The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 May 2024, 11:54 AM   #1
23MOW23
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner 6538 serial number/red triangle

Hi,
Just wondering if someone can help me with this. I saw a Submariner 6538 Big Crown with a case back date IV.1958. The serial number on the case between the 6'Oclock lugs has 7 digits - 124XXXX. This confuses me because I thought with a case back of IV.1958, the production year for the watch should be 1958 or 1959, which means the serial number for the watch should be 6 digits starting from 328000 to 516000. Am I wrong on this? Also, doesn't a serial number of 124XXXX date the watch to 1966, but the 6538 were only produced between 1956 to 1959? But on the case between the 12 O'clock lugs, it is inscribed "BREVET 6538". Also, the bezel insert has a silver triangle, not a red triangle which I thought all case backs with IV.1958 should have (red triangle)?

Is this watch a counterfeit or a "frankein" watch made from different submariner parts?

Your help is appreciated.
Mano
23MOW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 08:17 PM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Run away. The serial number is wrong for that case. End of the discussion.

That's the serial number was in the correct range I wouldn't be worrying about the insert because most of those do not have their original insert. In the end posting some better pictures or links would be helpful to answer beyond any doubt.
Old 11 May 2024, 01:05 AM   #3
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Your description immediately pings my "Vietnam copy" radar which I'm 95% certain pictures would confirm.

I would also run away.
1675-David is online now   Reply With Quote