The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 August 2020, 03:45 AM   #1
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Wempe brand watch, ETA movement

I’m considering a watch sold under the Wempe brand name, powered by the ETA 2892-A2 movement, with a date display.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Wempe lines of watches? Build quality, materials, fit and finish, all the usual aspects to evaluate in a watch. I’m looking at the Iron Walker brand, their entry level line, similar to an OP or the like.

Also, how about the reliability, functionality of this particular movement? Is it widely used in other watches? Servicing?

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks,
Old 18 August 2020, 05:32 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

ETAs of that family of movement are everywhere, time tested, and easily serviced by any trained watchmaker. They come in several grades, which most people don't understand. The one used in the wempe will be the highest grade.

Should be a well made watch with a solid movement. Enjoy.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Dave455
"TRF" Member

I have one, the Zeitmeister Pilot. I’ll post a picture later.

Stunning watch, and almost an impulse buy, but no regrets.

Quality of design, build and execution are all absolutely first class. Chronometer certified too. If you put a top level name on it, you could probably double the price and people wouldn’t complain.

The 2892 is probably the best of the ETA movements, and provided it’s well set up (which they are in Wempe watches) they are capable of stunning accuracy. With few changes the same movements have been used in Breitlings, IWC’s and many more.

Kunlun is correct, in that they come in several grades. I too suspect that Wempe are using top end. My Zeitmeister consistently runs + 1 sec / day, which is pretty awesome.

Can’t comment on the “Iron Walker” range, never seen them!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 06:54 AM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Have had an IWC modified ETA 2892 for almost 20 years in my Mark XV. Works like on the first day with one service after 12 years.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Here’s a pic as promised.

Some things that may not be obvious. Many makers of “mid range” watches tend to go for slightly slab sided cases. Nothing wrong with this, but it is cheaper to machine. Not so Wempe, the case has gently curved sides, and it looks superb.

The finish on the case is a satin. More practical than polished, which can show every mark, and I think more durable than a brushed finish too. Very practical for a watch of this type.

Overall, one gets the impression that Wempe are trying to build the very best watch that they can. I’m very happy, and this is one of my favourites.

I should probably also mention the dealer. (Wempe in Berlin). Absolutely first class service. Nothing too much trouble. Was offered a selection of straps (many not in the catalogue or on the website) at no extra charge. Provided and fitted a Wempe deployant clasp at reasonable cost (lovely made clasp by the way) and even gave me some discount!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20AE39EC-5695-4CD0-99D1-032DDA51B419.jpeg (68.5 KB, 70 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Thanks for the replies, and for the picture, that Zeitmeister pilot is a great looking watch, understated functionality.

Since my original post I have done a bit more research, various websites, youtube channels, and assorted reviews. Evidently Wempe sources most of their components from Germany and Switzerland and assembles the watches at their factory in Glashutte. Most of the reviewers are impressed by the quality of materials, quality control, and the overall fit and finishing process.
As others here have said, I read that this particular movement is rock solid and reliable. All in all, I'm impressed with the watch and the brand, on top handling the piece in the Wempe NYC store.
A great design, solid quality, a reliable brand...me thinks another trip to the NYC store is in order.