The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 January 2024, 06:55 AM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

GADA Watch Comparison (Long Post): Pelagos FXD (Black) versus Submariner 116610 LN

This is my 4000th forum post (thanks to all forum members for keeping this forum so interesting!!). Consequently, I decided to make it a long, but hopefully useful, post rather than the inane trite I usually impose on the forum…

For those yet unaware (as was I until recently): GADA = Go Anywhere Do Anything

I received a Tudor Pelagos FXD for Christmas from my wonderful wife. It is the newest version with the Black dial and elapsed time bezel. Given that I have the super case Submariner 116610, I was not really in the market for another diver until I saw one in person.

IMG_0445.jpeg

I don't consider water resistance ratings, as I will never intentionally go more than 10 feet under water. And, if I do, my wife threw me overboard.

Overall Design

As much as I love the design of every series of the Submariner, I have come to wonder whether the six digit series are pushing too far to the fancy side at times. There are situations when this may not be desired, such as when a “gentleman” outside of a train station took notice of my Submariner and actively started grasping for my arm.

The FXD makes no pretense of fanciness. The chamfered edges of the FXD are similar to those of a titanium Omega Seamaster that I wore for years whose eased edges deflected the impacts that tend to leave dings and dents along the side edges of my Submariner. The lack of a bracelet is actually more of a benefit than I anticipated as it allows for an even more comfortable fit than the Glidelock clasp of the Sub.

While the Submariner will always be my call for dressier events, the FXD perfectly fits my current, post-retirement need for a more tool-oriented, and under the radar, watch for most daily activities such as rock scrambling, working in the shop, travel and other outdoor adventures.

Hands, Dials and Bezel:

I like both Mercedes and Snowflake hands equally. However, I really do prefer the matte dial on the FXD.

The 120 click bezel of the Submariner is like closing the door of a Mercedes whereas the 60 click engagement on the Tudor is like closing the door on an older Landcruiser. Both are satisfying, but in a vastly different way. The FXD bezel, with its more prominent knurled edges, is much easier to grasp and turn, especially with gloved or wet hands. And I really dig the fully-lumed bezel indices of the FXD.

IMG_3003.jpeg

Strap or Bracelet???

I simply love the Rolex Glidelock clasp and bracelet. In fact, I have decided against many watches (including, stupidly, a BLRO) because their bracelets cannot hold a candle to the Glidelock. Yet there are times, such as when running or xc skiing that I leave the Submariner at home as even a slight degree of play can be annoying.

The strap options for the FXD give it a clear advantage in these rougher activities. There are dozens of options for the FXD - including models from Crown & Buckle, Watchbandit and Erika’s Originals.

I have had the chance to try several of these straps, including the Tudor nylon and rubber straps that came with the watch. The clear winner for me was the Erika’s Originals single pass strap specifically made for the FXD. This company offers dozens of color options and their bead blasted hardware perfectly matches the FXD’s titanium case. The sliding buckle design allows infinite adjustment that even surpasses the comfort of glidelock clasp of the Submariner band.

IMG_0441.jpeg

Here are the other straps I have purchased from top to bottom:

1. WatchBandit Premium Perlon – great fabric but the strap is too thin, allowing the risk of the watch head easily sliding off the strap when off the wrist.
2. Crown & Buckle Bond – Wonderful fabric
3. Crown & Buckle Chevron- Ditto

IMG_3016.jpeg

Case Finishing:

The FXD is very well finished with a clear emphasis on function over form.
The Submariner obviously finished to a finer degree but, for me, the high polish finish and sharp lug edges tend to show rough wear much more. I would actually prefer for Rolex to chamfer the case edges of the Submariner and brush the case sides as well.

Movement Quality and accuracy:

I have found the 3135 in my Sub to maintain +2 to +6 reliably over the years I have owned it. Since it’s 10 year service, it has maintained +3 for months.

The FXD MT 5602 is even MORE accurate so far, maintaining +1 (compared with Iphone) since I have had it. Happily, I am one of those people who have no complaints with Tudor swapping out the movement with a new or refurbished 5602 at service as I really do not have a sentimental attachment to a movement. Especially if the practice can cut my service wait in half.

Titanium versus Steel:

I am actually glad to have a titanium watch back in rotation as I love the lighter weight of this material in a watch. I have longed dreamt of a ti Submariner and was overjoyed to see the YM 42 announced. It is a simply stunning watch (Yes, I have seen it in person and tried it on). Yet, I really have other things to spend $14k on, even if I could buy one tomorrow. Bike addiction rears its ugly head from time to time.

The lighter weight is not for everyone and I can see how some may connote this with a feeling of cheapness. However, for my active lifestyle, titanium cannot be beat as the watch simply disappears on my wrist – something the Submariner never managed. I have already taken the FXD swimming, xc skiing and running and never once noticed it was there whereas I would leave the Sub at home for these types of activities as I always felt the weight swinging on my arm.

Conclusion:

After one month of near constant wear, I am shocked to find myself reaching for the FXD over the Sub nearly every morning. It has become my GADA watch. Let’s see if this continues to hold true or whether this is simply a newness attraction.

This is surprising as I only intended it to complement the Submariner in those situations where I needed a lighter watch or one I did not have to worry about beating up. The FXD is simply a better fit for my current 99% casual, post-retirement lifestyle. If I was still employed in a professional setting, the Submariner would win and remain my GADA choice.

With this realization, there is no way I would sell the Submariner, however, as I fully intend to continue wearing it as a nicer occasion watch for dinners out with the wife and formal events as they arise.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote