The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2020, 01:37 PM   #61
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Not to be a Doug Downer.....but just about everyday I visit my moms grave. I sit there everyday....look at her headstone, the place my dad will one day lie, and the hundreds of stones around her........the reality is....beyond a certain point, your money doesn’t matter. Your overpriced cars and boats are waste of money. Your McMansion means nothing. And the long hours you work for any business that doesn’t have your name on the door will absolutely be a regret. Six months ago, while I held her and watched her pass on, I was slammed by these facts. The only thing that mattered were the memories I had with her. That was it. Her money, her career, her crap, etc etc didn’t mean s$&t. Nothing. And since then, I’ve been trying to reframe my life in that context. I’ve have two GMT’s....one for each of my girls to have when I’m gone....and I will buy one more for me. And that’s one material thing I’m okay with. Because unlike a car that’s virtually worthless, my watches track the moments of my life and each second that passes by. At this point I’m rambling, but my focus now is relationships and experiences....period. Hell I might even finally get my youngest kiddo a dog. Hell hath frozen over.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 03:21 PM   #62
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
OP - from your post it would appear you’ve enjoyed material wealth either from your industriousness or family. Regardless, the human heart is never really satisfied with material objects of this world. Some of the wealthiest men in the world have come to the same realization you’ve arrived at. A new, larger yacht. A new G650. Another mansion in some other part of the world. A younger, prettier woman. Another company. Whatever it is. There’s always something else to acquire. And while you may enjoy temporary satisfaction and the high that comes from fulfilling the desire. It’s fleeting.

As you’ve noted, you have a collection that many would be proud of, but after all this time - there’s no feeling there.

If you haven’t already done so, perhaps read some of the early ascetics or study some of the world religions, most of which teach some form of asceticism. Another post references the lasting joy that comes from giving vs. acquiring. Perhaps contemplate giving something away that is special to you - to a friend or loved one. Maybe commit to serving the poor or needy on a day off.

One doesn’t have to look far for people in need today.

I hope you find the contentment and peace you are seeking. For me contentment comes in many forms. The love I share here on earth with my family and friends. The ability to give of my time and talents serving others who are in need. My faith. Watching my children grow up. These are the things that bring me contentment.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 03:40 PM   #63
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
It’s all about the chase, it seems in life we are always chasing.
Old 28 April 2020, 03:47 PM   #64
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
It’s all about the chase, it seems in life we are always chasing.
Yeah, I agree with this, and the OPs, sentiment. Thrill of the purchase is high on the list (the exception being a few items I own, including my Rolex, that have sentimental value!).
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 05:00 PM   #65
cglondon
"TRF" Member

In 2013 I was working in London and decided to quit the job I had for 10 years and go to see some of the world. I bought a RTW ticket for America, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and Thailand. That trip cost me £14k and I was gone for six months.

I ended up in Australia working on an Oyster Farm after that, watching dolphins swimming up to the boat most mornings to say hi.

I ended that trip to take a chance with a local girl from my hometown. 5 years later, we are waking up in our first home together, in the early, early stages of pregnancy.

Every time I look at my CasioRoyale, SKX or Seamaster, they remind me of all the beautiful things this world has to offer. Even though, those watches didn't come along for the ride, they are priceless to me.

To the OP, as others have mentioned, I would suggest trying to focus on creating memories. Maybe sell all but one, go and have an adventure with that watch. You might end up looking at that dial differently after that.

All the best.
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 05:34 PM   #66
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

edit
Old 28 April 2020, 05:36 PM   #67
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDhc View Post
This doesn't describe my experience with watches. They do make me happy and they do have a soul to them. I think what you describe sounds depressing and if we all felt that way, this forum wouldn't exist. I love my watches. They are a bright sunny part of my life.
Well said
Old 28 April 2020, 06:56 PM   #68
rob1200
"TRF" Member

Great post and lots of thought-provoking comments in this thread.

I'm on a wait list for my very first Rolex, and now I'm wondering how content I'll be once I have it. I wasn't expecting to be talked out of buying a Rolex on the Rolex Forums.

rob1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 07:06 PM   #69
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Wilsdorf designed the watch to give the wearer a lifetime of loyal service .I think he would find the idea of owning more than one Rolex strange .It was never the intend.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 10:18 PM   #70
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingstaystheking7 View Post
Recently more than ever I’ve been contemplating the fact that buying a valuebale watch doesn’t make me happy so to say. I’ve been into watches for most of my life . Remember being 18 and buying myself my first luxury watch, was a great feeling ... then it faded out . Remember buying myself my first Rolex at 20 , was a great feeling ... then it faded out. Part of me loved the watch, being young and naive part of me also wanted others to notice me because of my watch. Over the years nickle and diming, buying, selling, flipping, giving watches... I have a collection quite a lot of people would be proud of but still... not much feeling there. To this day I carry the theory around with me in my mind that “it’s cool untill you own it” and damn that hits home with me, big time.
Recently more than ever it’s so much about what’s in at the moment or “what’s hot”. Wrist watches being glorified and more popular than it seems ever before has sort of chipped away at the armour for me so to speak. I don’t exactly know what I’m trying to necessarily get at here but maybe one day I’ll feel fulfilled with my watch(es), maybe one day I might not own a watch at all, but untill then I am still on the pursuit of ... contentment.

I then should consider myself lucky as I never had that kind contradicting feelings.
Everything I’ve ever owned after a good wait is still making me smile. After years and year of ownership.
My 2000 model Cartier “now on my wife’s wrist” is still telling me too much stories we’ve lived together. My 2009 leica M9 is still my preferred system even now in 2020.
However, I’m not a hardcore buyer, never been the guy who always get the newest and coolest, I instead been a sucker for good design, history and quality which makes me keep appreciating what I got even after years of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 April 2020, 10:37 PM   #71
zzup
"TRF" Member

But.. can we see your collection? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zzup is offline   Reply With Quote