The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 November 2006, 02:18 AM   #1
----

Icon8 Panic!

I have posted before about working on a watch my late nother owned, and that I plan to give to my niece for Xmas for her to remember her grandmother. I am pretty spotty when it comes to finding time to work on these projects, but I made great progress on this movement over the weekend, and thought I would try to carry on last night.

As a reminder of what this thing looks like, it's an ETA 2360 movement, and is quite small when laid on top of a modern ETA 2836:

Working on something this small has been a challenge, but it has honed my skills for handling parts quite a bit. I have done well so far in terms of not losing anything.....until last night that is! I have the movement assembled with the exception of the balance jewels and the balance assembly itself. Once I have those installed, I will know if my work has paid off with a functioning movement.

I was looking at the balance jewel last night, which is a 2-piece affair. The main jewel is in a brass setting, and then there is a "cap" jewel that is part of the assembly. I had the assembly in my tweezers, and was looking at it to make sure it was perfectly clean before I oiled it and put it in the movement. I then heard the dreaded "tink!" sound of the tweezers coming together, and I felt something hit me in the face.

The assembly was gone! Panic set in, and I enlisted the help of my wife (and of course the dog was interested too!) to help find this part. About 15 minutes later, we found it and I thought all was well - I was mistaken. The cap jewel had come off the assembly, and although I found the base setting the cap was still missing. Back on the floor, with about 5 different lamps plugged in plus a trouble light, and the big search was on.

Now this ladies movement is not readily available on the net, unlike some other old watches I've worked on where the entire movement is available as surplus parts from various parts suppliers. This is an old obsolete ladies movement, so not something there is a lot of lying around. If I lose this thing, I am in big trouble!

About 45 minutes later, I noticed a small pink thing on the floor about 6 feet away from where I was working.......yep, that was it! The setting piece had landed 2 feet in front of me, and the cap 6 feet behind me! I decided to pack it in for the night and let myself calm down before I get into it again.......maybe later this week.

Here is a picture of the piece that I spent the time looking for under the pencil I put there for scale......it's maybe 2mm in diameter, pale pink in colour, and very hard to find on the carpet!

When I do start working on this again, I am going to use some Rodico to help keep the parts under control. Here is another cap jewel (this time in a chaton sort of, so much bigger to handle) that I had to lubricate and then set into the movement plate - there were 5 of these in total, and using the Rodico helped me handle them without smearing the oil I had just placed on them.

All these little tricks come with experience and time at the bech. Hopefully some day I will master some of the basic techniques - until then I will keep the trouble light handy!

Cheers!

Last edited by ----; 9 March 2007 at 12:31 AM..
Old 22 November 2006, 02:25 AM   #2
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Holy cow Al.... hats off to you in being brave in working on such small and delicate parts. Loosing parts on the floor is hard enough, and hopefully you didn't loose it on carpet. That will be a b#tch to find.

I already started to panick when I lost a small screw for my watch.

Do you have a watch maker's bench or something?
Old 22 November 2006, 02:32 AM   #3
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Hard to find on the carpet! I can hardly find it on my 21 inch monitor.

I wish I was capable of projects like that but I have a hard enough time getting all the sugar in my coffee and not on the counter.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 02:42 AM   #4
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
Hard to find on the carpet! I can hardly find it on my 21 inch monitor.

I wish I was capable of projects like that but I have a hard enough time getting all the sugar in my coffee and not on the counter.
LOL! Mike - I was probably shaking that bad while I was hunting for this part!
Old 22 November 2006, 02:47 AM   #5
Atomic

Al, hats off, my friend. That's awesome work and I can't believe you found that tiny piece... it's got to be a little bigger than JJ's brain, right?

Once together, I'm sure it'll work and it'll be a lovely gift your neice will treasure for years. Good on ya!
Old 22 November 2006, 02:51 AM   #6
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Holy cow Al.... hats off to you in being brave in working on such small and delicate parts. Loosing parts on the floor is hard enough, and hopefully you didn't loose it on carpet. That will be a b#tch to find.

I already started to panick when I lost a small screw for my watch.

Do you have a watch maker's bench or something?
Thanks Vernon - brave or crazy.......I'll tell you which it is once I'm done with this thing!

I don't have a proper bench, and that makes things more difficult no doubt. I use a serving tray, like you would serve someone breakfast in bed on, placed on top of the kitchen table. This brings the work surface up high enough that I don't have to contort my body too much to see what's going on through the loupes. Here's what it looks like with me working at it a while back:

Normally a watchmaker's bench is much higher than a normal work bench, but I have to make do with what I have for now and this set-up is close.

One of these days I may either buy or make myself a proper watchmaker's bench.....

Last edited by ----; 9 March 2007 at 12:31 AM..
Old 22 November 2006, 02:53 AM   #7
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Thanks Vernon - brave or crazy.......I'll tell you which it is once I'm done with this thing!

I don't have a proper bench, and that makes things more difficult no doubt. I use a serving tray, like you would serve someone breakfast in bed on, placed on top of the kitchen table. This brings the work surface up high enough that I don't have to contort my body too much to see what's going on through the loupes. Here's what it looks like with me working at it a while back:

Normally a watchmaker's bench is much higher than a normal work bench, but I have to make do with what I have for now and this set-up is close.

One of these days I may either buy or make myself a proper watchmaker's bench.....

If you ask Craig nicely, I'm sure he's give you one of his mini-chairs.
Old 22 November 2006, 02:55 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
If you ask Craig nicely, I'm sure he's give you one of his mini-chairs.

Great work, Al!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 02:57 AM   #9
C.J.
"TRF" Member

That's going to make one hell of a gift, pal Congrats on the time, effort and patience it takes to get it done
Old 22 November 2006, 03:09 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Al, hats off, my friend. That's awesome work and I can't believe you found that tiny piece... it's got to be a little bigger than JJ's brain, right?
Now come John don't exaggerate nothing could possibly be that small.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 03:11 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Keep that up, Padi, and you just might displace your boss (Ed)!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 22 November 2006, 03:18 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Good luck in the project Al.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 November 2006, 03:31 AM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Keep that up, Padi, and you just might displace your boss (Ed)!!
That's only because he got on and saw this thread before I did. When I saw Johnny's post, that was the first thing I thought of.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 03:32 AM   #14
Calogero1
"TRF" Member

Al..very impressive

I'm sure it will run like a charm.

I'm with Hutchman though...my hands are not meant for that.

Just changing straps put on enough scratches on my lugs. Love the fact you took on that challenge!!

Lets see it upon completion!!!

Carlo
Calogero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 03:33 AM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
That's only because he got on and saw this thread before I did. When I saw Johnny's post, that was the first thing I thought of.
Great minds Ed... great minds.
Old 22 November 2006, 04:19 AM   #16
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Al,
I'm impressed that A.) you can do watch work and B.) you could find that jewel in the carpet. My eyes are getting to the point where I can' t really read the font on the dials anymore--even with glasses!
Big dates and big dials are a must these days.
Langnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 04:33 AM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Al,
I'm impressed that A.) you can do watch work and B.) you could find that jewel in the carpet. My eyes are getting to the point where I can' t really read the font on the dials anymore--even with glasses!
Big dates and big dials are a must these days.
Marc, do I smell a Panerai in your future?
Old 22 November 2006, 04:49 AM   #18
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Marc, do I smell a Panerai in your future?
Pannies are starting to make sense to me now. Seriously, the GO was bought partly to stop the eyestrain. At least that's what I told the Missus.
Langnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 04:55 AM   #19
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Pannies are starting to make sense to me now. Seriously, the GO was bought partly to stop the eyestrain. At least that's what I told the Missus.
There's method to my madness.

As I'm well into the bad side of 40, even with lasik I know my days until I need reading glasses are numbered. A big watch with a simple, easily legible dial makes sense. So does manual wind as we become less active (hint, hint, Ed).
Old 22 November 2006, 05:10 AM   #20
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Great post Al.
I have trouble finding me keys & wallet in the morning.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 05:25 AM   #21
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:

What would make our JJ a genius? Double the number of his braincells: 2
Old 22 November 2006, 10:26 AM   #22
amanda
Banned

Wow thats awesome Avalon - I am guessing Vacuum Cleaner is Avalon's worst enemy!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 01:41 PM   #23
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Wow thats awesome Avalon - I am guessing Vacuum Cleaner is Avalon's worst enemy!
I don't know about enemies but if I ever get invited over to Al's place I'm sure not taking my shoes off! Did you see the knife next to his right foot on the floor?

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2006, 04:40 PM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post

Old 22 November 2006, 07:11 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
What would make our JJ a genius? Double the number of his braincells: 2
But Frans double zero still equals zero.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 November 2006, 03:57 AM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
But Frans double zero still equals zero.
That's it!! That's it!! New CEO coming up soon....very soon!!

Old 23 November 2006, 04:19 AM   #27
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
That's it!! That's it!! New CEO coming up soon....very soon!!
Peter HAS been nailing you on a continual basis, hasn't he JJ!

However, that big Bart moon oughta get me pretty far up the ladder as well.
Old 23 November 2006, 04:43 AM   #28
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Peter HAS been nailing you on a continual basis, hasn't he JJ!

However, that big Bart moon oughta get me pretty far up the ladder as well.
Yeah but without the brilliant set ups, he'd be nowhere. LOL
Old 23 November 2006, 05:23 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Yeah but without the brilliant set ups, he'd be nowhere. LOL
Now that was funny, tosser!!