The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2024, 12:49 PM   #1
docmri
"TRF" Member

Why is a blank warranty card better for resale?

Hi,
I was shopping/looking at subs in the sale section by various sellers.
I noticed a watch I like, about 10 years old, with a box and papers. There was also a warranty card with handwritten jotting saying the watch was sold on a certain date in 2015, but the purchaser was blank. In the seller's post, he said this was much preferred. In fact, I noticed many sales y the same seller with many of the warranty cards appearing hand written and the seller left blank.
a) Why is this better? I asked the seller but had not heard back so I am asking here.

In fact, since this sub is out of warranty and I really have no way of knowing what year it was made with its scrambled number, I would rely on the sales/warranty card to tell me the year it was made. But I kind of grew a little suspicious that many of the cards he was selling had hand-written dates and no seller info filled out. After all, it is much easier to fake a blank warranty card than a watch. Is this the norm? Is it acceptable and common to ask the AD to leave the buyer blank? I would think with cards being so easy to fake it would make for better provencance if there was a original buyer name on it. Then again, if it is filled out with John Smith it wouldnt make a difference anyways. I suppose the wathch goes with the card and the name is irrelevant when bringing in for service (unless stolen)
docmri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 12:55 PM   #2
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: big fat invicta
i've often wondered about this as well, and am curious to hear the responses on this one .. .
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 01:12 PM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I didn't know that brought a premium.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 01:19 PM   #4
docmri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I didn't know that brought a premium.
Apparently I asked on a different thread a few days ago about Box and Papers and their value. Seems collectors prefer complete sets, of which the warranty card is a part. In many of these watches, there is no way to actually know the year it was made/initally sold since the models don't cvary from year to year and serials are scrambled. So, the only clue would be the bill of sale or the original warranty card. But, since I am starting to realize that a warranty card is MUCH EASIER to fake then a watch having a blank seller made me a little cautious and now I am trying to understand the process as I prepare to buy A 5+ old Sub that is out of warranty. Anyways, seller flat out said in their post that blank is preferred or much better. I am trying to ask why and is that true?
Old 8 April 2024, 01:58 PM   #5
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

A blank may be preferred because or leaves the date of a scrambled serial watch unknown. Let’s say it’s a latest model sub date. You won’t know for sure if it’s a 2020 or 2024, as they will both have the same card type.

I have seen plenty of blank cards but not in recent years. AD will be under strict instructions to add the date as part of the process to register the warranty.

Remember, buyer names don’t get added to the new cards. Only the date. The model and serial is already pre printed.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 02:01 PM   #6
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmri View Post
Apparently I asked on a different thread a few days ago about Box and Papers and their value. Seems collectors prefer complete sets, of which the warranty card is a part. In many of these watches, there is no way to actually know the year it was made/initally sold since the models don't cvary from year to year and serials are scrambled. So, the only clue would be the bill of sale or the original warranty card. But, since I am starting to realize that a warranty card is MUCH EASIER to fake then a watch having a blank seller made me a little cautious and now I am trying to understand the process as I prepare to buy A 5+ old Sub that is out of warranty. Anyways, seller flat out said in their post that blank is preferred or much better. I am trying to ask why and is that true?
You can spot a fake card if you know what you’re looking for. The three blue stripes on the white version from the last decade is a give away. Those lines are made up of micro text.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 02:05 PM   #7
docmri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrailTime View Post
A blank may be preferred because or leaves the date of a scrambled serial watch unknown. Let’s say it’s a latest model sub date. You won’t know for sure if it’s a 2020 or 2024, as they will both have the same card type.

I have seen plenty of blank cards but not in recent years. AD will be under strict instructions to add the date as part of the process to register the warranty.

Remember, buyer names don’t get added to the new cards. Only the date. The model and serial is already pre printed.
So the one I am referring to had the model and serial printed and the date hand written in. Only the buyer name was was blank.
In the example you gave, 2020-2024. Wouldnt knowing the date be important info as I buy since I want to know how much time is left under the warranty when I purchase it? More time under the warranty would make it more valuable to me. But, for a watch that is 2010-2020 and out of warranty it would be less important to me for the warranty info but could tell me if a watch is 10 years older or not and that may influence my purchase if the style had stayed the same.
Old 8 April 2024, 02:55 PM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Not all that long ago the buyer’s names and selling date were handwritten on the card by the AD at delivery. Back in those days it’s entirely possible that ADs left the buyer’s name and/or date blank. It might have been desirable especially to a reseller.
A blank card on a ten year old plus watch wouldn’t add any value to me.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:21 PM   #9
illiguy

I actually find it more suspicious than value add to have a blank warranty card. Certain ADs might run business out the back door, but it seems they consistently, and in the great majority of instances, still date the warranty card.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:33 PM   #10
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Because you can write your own name on the card which is nice if you want to gift it later on to your kids. It makes it ‘really’ yours.
For me a blanc original warranty has added value
Old 8 April 2024, 06:02 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The only time any warranty has any value for me is whether it has any valid Rolex warranty left.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:45 PM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The serial number should match the watch. Once the original warranty has expired, past aesthetic value, sentimental value and the nice little wallet, it's only practical use is potentially pumping the price should you sell, because some buyers love bits of defunct plastic and will pay good money for them, with or without the first owner's name. If it was a particular watch in a particular condition that I particularly wanted, I would pay - but not just for a nameless card. Your money, your choice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 08:26 PM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Given they’re usually stored away rarely to be seen again in a box, it’s silly to obsess over warranty cards IMO.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 09:09 PM   #14
majidessa
"TRF" Member

A warranty card and box for highly desirable (collectable) pieces provides history and make the watch full set which is a desired thing for any hobby, but for regular models there is really no need, I think that one can opt for the new service card (which i'm a big fan of their new design and functionality) as a good alternative to authenticate a watch along with reliable documentation.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 10:54 PM   #15
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The warranty card was activated at the time of purchase for as long as I have collected. Not too long ago, the warranty cards had an area where a name of the purchaser could be written. If you were buying the watch from a grey dealer, the card could have someone else's name on it (which really meant nothing, but it bothered some people). Having a blank card meant you could put your name on it, but again; it really meant nothing. It wasn't long ago that when you purchased a Rolex the AD really didn't care about filling out the cards completely, removing all the stickers, etc. This is a new thing to discourage re-sale.

Nowadays, the Rolex warranty cards don't even have a name on them (which I prefer anyway) as the warranty really follows the watch, not the buyer per se.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 10:57 PM   #16
russ86
"TRF" Member

The thing is,, I always found blank card, more suspicious, then card with date. Whenever I was purchasing grey, I always wanted to make sure that my card has a date so I know when it was purchased.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 11:03 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I used to like seeing the previous owners name on the paperwork.

In fact … the PAM690 I bought from DSW was owned by Brett Harmon who gave his review on the reference here:

https://www.paneraicentral.com/paner...-hands-review/

Of course I had no idea who owned the watch until I received it and saw his name on the paperwork.

His review was one of the reason I was so interested in the watch, so it was kind of cool that it played out the way it did
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 11:11 PM   #18
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

I don't think there is an advantage to a blank. I received a watch from the AD and they forgot to put the date on the card. I personally went back and had them fill it out.

Pro
* A blank card would allow you to put a date much later than when it was purchased effectively extending the warranty.
** HOWEVER, Why would Rolex honor this? In modern times, each watch is registered with Rolex at the time of purchase, this would only create confusion.

Con
It's suspicious.
It wouldn't extend the warranty IMO

It could only help an unscrupulous seller to claim the watch is newer to an unsuspecting buyer. ie. fraud.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 11:21 PM   #19
Bmats

In the context you note, a 10 year old sub with the date entered but no name—makes no difference. And I wouldn’t care one way or the other, and I certainly wouldn’t pay “more” for it.

If it was a modern version — say a 124060 that had a blank card without a date entered (recent modern cards as others noted have no name), that would bother me. I wouldn’t know if it was activated by the AD and would want to know when the 5 year warranty expired. Plus, for service, you need the card and the lack of date would be suspicious.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 02:49 AM   #20
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Given they’re usually stored away rarely to be seen again in a box, it’s silly to obsess over warranty cards IMO.

Not if you need warranty work….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 02:54 AM   #21
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
In the context you note, a 10 year old sub with the date entered but no name—makes no difference. And I wouldn’t care one way or the other, and I certainly wouldn’t pay “more” for it.

If it was a modern version — say a 124060 that had a blank card without a date entered (recent modern cards as others noted have no name), that would bother me. I wouldn’t know if it was activated by the AD and would want to know when the 5 year warranty expired. Plus, for service, you need the card and the lack of date would be suspicious.

Exactly this. A new Rolex cannot leave the AD without being activated by the special iPhone all the ADs have, for this purpose. Once activated the date is written in European format, though I’ve heard of USA ADs messing that part up. I’d run away from a deal with a blank ID card, if the watch has the latest green warranty card.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 04:10 AM   #22
jacowestt
2024 Pledge Member

The preference for blank warranty cards by sellers can vary, but it's often to maintain flexibility for potential buyers. Leaving the purchaser's information blank allows the new owner to fill it in, which some may prefer for privacy reasons or to make the watch feel more personalized. As for the handwritten dates, it's not uncommon, especially for older watches or watches sold through non-official channels. However, it's essential to exercise caution and verify the authenticity of both the watch and the warranty card before making a purchase, as there can be risks associated with blank or handwritten documentation. It's advisable to consult with a reputable expert or the manufacturer for guidance on authentication and verification.
jacowestt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:14 AM   #23
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmri View Post
Hi,
I was shopping/looking at subs in the sale section by various sellers.
I noticed a watch I like, about 10 years old, with a box and papers. There was also a warranty card with handwritten jotting saying the watch was sold on a certain date in 2015, but the purchaser was blank. In the seller's post, he said this was much preferred. In fact, I noticed many sales y the same seller with many of the warranty cards appearing hand written and the seller left blank.
a) Why is this better? I asked the seller but had not heard back so I am asking here.

In fact, since this sub is out of warranty and I really have no way of knowing what year it was made with its scrambled number, I would rely on the sales/warranty card to tell me the year it was made. But I kind of grew a little suspicious that many of the cards he was selling had hand-written dates and no seller info filled out. After all, it is much easier to fake a blank warranty card than a watch. Is this the norm? Is it acceptable and common to ask the AD to leave the buyer blank? I would think with cards being so easy to fake it would make for better provencance if there was a original buyer name on it. Then again, if it is filled out with John Smith it wouldnt make a difference anyways. I suppose the wathch goes with the card and the name is irrelevant when bringing in for service (unless stolen)
A blank warranty card, is not better for a watch that warranty had already expired. There is no added value.

If the seller had taken the watch in for service at RSC and comes back not stolen, then that could give you peace of mind when purchasing.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote