The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2020, 09:49 AM   #1
zoso
"TRF" Member

Looking for repair advice.

Hey, guys. Im back once again for repair advice. I was on a few years ago seeking help when my watch had water leak into it and you guys were a great help. Sadly I don't make a good enough living to be a collector and spend much time on this forum, but I was lucky enough to have my dad give his Rolex to me before he passed. It means the world to me, so when it has an issue I get worried about it.

My issue now, is the clasp that holds the bracelet closed. It pops open super easy. If I clap my hands lightly it pops open. If I bump my hand it pops open. Its almost fallen off my wrist on a few occasions and thank god it didn't. Its the part that I'm pointing too with my thumb (see pic).

Can you guys tell me, is this a repair or will I have to replace the whole clasp section?

Can you also give me a rough estimate to fix or replace it so I can start saving and suggest where to have it done? Im in Massachusetts and Last time you guys told me Rolex would be very expensive and I sent it to a guy in Florida, Rick Deitel I believe? Id like to see my other options. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot. Owen
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6404.jpeg (91.5 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6405.jpeg (72.7 KB, 385 views)
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 09:59 AM   #2
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Beautiful watch Owen, I haven’t googled the problem before posting this but I would venture to say there’s probably a quick way to fix that yourself. I had a Datejust that had a different style clasp that became prone to popping open and I made a slight bend to it and it tightened right up. I’m sure someone will come along with some help. I just wanted to say what a nice watch you have. I hope one of my kids will treasure my watches one day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 10:20 AM   #3
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Not 100% sure without seeing it, but there is a relatively inexpensive tool you can buy that will slightly stretch the space in the locking mechanism and make it tighter. Someone with more experience can probably give better info on that, but I do know that’s how the loose DD clasps are fixed
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:19 AM   #4
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Beautiful watch Owen, I haven’t googled the problem before posting this but I would venture to say there’s probably a quick way to fix that yourself. I had a Datejust that had a different style clasp that became prone to popping open and I made a slight bend to it and it tightened right up. I’m sure someone will come along with some help. I just wanted to say what a nice watch you have. I hope one of my kids will treasure my watches one day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I do love it. Especially having been my dads. Thanks for the reply.
Old 8 December 2020, 11:21 AM   #5
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheronsgrief View Post
Not 100% sure without seeing it, but there is a relatively inexpensive tool you can buy that will slightly stretch the space in the locking mechanism and make it tighter. Someone with more experience can probably give better info on that, but I do know that’s how the loose DD clasps are fixed
Ok great. Thanks. An inexpensive fix would be ideal. Hopefully someone can chime in. Thanks.
Old 8 December 2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

This may be a starting point....
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=332184
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/l...racelet.51835/
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 12:52 PM   #7
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferyasher View Post
Thanks Jeffery. Seems like a mixed bag of thoughts. Use a tool, don't need a tool, and that second link about bending something? Scary for me to do, not really knowing much about watches lol. I wouldn't know where to bend exactly. Not one video on YouTube either which is surprising.
Old 9 December 2020, 06:58 AM   #8
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Easy fix probably which any good watchmaker can do in a minute most likely.
The tric is to make slit the curved part a little bit wider. The one on the side opposite of the small rolex opener.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 07:17 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
With this clasp, the fix is to widen the blade center slit that has the "nub" on it slightly.

This makes a tighter fit when it locks into the matching hole in the other blade.

The tool for this is simply a pair of bars that slide onto either side of the clasp, and you physically bend each side, pulling apart the nub slightly. You can do the same thing with a pair of Crescent wrenches on each side.

An alternative is a wide blade screwdriver tapped slightly into the nub to spread each side apart. It doesn't take much.
Old 9 December 2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
With this clasp, the fix is to widen the blade center slit that has the "nub" on it slightly.

This makes a tighter fit when it locks into the matching hole in the other blade.

The tool for this is simply a pair of bars that slide onto either side of the clasp, and you physically bend each side, pulling apart the nub slightly. You can do the same thing with a pair of Crescent wrenches on each side.

An alternative is a wide blade screwdriver tapped slightly into the nub to spread each side apart. It doesn't take much.
Listen to this man
Wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 07:25 AM   #11
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
beautiful watch and great story with it. hope you get it sorted with Tools' repair idea
Old 9 December 2020, 07:29 AM   #12
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD36
I used a screwdriver to widen the "nub" like suggested above and it worked great. Nothing to worry about handling that yourself. Mine was opening like that as well. Problem solved in about 15 seconds.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 08:34 AM   #13
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I used two pairs of pliers with the jaws padded out to bend both clasp shears and widen the nub slot a bit. Worked wonders but some trial and error was involved if I remember rightly. Oddly the knife or flathead screwdriver thing didn't do much for me. Lovely piece btw.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 10:16 AM   #14
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Thanks for the response. I’m trying to visualize widening the slit down the center. Maybe I’m not picturing the right thing but that seems tough lol! Is there a video somewhere? I’m trying to picture it with the crescent wrench’s too.

As far as the screw driver technique, you just stick a screwdriver straight down in the slit that splits that nub in half and tap it? I can visualize that. Do you need to warm up the area with warm water to make it easier or anything? Thanks for the help.
Old 10 December 2020, 06:27 AM   #15
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso View Post
Thanks for the response. I’m trying to visualize widening the slit down the center. Maybe I’m not picturing the right thing but that seems tough lol! Is there a video somewhere? I’m trying to picture it with the crescent wrench’s too.

As far as the screw driver technique, you just stick a screwdriver straight down in the slit that splits that nub in half and tap it? I can visualize that. Do you need to warm up the area with warm water to make it easier or anything? Thanks for the help.
This is going to sound brutal. You know that piece of the clasp with the slot and nub in the middle? You grip hold of both sides of it with pliers and bend the thing upwards with them widening the gap in the nub. Take it slow..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 09:03 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso View Post
. . .

Yep. easy as pie, and it doesn't take much of a tap either.

Water isn't necessary, but you could smear a bit of lube on the screwdriver blade.

Here is a picture of the tools for the job if you choose the expensive way.
https://www.esslinger.com/watch-clas...ols-for-rolex/
Old 10 December 2020, 04:17 PM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
This is the tool. I used two flat pliers with taped jaws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT-CLASPTOOL-ALT.jpg (58.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 10 December 2020, 04:31 PM   #18
ce027772
"TRF" Member

I would just take it to an AD and most likely they will tighten it for free for you. Seems like an easy fix, but I wouldn't risk damaging it myself. Plus you don't have to buy any tools.
ce027772 is offline   Reply With Quote