The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2023, 09:26 AM   #1
crudeoilmoto
"TRF" Member

Stumbling through the first Rolex purchase

Hi all,

new to the forum, been reading and reviewing advice and discussion over the previous few weeks and it is extremely helpful to say the least. Hopefully I can contribute as such going forward.

I have been slowly collecting watches in my adult life, started with Tag Heuer, then Omega and then Panerai but have not been able to get myself to purchase a Rolex. After landing my dream job and nearing 40 I think it is time.

Not knowing exactly how desirable the new Pepsi is I went to an AD to ask for it, dressed nicely and was very respectful. They were very accommodating and polite in return. After the visit doing a bit more digging and now knowing what probably most on here already know, I was very surprised how well I was treated despite what I asked for - I will likely not get it through an AD but I'll try to for some time to see if I get anywhere before going grey. I know the chances are slim, but I thought to at least give it an honesty try.

I really love my watches hope to add Rolex to that collection.

Anyway-thanks for having me looking forward to the journey.
crudeoilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 10:30 AM   #2
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

Good on you! Hope you get the call
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 10:36 AM   #3
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Good luck! Keep popping by the AD from time to time and have a chat, you may get lucky one day and get the call for the one you want. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emiliomcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 10:37 AM   #4
phillyvice
"TRF" Member

Hate to say this, but if you really want it, you gotta go grey market. Yes you’ll pay over retail, but you need to factor the amount you’ll have to spend and the time you’ll wait in order to get the watch that you’re on the list for. You’ll probably end up spending way less buying the Pepsi way over retail (and now is probably a good time to buy because grey prices are relatively low).

phillyvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 11:11 AM   #5
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Good luck in your search! I think dressing presentably and gaining rapport with the SA does help, though a GMT with no prior history is a tough ask.

Try not to debase yourself too much to get in good with the AD, but if you do make sure to post what you did 😏.

Buying grey is certainly an option but note that there is a risk that if you buy a watch with time left on the warranty, Rolex may not honor that warranty. Greys often polish beat up watches so they can sell them LNIB and they open up the watch to verify authenticity. Both of those activities may void the warranty. And given the problems with the 32xx movements you really want a full 5 year warranty.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 11:59 AM   #6
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Good luck but I think it's one of those "and slim just left town" deals because everyone wants a GMT at retail. My guess is you need to spend $30,000+ on other brands / jewelry for them to even look at you seriously. Remember that the SA needs manager approval to sell you a BLRO and the first thing that manager will look to for your spend history.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 12:31 PM   #7
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post
Good luck in your search! I think dressing presentably and gaining rapport with the SA does help, though a GMT with no prior history is a tough ask.
Nah...I dress like a hobo. A clean hobo, but a hobo nonetheless. I've been allocated a SS Daytona, a TT Sea Dweller, and a white dial Tudor Chronograph. Few pieces of jewelry for the wife too, totaling maybe $5k. I think it helps to be a true enthusiast of the brand and watches in general. I also think being easy going and fun to talk to help as well. I've built a career out of that.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 12:41 PM   #8
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Don't listen to the naysayers. It's all circumstantial. Stay in regular contact with this AD that treated you well. Be prepared, as you may be offered other Rolex references on your way to the BLRO (Get your wallet READY)
Cheers !
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 12:44 PM   #9
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Welcome! A little genuine interest and kindness can go a long way - your AD may surprise you.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 01:03 PM   #10
crudeoilmoto
"TRF" Member

Thank you all, appreciate the warm welcome. Of course, I do not have high expectations, however I know the answer will be 100% no if I don't bother to ask. Not sure how long ill be able to wait, but we'll see.
crudeoilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 01:39 PM   #11
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
When my wife bought my 14060M Sub several years ago - before they became unobtainable - I used to be self-conscious going into the Rolex store. Kind of like the first time asking a girl to a dance when I was a kid. Pick up your first one and break through that imaginary wall. Good luck.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 04:31 PM   #12
Klopez
Banned

Welcome and hoping to see you announce your first Rolex acquisition
Klopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 05:49 PM   #13
Steve Epps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudeoilmoto View Post
Hi all,

new to the forum, been reading and reviewing advice and discussion over the previous few weeks and it is extremely helpful to say the least. Hopefully I can contribute as such going forward.

I have been slowly collecting watches in my adult life, started with Tag Heuer, then Omega and then Panerai but have not been able to get myself to purchase a Rolex. After landing my dream job and nearing 40 I think it is time.

Not knowing exactly how desirable the new Pepsi is I went to an AD to ask for it, dressed nicely and was very respectful. They were very accommodating and polite in return. After the visit doing a bit more digging and now knowing what probably most on here already know, I was very surprised how well I was treated despite what I asked for - I will likely not get it through an AD but I'll try to for some time to see if I get anywhere before going grey. I know the chances are slim, but I thought to at least give it an honesty try.

I really love my watches hope to add Rolex to that collection.

Anyway-thanks for having me looking forward to the journey.
I find in the past few years, no matter how polite the employees at the
jewelry store were , I am going to say I will be surprised if you get the call.
This particular GMT is the bread and butter of their business and I doubt
they will sell it to you for the suggested retail price, perhaps if you were
a mega jewelry buyer from their store ? ..maybe, …but you are not so your
chances are next to zero.
Steve Epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 02:53 AM   #14
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Unless you are extremely lucky, and I mean lottery winning lucky, this is not how things work at ADs.

Inagine you're an AD and your mission is to be as profitable as possible bearing in mind the overwhelming demand for certain Rolex pieces. What would you do? Exactly.

Unworn from a private seller: 18k.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 03:37 AM   #15
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I started getting watches very easily by asking a friend who has a relationship and gets whatever he wants to introduce me. I didn’t wait for a sub, just had to fly in to grab a Pepsi, so no real wait. I gave them about a one month heads up. Daytona, still waiting. Probably will be at the 2 year mark end of this year before i see anything. If you have no purchase history or connection, it’s going to be tough. Even if the history is low, just being a customer for many years can help.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 05:09 AM   #16
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliomcol View Post
Good luck! Keep popping by the AD from time to time and have a chat, you may get lucky one day and get the call for the one you want. Happy hunting!

Yes, this
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 05:26 AM   #17
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Good luck, hope you can find what you want. And no one, absolutely no one can speak authoritatively about what is a sure fire way to look, act, dress, speak or smell when you walk in to an AD.
Old 25 April 2023, 05:26 AM   #18
creepy neville
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660 Deepsea
You are on the West Coast -

Vancouver? Washington ?
creepy neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 05:40 AM   #19
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum and best of luck!
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote