The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 July 2009, 06:27 AM   #1
dkazaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600 / DJ 1601
Icon5 Advice on service for '68 Datejust (lots of pics)

Hi all

I have an old Datejust model# 1601 purchased by my father from Switzerland in Dec/Jan 1968/69. The numbers on the side of the case behind the bracelet are 1861716.

According to my father, the Bezel is white gold, but to me it looks yellow. Can anyone confirm this for me?

As you can see from the pictures it has seen better days so I would like to fix it up a bit. I’d probably prefer to keep it as close to the original as possible but given the wear on it, it might be tricky.

I’d like to ask your advice on what to do/avoid.

I have a nasty feeling the thing has been inexpertly serviced, because of the crooked position of the Cyclops lens and the scratches on the face inside. I remember my dad complaining about the high cost of authorized service. Maybe he gave it to some fool to service who managed to scratch the face…
  • I think the crystal (acrylic) will definitely need to be changed because of these nasty scratches. I understand Rolex do this as standard. Do you think I should replace it with the same material, or should I see if I can replace it with sapphire crystal? I assume changing the material decreases the value? On the other hand sapphire crystals are nice and tough. Don’t know if one would fit it anyway.

• As for the face – should I (and can I?) get it replaced with the same one? I’m not a fan of the silver personally (I prefer white datejust faces) but it is the authentic one. Alternatively, can I get it cleaned and polished a bit? I realize refurbishing reduces value but I hate the way it looks so beat up on the inside.

• I think there might be a problem with the crown’s date-setting mechanism. When I pull it out and turn it counter-clockwise, it just rolls, but the date doesn’t change. I assume this is damage, unless if these old models did not have this capability? I’d be very surprised if in 1968 they had to take the minute hand through a month to get the date right...

• If Rolex ask me to replace the crown and hands, should I accept?

• The bracelet looks a bit stretched but to me it’s not too bad and I’m not inclined to spend a fortune on a new one if not absolutely necessary – do you agree?

I live in Athens, so I think my best option is the RSC. Has any member had any experience with them? I know some other members live here.

My experienceswith local Rolex representatives has been funny – last week, in the market for an SD, the lady at the Rolex shop quoted me a price 40% higher than the AD’s and when I pointed it out, she tried to convince me that buying from an AD, meant my warranty would be in the AD’s name (surprising) but most amusingly that this was like buying a car in someone else’s name. I tried to point out to her that warranties and ownership are different but she didn’t seem to get it

Thanks a lot for your time and any advice you can offer!
dkazaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Seems to be a nice looking watch in good condition....

> You can easily polish out the scratches in the crystal, or it can e changed. I don't think that the cyclops really gets any more "centered" than what you show. The only way you can change it to sapphire is through a non-Rolex aftermarket outlet. It may affect it's waterproof capabilities.

> You probably could have the dial changed. But just getting the crystal cleaned up can make a huge difference.

> Your watch probably does not have a quick-set date. You need to change it with the hour hand.

> If the bracelet is not too stretched, then it is fine. You already have a service replacement clasp, so it may be that the bracelet too has already been replaced at least once.. The clasp code "S" is for service replacement, and the S10 is October 1994.
Old 14 July 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
jdc
"TRF" Member

Have a go at the crystal yourself with Polywatch and see how it cleans up. It is very cheap to buy google to find suppliers. Put masking tape around the bezel to protect it when cleaning the crystal.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 07:17 PM   #4
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Fluted bezels are gold, and it will be white gold. Older ones do show slight discolouration, also true on turnographs. A nice watch it will spruce up a treat.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 11:31 PM   #5
dkazaz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at the pics, its surprising how good it looks! Believe me the jpegs (or my camera) have obscured a lot of the damage. The scratches on the face are actually pretty bad but they do not show up on camera.

So from what I understand a service will replace the glass etc. I have read posts where people advise not to accept changing the crown and hands - any reason for this?

Also, can anyone confirm the question of the quick-set date? Did models of this era (1968) not have it?

I hope I can have the face re-finished or cleaned because I doubt I will find the same one. If I can get the face and crystal OK, the watch will be great!
Old 15 July 2009, 08:58 AM   #6
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Nope, 1968 was not a quick set date.

I would polish up the crystal, see how you like it.

Tooth paste works.

The original hands and dial make the watch more collectable. The crown is a wear item and I don't see an issue with replacing it with another correct one.

That watch will look great. Stick it out.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
dkazaz
"TRF" Member

Great! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Don't know if I can do much to the crystal though - these pics are after a thorough clean with soap and damp cloth, soaking the wrist-band in a bowl of hot soap water and mild polishing the crystal with toothpaste - unless I did it wrong! :-)

By the way, when will Rolex stop servicing a watch - after how many years? Will they work on something like this from 1968?
Old 18 July 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
GinGinD

It's very similar to the DJ I inherited from my dad which is from roughly the same time period. I can't date Daddy's exactly because most of the serial number has been rubbed away by the bracelet.

I don't think I'd even bother sending it to an RSC. Someone like Dalton or Bob Ridley will do a great job without the risk of changing parts you might not want to change. The reason people suggest not changing hands, dial, etc is that many collectors like vintage watches kept as original as possible, thus swapping out parts can affect its value.

I WOULD NOT change the crystal from acrylic to sapphire. For one thing, they seat differently on the watch and the sapphire is likely not to fit just right. Also, see remark above about swapping parts and the affect it has on vlaue. To be fair, I love my sapphire crystal on my contemporary midsize DJ and it's nice to have the scratch resistant qualities on my daily watch. But the acrylic crystal has a lovely soft glow that gives a vintage watch much of its charm. I think you'd be sorry to lose that.

Polywatch will do wonders for cleaning the crystal. You'd be amazed how much of the scratches it will remove. Polywatch is available on Amazon. In the meantime, try Brasso. I've also used a general metal cleaner/polisher. You can use tootpaste, but make sure it's not one of the speckled kinds.

My dad wore his watch for everything, and I mean everything. The crystal wasn't scratched, it was gouged. Metal cleaner fixed it right up.

For a different look, you can put your DJ on a strap too. Changing bracelets and straps is easier to do than you think and with a little practice and the right tools you'll become an expert.

Enjoy your watch! Heirloom pieces are really special.

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2009, 02:58 PM   #9
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
I gouged the crystal on my vintage DJ and almost threw up I was so upset. It was a really large scratch.

Crest toothpaste made it as good as new.
The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2009, 03:16 PM   #10
pz93c
"TRF" Member

They do look great on a strap.

My '68.

pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 07:11 PM   #11
dkazaz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

As far as using the RSC goes, I think it is my only realistic option, because I do not live in the US so sending the watch there for service and parts repair sounds prohibitively expensive (and complicated). If any of you believe otherwise, please let me know. At the moment I'm hoping the RSC will be nice enough to accommodate my requests.

I have another question for all those of you who speak about miracles using toothpaste etc on the the acrylic crystal. I tried it myself and what you see in the pictures in my 1st post is the result. I can't say it was such a huge improvement though it did polish the glass well. The scratches are another matter. How do you guys do it? I used colgate normal toothpaste on a soft cloth and rubbed the surface for about 3-5 mins. Did I miss something?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 28 July 2009, 08:22 PM   #12
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
With my hand supporting the watch, I put a dab of toothpaste on my thumb and rub firmly.

If your scratches are too deep, you may have to polish away more plastic than would be practical or prudent.

The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
I have just bought a watch very similar to yours. I don't have any sentiment attachment to mine, nor really care about devaluing it through refurbishment, so it's at Rolex getting the full works.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=88045

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2009, 10:28 PM   #14
dkazaz
"TRF" Member

I'm going to look into the option of sending it to Bob Ridley before handing to it over to the RSC (after all the horror stories I've heard).
Old 29 July 2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazaz View Post
I'm going to look into the option of sending it to Bob Ridley before handing to it over to the RSC (after all the horror stories I've heard).
Rolex here in England have always provided an excellent service over the years. No complaints and on two occasions they have fixed and cleaned my Air-King FOC when it has been out of warranty! Not sure what the standards are like in other countries, but I would have thought that Rolex had service levels and quality standards that they have to adhere to worldwide!

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 07:03 PM   #16
dkazaz
"TRF" Member

I am certain that overall standards are maintained.

However beyond that it falls to the individuals in place at each RSC and their management.

In some cases that will result in helpful service with a smile and in others in arrogant and inflexible attitudes.

In my case, I care about having only the glass replaced and either having the dial refinished or having it replaced and the original returned. I do not know if the RSC will do that, but I have heard that they do not like to return parts, hence my squeamishness about them.