The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2020, 07:47 AM   #211
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=mgsooner;10544619]Took this photo last night. I held the camera as far away from my wrist as I possibly could then cropped/zoomed in. IMHO some of the The Great Lug Controversy is driven by zoomed in/blown up photos on the net. In real life settings, at real life viewing distances, it is much less of an issue. At least for me.

My sentiments exactly. I’m wearing my 114060 and looking at it right now, the lugs don’t even appear as fat as in your picture, which I agree, is much more accurate than most pics of this watch on the web.
BTW Matt, as a fellow Tulsan, we’re you able to source your 114060 and your Explorer locally?
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 08:12 AM   #212
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
My sentiments exactly. I’m wearing my 114060 and looking at it right now, the lugs don’t even appear as fat as in your picture, which I agree, is much more accurate than most pics of this watch on the web.
BTW Matt, as a fellow Tulsan, we’re you able to source your 114060 and your Explorer locally?
Greetings, good to see another Tulsan here! Of the two Rolex ADs here in town I was fortunate enough to source my Explorer from one and the Sub from the other. Hoping to be able to continue those relationships someday, once this whole mess is over.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 11:46 PM   #213
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Greetings, good to see another Tulsan here! Of the two Rolex ADs here in town I was fortunate enough to source my Explorer from one and the Sub from the other. Hoping to be able to continue those relationships someday, once this whole mess is over.
I lucked into my 114060 at one of the local ADs in 2018. Have checked both for a 214270 a few times, but no luck yet. Probably a good thing I haven’t checked in a while because I don’t need to be spending that $ on a watch right now, but might not be able to resist if I did go in there and they had one!
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 02:09 AM   #214
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
I wasn’t against the 5 digit version, but I like the 6 digit enough to buy one.

This.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 05:41 AM   #215
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
They do say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
In that case, I’m happy to find common intellectual ground with you. That said, I’m happy I don’t share the terrible attitude and constant negativity.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 01:45 PM   #216
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Looks awesome on you!

[QUOTE=brandrea;10538342]The lugs of the 6 digits look perfect to me. The design actually harkens back to earlier references.

I think Rolex simply tweaked design cues from these, which is what they've always done ... subtle nuanced changes.

Anyway, I agree, there's something for everyone thankfully and if you think its got ugly lugs, there's a 5 digit out there for you

Brian! Just awesome! I’m thinking of grabbing one myself! Had one and traded now I miss it!
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 09:51 PM   #217
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
[QUOTE=Greg5512;10548808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The lugs of the 6 digits look perfect to me. The design actually harkens back to earlier references.

I think Rolex simply tweaked design cues from these, which is what they've always done ... subtle nuanced changes.

Anyway, I agree, there's something for everyone thankfully and if you think its got ugly lugs, there's a 5 digit out there for you

Brian! Just awesome! I’m thinking of grabbing one myself! Had one and traded now I miss it!
Greg. You know how to right that wrong brother

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 12:35 AM   #218
dukerules
"TRF" Member

I tried *so* hard to get along with my 114060. Objectively, it was such a good piece, especially that incredible maxi dial. But 95% of the time I would choose to wear my 16600, because the ceramic Sub case shape just looks funny (and not in a good way) to me. I thought about sending it to LAWW to cut chamfers in the lugs to visually balance the case, but I ended up selling it after a couple of years (and have not regretted that decision for a second).

Instagram: dukerules
dukerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:09 AM   #219
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Simple. If you’re tired of hearing something, just don’t pay attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:20 AM   #220
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Can’t believe I read this whole thread. I have issues. Everyone who posted here has issues, too.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:24 AM   #221
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
My brother refers to his Sub as a 40 plus. In other words a boxy masculine 40. I think of my Explorer II as the opposite. It’s a relatively thin 42mm with a sloped bezel and elegant lugs.

chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:26 AM   #222
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
Can’t believe I read this whole thread. I have issues. Everyone who posted here has issues, too.

I don’t disagree! But it’s fun.

chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 11:20 AM   #223
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post

Thanks for the tip. I don’t need to back-read everything.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 03:02 PM   #224
slimgym
"TRF" Member

The fat lugs look fine on the oyster bracelet but on nato and leather they look awful
slimgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 07:12 AM   #225
jgan
2024 Pledge Member

I've owned several DJ's, Subs, and GMT's over the years as well as a new model AirKing. I loved the new AirKing but missed not having a date on my everyday watch. I even like the new DJ 36's and wear a 116201 regularly. I missed my 16713 and thought it was time to look at a new GMT. My jeweler acquired a 116710LN so I went in excited to try it on. I was disappointed by the fit, sharp edges, and how much bigger it wore than the 5 digit models. I love the new style bracelets which are an obvious upgrade to the older models but am not in love with the heads of the new sports models. The exception to that is the Yachtmaster 116622 which is beautiful, but the platinum bezel is just not for me. I'm still looking for something that can be an everyday wearer that's not a sub. Not sure if its an old 5 digit GMT SS or TT. There's nothing wrong with the new models there's just not one that I love.
jgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 09:15 AM   #226
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

This depends on what you want. For me I like the six digits and I've noticed if people don't complain on the slugs, there will be complain on something else.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 10:15 AM   #227
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgan View Post
I've owned several DJ's, Subs, and GMT's over the years as well as a new model AirKing. I loved the new AirKing but missed not having a date on my everyday watch. I even like the new DJ 36's and wear a 116201 regularly. I missed my 16713 and thought it was time to look at a new GMT. My jeweler acquired a 116710LN so I went in excited to try it on. I was disappointed by the fit, sharp edges, and how much bigger it wore than the 5 digit models. I love the new style bracelets which are an obvious upgrade to the older models but am not in love with the heads of the new sports models. The exception to that is the Yachtmaster 116622 which is beautiful, but the platinum bezel is just not for me. I'm still looking for something that can be an everyday wearer that's not a sub. Not sure if its an old 5 digit GMT SS or TT. There's nothing wrong with the new models there's just not one that I love.

Go back and grab a minty 16713. Mine is gone for my 16618 but it was a great piece.

Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 12:02 PM   #228
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnee View Post
This depends on what you want. For me I like the six digits and I've noticed if people don't complain on the slugs, there will be complain on something else.
Slugs.
I like that

But it's not just the slugs. The Crown guards come in for special mention as well
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 01:18 PM   #229
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
They should have applied a 22mm bracelet to 6 digit references rather than the 20mm bracelet.
yes!!
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 01:32 PM   #230
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
SD and DSSD lug proportions are fantastic, imo

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 01:23 AM   #231
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivgman22 View Post
Tired of hearing about slimmer lugs
Nope.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 03:57 PM   #232
flanker2000fr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-istanbul View Post
i dont understand either, lets invent a time machine and go back to the 50s

The Rolex just released the 114060 submariner. Believe it or not. All the divers will love this watch.

Super strong lugs, durable ceramics.

This is not a jewelry, Rolex Submariner is the ultimate automatic tool watch.

A tool watch needs to be strong, that lugs are strong.

However one thing I hate is the 4 line on the watch dial. Am I reading a poetry or what?

Just leave it Submariner and depth rating thats it.
Do you have any example of 5 or 4 digits Submariner lugs failing or breaking? In 20 years of being in this hobby, I've never seen any, so those thick lugs were completely unnecessary from a functional standpoint.

Also, people calling a 2020 Submariner a "tool watch" are severely deluded. They are luxury items, priced as such. People who actually need a proper tool watch buy a Garmin, a Seiko Diver or a Sinn.
flanker2000fr is offline   Reply With Quote