The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2023, 09:25 AM   #61
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I wouldn't force it on her in the hope it'll grown on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollei35 View Post
wear or stare, this dial just look silly.
your wife is right.
This dial won’t grow. It’s very polar. Don’t do it.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 10:05 AM   #62
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
Do people genuinely like this dial? I’m being serious too.
Personally, I feel if it wasn’t hyped up, the general consensus is NO!
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 10:07 AM   #63
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
In 1981 for my wife's 30th birthday I decided to buy her a new Rolex watch. At the time my job was progressing nicely, and I wanted to get something that would celebrate a milestone birthday.

I realized that for a purchase of this magnitude I wanted to get it right, and asked her to come to the AD with me to decide what she liked. Despite her thinking the purchase was extravagant I suggested that it would probably last a lifetime and could be serviced to last indefinitely.

She decided on the Ladies DJ TT, champaign dial, Jubilee bracelet. That was 42 years ago and she has worn that watch every day since. It's been serviced many times, most recently last year, and despite my offering to buy her a new Rolex of her choice she won't ever part with it.

After she had the watch for a few months, and seeing how much she enjoyed it, I decided to get one for me. Despite my recent purchase of a DJ 41 smooth bezel Oyster white dial companion, we both enjoy seeing the twin vintage DJs side by side, and recalling 40+ years of memory that we've shared with them during our 51 married years together.

Regardless of what you decide, may you enjoy the journey together as much as we have.
^ great story and thanks for sharing
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 10:10 AM   #64
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Yes, it’s cool. However, not my cup of tea.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 02:34 PM   #65
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
On second thought, after reading comments in the thread, instead of saying this is 'an investment' watch, which was what I originally said, I think given your relationship with the AD in getting a celebration dial, you should be able to buy something that your wife likes and be able to offer it... maybe not by Christmas, but soon enough, compared to many other ppl walking into a random AD.

So get what she wants, and I am sure your AD should be able to offer you that.

FYI, I recently spoke to my AD, the spending in getting a 41 celebration dial is similar to the spending for a Panda, and the spending for a 36 celebration would be close to a SS Black Daytona.

So I would rather take a Daytona any day.
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 12:40 AM   #66
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Seems you want her to like what you want, not what she wants.
Old 28 November 2023, 12:49 AM   #67
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
The designer has been fired by Rolex.

Or at least he/she should have been.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 03:53 PM   #68
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
In 1981 for my wife's 30th birthday I decided to buy her a new Rolex watch. At the time my job was progressing nicely, and I wanted to get something that would celebrate a milestone birthday.

I realized that for a purchase of this magnitude I wanted to get it right, and asked her to come to the AD with me to decide what she liked. Despite her thinking the purchase was extravagant I suggested that it would probably last a lifetime and could be serviced to last indefinitely.

She decided on the Ladies DJ TT, champaign dial, Jubilee bracelet. That was 42 years ago and she has worn that watch every day since. It's been serviced many times, most recently last year, and despite my offering to buy her a new Rolex of her choice she won't ever part with it.

After she had the watch for a few months, and seeing how much she enjoyed it, I decided to get one for me. Despite my recent purchase of a DJ 41 smooth bezel Oyster white dial companion, we both enjoy seeing the twin vintage DJs side by side, and recalling 40+ years of memory that we've shared with them during our 51 married years together.

Regardless of what you decide, may you enjoy the journey together as much as we have.
Great story. I have a similar story but without that much history to it. Essentially, the watch I always had my eye on (before I owned any luxury watches) for many years was a Breitling Navitimer. Because I knew she’d appreciate it and enjoy it, I made sure she had the first luxury watch between us, which was a diamond marker Breitling Ladies Cockpit. It’s still her most worn watch despite having another more substantial watch and she still appreciates the gesture that I put her first.

I had to wait a couple more years after that before I ultimately bought my first luxury watch but enjoyed seeing her enjoy hers for the years before I got mine.

Here, I just hope she enjoys having something unique to wear and let’s face it, sometimes it sometimes adds to the enjoyment to wear something that is scarce (e.g., ss Daytonas unless you’re okay paying market).
FrequentTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 07:37 PM   #69
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
For those there questioning the dial, and Iwn one. It’s great dial and goes with any purifier (tested) much to my surprise. It’s a fun creative dial, and as hard to get as a Panda.

A friend also got the 36mm , must harder to read time, according to my buddy but he still loves it. My 42 not an issue to read the time. A woman friend (we all are VIP’s) at rep dealers same city) just got hers last week before holiday and she says hadn’t taken off since then.” ( she has a 28mm? vintage DJ TT and a vintage special all gold Dj on jubilee with diamonds accents).

For those not fan, it’s great fisk, a fun watch, will be unique collectable , and truly makes you happy to see multi color “balloons”,
Only buy ftom AD! a Heard from AD that fake ones are all over in the internet and they look low quality on dial. He saw a couple that people brought in to validate they were real!

Any way buy bay if you want to keep.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 07:50 PM   #70
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
This dial is absolutely lovely, go for it!
Old 29 November 2023, 09:59 PM   #71
Bbp
"TRF" Member

Photo doesnt do it justice and most of the AD wrapped the exhibition piece in plastic and it is hard to see the true vibrancy and contrast of the different lacquered colors… and when they coupled and juxtaposed with the hour markers that glitter under different lightings, the celebration dial is truly special. I guess majority of the naysayer have not seen it in the flesh. Btw, i am a biased and fortunate 36mm owner.
Bbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 10:07 PM   #72
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
If it had a date, I would go for the 36mm.
Old 3 December 2023, 03:13 AM   #73
FrequentTrain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
This dial is absolutely lovely, go for it!
Agreed. The dial almost looks fake because there are no errors to the naked eye on the dial. I’ve asked for a 36 or 41mm for myself. I would agree that the legibility is affected slightly by how much the dial has going on but really just a minor thing.

Will revert back after Christmas.
FrequentTrain is offline   Reply With Quote