The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: ROO vs CODE
Royal Oak Offshore 43 Taupe 29 59.18%
Steel Code 11.59 Blue Dial 20 40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 July 2023, 03:04 AM   #1
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Next piece?

I'm currently building up my AP portfolio and have a ROO Diver and a RO. I'm not sure if I want to get a 43 Taupe or a blue dial steel code as my next piece. I am hoping to build up to a jumbo so I imagine the code will help with collection diversity, but man the taupe looks good. What would you guys go for?
Gandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 03:09 AM   #2
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
I'm currently building up my AP portfolio and have a ROO Diver and a RO. I'm not sure if I want to get a 43 Taupe or a blue dial steel code as my next piece. I am hoping to build up to a jumbo so I imagine the code will help with collection diversity, but man the taupe looks good. What would you guys go for?

You’re probably those 2 pieces away from a Jumbo, so wouldn’t really matter which order you go. If you love the Taupe then go for it, the Code should be even easier to pick up after.
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 03:12 AM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

Tough one!
The 43s are so good. I have one and am also planning on the same blue ss code as you.
I have a diver too and would say I’d rather have my 43 than the code. So maybe go w that first then the code then it’ll be time for the jumbo.
So what I’m saying I guess is both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 03:18 AM   #4
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
can't go with either one.
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 03:25 AM   #5
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Next piece?

If you value a little diversity, go for the Code first since you’ve already got an Offshore. But in reality, you could just tell your SA those are your next two targets and whatever come in first will be your next choice.

I think it requires more than three to get a 39mm RO or even a blue dial RO.

srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 07:56 AM   #6
impactplayer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
If you value a little diversity, go for the Code first since you’ve already got an Offshore. But in reality, you could just tell your SA those are your next two targets and whatever come in first will be your next choice.

I think it requires more than three to get a 39mm RO or even a blue dial RO.

While there will obviously be some variation from person-to-person and boutique-to-boutique, I agree with this. I've purchased a ladies RO, ROO and Code from my boutique (and also have a RO purchased grey and ROO purchased from an overseas AP House) and have been asking my SA for a blue dial (open to OR or ST, RO or ROC, or of course jumbo) and was told the dreaded "will be difficult." I'm just going to be patient and hope for the best. I was recently allocated a blue dial RG Overseas, so that will hold me over for quite a while.

For the OP, I like the suggestion of telling your SA that you're open to either of those and just take whichever arrives first. They're both great pieces.
impactplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 08:18 AM   #7
NB614
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP / PP / Rolex
I strongly believe you should only buy what you truly love and enjoy, but you should also sit down with your SA and have a serious conversation about a road map for your collection.

My SA recently asked me what I would be interested in being allocated for the last quarter of the year, but I didn't have an official response. I like the 43 ROO and I like the CODEs, but none of the current metal/dial combinations really speak to me. And with only 3 pieces in my AP collection (RO, ROOC, ROO Diver), I didn't want to over extend myself and ask for things like a ceramic ROC, jumbo, openwork, etc.

To my surprise, he was actually delighted to hear that and said we should proceed with applying for a jumbo. He also said that he was extremely influential in the application process and while purchasing a ROO or CODE in the meantime would help, its not at all necessary.

Perhaps you will find the same luck by having a similar conversation with your SA.
NB614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 09:19 AM   #8
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What size is your wrist and what is in the rest of your non-AP collection?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 10:33 AM   #9
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
What size is your wrist and what is in the rest of your non-AP collection?
6.25 but fairly flat so the offshores are just on the cusp of being way too big. The 43 actually has a smaller lug to lug than the diver so it should fit better than the diver and I'm already comfortably wearing that and the 41 RO. The collection right now outside of AP is mostly rolex with a batgirl, milgauss, datejust 36, moonwatch, a tank, and a couple casios.

Gandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 11:34 AM   #10
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
6.25 but fairly flat so the offshores are just on the cusp of being way too big. The 43 actually has a smaller lug to lug than the diver so it should fit better than the diver and I'm already comfortably wearing that and the 41 RO. The collection right now outside of AP is mostly rolex with a batgirl, milgauss, datejust 36, moonwatch, a tank, and a couple casios.

Firstly, great collection.
Secondly, the diver looks great on you. And I am confident the 43mm taupe would too as well.
Thirdly, I'd take whichever comes first. If i had to pick, it'll be the 43mm taupe. I'm personally biased as i'm obssessed with the taupe. My most worn AP by far.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote