the AD.
I understand that that’s how it works in a lot of cases, but it wasn’t the case with me. I know it may be hard to believe but this is my first purchase from this AD of any kind. It’s just a unique circumstance with someone who put me on their list years ago and kept their word … apparently honorable people like that still exist.

That aside this isn’t really the question I’m asking. I was just wondering if now that I have a purchase history it can be looked up and recognized by all Patek ADs and company boutiques.
Old 11 October 2023, 06:13 PM   #11
Gent675
"TRF" Member

How does purchase history work?

Quote:
I was just wondering if now that I have a purchase history it can be looked up and recognized by all Patek ADs and company boutiques.

No.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 06:07 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand that that’s how it works in a lot of cases, but it wasn’t the case with me. I know it may be hard to believe but this is my first purchase from this AD of any kind. It’s just a unique circumstance with someone who put me on their list years ago and kept their word … apparently honorable people like that still exist.

That aside this isn’t really the question I’m asking. I was just wondering if now that I have a purchase history it can be looked up and recognized by all Patek ADs and company boutiques.

5172g is trading roughly $20k (even 30k if you get lucky with tax) below retail while it’s a great watch not a shocker that an AD would offer you this watch as a first piece.

Only the AD will care and keep track of your Patek purchases unless it comes to rare handcrafts and minute repeaters - than the AD sends an application to Patek on your behalf and lists the watches you own including maybe some discontinued models you bought at auction / grey market dealer like a 5970 or so

That’s it - there is no history of all your watches like for AP.
Unsure how it works at the salon but I’m sure you have to spend some serious money for them to care about you about special pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 08:02 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
5172g is trading roughly $20k (even 30k if you get lucky with tax) below retail while it’s a great watch not a shocker that an AD would offer you this watch as a first piece.

Only the AD will care and keep track of your Patek purchases unless it comes to rare handcrafts and minute repeaters - than the AD sends an application to Patek on your behalf and lists the watches you own including maybe some discontinued models you bought at auction / grey market dealer like a 5970 or so

That’s it - there is no history of all your watches like for AP.
Unsure how it works at the salon but I’m sure you have to spend some serious money for them to care about you about special pieces

I think OP got a 5712G not 5172G.

With that said, it is not a 5712/1a so it is probably one of the "easier" one. The market seems to have changed as someone I know got a 5164R as a second piece about 6-9 months ago and now is on the approval process for a 5990. His first purchase from this AD was a 7118R about 2 years ago.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:56 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I think OP got a 5712G not 5172G.

With that said, it is not a 5712/1a so it is probably one of the "easier" one. The market seems to have changed as someone I know got a 5164R as a second piece about 6-9 months ago and now is on the approval process for a 5990. His first purchase from this AD was a 7118R about 2 years ago.

Got it my bad - that makes it a much cooler story lol

Old 13 October 2023, 09:12 AM   #15
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
You’re probably right, I shouldn’t be this happy to be getting this as my first PP from my AD.

But for a lowly person that’s not a Patek VIP, in fact barely a P in general. I’m not ashamed to choose to still feel blessed and joyous beyond belief at being offered and trusted with this timepiece. I’m never parting with it, but I appreciate your market appraisal.

Came in a few hours ago in a brinks truck type of delivery service ...Tiffany's doesn't mess around with shipping, it was pretty cool. :)

Old 13 October 2023, 10:30 AM   #16
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re probably right, I shouldn’t be this happy to be getting this as my first PP from my AD.

But for a lowly person that’s not a Patek VIP, in fact barely a P in general. I’m not ashamed to choose to still feel blessed and joyous beyond belief at being offered and trusted with this timepiece. I’m never parting with it, but I appreciate your market appraisal.

Came in a few hours ago in a brinks truck type of delivery service ...Tiffany's doesn't mess around with shipping, it was pretty cool. :)

Congratulations on your beautiful timepiece!
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:58 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

lol touché just misread the ref numbers my bad - great watch congrats especially with the extra sauce aka Tiffany stamp

Old 17 October 2023, 01:09 AM   #18
Enatai252
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congrats on the new addition. Would be a great match to Grigio Scurro
Maybe think about getting a car that color. :)
Enatai252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 10:05 PM   #19
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Patek purchase history at the corporate level is only interesting for application pieces. With that said, applications to get an application piece are still filled out by your AD; so ultimately the AD still controls everything but Patek can say no.

One thing that helps a lot apparently with application pieces is going on the factory tour via your retailer. After completing that I was “allowed to” apply for pieces.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 11:39 PM   #20
soulsea

I appreciate all the answers, and I’ll post pics when the pretty thing gets here. :)

Out of curiosity because I’m obviously new to the PP world, what is an ‘application’ piece?
Old 11 October 2023, 11:43 PM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, maybe in the US but certainly not in Europe. That would be illegal.
Privacy laws are pretty strict in the EU.
Old 12 October 2023, 01:17 AM   #22
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Any minute repeaters, certain enamel pieces and basically anything over 350K USD on the catalogue are all application pieces.

And no, Patek does not decide who gets what on the sports watches. These are sold at the discretion of the AD.

Quote:
I appreciate all the answers, and I’ll post pics when the pretty thing gets here. :)

Out of curiosity because I’m obviously new to the PP world, what is an ‘application’ piece?
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 01:20 AM   #23
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Any minute repeaters, certain enamel pieces and basically anything over 350K USD on the catalogue are all application pieces.

And no, Patek does not decide who gets what on the sports watches. These are sold at the discretion of the AD.
Fancy seeing you here. :)

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12 October 2023, 02:18 PM   #24
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Fancy seeing you here. :)

Thanks for the explanation.

Why fancy seeing unotaz here?

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 02:27 PM   #25
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Why fancy seeing unotaz here?
We interact a lot on rennlist … it’s nice to see a familiar face.
Old 13 October 2023, 01:51 PM   #26
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:

goto pp site, if price not listed. it's application piece ;-)
mostly, some enamel (WT) has price but sill need app
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:43 AM   #27
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Frankly, I don't buy the Patek won't allow the first piece to be a Nautilus/Aquanaut story. AD's get their allocations and they decide who gets what. Of course, application pieces being the exception. If anyone has more in depth knowledge of this subject, please correct me.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:53 AM   #28
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Frankly, I don't buy the Patek won't allow the first piece to be a Nautilus/Aquanaut story. AD's get their allocations and they decide who gets what. Of course, application pieces being the exception. If anyone has more in depth knowledge of this subject, please correct me.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's just something ADs say to get you to buy other pieces first. The only reason I gave it some credence is because it came from the mouth of the Patek salon in Geneva, but I guess they're also trying to push entry level watches.

Ferrari works the same way. Yes there are the very special and icona models at the very top that Ferrari has to approve, but everything below that is at the dealer's discretion. They just tell people that Ferrari won't let them purchase an 812 GTS or Pista without having a Lusso or Roma in their history first, but that's just not true. A dealer can allocate any of those to someone walking off the street with no history, but it's just the lie they tell as the way to sell Romas and Lussos.
Old 13 October 2023, 08:07 AM   #29
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if it's just something ADs say to get you to buy other pieces first. The only reason I gave it some credence is because it came from the mouth of the Patek salon in Geneva, but I guess they're also trying to push entry level watches.

Ferrari works the same way. Yes there are the very special and icona models at the very top that Ferrari has to approve, but everything below that is at the dealer's discretion. They just tell people that Ferrari won't let them purchase an 812 GTS or Pista without having a Lusso or Roma in their history first, but that's just not true. A dealer can allocate any of those to someone walking off the street with no history, but it's just the lie they tell as the way to sell Romas and Lussos.
Are you sure that this is not the Salon policy? I think they have strict policy for selling only to locals, one watch per year and sports model are alternating allocations. The SA there may be referring to their own Salon policy. Mr. Stern will be very busy if he has to approve/review Nautilius/Aquanauts sales at ADs.

For ADs, I don't think Patek has any control for a plain jane sports model.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 12:20 PM   #30
unotaz
"TRF" Member

My first Patek was a 5167R from my AD, so no, Patek doesn't have that rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote