The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 February 2024, 02:26 AM   #31
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlddrrr View Post
And this is news to you because?
Smells like OP is trolling.

Seems to be more of this on TRF now that the market is normalizing a bit.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:40 AM   #32
zengineer
"TRF" Member

They could sell them under MSRP and sell the same day they come in, just have not-for-sale exhibition used watches in the case, and keep waiting lists.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:49 AM   #33
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
I think it is similar to the car market. You can either buy a used car at a lesser price thru private dealers or buy one from authorized dealer at a premium.It is the choice of the customer where he wants to go.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:57 AM   #34
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I was looking at the website for the one remaining Rolex retailer in Maryland, and the prices they have listed are ridiculous. They are exponentially higher than regular retail and even worse than straight grey market. I would never spend the kind of money they are asking for a Rolex Certified Refurbished watch. I don't see how anyone would. And the funny thing is they had pretty much every single model listed.
Old 8 February 2024, 02:59 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
When I went to the AD a few weeks ago they wanted $18K for a used SD43. That's wild. Especially since they can be found for under MSRP at several resellers.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #36
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Yes, what Kevin said! We think alike, and Kevin, just so you know, I never met a Kevin I didn’t like. I even named one of my sons Kevin….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, Kat. You are rational and even tempered. I have much to learn from you.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:57 AM   #37
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Yes, what Kevin said! We think alike, and Kevin, just so you know, I never met a Kevin I didn’t like. I even named one of my sons Kevin….

The last 3 Kevin's i knew, one as a liar, the other told half truths and the other owed me 100 bucks and he skipped town years ago..hummmm??..what's their last name?????

j/k
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 04:01 AM   #38
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
The last 3 Kevin's i knew, one as a liar, the other told half truths and the other owed me 100 bucks and he skipped town years ago..hummmm??..what's their last name?????

j/k
I’ll pay you back I swear, just as soon as I get these boxes packed.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:07 AM   #39
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That could not work. Watches must be at least 3 years old to qualify for CPO program, which I now see now, has already been mentioned. If it’s true, that the program is doing well, I’m surprised. For those who think that ADs should be able to set their own prices, on new stock, then there would be no incentive to buy from an AD. We would all go grey, rather than be on a waiting list. Some of us, would give up on the brand. I see no upside, for ADs to do that.

Kat

If the ADs were selling watches at the same prices the greys charge, why *wouldn’t* you buy from an AD? And the idea is that there wouldn’t be a waiting list if ADs could sell at market prices. The whole reason there’s a list is because ADs have to sell below market.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:11 AM   #40
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
If the ADs were selling watches at the same prices the greys charge, why *wouldn’t* you buy from an AD? And the idea is that there wouldn’t be a waiting list if ADs could sell at market prices. The whole reason there’s a list is because ADs have to sell below market.

Central price controls leading to an arbitrage side economy (black market). Seems like a theme in human society.
Old 8 February 2024, 06:25 AM   #41
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Rolex Refubs listed higher than MSRP

Quote:

There is a waiting list, because of lack of stock. Demand is greater than supply. One of the questions I asked , at my AD visit on Saturday, was about available stock. I asked if it were true that they had Subs, GMTs, etc., in a the safe, at all times, in case a VIP comes in. My SA laughed, and said, “No, absolutely not! We keep allocated pieces in the safe, until they are collected. Right now, we only have two watches, in there.”
Apparently, Rolex had shut down over the holidays, and they just started getting deliveries again.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:43 AM   #42
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is a waiting list, because of lack of stock. Demand is greater than supply. One of the questions I asked , at my AD visit on Saturday, was about available stock. I asked if it were true that they had Subs, GMTs, etc., in a the safe, at all times, in case a VIP comes in. My SA laughed, and said, “No, absolutely not! We keep allocated pieces in the safe, until they are collected. Right now, we only have two watches, in there.”
Apparently, Rolex had shut down over the holidays, and they just started getting deliveries again.

Kat

If the prices were higher there would be more stock.
It’s pretty simple. Demand goes down when prices go up.
As much as people say “Veblen good” here, it’s only true to a point. Less people will by a submariner at 20K than they will at 10K
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:58 AM   #43
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
If the prices were higher there would be more stock.
It’s pretty simple. Demand goes down when prices go up.
As much as people say “Veblen good” here, it’s only true to a point. Less people will by a submariner at 20K than they will at 10K

That’s why the ADs won’t try to raise their prices on brand new stock, nor would Rolex allow them to do so. It would be a disastrous move for the brand, as I already stated.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 10:32 AM   #44
Flypanam
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor: Pelagos 42 Blue; North Flag; BB GMT
Best of the rest: Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Grand Seiko Soko SBGA429; Breitling Chronomat 40 GMT
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:27 AM   #45
favx
2024 Pledge Member

This actually is no news.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:34 AM   #46
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by favx View Post
This actually is no news.
43 posts before you say that it's no news that it is no news.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:14 PM   #47
Snipe10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is old news. Search Rolex CPO (Certified Preowned) program. It’s been well documented here, on the forum.

Kat

I'm aware of the program, just hadn't seen such a large selection, and never paid attention to the prices,

best
Snipe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:38 PM   #48
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doood View Post
The shipment of brand new watches will go straight into the CPO glass case. Tell me this won’t happen.

In all fairness, I would do that also if it was my AD, all with the blessing of Rolex. Just remove stickers and record a straw buyer.
The AD doesn't even have to work that hard for it. Just encourage previous clients to "trade in" previously purchased watches and give allocation preference to those who have a trade in over those that don't.

I really like my Daytona, but I'd think about it seriously if my AD called and made me a nice offer on it against something I might like more.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:53 PM   #49
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
The AD doesn't even have to work that hard for it. Just encourage previous clients to "trade in" previously purchased watches and give allocation preference to those who have a trade in over those that don't.

I really like my Daytona, but I'd think about it seriously if my AD called and made me a nice offer on it against something I might like more.
Agree, bet some executives discussed this on the chairlift in between schusses.
Milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:45 PM   #50
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doood View Post
The shipment of brand new watches will go straight into the CPO glass case. Tell me this won’t happen.

In all fairness, I would do that also if it was my AD, all with the blessing of Rolex. Just remove stickers and record a straw buyer.

+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:59 PM   #51
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:

Kat

That might be true at your AD but not necessarily at all AD's. I was in Maui one week, apparently at the same time as another member here. Was in the AD at Waimea and was looking at watches, wearing my sub. Asked what they had in the back and the SA said, "Oh we don't do that. Every watch we receive goes immediately in the cases." OK...

That same week, another member here was in the same store and was thinking of buying a bejeweled 28 or 31 DJ for his wife. Asked if they had something in the back to sweeten the deal. The SA came out with a Hulk. At retail.

I wouldn't have cared if they told me the truth. That's just business.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 05:46 PM   #52
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Ermmm….
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 06:59 PM   #53
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
The watch has to be at least two years old to be eligible for CPO
Oh…. I probably should have read the fine print before commenting. Carry on.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote