The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12 March 2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

I've owned a number of brands....

I've owned 6 Rolexes, 1 JLC, 4 GPs, 3 Breitlings, 6Panerais, and a host of Seiko, Ball, Luminox, Timex and on and on.

I've recently sold my Deepsea, and my gold GMT Master II C, but would consider the new SS Submariner if it comes out, or even the TT. Love the look, the maxi-dial, the glidelock, and Rolex's durability. Don't like how small the dials are, even on the Deepsea.

I have a Super Avenger now. Really durable, large enough sub-dials for my almost 60 year old eyes to see. Love the accuracy, comfort of the watch despite the weight on the Pro II bracelet.

The only thing I don't like is that it is probably just a little too big and a lot too flashy. The same watch in brushed SS would probably be better. The COSC timekeeping is just as good as Rolex, and you get the date, the chrono, the timer bezel, and lume about on par with the better Rolexes.

My new Seiko auto 200 meter SRP 043 is a $300 watch and I put a waterproof Chronissimo strap on it. Keeping as good of time as either of the "better" brands, and the lumibrite lume blows both of the other brands into the weeds. Finely ratcheting timing bezel, and the hardlex crystal seems just fine. Makes me wonder a little bit as to why I ever bought a Deepsea, or worse, a gold GMT Master II C. For a daily use watch this inexpensive Seiko is just as good or better than the others if you don't need the chrono, and you really don't. I think if one can get past not looking "rich" with a Rolex on your wrist, a Seiko Marine Master is probably the best all around sport watch you could buy for less than any of these other brands.

The Panerais are a style comment and a group of really terrific people who share a passion. I never get the feeling of durability out of my Panerais that I get out of Rolex, Breitling, Seiko, and Omega.

I've had Omega Speedmasters, POs and PO chronos. Great watches except for the stupid helium release knob on the case.

If I'm buying a watch for showing to other people, I go with Rolex. Well recognized, far more durable than either my JLC or GP experiences except the Seahawk II Pro XL, which is also fabulous.

If I'm buying a watch purely for function, great lume, great legibility, I'd go Seiko and probably a Marine Master.

From there, every single one of these brands makes truly excellent watches, and if we all had to live with any one of these brands we'd still be incredibly lucky. I don't think there are any wrong answers here.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote