The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 July 2009, 01:35 AM   #121
shandy
Banned

Debates like this always tickle me, all the talk about man sized having to be bigger, what watch to where with what cloths as it may be deemed incorrect to wear one thing with another.

Luckily some of us do not subscribe to the corperate success ladder mentality or old fashioned values that judge a person on what they wear as to be an indicator as to who they are!

I grew up in a highly conservative, big C and little c family where such things were debated frequently as a way to gaining success, I was told from a young age that my appearence and attire would be one of the deciding fatcors in how succesfull I would be in the world.

I bought into that for years, had an ulcer, got depression and basically led my life for others approval and where did it get me, deeper into that mire!

Funny thing is now I do not give a $h*% about what people think of me! I am happy knowing I am an OK sort of person who does no harm to people.

My watch wearing habits changed along with that and now I wear dress watches with jeans if I feel inclined and sports watches with smarter wear. If I like wearing it then that is all that matters! What anyone else percives me to be based on what I am wearing at the time will be a sure way to get me walking away very quickly from them as as a rule I know they have little or no ability to think anywhere near outside the box and thus will be very generic and usually very boring people!

James mate, where what you like with what ever you want to wear it with and have fun in doing so, life is way too short to care a flying F$%K what anyone thinks of you when you do. Real people base their opinions of you By your actions and good deeds not what you wear!

There, that is my rant of the day! Now, I think I will put on my nice leather strapped 34mm gold vintage Omega and walk outside in on this beautiful day with my shorts and Tatty old Tshirt!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 01:44 AM   #122
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Debates like this always tickle me, all the talk about man sized having to be bigger, what watch to where with what cloths as it may be deemed incorrect to wear one thing with another.

Luckily some of us do not subscribe to the corperate success ladder mentality or old fashioned values that judge a person on what they wear as to be an indicator as to who they are!

I grew up in a highly conservative, big C and little c family where such things were debated frequently as a way to gaining success, I was told from a young age that my appearence and attire would be one of the deciding fatcors in how succesfull I would be in the world.

I bought into that for years, had an ulcer, got depression and basically led my life for others approval and where did it get me, deeper into that mire!

Funny thing is now I do not give a $h*% about what people think of me! I am happy knowing I am an OK sort of person who does no harm to people.

My watch wearing habits changed along with that and now I wear dress watches with jeans if I feel inclined and sports watches with smarter wear. If I like wearing it then that is all that matters! What anyone else percives me to be based on what I am wearing at the time will be a sure way to get me walking away very quickly from them as as a rule I know they have little or no ability to think anywhere near outside the box and thus will be very generic and usually very boring people!

James mate, where what you like with what ever you want to wear it with and have fun in doing so, life is way too short to care a flying F$%K what anyone thinks of you when you do. Real people base their opinions of you By your actions and good deeds not what you wear!

There, that is my rant of the day! Now, I think I will put on my nice leather strapped 34mm gold vintage Omega and walk outside in on this beautiful day with my shorts and Tatty old Tshirt!
who cares about the clothes or how someone looks.... i work on wall street.... i wear shorts, flip flops, and a t shirt to work everyday during the summer.... now back to the topic of the new mens 41mm datejust... i cant wait to get one!!!!!! there has to be a reason that rolex decided to come out with a ladies 36mm datejust... just maybe... they think that 36mm is too small for a mens watch....
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 02:23 AM   #123
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Will have to see the new sized DJ in the 'flesh' to know how it looks - the bezel/dial/bracelet proportions can be tough to get right. Plus how does it fit on a (your) wrist.

I think that among the 'major' brands Rolex has been the most resistant to joining in the BIG watch trend (fad?). Not all of these size trends last, and for me, one attraction of Rolex has been that it stands apart from the 'bigger is better' crowd.
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 09:20 AM   #124
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Hey James,
I gotta contact you... send me a PM... I want to know if you can contact me with your AD and get 15% off as well.
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 09:24 AM   #125
niner niner seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV
is the DJ2 out yet? what about the Sub-C TT?
niner niner seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 11:50 AM   #126
rockclimber

I really like it, but would not wear it with a suit due to that bezel. It reminds me more of a sport watch to be honest. They should have saved the large bezels for sport watches imho. But the real test will be how it looks on my wrist; 36mm has always been too small for my wrist, but I do see the need to continue producing them for many men on this earth. Not all of us are 250lb Americans.
rockclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 11:53 AM   #127
DAVIDSW
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: 1655 EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by niner niner seven View Post
is the DJ2 out yet? what about the Sub-C TT?
I believe it is. I am picking up a Sub C TT tomorrow and will see if it is available.
DAVIDSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 11:57 AM   #128
roach13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
41mm is in the right direction for sure...... the 36mm is just too small for a man... im looking forward to seeing the 41mm in person...
So right
roach13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 12:25 PM   #129
kkchome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
It's a lovely watch, but not really my cup of tea. I prefer a sports watch to be 39-40mm or 42mm at the maximum, if the case is thin (like a speedmaster professional). For dressier watches I prefer smaller sizes. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I prefer the proportions of the older 36mm DJ.
JLC Master Control Hometime (Q1628420)
kkchome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 12:57 PM   #130
Aeternitas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 15200
I like the looks of the DJII, but would never consider it a dress watch. I personally think the normal DJ is just barely a dress watch. I really don't know what I'd consider the DJII, as I don't think I'd call it a sports watch either.

And on another note, since he's been brought up a few times in the topic, let's laugh at this guy and his tiny, feminine watch.

Aeternitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 01:50 PM   #131
Finley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post
Back toward the topic, what do you think about my view that it is a good blend of sports and classic dress elegance (as the 36mm was always renowned for)?
I think the larger size definitely says "more sporty" than the 36mm...looks like a good blend to me!
Old 22 July 2009, 03:20 PM   #132
The Beginner

Quote:
Guys, now that a couple of months have passed since Basel, I would be interested to hear your (respected and valued ) opinions on the updated DateJust 41mm.

As I am sure that any of you who have read my posts on here are more than aware, I am indeed a fan and have put myself down for one when they reach AD's around September time (dont let this influence your posts, please)

In my opinon (and I am relatively new, so read into this however you wish) I feel that the larger, redesigned 41mm DJ is the perfect (well, 'perfect' is a strong word) blend of use in a casual (sport) and formal (dress) environment - especially with the black stick dial and oyster as per the image above...

Okay, so not so literally in terms of features and functionality (i.e. chrono, bezel, gmt hand etc) but you get what I am trying to say - it is a good sports/dress blend IMO. The Daytona looks great both sports and dress, but would you wear a chrono with a dinner suit in particular? Equally, the milgauss - the second hand ruins this for wear with a dinner suit IMO, and there is no date window for everyday or 'sports' functionality (e.g. Subs, GMT's etc)

I dont intend this to be a 'what looks best with a Tux' thread, or a comparison between Daytona's/Millies/other models (after all, it is personal taste) so please come forward with your views on the DJII and its cross-environment suitability!

CHEEEEERS guys
Very nice watch..i do really like that kind of watch..the size of hte face is perfect 41mm
The Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2009, 05:51 PM   #133
stanislav

36 mm is OK for me, growth accelaration (all chemicals, hormons in the food) has not gone so fast everywhere.
By the way, the more I try and look new rolexes the more I like my Exp, new DJ looks a bit blocky and too shiny, the bezel is more prominent and I seem to like more subtle ones. I am planning to get one but have doubts. Maybe I am a one-watch guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382a.jpg (169.6 KB, 245 views)
stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 03:23 AM   #134
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I have only seen and tried on the DayDate II, but I like the size and fit of it.

Personally, if I ever get a Datejust II, it won't be until they offer it on jubilee. I think the options are too limited at the moment relative to the wealth of options available with the regular Datejust.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2009, 01:57 AM   #135
BTSinAustin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I don't think that any 41mm watch is going to slip into the "dress" category very easily.... So, I would say the New DJ II is not a cross over, but a casual, business, to semi dress watch..

For those of you who like to wear pie-tins strapped on your wrists when you "dress up" for an evening out at the Taco Bell, then perhaps...

But for the rest of us who actually do know the difference between white tie, black tie and business attire.........it's a no-brainer...

Whoosh...

I fear that is the sound heard round the world as your statement flew over the heads of many.
BTSinAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2009, 02:01 AM   #136
BTSinAustin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLinLA View Post
Will have to see the new sized DJ in the 'flesh' to know how it looks - the bezel/dial/bracelet proportions can be tough to get right. Plus how does it fit on a (your) wrist.

I think that among the 'major' brands Rolex has been the most resistant to joining in the BIG watch trend (fad?). Not all of these size trends last, and for me, one attraction of Rolex has been that it stands apart from the 'bigger is better' crowd.

Exactly, it would be hard to put a 20k watch in the same drawer with the bell bottoms, thin ties and parachute pants.

If the DJ is anything like the DDII it will make me throw up in my mouth. I actually laughed out loud when I tried on the DDII. It looked like a clown costume accessory.
BTSinAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2009, 03:27 AM   #137
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
too big for "dress"

36 mm is still the more appropriate business/dress style, for my taste. Unless you've got eyesight problems, I don't see a reason to get bigger.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 12:31 AM   #138
c2tcardin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 312 & DJ II
Quote:
Guys, now that a couple of months have passed since Basel, I would be interested to hear your (respected and valued ) opinions on the updated DateJust 41mm.

As I am sure that any of you who have read my posts on here are more than aware, I am indeed a fan and have put myself down for one when they reach AD's around September time (dont let this influence your posts, please)

In my opinon (and I am relatively new, so read into this however you wish) I feel that the larger, redesigned 41mm DJ is the perfect (well, 'perfect' is a strong word) blend of use in a casual (sport) and formal (dress) environment - especially with the black stick dial and oyster as per the image above...

Okay, so not so literally in terms of features and functionality (i.e. chrono, bezel, gmt hand etc) but you get what I am trying to say - it is a good sports/dress blend IMO. The Daytona looks great both sports and dress, but would you wear a chrono with a dinner suit in particular? Equally, the milgauss - the second hand ruins this for wear with a dinner suit IMO, and there is no date window for everyday or 'sports' functionality (e.g. Subs, GMT's etc)

I dont intend this to be a 'what looks best with a Tux' thread, or a comparison between Daytona's/Millies/other models (after all, it is personal taste) so please come forward with your views on the DJII and its cross-environment suitability!

CHEEEEERS guys
James, any updates? Also does anyone know the lume color on the new DJ II? I've checked both of my local AD's and they didn't have any in yet though one said he had a few come through already but I'm thinking he might have meant a DD II as they both had the new DD II.
c2tcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2009, 04:03 PM   #139
lwildcatz

James,

That is the best looking DJ2 I have seen. It just needs the Jubilee.
lwildcatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2009, 11:02 PM   #140
WatchSnob

Have the DJ & DJ II.
I love them both but unless you are large guy with large wrists the DJ II is not a true dress watch... If you wear European shirts the cuffs can be a bit too tight for the DJ II (again this is for smaller wrists)

I would say the DJ II best fills the role of a daily wear watch for someone who is not a suit or button down and tie guy.

That is just my two cents based on experience being smaller (6.8 in wrist and wearing quite a bit of European designers when it comes to my suit)
WatchSnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 12:16 AM   #141
meznpez

Looks like half the forum wants it (the other half hates it) but nobody buys it. It's been up for sale here in the forum (blue with roman) for 4 days now.
meznpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 12:56 AM   #142
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I do not like the new DJ2.
A dresswatch that is bigger then an EX2 or SUB etc.wich are furthermore toolwatches???
Horrible development imho!
Maybe i am oldschool....

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 05:50 AM   #143
Cymro1
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

My first post on this forum so please excuse any ignorance. Am just about to buy my first ever Rolex and am torn between a Sub and a DateJust - however the latter does look a little small on my wrist and I was excited to learn about the new 2009 DJII.

Does anybody know if this has been released in the UK yet (in particular the steel and white gold style shown in the first picture in this thread)?

Thanks
Cymro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 10:21 AM   #144
j1crimmins
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, IWC
I only wish they had gone with the brushed bracelet. Not a big fan of the brushed/polished as a casual bracelet
j1crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 10:28 AM   #145
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Get it - wear it - enjoy it
Old 5 October 2009, 10:28 AM   #146
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Too big for a dress watch. This is a fine sport model, but SS and 40mm+ is not a dress watch.

Nice watch, though.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 11:00 AM   #147
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
I LOVE it and will be buying one as soon as possible!!
Rolesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 11:53 AM   #148
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
I don't like the DJ II. I saw nothing wrong with the size of the DJ! Perhaps it'll grow on me; I don't know. The proportions seem all "fun house mirror."
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 12:32 PM   #149
Zgar

I disagree I think the Date Just II was needed, I am 6'0" tall and would never were the tiny 36mm DJ it's just too small. looks like a kids watch or woman watch. It's been a long time coming and I think Rolex finally realized that they need to make a bigger dress watch. look at Panerai Nice biggger and dressy. big watches are in style now and Rolex knows it
Zgar is offline   Reply With Quote