The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 May 2024, 09:15 AM   #121
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
This is a nice one, Adam! Congratulations! I'll have to look into this model and the features it has as it seems fascinating.
Thanks Rommel. I was glad to see the tide pretty much where the watch said it should be this morning! This is an old photo from my place but you an see the tide range is quite big. At high tide it almost hits the beach's tree line in the middle of this pic.

It's quite easy to set up; just set to your home time and it does the rest of the moon and tide setting. You can also flip through the hours and days to see the future tide pattern, which is handy for me if I'm taking the dogs out and want to avoid walking them at low tide when there's dead fish and stuff on the beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nn.jpg (130.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Old Expat Beast; 22 May 2024 at 03:14 PM..
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 09:22 AM   #122
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch-Geek View Post
Ive always wanted the square with the same module but never actually got one!
Yours is a sweet combo of vintage case and modern module

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Thanks, I was thinking about the square, too, but something about this one kept me coming back to it on eBay. It's a similar colour and shape to the one I backpacked round the world with in the '80s, so that swung it for me I guess.

My only issue is the dial looks a little dark in the white frame, and the flashing tide indicator can be hard to see unless outdoors or in a bright room. I was hoping you had done a tutorial on your channel for the 3215 but no such luck :)
Old 22 May 2024, 10:42 AM   #123
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
GShocks are the only less expensive watch I own.
A few years ago I bought a few of the various LEs and still have them all new in the box.
A little over a year ago I decided to replace the cheap digital watch I just kept strapped to my travel backpack as a backup with a G as we were going to Mexico and I wanted something I could wear when we were out of the resort so I bought a red G (my kid loves red) and as soon as I got it I ordered the same model in black as well (the red one is now attached to my travel backpack)
A few months later I discovered the MRGB5000 and thought it was crazy! A GShock that cost $3500??? Well I had to have one and got one soon after.
The GShocks and my Omega X-33 are my only battery watches.
Anyway I have to say I love the thing! The MRGB5000 is light, comfortable and no one looks twice at it!

Very nice. The G-Shock tins also make good travel cases for more expensive watches. Good protection outside, foam padding inside, and unlikely to attract thieves. Sadly only one of mine came in a tin as they're mostly direct from Japan, where they use cardboard (or something) boxes.
Old 22 May 2024, 01:03 PM   #124
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Thanks Rommel. I was glad to see the tide pretty much where then watch said it should be this morning! This is an old photo from my place but you an see the tide range is quite big. At high tide it almost hits the beach's tree line in the middle of this pic.

It's quite easy to set up; just set to your home time and it does the rest of the moon and tide setting. You can also flip through the hours and days to see the future tide pattern, which is handy for me if I'm taking the dogs out and want to avoid walking them at low tide when there's dead fish and stuff on the beach.
That's a lovely beach! I'm glad to hear Casio made it this simple but not at all surprised. You made a great choice with this one. Now I'm wondering what you'll end up getting next.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 07:21 PM   #125
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
That's a lovely beach! I'm glad to hear Casio made it this simple but not at all surprised. You made a great choice with this one. Now I'm wondering what you'll end up getting next.
Thanks, so is my wife

There's a quick but useful demo of the GWX-5700CS (with black case) by Greg Anderson here: https://youtu.be/zYbthyCk5vI?si=eDUGXXBnn8qwvgQ0
Old 23 May 2024, 03:03 AM   #126
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Appreciate the link to that video! I really like this model and might even consider one. If I end up getting it this will be two G-Shock's purchased because of this thread.

This one seems like a really good travel watch for me. In the video he did seem to mention the stopwatch resetting itself after 1-hour. If true, this might be an issue for tracking Jet Ski rental time when on vacation.
Old 23 May 2024, 08:09 AM   #127
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Appreciate the link to that video! I really like this model and might even consider one. If I end up getting it this will be two G-Shock's purchased because of this thread.

This one seems like a really good travel watch for me. In the video he did seem to mention the stopwatch resetting itself after 1-hour. If true, this might be an issue for tracking Jet Ski rental time when on vacation.
Yeah, the stopwatch only does single hours for some reason, but the countdown timer has mutliple consecutive settings that I haven't figured out yet. There a full manual for the 3215 module here: https://support.casio.com/storage/en...009/qw3215.pdf
Old 23 May 2024, 08:55 AM   #128
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for providing that, I'll have to have a look later and try make a decision. Either way I like the watch and prior to your post had never seen them before. So you have a shot with the backlight on? Not sure if I missed one slmewhe.
Old 23 May 2024, 09:38 AM   #129
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Thanks for providing that, I'll have to have a look later and try make a decision. Either way I like the watch and prior to your post had never seen them before. So you have a shot with the backlight on? Not sure if I missed one slmewhe.
Here's a backlight shot from this review: https://casiofanmag.com/reviews/g-sh...x-5700-review/

It can be set for 1.5 or 3 seconde duration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g-shock-gwx-5700-review-16.jpg (22.8 KB, 20 views)