The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2012, 11:49 AM   #31
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
Not that you want to leave Rolex but getting a Titanium watch should solve the problem as well, it's well known as being a hypoallergenic alloy. Several brands make Ti models including Breitling and Hamilton. I have a Ti Hamilton Frogman, really nice, it's all Ti including the bracelet. The thing is light as a feather. I love titanium, too bad Rolex doesn't use it.

Quote: "Titanium is completely hypoallergenic. In fact, titanium is the most hypoallergenic material known to man"
http://www.4facets.com/titanium.html
w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 11:53 AM   #32
bits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP
My wife has the same nickel allergy. We found that 18K (or higher) yellow gold and white gold that uses palladium instead of nickel is OK.
bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 11:54 AM   #33
Sam Philip
Banned

It could be a nickel allergy, I would consult a dermatologist. It is a good excuse for you to buy an all gold rolex!
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 01:09 PM   #34
gslaskin

You may have a rare condition called "Rolexitis". The only known effective treatment is to wear a Casio G-Shock indefinitely.
gslaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 01:27 PM   #35
Lagunatic
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslaskin View Post
You may have a rare condition called "Rolexitis". The only known effective treatment is to wear a Casio G-Shock indefinitely.
Lagunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 03:46 PM   #36
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rmk View Post
Not that you want to leave Rolex but getting a Titanium watch should solve the problem as well, it's well known as being a hypoallergenic alloy. Several brands make Ti models including Breitling and Hamilton. I have a Ti Hamilton Frogman, really nice, it's all Ti including the bracelet. The thing is light as a feather. I love titanium, too bad Rolex doesn't use it.

Quote: "Titanium is completely hypoallergenic. In fact, titanium is the most hypoallergenic material known to man"
http://www.4facets.com/titanium.html
Recently just bought a Jaeger Master Compressor Diving chrono, was on full tit bracelet too.. Wore it under similar conditions, maybe 3 times total. Didn't bother me, something to think about, however it was so much lighter it wasn't moving around on the wrist like my Rolex's do..

Anyway I sold it, I hated the feel of titanium, and after only 3 times wearing it, it collected so many scratches.. And i'm ANAL with my watches, and usually all of my SS piece never or hardly get scratches lol
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 04:00 PM   #37
kymwatchlog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its quite possible you have a nickel allergy try giving your bracelet a good wash in soap and water please post a picture of your watch.
....and a pic of the rash....

j/k :)

hope it clears soon
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 10:54 PM   #38
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Reviving an old thread, as I have been having an issue lately. I put on a cheap, old watch before heading to the gym. 15 minutes later, I pulled the watch off and noticed that it was itchy underneath. Within a day, I had a red mark on my wrist. Since then, I've been wearing my PO 2500 every day. It still hasn't gone away, and some days, it seems to be getting worse.

I'm thinking about switching over to my TAG Heuer Carrera for a week or so, as it has a display caseback. I'll see if the crystal caseback affects this rash at all. I've worn a bunch of Omegas, Breitling, Rolex, etc, over the last couple years, so I can't imagine it's this particular watch, but that short period of time wearing a Pulsar.

If I have to, I guess this is reason to upgrade to the Planet Ocean 8500!

I won't imbed the pic, as it's kind of weird, but here's a picture of the rash with a little ointment on it. It's worse than some of the other pics I've seen. :(

http://imgur.com/XDe17RO
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 01:07 PM   #39
Jillie Lim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
After reading thru all the posts here, I thought that I must have been allergic to the nickel content of the Jubilee bracelet of my Rollie, as I have been developing rashes on and off.

However, last nite I finally had the chance to test for the Nickel content on the bracelet using the Nickel Detect which I bought shipped from Athena Allergy.

To my surprise, there is no trace of Nickel on the bracelet at all. Now Im really dumbfounded. What else does the alloy contain that can cause the allergy?

Does anyone here know?!?
Jillie Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 01:35 PM   #40
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

As a physician with Allergy/ Immunology training, I would not take a contact dermatitis related to Nickel lightly! It is best to avoid re-exposure. Is this the correct watch for you? Get Allergy testing and go from there. Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is the safest course.
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 11:22 PM   #41
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Bill
1) switch wrists for wearing your watches (the ones that had never caused a rash).
2) avoid using that cheap old watch.
3) have a professional treat the inflamed wrist.
4) once healed you can return to wearing watches on either wrist.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 11:51 PM   #42
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
My rash cleared up after a little over a month of not wearing any watch. Since then, I've had another Rolex, and a few other watches, and it hasn't come back. If I'm going to be doing any kind of physical activity where I may sweat, I leave the watch off. I don't worry about babying the watches, but the sweating causes the reaction.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2013, 02:11 AM   #43
c.rod
"TRF" Member

cant stay with rolex, but there are plenty of titanium watches out there that are hypoallergenic....
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2013, 04:07 AM   #44
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
We want pics !

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 03:33 AM   #45
RFHippo
"TRF" Member

I had my Dad's old DateJust serviced by Rolex including polish and it gave me a rash. I was worried about nickel. But I've not had issues on other stainless steel watches. This one is 316

But I scrubbed it with soap water and saw a lot of dark grey residue come off (steel powder? Polishing compound?) . I'm wearing it now, no issues for a few hours...
RFHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 08:01 AM   #46
robain
"TRF" Member

Titanium Pelagos is the answer
robain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 08:11 AM   #47
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Sorry to hear OP. I would switch to 4 and pre 904L 5 digit, 316L steel Rolex watches, or go all out and treat myself to full gold

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote