The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26 March 2024, 07:16 AM   #1
abrosz
"TRF" Member

Advice on secondary market AP purchase

Hi all.

I don't post here much, but I figured this community would be more helpful than the AP boutique points of sale and APNA. I have inquired with AP and its boutiques for 5 years now about several pieces of interest. I have repeatedly been steered toward Code 11:59s, Offshores, Ladies pieces, and a Remaster 01 that I haven't asked about.

Most recently, I had an hour-long conversation with the manager at the NYC flagship boutique. She provided me with excuse after excuse for why AP couldn't sell me a piece. What really grabbed my attention was the fact that AP own boutiques quite literally have no idea what they'll be sent or when. She has no insight into what the boutique will be allocated or when it will arrive. She is unable to provide any sort of time frame on when I might be able to buy anything on my interest list (Royal Oaks and a Code 11). She also flat out informed me that new clients aren't getting allocations right now due to demand. I refuse to wait another 4-5 years for a simple time/date piece, particularly if that first piece has to be a Code 11:59 that can be purchased at less than retail.

Give 4-5 years of the same song and dance, I've decided to go secondary market. Question to the forum is several fold:

1) Any references on reputable secondary market dealers or where to start with this purchase?
2) Any advice on determining a fair market value for various pieces? Is there a resource to help determine this?
3) Chrono24 has numerous references, but most seem to be market up quite a bit higher than I would expect. Any guesses as to how much over fair market value the markups are?
4) I have a 7" wrist. Anyone have a strong guide on how the 39mm RO will wear compared to a 41mm RO? I was able to see and try on a 41, but not the 39.

Any useful advice on how to approach this when the time comes would be appreciated.
abrosz is offline   Reply With Quote