The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2024, 06:04 AM   #1
reposado
"TRF" Member

Black Bay 58 GMT - UK Availability?

Just wondering if anyone here has enquired about one of these or has any insights as to when they might start appearing?

I’d like to add one to the collection as personally I’ve always enjoyed Tudor’s burgundy & gilt vibe.

reposado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 07:24 AM   #2
Chris B
"TRF" Member

I'm second on the list with the local AD, they said availability is expected in early May
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 05:36 PM   #3
reposado
"TRF" Member

Interesting, thank you!
Old 21 April 2024, 08:11 PM   #4
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

It is frustrating watch brands are not more organised/transparent with availability.

On social media Tudor have said 'The Black Bay 58 GMT is officially released globally from April 9th 2024. Please contact your Official Tudor Retailer to confirm its local availability. You can find out more by clicking on the link in bio.'

'Local ADs' I have asked have the same 'dunno' response.

I guess the mystique around availability puts the 'Wonder' into watches
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 08:15 PM   #5
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

I have been keeping my eye on Chrono24.

It's probably a safe bet the first few sold will be straight on there.
Old 21 April 2024, 10:06 PM   #6
Lantenac06
"TRF" Member

I do wonder how much some of the mystique is manufactured by ADs. I was told by a couple of ADs in London, including the one I’ve bought Rolex and Tudor from in the past, that there has been a lot of interest in this model and they don’t know when it will be in and will keep me updated, etc. The classic vague Rolex availability spiel I guess. Whereas I spoke to a smaller AD outside London I bought from once and they were a lot more up front, saying the first watches were due in early May and they have a monthly allocation after that so hopefully it shouldn’t take too long to get one.

I agree it’s a little frustrating there isn’t more consistency in transparency, as for most stores good customer service would imply telling you when the first batch is expected, and offering to call you when the item is available. Here they seem to like keeping things vague.

But anyway - early May seems to be the expectation for first UK allocations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post
It is frustrating watch brands are not more organised/transparent with availability.

On social media Tudor have said 'The Black Bay 58 GMT is officially released globally from April 9th 2024. Please contact your Official Tudor Retailer to confirm its local availability. You can find out more by clicking on the link in bio.'

'Local ADs' I have asked have the same 'dunno' response.

I guess the mystique around availability puts the 'Wonder' into watches
Lantenac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 11:19 PM   #7
Oryx
"TRF" Member

They were for sale at a special pop up boutique in central Geneva on the day of launch and it looked like they had quite a few in stock.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:06 AM   #8
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

interesting this watch is still no where to be seen
Old 7 May 2024, 08:24 AM   #9
Gregdaytona997
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Can’t find them here in the US, at least I can’t.
Gregdaytona997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:19 AM   #10
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregdaytona997 View Post
Can’t find them here in the US, at least I can’t.

Same can’t find it or get an ETA when it’ll be in stock……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:52 AM   #11
Scholar
"TRF" Member

I'm on the list (and it seems like this dealer really did put me on a list, unlike the one I called last year about the 54 and 2023 Burgundy…) but same.

It's weird because it seems like Tudor has flooded the market with the 41mm Black Bay Black.

On the plus side maybe that means the GMT will be lower demand so hopefully we'll get them as soon as they go into production. Hoping to get mine ahead of a big stretch of travel later this year.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:55 AM   #12
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I quite like a bit of a delay and/ or waitlist on new releases - it saves me a lot of money as the initial excitement can easily wear off by the time they’re available!

Two good recent examples are the BB Pro and the 38mm aqua terra - I’d have ended up buying both of those if they were actually available and they wouldn’t have been long term keepers.

Lesson to watch companies - if you want to make more money, you need to give us the opportunity to impulse buy…
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 05:47 PM   #13
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
I quite like a bit of a delay and/ or waitlist on new releases - it saves me a lot of money as the initial excitement can easily wear off by the time they’re available!

Two good recent examples are the BB Pro and the 38mm aqua terra - I’d have ended up buying both of those if they were actually available and they wouldn’t have been long term keepers.

Lesson to watch companies - if you want to make more money, you need to give us the opportunity to impulse buy…
I agree with this 100%

My impulse control is also poor.

I am surprised Tudor hasn’t supplied some GMTs to reviewers at least
Old 8 May 2024, 04:47 AM   #14
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this 100%

My impulse control is also poor.

I am surprised Tudor hasn’t supplied some GMTs to reviewers at least
They seemed to supply one to this guy for week or so, who spent his whole discussion looking at the camera and showing the watch for 10 seconds on one of his straps lol. Still it offers some looks at it away from the W&W pavillion.

I saw someone on WUS describing Adrian Barker holding the watch for a minute at Tudor’s booth at the show as a “review”, lol. Words are so devalued now.

I expect Hodinkee will probably do a Week on the Wrist review of this watch which should be quite good. The current editor loves 39mm watches (he daily wears a Pelagos 39) and did a Week on the Wrist of the original BB GMT.
Old 8 May 2024, 05:52 AM   #15
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
They seemed to supply one to this guy for week or so, who spent his whole discussion looking at the camera and showing the watch for 10 seconds on one of his straps lol. Still it offers some looks at it away from the W&W pavillion.

I saw someone on WUS describing Adrian Barker holding the watch for a minute at Tudor’s booth at the show as a “review”, lol. Words are so devalued now.

I expect Hodinkee will probably do a Week on the Wrist review of this watch which should be quite good. The current editor loves 39mm watches (he daily wears a Pelagos 39) and did a Week on the Wrist of the original BB GMT.
Good find with that video. Granted it’s rubbish. But interesting to see someone has actually had some hands on with one. As you say everything else I have seen has been a supervised W&W very brief look.
Old 8 May 2024, 06:39 AM   #16
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good find with that video. Granted it’s rubbish. But interesting to see someone has actually had some hands on with one. As you say everything else I have seen has been a supervised W&W very brief look.
Ah I forgot that last night I saw some German-speaking channel properly got ahold of one for a hands-on video. I haven't watched yet (but will now). I don't speak German but at least we'll get some proper looks at the thing.

(Side rant: Why have an English channel name for a German channel?)
Old 8 May 2024, 07:39 AM   #17
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(Side rant: Why have an English channel name for a German channel?)
Just to embarrass and shame people like myself who aren’t multilingual!

Learning a second language is on my bucket list. Just after buying SS Daytona at retail.

(So it will never happen lol)
Old 8 May 2024, 05:21 PM   #18
reposado
"TRF" Member

I’ve spoken to a few AD’s who have said the GMT should start appearing mid May to June so hopefully not long until we at least get some better hands on videos, if not physical watches to actually look at.

I hear what you guys are saying about a delay not being a bad thing for impulse control… this is definitely the Tudor I’ve been most excited about since the release of the original ‘58.

I was surprised to see so many people hating on the gilt, I personally am into it. Such a fun travel watch
Old 9 May 2024, 03:30 AM   #19
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

UptickWatchReviews just posted a real world review.
https://youtu.be/26EPBwJG4CQ?si=29REKrFTIfqwf11O
Looks like gilt on the bezel is much more saturated comparing to BB58. Initially I wasn't sure if I like it but I think it's growing on me. I still prefer the original Tudor Pepsi GMT though.
luk4s83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 09:34 AM   #20
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk4s83 View Post
UptickWatchReviews just posted a real world review.
https://youtu.be/26EPBwJG4CQ?si=29REKrFTIfqwf11O
Looks like gilt on the bezel is much more saturated comparing to BB58. Initially I wasn't sure if I like it but I think it's growing on me. I still prefer the original Tudor Pepsi GMT though.

Watching now.

How do these nobody YouTube guys all have their own review watches for this? Lol
Old 9 May 2024, 03:53 PM   #21
Subzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watching now.

How do these nobody YouTube guys all have their own review watches for this? Lol
Its cheap marketing for the watch brands to let YTers do the work for them.

With this guy Tudor might be using him for free marketing, or he may know an AD who has got one in.

Barker is one of the best / worst for it, he'll literally gush over any watch they pay* him to advertise and produce a video. Very cheap, and very easy, ,marketing when you let your fan boys do it for you. The YTers may think their awesome, in reality they are just the b***h for Tudor, IWC etc

*by pay its anything from cash to a free trip for a factory visit or launch.
Subzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:11 PM   #22
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
I think by the end of the year we will see them in shopping windows
Old 9 May 2024, 07:38 PM   #23
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzy View Post
Barker is one of the best / worst for it, he'll literally gush over any watch they pay* him to advertise and produce a video.
Old 10 May 2024, 04:42 AM   #24
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
I got the call today for my one and will be picking it up this weekend, all going well.
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 05:22 AM   #25
reposado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
I got the call today for my one and will be picking it up this weekend, all going well.
Awesome! Great news. It would be awesome to see an incoming thread with some pictures if you get chance. Is it the full bracelet or rubber strap you’re going for?
Old 10 May 2024, 07:22 AM   #26
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzy View Post
Barker is one of the best / worst for it, he'll literally gush over any watch they pay* him to advertise and produce a video. Very cheap, and very easy, ,marketing when you let your fan boys do it for you. The YTers may think their awesome, in reality they are just the b***h for Tudor, IWC etc

*by pay its anything from cash to a free trip for a factory visit or launch.
Quote:
One of my favourite Barker claims (paraphrased): "Omega is not a luxurious brand, but Tudor is because some models have a waiting list."

Not that such a stupid claim needs to be refuted, but there is no definition of "luxury" that Tudor and Rolex fit that wouldn't also include Omega.

And if you move into haute horlogerie, of the three it's only Omega that is linked to that world in the past (Omega invented the minute repeater wristwatch, for example) and the present (they have an haute horlogerie division that develops movements like an integrated chronograph and minute repeater).

Rolex probably promised him a bump up the waitlist for saying that though.
Old 10 May 2024, 07:44 AM   #27
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

This is how marketing works nowadays. And it's not only about watches, it's about everything. Just wait and see what happens once car dealerships disappear and you will forced to buy a car strictly based on Youtube reviews, without even a possibility of a test drive.
Speaking of marketing. IMO Omega makes better watches, and has a ton of heritage. But Rolex has far better marketing team, and always had, ever since the brand has been established. That's why Rolex is always one step ahead in the hierarchy.
luk4s83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 04:30 AM   #28
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
Did you pick it up today? If you haven’t yet would you mind asking your AD if it’s known when these should start arriving in greater numbers?

My AD had no idea when it might arrive when putting me on the list.

Really looking forward to seeing your impressions instead of those of YouTube grifters with strap shops, lol.
Old 11 May 2024, 04:51 AM   #29
reposado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you pick it up today? If you haven’t yet would you mind asking your AD if it’s known when these should start arriving in greater numbers?

My AD had no idea when it might arrive when putting me on the list.

Really looking forward to seeing your impressions instead of those of YouTube grifters with strap shops, lol.
+1 interested to hear your thoughts :)
Old 11 May 2024, 05:33 AM   #30
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Still not seen any on the secondary market

So I suspect they are unavailable at the moment