The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 April 2022, 06:47 AM   #781
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
winning bid is £35,300. plus 6% and VAT only add up to £38,000?
That's for a pre-owned. As far as I'm aware, most greys are shooting for 60k brand new/true unworn, complete set, both tags, with some stickers

Bob's just added one BTW used prowned. WITHOUT hand tag for 59k.

https://www.bobswatches.com/ro...i2B...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 07:05 AM   #782
christian-h
"TRF" Member

The Greater Fool Theory is the idea that, during a market bubble, one can make money by buying overvalued assets and selling them for a profit later, because it will always be possible to find someone who is willing to pay a higher price.

My guess is that prices (in general) will start to fall.
christian-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 07:07 AM   #783
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian-h View Post
The Greater Fool Theory is the idea that, during a market bubble, one can make money by buying overvalued assets and selling them for a profit later, because it will always be possible to find someone who is willing to pay a higher price.

My guess is that prices will start to drop in a short time.
Bubble. Yeah we've been in one for like about 5 years, correct? Very good

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2022, 07:14 AM   #784
christian-h
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Bubble. Yeah we've been in one for like about 5 years, correct? Very good

Talk again in five years time!
christian-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 07:14 AM   #785
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian-h View Post
Talk again in five years time!
Let's do it! Happy Sunday

Old 4 April 2022, 08:59 AM   #786
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
The funny thing is, this watch isn’t even a Tiffany stamped dial. With that stamp…..yes 60k could be worth. This being just a Stella series. Doesn’t make it worth the high price tag. You can argue all you want. Until that stamp is on the dial, it ain’t a Tiffany. Never will be.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 09:27 AM   #787
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
The funny thing is, this watch isn’t even a Tiffany stamped dial. With that stamp…..yes 60k could be worth. This being just a Stella series. Doesn’t make it worth the high price tag. You can argue all you want. Until that stamp is on the dial, it ain’t a Tiffany. Never will be.
Scholar!

It's not a Stella, nor is it Tiffany stamped.

You are aware that those stamps and that relationship ended decades ago with Rolex, right?

Old 4 April 2022, 09:58 AM   #788
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
I don't know what the point is for the hourly price updates. We are all aware of the market and irrational hype behind it. All it does is make it more difficult for those of us who want to wear and enjoy it.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 10:29 AM   #789
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If it hasn't happened already, I imagine we are going to see fakes (possibly genuine watches with fake dials) that are increasingly difficult to spot as well as very convincing forged tags and paperwork.

Authenticating these is probably only going to become increasingly difficult in the future as the price continues to skyrocket, although the true extent of it probably won't be known for another 5-10 years. All around, it sucks.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 10:36 AM   #790
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
If it hasn't happened already, I imagine we are going to see fakes (possibly genuine watches with fake dials) that are increasingly difficult to spot as well as very convincing forged tags and paperwork.

Authenticating these is probably only going to become increasingly difficult in the future as the price continues to skyrocket, although the true extent of it probably won't be known for another 5-10 years. All around, it sucks.
Of course it's happening! We had a member a couple of months ago who shared his photos and it was suspected to be a fake A IT TURNED OUT TO BE FAKE, and it was purchased by a fairly reputable dealer.

There you go, there is a risk when going grey...ALWAYS! Hence why @Danny83 advised against going grey without the white serial hand tag, in hopes to minimize this from happening since the white tag and digits following normal reference.

Old 4 April 2022, 10:40 AM   #791
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Quote:
Why would they go down? The flat green resembles the 50 year anniversary GMT yellow gold reference that has since been discontinued, and the newly released Day Date 40 green dial! Rolex green dials tend to do well.

But don't buy it just because you think it's going to go up in value. I personally don't like that watch so I was never drawn to it. You should always like to watch first I think, though I'm not trying to tell you how to collect.
I bought my green OP41 middle last year. It was kind of a split second buy. I have always liked the color green, so I went with it. Now, the green OP41 is one of my watches I wear more than any other. I was drawn to it by its color, and the total minimalistic styling. I have never sold a watch and don't plan to start now.
Lightsped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 10:41 AM   #792
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
I bought my green OP41 middle last year. It was kind of a split second buy. I have always liked the color green, so I went with it. Now, the green OP41 is one of my watches I wear more than any other. I was drawn to it by its color, and the total minimalistic styling. I have never sold a watch and don't plan to start now.
The green has always been the least desirable and least expensive in the community and Grey Market for the op41 out of the COLORFUL colors. Cool color though, still.

Old 4 April 2022, 11:50 AM   #793
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Just like the people who paid $20k for it last year
You know what kind of watch you could get for that price? Why get a 6k OP?
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 12:32 PM   #794
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
You know what kind of watch you could get for that price? Why get a 6k OP?
Please, please give me some options, I want to hear it. You know what and how many watches you could get for a 5990 factory full diamond set? Or, Richard Mille RM? I don't understand your question.

Old 4 April 2022, 12:40 PM   #795
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course it's happening! We had a member a couple of months ago who shared his photos and it was suspected to be a fake A IT TURNED OUT TO BE FAKE, and it was purchased by a fairly reputable dealer.

There you go, there is a risk when going grey...ALWAYS!

That is very worrisome.

There is definitely always some risk with secondary purchases, but I think the level of risk here is potentially drastically greater because someone (with ill intent) could use an OEM Rolex watch, save for the dial? If that is what is being done, one can't just look at the movement to verify anymore.

I guess a major outstanding question is if, and how well, has that hang tag been forged? If it has already been forged really well, that's potentially a really bad situation. That combined with a genuine watch + fake dial would presumably make it hard for just about everyone except an RSC (that can link the SN to the original configuration) to identify. (Hopefully this forum will sound the alarm should this happen.)

These are probably soon going to be hundred thousand dollar watches, and yet secondary dealers, auction houses, and even ADs that deal in used may not be able to easily authenticate them without the assistance of an RSC.

IMHO, this is a potential situation where going with a trusted seller might not be enough and that is very concerning.
Old 4 April 2022, 12:43 PM   #796
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is very worrisome.

There is definitely always some risk with secondary purchases, but I think the level of risk here is potentially drastically greater because someone (with ill intent) could use an OEM Rolex watch, save for the dial? If that is what is being done, one can't just look at the movement to verify anymore.

I guess a major outstanding question is if, and how well, has that hang tag been forged? If it has already been forged really well, that's potentially a really bad situation. That combined with a genuine watch + fake dial would presumably make it hard for just about everyone except an RSC (that can link the SN to the original configuration) to identify. (Hopefully this forum will sound the alarm should this happen.)

These are probably soon going to be hundred thousand dollar watches, and yet secondary dealers, auction houses, and even ADs that deal in used may not be able to easily authenticate them without the assistance of an RSC.

IMHO, this is a potential situation where going with a trusted seller might not be enough and that is very concerning.
100% I agree. I don't think they are going to be worth much much more than they are now though, at least nowhere in the near future. I do not believe that any of them are going to get into the six figure range anytime soon.

Old 4 April 2022, 12:49 PM   #797
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please, please give me some options, I want to hear it. You know what and how many watches you could get for a 5990 factory full diamond set? Or, Richard Mille RM? I don't understand your question.

It’s a simple question. Why pay near 40k for an entry level Rolex. I would take a gold Rolex or AP over an OP, easy.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 12:55 PM   #798
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
It’s a simple question. Why pay near 40k for an entry level Rolex. I would take a gold Rolex or AP over an OP, easy.
My brother, why the hell pay 6k 10k or 20k or $30,000 on this shiny jewelry with our hard-earned money on the first place?!

Who told you that precious metal or the type of metal used in a watch makes the watch more valuable or "worth it"? Historically, all high-priced collectibles vintage pieces that have been sought after have been in stainless steel rather than their precious metal counterparts.

Why should someone pay $150,000 for a stainless steel Nautilus with a 48 hour power reserve three hands and a simple date, fairly close to entry level or an aquanaut with some rubber, when a absolutely beautiful and magnificent Patek grand complication, a 5270 can be had.

No brother. I'm not with you.

Old 4 April 2022, 12:58 PM   #799
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100% I agree. I don't think they are going to be worth much much more than they are now though, at least nowhere in the near future. I do not believe that any of them are going to get into the six figure range anytime soon.

Do you see an eventual price ceiling to these? Is this going to become a 'must have grail piece' in a lot of Rolex collections?

I've been blown away by the amount of energy this reference has generated and I was equally shocked by it being discontinued. I'm sad to see such a handsome watch have such a short run.
Old 4 April 2022, 01:06 PM   #800
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you see an eventual price ceiling to these? Is this going to become a 'must have grail piece' in a lot of Rolex collections?

I've been blown away by the amount of energy this reference has generated and I was equally shocked by it being discontinued. I'm sad to see such a handsome watch have such a short run.
Since the launch in 2020 I have suspected that it would be discontinued based on what the Rolex day dates did in the 70s with the Stella dials having a production run of only about 2 years.

I remember when I asked my sales associate and told her to please hurry up with my op41 Turquoise because I was worried that they may discontinue it, filling what they did 50 years earlier -- she looked at me as if I were crazy.

I believe the ceiling for the turquoise 41 is about $75,000 to be quite honest with you. I do not see it going anywhere higher than that in the next several years. No way. I can also see the watch settling down at 50k and remaining there for a long time.

@MichelleP has an absolutely beautiful, well rounded modern collection, she has both the coral red and turquoise. Maybe she could chime in.

The way I would look at it is the following : let's say you were going to draft up an article or make a social media short of the hottest and hyped Rolex stainless steel models, an OP 41 you would HAVE TO BE one of the six pieces. Fair enough?

Also keep in mind that there are TRF members here that, although they may not be that active, some of them maybe on the more private side, reserved, and humble, they are worth dozens if not hundreds of millions of dollars, and they have collections that are valued at many millions of dollars. They pretty much sniff at these threads as they should. Lol. So it's all relative. For collectors like those, 40k 60k is not something they feel and if they want something, like to collect the entire op collection in addition to their PP and AP collection, they'll pay premium for it. But there are only so many of those people.

Old 5 April 2022, 12:27 AM   #801
Simon2439
Banned

What ever the case this is without question a truly iconic piece and I’m sure will keep increasing in value in my opinion. I am sure when the 31 and the 36 also get discontinued anyone with a collection of all three will have something quite valuable. I was told that they will also go in the near future too?? Do they discontinue models mid year?
I passed on this and wish I hadn’t that’s for sure. Well done anyone who has them or all three!
Simon2439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:41 AM   #802
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
I don't know what the point is for the hourly price updates. We are all aware of the market and irrational hype behind it. All it does is make it more difficult for those of us who want to wear and enjoy it.
Cheerleaders cheer!!!!! It’s what they do
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:41 AM   #803
PO 2500D
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43TT & DJII blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
winning bid is £35,300. plus 6% and VAT only add up to £38,000?
In the UK you pay VAT on the 6% fee not on the hammer price I as understand it.

You've bought the watch from an individual (and pay them directly) and then pay the website for the service.
PO 2500D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:54 AM   #804
Simon2439
Banned

Daytona meteorite and green dial at crazy prices for a dial, therefore this could easily hit above 100k in my opinion. Nuts but that’s they crazy world we live in.
Simon2439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:59 AM   #805
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Since the launch in 2020 I have suspected that it would be discontinued based on what the Rolex day dates did in the 70s with the Stella dials having a production run of only about 2 years.

I remember when I asked my sales associate and told her to please hurry up with my op41 Turquoise because I was worried that they may discontinue it, filling what they did 50 years earlier -- she looked at me as if I were crazy.

I believe the ceiling for the turquoise 41 is about $75,000 to be quite honest with you. I do not see it going anywhere higher than that in the next several years. No way. I can also see the watch settling down at 50k and remaining there for a long time.

@MichelleP has an absolutely beautiful, well rounded modern collection, she has both the coral red and turquoise. Maybe she could chime in.

The way I would look at it is the following : let's say you were going to draft up an article or make a social media short of the hottest and hyped Rolex stainless steel models, an OP 41 you would HAVE TO BE one of the six pieces. Fair enough?

Also keep in mind that there are TRF members here that, although they may not be that active, some of them maybe on the more private side, reserved, and humble, they are worth dozens if not hundreds of millions of dollars, and they have collections that are valued at many millions of dollars. They pretty much sniff at these threads as they should. Lol. So it's all relative. For collectors like those, 40k 60k is not something they feel and if they want something, like to collect the entire op collection in addition to their PP and AP collection, they'll pay premium for it. But there are only so many of those people.

Jesus wept, he's still banging on about the price of this watch!
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 01:07 AM   #806
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Jesus wept, he's still banging on about the price of this watch!
Jesus, you are still on it, checking AND commenting on this thread. I'm sorry for you. Have a better day. Enjoy your collection and life.

Old 5 April 2022, 01:13 AM   #807
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Jesus, you are still on it, checking AND commenting on this thread. I'm sorry for you. Have a better day. Enjoy your collection and life.

I'm having a great day thanks, and every day I seem to enjoy my collection a little more, thanks!

I’m keen to understand, why are you seeking constant validation / attention for this watch? Aren’t you getting bored by it now?

This is a public forum, not everyone who responds will do so in a positive way. Especially when you are peddling out the same shite day in day out.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 01:27 AM   #808
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
I'm having a great day thanks, and every day I seem to enjoy my collection a little more, thanks!

I’m keen to understand, why are you seeking constant validation / attention for this watch? Aren’t you getting bored by it now?

This is a public forum, not everyone who responds will do so in a positive way. Especially when you are peddling out the same shite day in day out.
Watch your mouth, please. I'm pleased to hear that you are enjoying all your watches, including your panerai.

I am not bored of any of my watches and I continue to enjoy and appreciate my collection and this hobby.

I know it is a public forum, that's why you can constantly check my thread on your own volition, voluntarily, and then chime in about how much you dislike it.

There are other theads, it's a public forum, you can easily check or not check, you can be quite selective of what you like to see it or what you like to post. No obligation either way. But it's probably best not to swear at forum members, and to obviously and sensibly stay away from threads in which you are not interested.

God bless you and take care of yourself

Old 5 April 2022, 01:30 AM   #809
joegusmano
"TRF" Member

For anyone still doubting the potential of these discontinued OP41s, DSW had a yellow and red listed yesterday for $29,850. They’re gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joegusmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 01:32 AM   #810
Madman37
"TRF" Member

ha ha some funny stuff on here. I think people are angry or arguing because they missed the boat on making fast cash. I know i am always go ohhhhhh i wish i got one so i could sell it to get a second hand sports car or something. It’s like missing out on bitcoin. I don’t like the watch but absolutely gutted i didn’t get one to make bucks and don’t mind admitting that.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote