The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2024, 12:50 AM   #31
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
My experience does not support this view. I think others have built good relationships with SAs, as well. People can form friendships anywhere. I try to do that regularly, wherever I go. You can never have too many friends.

KAT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I completely agree. Our relationship has been key to obtaining the watches we have asked for. We understand the wait and others may come before us, but they’ve always come through.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 07:19 AM   #32
BigNasty66
"TRF" Member

You can start up something new with another AD if the old one isn't working or you go gray if you're not ready for the waiting game.
BigNasty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 08:28 PM   #33
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Personally I would never go "gray". Regardless of the honesty of Gray market sellers, I would never be 100% confident that every component of the watch down to the tiniest screw is Rolex made.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:10 AM   #34
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I don’t need a new Rolex bad enough to go grey, I can wait for an AD. And if I don’t get a new Rolex then back to my first point, I don’t need a new Rolex.

And now I’ve got CPO to keep me entertained. I’ll be fine.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:52 AM   #35
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
To be perfectly honest, I can’t afford to go grey. I do hope to add a batgirl next year, (I am on the list), but will need to divest myself of a large portion of my current ridiculously large collection, in otder to add another $10,000 + watch to my growing Rolex stable.. For me, a good AD/SA relationship is not just preferred, it’s a necessity.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:59 AM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
Please join the rest of us in 2024.

What the OP posted is legitimate, it happens and it makes it hard to get the pieces we want.

It happened to me so I know what he means.

fortunately we seem to be returning to pre 2020 conditions. By no means easy, but better than the past 3 years.

When was the last time you walked into an AD and asked for a SS sports model? Please visit one and ask for a GMT or sub and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it's only the buyers willing to play these ADs games that's got it like what some say it is today.So I wonder do these so called special relationship people then sell back to the grey for profit, as the grey market have most all models at crazy money.Or is it because Rolex watches have become little more than £$€ objects and little more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:02 AM   #37
skb1065
"TRF" Member

first time poster, long time lurker!

I prefer the AD relationship because the whole process (while it may seem like a waste of time) is so much more satisfying than buying gray/used , the feeling of getting a package from FedEx versus getting the full AD treatment is night and day
skb1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:57 AM   #38
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I think there is such thing called relationship with the AD, though it is largely dictated by transactional value. Meaning, if you bring enough value to the AD, then your relationship may rank higher enough for a Rolex.

Case in point. I know I have relationship with my AD, because they send me messages every now and then to ask if I was interested in pieces that they can "give me a good price on." The problem is, pretty much all of those watches they message me for are like JLC, Grand Seiko, Breitling and other brands that I have no interest in whatsoever.

To them, my "relationship" is obviously not a Rolex-worthy relationship, lol.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:18 AM   #39
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Part of the problem, a big part, is that too many people don’t have any interest in nice watches, they only want a Rolex.
Old 8 February 2024, 03:49 AM   #40
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

I am of the opinion that self respect is more valuable than fawning and pretending to be even slightly interested in the lives and conversations of a Sales assistant, all in the name of trying to obtain a mass produce item of no real exclusivity. I find the whole notion of "having to build a 'relationship' "pretty shallow. Thankfully in the UK now, more and more, that is not a thing. I know about a dozen ADs within 90 minutes drive where knowing what underpants your SA wears is irrelevant , but being in the right place at the right time is very relevant. A neighbour popped into a dealer in Sussex last month and asked about a SS no date Sub and they said they could get him one in a "few weeks" , he now has it. ZERO buying history and he walked in there with a Seiko Solar on. There are still the sleazy ADs that try and sell you all sorts of crap and promise you the Earth , but the proportion is shrinking. The last Rolex I was offered was a silver dial OP in February 2020 at W Brufords and I also had zero history with them. I declined it [ lovely watch , just 'not me' ] but I did not have to demean myself in anyway to get that opportunity....
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:59 AM   #41
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Money you spend at the AD on non rolex junk + Rolex >>>>> Money you spend at gray
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 04:18 AM   #42
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Remember...you are the customer, you are doing them a favor of SPENDING $$$$$ your money in their establishment, it's not the other way around..

some, will never get it...sad...

tell them off and find another place...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 04:58 AM   #43
Peterflycat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I think there is such thing called relationship with the AD, though it is largely dictated by transactional value. Meaning, if you bring enough value to the AD, then your relationship may rank higher enough for a Rolex.

Case in point. I know I have relationship with my AD, because they send me messages every now and then to ask if I was interested in pieces that they can "give me a good price on." The problem is, pretty much all of those watches they message me for are like JLC, Grand Seiko, Breitling and other brands that I have no interest in whatsoever.

To them, my "relationship" is obviously not a Rolex-worthy relationship, lol.
I guess that goes back to the same point you made: the relationship is all value based. The profit margins on the other brands are higher. I'm sure your allocation will magically arrive when you buy 3 JLCs at MSRP.
Peterflycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:09 AM   #44
Dave O
"TRF" Member

It's become obvious to me after reading several threads about AD relationships that some people just don't like to strike up conversations and build relationships with people. They think it's a waste of their time. And that's fine. But for me, whether it's my AD/SA, the guys at the pro shop at my golf course, the grocery store clerk or wherever - I try to be nice to people and strike up a conversation, get to know the person a little more. It doesn't take much effort, and you'd be surprised what you might learn from someone. And you may also find that they reciprocate. Many of these people that have to deal with the public day in and day out deal with a lot of jerks. Does it take that much time to be nice to them, strike up a conversation with them, ask them how their day is going etc.? It might even brighten their day and a pleasure to talk with someone that isn't being a jerk to them. And by no means is any of this ass kissing - it's just showing an interest in someone.

I love going to my AD. I love looking at all the different watches they have. I love talking to the sales staff not only about watches, but baseball, golf, family stuff etc. I've never bought any jewelry from them and I have never purchased a watch I didn't want. I have also received many different highly desired watches from them with relatively short wait periods. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you rather allocate a watch to someone you have no history with or is a jerk to you whenever you see them or to someone you enjoy being around. Now I'm not saying there aren't cases where someone walks off the street, with no history with the AD and is able to buy a watch. But these are more likely the minority, and not common.

It's not game playing for some of us. We enjoy talking with people and don't see it as a waste of our time. If it's not for you, that's fine. But there is no need to look down on those of us that do.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:18 AM   #45
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
It's become obvious to me after reading several threads about AD relationships that some people just don't like to strike up conversations and build relationships with people. They think it's a waste of their time. And that's fine. But for me, whether it's my AD/SA, the guys at the pro shop at my golf course, the grocery store clerk or wherever - I try to be nice to people and strike up a conversation, get to know the person a little more. It doesn't take much effort, and you'd be surprised what you might learn from someone. And you may also find that they reciprocate. Many of these people that have to deal with the public day in and day out deal with a lot of jerks. Does it take that much time to be nice to them, strike up a conversation with them, ask them how their day is going etc.? It might even brighten their day and a pleasure to talk with someone that isn't being a jerk to them. And by no means is any of this ass kissing - it's just showing an interest in someone.

I love going to my AD. I love looking at all the different watches they have. I love talking to the sales staff not only about watches, but baseball, golf, family stuff etc. I've never bought any jewelry from them and I have never purchased a watch I didn't want. I have also received many different highly desired watches from them with relatively short wait periods. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you rather allocate a watch to someone you have no history with or is a jerk to you whenever you see them or to someone you enjoy being around. Now I'm not saying there aren't cases where someone walks off the street, with no history with the AD and is able to buy a watch. But these are more likely the minority, and not common.

It's not game playing for some of us. We enjoy talking with people and don't see it as a waste of our time. If it's not for you, that's fine. But there is no need to look down on those of us that do.
I understand what you're saying, although I think when most people hear talk about "building a relationship," there's a strong insinuation that this is *mostly* a financial relationship - like the OP suggests.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 07:01 AM   #46
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
I understand what you're saying, although I think when most people hear talk about "building a relationship," there's a strong insinuation that this is *mostly* a financial relationship - like the OP suggests.
I think you are right that many people here interpret the word “relationship” differently. Some interpret the fundamental kindness of human conversation as demeaning, others think they are doing the AD a favor just by showing up with a pocket full of money. Many of us just like to talk with like minded people about subjects shared in common, including watches. Despite these vivid imaginary descriptions of personal debasement that the naysayers flog all that the proponents of “relationships” are talking about is simply being nice. For those arguing against being nice who hurt you?
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:45 AM   #47
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Have people here never heard of a business relationship? Customer gives an establishment their loyalty, and business in turn takes care of customer over some guy off the street.
I assume the people complaining here don’t like airline frequent flier plans, hotel loyalty programs, and getting a last minute table at the restaurant at which you’re a regular.

I swear, some of the people here must not exist in the real world.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:51 AM   #48
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
Remember...you are the customer, you are doing them a favor of SPENDING $$$$$ your money in their establishment, it's not the other way around..

This is the fundamental reason we have so many Karens in the world. Entitlement because they have money.

Giving someone money for nothing is a favor. Giving someone money in exchange for something of value is a transaction. I have something they want (money) and they have something I want (good or service). If you think about these things as a mutually beneficial transaction, I promise life will go better for you. You should give it a try.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:15 PM   #49
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Have people here never heard of a business relationship? Customer gives an establishment their loyalty, and business in turn takes care of customer over some guy off the street.
I assume the people complaining here don’t like airline frequent flier plans, hotel loyalty programs, and getting a last minute table at the restaurant at which you’re a regular.

I swear, some of the people here must not exist in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
This is the fundamental reason we have so many Karens in the world. Entitlement because they have money.

Giving someone money for nothing is a favor. Giving someone money in exchange for something of value is a transaction. I have something they want (money) and they have something I want (good or service). If you think about these things as a mutually beneficial transaction, I promise life will go better for you. You should give it a try.
Well said.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:35 PM   #50
KatGirl

Seeking advice for AD relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post

Very well said, Dave. Unfortunately, there is a whole group of guys here, who just don’t see what is very clear to you, me, Kevin, and many others. We are simply treating staff at our ADs, as we treat everyone else in our lives: with simple human kindness. It takes no extra effort, and we enjoy our time spent, at the AD. I get excited every time I make the trip. I know I’m going to get to talk about watches, which is one of my passions, and catch up with old friends, which is how I see the people there. On Saturday, I showed them some of my wedding pics, because they asked to see them. They were genuinely interested, because we had formed a relationship, over the past few years. My SA told us about the plans for her daughter’s upcoming wedding, in the fall. The fact that I happened to walk out with a beautiful new Datejust, was simply the icing on the cake. What a great time, and a great day.

Kat

Old 8 February 2024, 02:31 PM   #51
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Very well said, Dave. Unfortunately, there is a whole group of guys here, who just don’t see what is very clear to you, me, Kevin, and many others. We are simply treating staff at our ADs, as we treat everyone else in our lives: with simple human kindness. It takes no extra effort, and we enjoy our time spent, at the AD. I get excited every time I make the trip. I know I’m going to get to talk about watches, which is one of my passions, and catch up with old friends, which is how I see the people there. On Saturday, I showed them some of my wedding pics, because they asked to see them. They were genuinely interested, because we had formed a relationship, over the past few years. My SA told us about the plans for her daughter’s upcoming wedding, in the fall. The fact that I happened to walk out with a beautiful new Datejust, was simply the icing on the cake. What a great time, and a great day.

Kat

Hello. I’m glad you have a had a great experience with this AD, but please don’t assume those that don’t are being arrogant or are acting entitled

I live in the area and visited this AD several times since mid 2022. I regularly visited and had great conversations with 3 SA’s there. Just before Christmas 2022, I was offered a watch that I wanted but in a different precious metal. I politely declined and and said I would like to wait for what I really wanted. This happened while I was out of town

When I returned back home, I dropped by and met the SA who texted me, and he said he didn’t really have a watch for me, and that he was gauging me. I didn’t say anything to that

Later I was offered a Tudor green dial watch in gold with a leather strap for over $20k - something I said I was not interested in

After that I could tell my subsequent visits became useless. One of the girls there would take out her iPad and “check me in” and make some vague comments

I had expressed interest in several watches and got to know three SA’s on a personal level. I was even told that they were getting more watches than ever and that I just had wait a while

I even told them that my daughter was graduating from college in 2023 and would love to get her a small size OP as a gift for her. They noted that

After several visits, I just stopped going there. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I won’t ever visit them again.

Of course this experience is not unique to Rolex. I have had similar things happen at PP and AP. The only exception I have personally seen to this FPJ, though I’m sure others have had negative experiences there as well.

I have decided now I will wait and buy grey only going forward. The market does seem to becoming more rational now

Again I’m happy you were treated well, but please don’t assume that others are doing something wrong when an AD plays games with them

Please believe me. I know how to treat people. I have been in sales for 3 decades, with several relationships going back to when I started
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:05 PM   #52
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I hear you GK12345EMAIL.

I'd like to hear from others who have had a long term relationship with an AD so we can see if their approach changed after covid hit.

My AD of 25 years lost their Rolex account at the beginning of covid so I will never know if they would have treated me differently once demand went through the roof.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 04:24 PM   #53
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post

Not when you can flip it for major profits - in that case they are giving you free cash knowingly.
In normal times I would agree with you. Nowadays, not at all. Seems like you've never taken part in any sort of VIP event whatsoever.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:56 PM   #54
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL View Post
Hello. I’m glad you have a had a great experience with this AD, but please don’t assume those that don’t are being arrogant or are acting entitled

I live in the area and visited this AD several times since mid 2022. I regularly visited and had great conversations with 3 SA’s there. Just before Christmas 2022, I was offered a watch that I wanted but in a different precious metal. I politely declined and and said I would like to wait for what I really wanted. This happened while I was out of town

When I returned back home, I dropped by and met the SA who texted me, and he said he didn’t really have a watch for me, and that he was gauging me. I didn’t say anything to that

Later I was offered a Tudor green dial watch in gold with a leather strap for over $20k - something I said I was not interested in

After that I could tell my subsequent visits became useless. One of the girls there would take out her iPad and “check me in” and make some vague comments

I had expressed interest in several watches and got to know three SA’s on a personal level. I was even told that they were getting more watches than ever and that I just had wait a while

I even told them that my daughter was graduating from college in 2023 and would love to get her a small size OP as a gift for her. They noted that

After several visits, I just stopped going there. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I won’t ever visit them again.

Of course this experience is not unique to Rolex. I have had similar things happen at PP and AP. The only exception I have personally seen to this FPJ, though I’m sure others have had negative experiences there as well.

I have decided now I will wait and buy grey only going forward. The market does seem to becoming more rational now

Again I’m happy you were treated well, but please don’t assume that others are doing something wrong when an AD plays games with them

Please believe me. I know how to treat people. I have been in sales for 3 decades, with several relationships going back to when I started

My AD only sells Rolex, though their other location(S) may sell Tudor. To be clear, I never used the words “arrogant” or “entitled” to describe anyone here. I only talked about how I treat the staff, at my AD, and vice versa, and related how it has worked out, for me. I am sorry you had a less than satisfactory relationship, with your own AD. Cheers!

Kat
Old 8 February 2024, 06:03 PM   #55
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well it's only the buyers willing to play these ADs games that's got it like what some say it is today.So I wonder do these so called special relationship people then sell back to the grey for profit, as the grey market have most all models at crazy money.Or is it because Rolex watches have become little more than £$€ objects and little more.

No doubt some people cultivating relationships are doing so to feed their purchases into the grey market.

I’ve never sold any of my watches, and I spend 6 figure multiples every year.

But I still need to play the game. Meaning visits, phone calls, referrals etc etc. whatever it takes to be kept in consideration for the watches I want. It’s relationship building for sure, but it is how it’s done these days. And it’s why I get good pieces and others who don’t put in the same effort, mostly don’t get the watches that I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 02:04 AM   #56
Peterflycat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL View Post

Echo your post! I don't think most of people here have any problems in making friends at work or in our personal life, and I always treat my SA with friendship and respect, but that still doesn't seem to overcome the "waitlist” much effectively. I'm sure you can make real personal friends with your SA in an ideal situation and I'm really happy (and somewhat jealous) if that's happening for some members as mentioned in their posts. But in some cases, when dealing with an AD that sits in a high-income high-population metro area and makes most of their profits on jewelry, I really start to question how much personal charm can overweigh purchase history.
Peterflycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 04:29 PM   #57
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterflycat View Post
Echo your post! I don't think most of people here have any problems in making friends at work or in our personal life, and I always treat my SA with friendship and respect, but that still doesn't seem to overcome the "waitlist” much effectively. I'm sure you can make real personal friends with your SA in an ideal situation and I'm really happy (and somewhat jealous) if that's happening for some members as mentioned in their posts. But in some cases, when dealing with an AD that sits in a high-income high-population metro area and makes most of their profits on jewelry, I really start to question how much personal charm can overweigh purchase history.
Besides watch collecting I collect exotic cars. In early conversations the topic came up and and since then I've invited my SA to private Lambo and a RR events. I don't think it will change the dynamic of getting or not getting a desired piece.

I think spend history influences the powers that be. All they can do is make a request to those in power and plead their case why a specific client deserves anything.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote