The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2023, 11:12 AM   #1
Ketler
"TRF" Member

The 16600...

Do you prefer it in Tritium or Super-LumiNova...???
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 12:32 PM   #2
racerx
"TRF" Member

I like lume, so SL for me.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 02:57 PM   #3
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
I could do either but the most important thing for me with either one would be the overall condition. I’m not buying anything that’s not in excellent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 10:15 PM   #4
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
In 2010 I bought two new Ser V. Then a Ser F and since 2019 I have a Ser M so Super Luminova

I wish I had a tritium too though... I admit it

today

Old 28 November 2023, 10:47 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketler View Post
Do you prefer it in Tritium or Super-LumiNova...???
My favourite watch the 16600SD my own had a hard life working underwater with well over 600 hours in mainly salt water.But lume was far down my list of importance,but Tritium has a half life of around 12 years so lume will be gone so would choose Luminover.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 11:03 PM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry62 View Post
In 2010 I bought two new Ser V. Then a Ser F and since 2019 I have a Ser M so Super Luminova

I wish I had a tritium too though... I admit it

today

How does this watch wear on the wrist compared to the Sub of the same generation? Is it top heavy?? It’s one of the only models I have yet to own and have always wondered if it was as comfortable on the wrist as the Sub.
Old 28 November 2023, 11:44 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
How does this watch wear on the wrist compared to the Sub of the same generation? Is it top heavy?? It’s one of the only models I have yet to own and have always wondered if it was as comfortable on the wrist as the Sub.
I’ll chime in if you don’t mind. The SD was my first Rolex back in 1992. It wore more top heavy as compared to the Submariner IMHO.

I just don’t know why Rolex can’t see their way to improving the caseback / case shape to better balance the watch (Ala the DSSD).
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 11:49 PM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ll chime in if you don’t mind. The SD was my first Rolex back in 1992. It wore more top heavy as compared to the Submariner IMHO.

I just don’t know why Rolex can’t see their way to improving the caseback / case shape to better balance the watch (Ala the DSSD).
I’ve owned the SD43 and DSSD and suspected it might be top-heavy given the lighter bracelet and clasp.
Old 29 November 2023, 12:33 AM   #9
Ketler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Sub, I suppose due to it's thinner profile, is a bit more comfortable...

But I think we are splittimng hairs here as the 16600 is a very comfortable watch...at least for me...

I wore a 16600 as an everyday watch for years and years...A fantastic piece indeed...!!!
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 02:27 AM   #10
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
I’ve owned the SD43 and DSSD and suspected it might be top-heavy given the lighter bracelet and clasp.
It is slightly top heavy but really only noticeable if it's loose enough to move around.
rmagoo57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 03:51 AM   #11
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The thickness certainly determines the comfort IHMO
Deepsea

16600 is the most balanced for me
Old 29 November 2023, 04:46 AM   #12
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Same experience with having a SD back in 04-05. Loved the presence but had to wear it tight to avoid it flopping on the wrist.

Wore it in rotation with my M serial GMT Pepsi for over 10 years. I guess I was avoiding the 16610 because it was “ubiquitous” but the reality is I don’t see many Rolex in the wild. A datejust is more common with a few subs rarely seen.
Flash forward, and I have my 3rd 16610 and I highly recommend it. Also would suggest the luminova with the later AR crystal. Perfect light weight everyday watch with everything you need. Feels less flashy than my ceramic stuff by a mile but still brings a smile when I check the time. Maybe the perfect watch is the 16610LV in the end of the production range with AR and the larger lume plots. Even if you swapped it to a black insert to help fly under the radar the later 16610 is about perfect on the wrist.
Old 29 November 2023, 05:27 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkspwrsche View Post
Same experience with having a SD back in 04-05. Loved the presence but had to wear it tight to avoid it flopping on the wrist.

Wore it in rotation with my M serial GMT Pepsi for over 10 years. I guess I was avoiding the 16610 because it was “ubiquitous” but the reality is I don’t see many Rolex in the wild. A datejust is more common with a few subs rarely seen.
Flash forward, and I have my 3rd 16610 and I highly recommend it. Also would suggest the luminova with the later AR crystal. Perfect light weight everyday watch with everything you need. Feels less flashy than my ceramic stuff by a mile but still brings a smile when I check the time. Maybe the perfect watch is the 16610LV in the end of the production range with AR and the larger lume plots. Even if you swapped it to a black insert to help fly under the radar the later 16610 is about perfect on the wrist.

Thank you for this … and yes, I definitely miss my 5 digit Submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 06:46 AM   #14
Gomers
"TRF" Member

I’ve had my 16600 for a little over 3 years. It was my dream Rolex back when I was a teenager. I still have the ‘93 catalogue that when I first got it, saw the SD and thought..”yep, that’s the one”.

But as ever with this maddening hobby, the path to 16600 enlightenment was fraught with many, many…..many other contenders; a perfectly fantastic 2-line 14060M that I wished I’d kept, a lovely Tudor 79190 with modern appointments but a hint of vintage charm; there have been many others.

I find myself today with an SD which I love, serviced 3 yrs ago by the mothership and a full set. I still marvel at how Rolex increased the pressure resistance by a multiple of 4 over the Sub yet managed to do so while keeping it broadly the same size. Yes it can be feel a tad head-heavy but essentially remains very comfortable to wear.

To the OP’s original point, SL all the way for me. Tritium only allowed on a printed dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:57 PM   #15
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

I had 2 Ser Vs, 1 Ser F and for five years I have one Ser M, ok, but I would really like a nice tritium

Old 11 May 2024, 07:29 AM   #16
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I miss my 16600.

I’m going super Luminova. I like some patina, but more so on matte dials.