The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you wear your watch
Do you wear this watch as a daily wearer, or in a daily wearer rotation ? 77 81.91%
Do/would you wear this watch on holiday and/or when travelling ? 55 58.51%
Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt in public places ? 55 58.51%
Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt on the beach ? 34 36.17%
Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt in a pub/bar ? 47 50.00%
Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt on a hotel premises ? 51 54.26%
Are you happy wearing out and about generally with a long sleeve/coat, etc. ? 62 65.96%
Do you wear when swimming ? 27 28.72%
Do you wear when doing active sports (e.g. skiing) ? 19 20.21%
Are you as happy at night and at day ? 57 60.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 February 2024, 07:25 PM   #31
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Wearing your watch with a T-Shirt, lol. Why so it’s so important that a T-Shirt comes up in most of your questions.

Wear it how you want to wear it.

Safety varies in cities, etc…

Just wear and be alert, alert

Jeans and t-shirts how tiring to hear this comment -wear a hoodie.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:46 PM   #32
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post

Jeans and t-shirts how tiring to hear this comment -wear a hoodie.
too hot in summer. I hate overheating

I think that there are generally no problems with any watch with long sleeves
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:57 PM   #33
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
Hi all.

I have recently purchased a bi-metal DJ. I absolutely love it to bits, but it is quite flashy.

I live in London, which is generally quite safe. There have been some well publicised watch gang thefts, although the police are finally doing something about them, and have had some success, estimating that more then half the gangs have been arrested following ongoing sting type exercises.

I would love to know what your habits are. For me, I am happy wearing the watch anywhere with longs sleeves. Not necessary a short shirt, could just be a coat or cardigan. I was happy to wear the watch with a t-shirt in a posh hotel bar, or other bar. I am also happy to wear in a more upmarket club or sports centre with a t-shirt.

I might be reticent wearing this with a t-shirt around general London in summer, although I haven't got there yet. I also don't intent to swim with it, although I also don't swim even with some of my Seikos :) I am in two minds about taking it on holiday. I guess it depends on the place.

Some questions for you guys:
1. Do you wear this watch as a daily wearer, or in a daily wearer rotation ?
2. Do/would you wear this watch on holiday and/or when travelling ?
3. Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt in public places ?
4. Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt on the beach ?
5. Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt in a pub ?
6. Are you happy wearing with a t-shirt in a hotel ?
7. Are you happy wearing out and about generally with a long sleeve/coat, etc. ?
8. Do you wear when swimming ?
9. Do you wear when doing active sports (e.g. skiing) ?
10. Are you as happy at night and at day ?

Any comments would be very interesting. Also if you note where you live.
As much as you/we would like to believe a watch is flashy because it has a few polished surfaces, a solid gold Day-Date is no more flashy than a steel OP 36.

Noone, I repeat, noone, pays attention to the watch you are wearing, unless they're up to no good, in which case it doesn't matter if your watch is made of gold or brushed steel, they will spot it regardless.

1. rotation because I have too many watches, but I would wear it daily if only had the one.
2. yes.
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes
6. yes
8. yes
9. yes
10. i am most happy after a good meal, regardless of time of day.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:12 AM   #34
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

If these are not being worn….why?
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 02:48 PM   #35
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
I have one Rolex - 279171-0001, which I wear 24/7. Hubs bought it for me for our 40th anniversary in 2021. Prior to receiving it, I wore a Tag Heuer WJF1353, also 24/7. The only time I was ever nervous at all when wearing either watch was one night in Oakland, CA, after returning from Hawaii. We had to go to a store to get some medical supplies because I had an infected surgical wound. I wasn't worried because of the watch - I was worried because of the 5.6 carat diamond tennis bracelet that I also wore 24/7. So I stuck my hand/wrist in the pocket of the slacks I was wearing.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 05:44 PM   #36
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
I answered yes to every question then read your post re: living in London.

I don’t know exactly where in London you live but I’m no wimp but (my wife and) I don’t wear any Rolex when we’re in town.
(To clarify, London is the only place I even think about which watch I’m wearing).

I don’t even wear a Rolex to West Ham any more and I had done for twenty years.

Too many scumbags with a machete and nothing to lose.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 05:48 PM   #37
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
I answered yes to every question then read your post re: living in London.

I don’t know exactly where in London you live but I’m no wimp but (my wife and) I don’t wear any Rolex when we’re in town.
(To clarify, London is the only place I even think about which watch I’m wearing).

I don’t even wear a Rolex to West Ham any more and I had done for twenty years.

Too many scumbags with a machete and nothing to lose.
I understand your sentiment but I am comfortable wearing anywhere in London with a long sleeve, and generally with a short sleeve in a nice restaurant, bar, hotel, flying or at work. I probably won’t wear walking around with a t-shirt in London or any city for that matter, except in Japan where I feel safe at all times.
Old 7 February 2024, 10:49 PM   #38
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I understand your sentiment but I am comfortable wearing anywhere in London with a long sleeve, and generally with a short sleeve in a nice restaurant, bar, hotel, flying or at work. I probably won’t wear walking around with a t-shirt in London or any city for that matter, except in Japan where I feel safe at all times.
nice restaurants and bars are actually where you'd find a lot of spotters and people tipping off thieves. i'm not saying don't wear your watches, just saying that being around a bunch of rich people is actually a false sense of security in cities where crimes like this are common. especially at bars where there's a good chance you'll be having drinks and relaxing. there was a thread a few months ago where someone got robbed of his day date at gunpoint outside a popular club in a rich area in LA, where he only spent 5 mins at, because someone at the club tipped him off, and that's an area where a day date probably isn't even considered to be a special watch
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:55 PM   #39
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I wear my flashy Bluesy at the office all year around, on rotation with the rest of the collection.

I don't wear luxury watches downtown in summer on short sleeves. Gangs are operating in touristic spots. Better avoid.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:00 PM   #40
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
nice restaurants and bars are actually where you'd find a lot of spotters and people tipping off thieves. i'm not saying don't wear your watches, just saying that being around a bunch of rich people is actually a false sense of security in cities where crimes like this are common. especially at bars where there's a good chance you'll be having drinks and relaxing. there was a thread a few months ago where someone got robbed of his day date at gunpoint outside a popular club in a rich area in LA because someone at the club tipped him off, and that's an area where a day date probably isn't even considered to be a special watch
Those are good points. I guess one needs to be aware at all times. I am not habitually a fan of super trendy or crowded places, and where I go there tend to be sparsely populated, or low capacity venues, with people who are quite identifiable as to whether they fit in or not.

In any event, my view is in line with many of the ones I see written here, namely I bought the watch to wear, and within reasonable bounds, being aware I will wear it. I don’t feel particularly vulnerable in London. I wouldn’t wear for swimming or sports just because of damage, and I would be more circumspect when wearing with short sleeves anywhere.

I have been mugged before, actually in Amsterdam, and it was not a nice experience. I have also seen necklaces pulled off folk and motorbike thieves, so have some street awareness, but my conclusion is to keep wearing.

My current dilemma is whether to wear to Athens next week. My Greek friends tell me that apart from avoiding certain streets I should be fine. Still making the decision.
Old 7 February 2024, 11:44 PM   #41
Drdrew
"TRF" Member

All day every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:51 AM   #42
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdrew View Post
All day every day

As it should be. Wear what puts a smile on your face…..

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:56 AM   #43
turfmanjon
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Those are good points. I guess one needs to be aware at all times. I am not habitually a fan of super trendy or crowded places, and where I go there tend to be sparsely populated, or low capacity venues, with people who are quite identifiable as to whether they fit in or not.

In any event, my view is in line with many of the ones I see written here, namely I bought the watch to wear, and within reasonable bounds, being aware I will wear it. I don’t feel particularly vulnerable in London. I wouldn’t wear for swimming or sports just because of damage, and I would be more circumspect when wearing with short sleeves anywhere.

I have been mugged before, actually in Amsterdam, and it was not a nice experience. I have also seen necklaces pulled off folk and motorbike thieves, so have some street awareness, but my conclusion is to keep wearing.

My current dilemma is whether to wear to Athens next week. My Greek friends tell me that apart from avoiding certain streets I should be fine. Still making the decision.

Wore my YG YM42 last summer in Athens on vacation. Felt totally safe and we were all over the place doing tourist activities. Bought a Panerai at the boutique while there too!

turfmanjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:10 AM   #44
"TRF" Member

Anywhere and everywhere, honestly. Most people think the YG sub is fake, and no one knows what the Smurf is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6426.jpeg (100.6 KB, 73 views)
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:36 PM   #45
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I wear my GMT meteorite everywhere I go as my daily watch. I love it!!
Rolex1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:47 PM   #46
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I wear a DD 40 platinum the most in my rotation.
Daytonaman799 is online now   Reply With Quote