The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2021, 04:09 AM   #1
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Sotc

My interest in watches began in college around ~2008 with the popular fashion brand (amongst peers in my age group and geographical location) Nixon. My first experience with Swiss Made was a Tissot PRC200. Then came a number of cheap Seiko automatics (many of which I regret selling, including the Black Monster and Spork), Hamilton, Christopher Ward, etc. Never did I think I’d find myself in a Rolex, even at market prices of 2008.

Fast forward to 2016 when I got my first promotion and scored a 116710BLNR from an AD in Portland, OR. I happened to be visiting and figured I would call around to check inventory. To my surprise, Ben Bridge had a BLNR in stock. An hour after the phone call I had wired the money over and picked it up that weekend on my trip. The BLNR will always remain in my collection - in fact, I’m planning to engrave the case back soon. It’ll be a nice heirloom to my currently non-existent children, LOL.

Anyway, here is the rest of my modest collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2021, 04:26 AM   #2
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

That’s a very nice lineup ��

Personally, I’d be inclined to declutter a bit, keep just the three Rolexes and buy a Saxonia thin or a VC traditionelle small seconds with the proceeds of the rest.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:27 AM   #3
VK1984
"TRF" Member

Excellent collection and some of my faves in there. Nicely put together.

Interested that with the 16710 and the BLNR in there - how much time does the Tudor GMT get on the wrist?
VK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I love your collection, and how you've separated them by brand etc. At first two rolex GMT seems redundant, but honestly if you're a GMT guy that's what you should own. Like I'm finding myself to be more dive watch person and came to term that if all my watches are dive watch, that'd be okay too. And moon watch is always nice to have in a collection. I've been thinking about it, but the 42mm is worrying for me. The Ed White is 39.5, but not sure it's worth the wait/$$$ either
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:47 AM   #5
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
great collection. I love your Tudor trio!
Old 17 December 2021, 04:55 AM   #6
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Not to be a bad influence... but... are you planning to add a third omega to complete your trio of trios collection?
Old 17 December 2021, 05:07 AM   #7
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
That’s a very nice lineup ��

Personally, I’d be inclined to declutter a bit, keep just the three Rolexes and buy a Saxonia thin or a VC traditionelle small seconds with the proceeds of the rest.
Thank you! I have considered consolidating, just don’t know what for. Those are nice pieces, but they don’t “speak” to me. If anything, I’d like to add a PM to my collection. But none of the watches in my collection would get me very close to any PM that I’d want. Maaaybe a 36mm YG DD. Hmmm…

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK1984 View Post
Excellent collection and some of my faves in there. Nicely put together.

Interested that with the 16710 and the BLNR in there - how much time does the Tudor GMT get on the wrist?
I get asked that quite often! Truthfully, I favor the Tudor GMT in winter months as the red and blue are more toned down. The 16710 comes out to play in warmer months. Just happens to align with my wardrobe better that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
I love your collection, and how you've separated them by brand etc. At first two rolex GMT seems redundant, but honestly if you're a GMT guy that's what you should own. Like I'm finding myself to be more dive watch person and came to term that if all my watches are dive watch, that'd be okay too. And moon watch is always nice to have in a collection. I've been thinking about it, but the 42mm is worrying for me. The Ed White is 39.5, but not sure it's worth the wait/$$$ either
Having three GMTs is arguably very redundant, I agree. But the Rolex and Tudor Pepsis are different enough (explained above) and the BLNR is my first Rolex, one that I plan on keeping in my (non-existent) family lol. I’ve been wanting to replace my Speedy Pro with the 321 or even the most recent iteration/reference. We’ll see…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
Not to be a bad influence... but... are you planning to add a third omega to complete your trio of trios collection?
I’d like to! But I don’t want to add another watch for the sake of completing a trio. I need to love the watch to justify it. I do like the Seamaster 300 Trilogy…
Old 17 December 2021, 05:58 AM   #8
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Very nice collection!
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:07 AM   #9
jed11
"TRF" Member

Solid collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:14 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice collection, especially the BLRO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:17 AM   #11
Chad M
"TRF" Member

What are you thinking of engraving?
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:29 AM   #12
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M View Post
What are you thinking of engraving?
I’m trying not to overthink it, but alas…

Simple: keep going
More: when motivation fails, discipline prevails
Another: failure is not fatal, success is not final

I’ve also considered important dates (or just years) that can be added to. I would start off with my birthdate, my (eventual) wedding date, future children’s birthdates, and whoever I pass it on to can add their own important dates. With the idea that the list becoming very long over time, only family members will (or should, lol) know what each date represents. Without context, the dates mean nothing. But to family, they’ll mean everything (I’d hope, lol).
Old 17 December 2021, 06:37 AM   #13
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Very cool collection; great looking watches! Lots of color, variety, and versatility. Enjoy them all.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:20 AM   #14
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Hey Calvin, solid collection! Keep it up brotha. I like seeing how your collection is evolving.
Old 17 December 2021, 09:27 AM   #15
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Do not declare you have a modest collection , the size and cost of someone’s collection in my mind does not determine its value to the owner . A nice collection of watches you admire and enjoy is a solid collection..
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:34 AM   #16
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a very solid collection. Love that each brand represents a very cool cluster. Tudor trio could be a final 3-watch collection for anyone. Rolex trio is heavy-hitting SS. And the Omega duo covers pretty much most people's bases. Wear in good health
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 10:07 AM   #17
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Hey Calvin, solid collection! Keep it up brotha. I like seeing how your collection is evolving.
Thanks, Henry! Hope the fam is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
Do not declare you have a modest collection , the size and cost of someone’s collection in my mind does not determine its value to the owner . A nice collection of watches you admire and enjoy is a solid collection..
Fair enough. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Congrats on a very solid collection. Love that each brand represents a very cool cluster. Tudor trio could be a final 3-watch collection for anyone. Rolex trio is heavy-hitting SS. And the Omega duo covers pretty much most people's bases. Wear in good health
I’m very grateful to have the collection that I have. I’m happy to say they all get wrist time, too. None are display only queens.
Old 17 December 2021, 12:38 PM   #18
JC316
"TRF" Member

Very! Very! Nice collection! I think 7 is my max though. 1 for every day of the week! We shall see if that still holds true once I get to 7!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:59 PM   #19
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Very! Very! Nice collection! I think 7 is my max though. 1 for every day of the week! We shall see if that still holds true once I get to 7!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
There's something about the human mind that wants to complete things. As someone mentioned, I have two trios and one pair. I want to make a trio of trios...ha!