The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2024, 06:13 PM   #91
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
My Parnis and Pagani beater watches with retail prices ranging from $50 to $150 seem to have some unusually fine, myth dispelling, ceramic bezels.

https://www.parniswatch.pro/index.ph...roduct_id=1009

https://www.paganidesignwatch.com/pa...yABEgKTYPD_BwE

Are we really trying to say that Rolex in all its glory can’t make a blue/red ceramic bezel in volume while this small example of two homage companies have visibly zero issues knocking out ceramic bezels?
I think this is hilarious and if there's even 2% truth behind this what does it say for Rolex well I don't want to repeat what I've said but in this case it looks like the marketing machine theory is 100% correct
Old 15 February 2024, 07:10 PM   #92
APPRF
"TRF" Member

If Rolex discontinue the Pepsi for the reason of bezel fail percentage, that would be a big fail and embarrassment for Rolex in my opinion.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:12 PM   #93
cmc_tht
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
If Rolex discontinue the Pepsi for the reason of bezel fail percentage, that would be a big fail and embarrassment for Rolex in my opinion.
Some say the pepsi on PM model remains
cmc_tht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:12 PM   #94
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The only thing that sounded true is that the Pepsi wouldn’t be discontinued, because it’s so popular. The rest sounded unbelievable, to say the least, in my opinion.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Patek decided to discontinue the 5711 because of ridiculous demand and inability to supply so I can see this being a possible reason. But I also agree with your statement.
Daytonaboy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:23 PM   #95
lab rat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
My Parnis and Pagani beater watches with retail prices ranging from $50 to $150 seem to have some unusually fine, myth dispelling, ceramic bezels.

https://www.parniswatch.pro/index.ph...roduct_id=1009

https://www.paganidesignwatch.com/pa...yABEgKTYPD_BwE

Are we really trying to say that Rolex in all its glory can’t make a blue/red ceramic bezel in volume while this small example of two homage companies have visibly zero issues knocking out ceramic bezels?

This is from Pagani website:

Friendly reminder: PD-1662's red frame is made of high-strength aluminum alloy, black and black-blue are ceramic frames.

As for Parnis, they don’t mention bezel material, but all the resellers claim Parnis Pepsi is aluminum.

I am not sure how you could have such a mistake. After all, those are your beater watches so you look at them every single day.

If you have ceramic dials on your Pagani and Parmis daily beaters I am afraid there is a chance your Pagani and your Parnis daily beaters may be… sorry to say it… erm… well, fake. I guess somebody took Rolex GMTs and painted “Pagani” and “Parnis” over it. Sorry to be the the bearer of bad news.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:33 PM   #96
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaboy1977 View Post
Patek decided to discontinue the 5711 because of ridiculous demand and inability to supply so I can see this being a possible reason. But I also agree with your statement.
That would mean the SS Daytona is first in line to be discontinued not the Pepsi.
Old 15 February 2024, 08:36 PM   #97
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
This is from Pagani website:

Friendly reminder: PD-1662's red frame is made of high-strength aluminum alloy, black and black-blue are ceramic frames.

As for Parnis, they don’t mention bezel material, but all the resellers claim Parnis Pepsi is aluminum.

I am not sure how you could have such a mistake. After all, those are your beater watches so you look at them every single day.

If you have ceramic dials on your Pagani and Parmis daily beaters I am afraid there is a chance your Pagani and your Parnis daily beaters may be… sorry to say it… erm… well, fake. I guess somebody took Rolex GMTs and painted “Pagani” and “Parnis” over it. Sorry to be the the bearer of bad news.
Rolex has been producing the ceramic Pepsi bezel for ten years. Why is the fail rate of bezel is suddenly an issue that would lead to a discontinuation. If it gets discontinued the reason will not be the bezel.
Old 15 February 2024, 08:39 PM   #98
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
That would mean the SS Daytona is first in line to be discontinued not the Pepsi.
To my knowledge producing parts for the Daytona is not an issue, just demand is stratospheric.

The bezel on the Pepsi is an issue to manufacture (Allegedly) and the demand is just as big for the BLRO as the Daytona.

Makes sense in this situation to divert the manufacturing attention to other watches. I can see it being discontinued but it would be a real shame as it's iconic and probably the favourite and most worn in my collection.

Just my opinion of course.
Daytonaboy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:41 PM   #99
lab rat
"TRF" Member

I was only speaking about the way they make bezels. As for discontinuation - if I could guess what they are planning, I would be able to at least buy the watch I know so much about. :)
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 09:00 PM   #100
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Not that my opinion counts but i think they'll keep it in the line up as another Daytona type unicorn watch as they must sell so many extra models to people hoping to build enough spend up to be offered a BLRO. I see on instagram this morning reports of Rolex filing for patent on a black and red bezel in 2022 so it could mean a return of the Coke but if so I imagine it will be in PM only to begin with.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 09:24 PM   #101
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Bezel defects and production has nothing to do with the pepsi production, which has been in place for a number of years now. People came up with this rumor due to high demand for the watch - don't let that fool you.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 09:27 PM   #102
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
Not that my opinion counts but i think they'll keep it in the line up as another Daytona type unicorn watch as they must sell so many extra models to people hoping to build enough spend up to be offered a BLRO. I see on instagram this morning reports of Rolex filing for patent on a black and red bezel in 2022 so it could mean a return of the Coke but if so I imagine it will be in PM only to begin with.
Exactly this
Old 15 February 2024, 10:01 PM   #103
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Good prediction /\/\ if the BLRO doesn’t get discounted that is.
Old 15 February 2024, 11:05 PM   #104
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Rolex has been producing the ceramic Pepsi bezel for ten years. Why is the fail rate of bezel is suddenly an issue that would lead to a discontinuation. If it gets discontinued the reason will not be the bezel.

Almost seems like rumors being used to drive the price of the BLRO up again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 12:54 AM   #105
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Almost seems like rumors being used to drive the price of the BLRO up again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt, and it's working according to Chrono24 metrics. The Chrono24 figures show an increase of approx £800 in the past month. It doesn't bother me as I already have one but it's sad for those that are still wanting to purchase one as in the unlikely event it does get discontinued it will likely skyrocket completely out of reach and if it doesn't the prices may hold steady anticipating discontinuation next year, this yearly prediction of being discontinued kept Hulk prices up for the last few years of production.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:15 AM   #106
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

My uncle Hans works in the ceramic bezel lab at RLX in Geneva and sent me this pic. Obviously they are experiencing a very serious problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex ceramic bezel lab.jpg (169.0 KB, 151 views)
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:28 AM   #107
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchSmith View Post
My uncle Hans works in the ceramic bezel lab at RLX in Geneva and sent me this pic. Obviously they are experiencing a very serious problem.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:30 AM   #108
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:37 AM   #109
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
The whole idea of two Rolex elves was absurd to me until you broke down the numbers. Now I think there is a chance it is true.

Bezels are not hand painted. I have been told that the process of making any gmt ceramic bezel works like this: first the whole bezel is submerged in one color, then just the half of it is submerged in another. Pepsi combo was tough to get right from the beginning: sometimes the result had purple hue because blue reacted with red, and many times batches had to be discarded because the line separating the colors was not perfect. They managed to get better with the whole process, but it still is far from easy and 100% successful. Anyway, two guys actually might be enough to produce them because they don’t paint them one by one: they “just” submerge them in batches and wait for them to dry. That is the reason why all gmts except Pepsi obviously has one half black: it’s easy to cover the other color with black.
Whoever told you that was either pulling your leg or (more likely) is an idiot.

The process Rolex uses to produce ceramic bezels (single and two colour) has been described at length by Rolex itself in its own publication. I've posted a link to the Rolex doc on this thread and Brian has posted a third party reproduction of that.

They are not painted. By hand or otherwise. They are not dipped. By hand or otherwise.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:38 AM   #110
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 04:43 AM   #111
Order 72
Banned

Their guess is as good as anyone.
Order 72 is offline   Reply With Quote