The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 March 2010, 02:16 AM   #1
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Explorer II thoughts and pic request... please!

Greetings my friends,
I have been out of the Rolex world for a while now but just when I think I'm out... THEY KEEP PULLING ME BACK IN!

With all the kerrfuffle about the non-existant "Orange Hand Explorer II" it has made me have a serious look at the current Expy with a renewed interest.
Second timezone, low profile, perfect size (for me) and new 3186 movement (I'm looking at an M serial) all adds up to the perfect watch for a one Rolex guy like myself. I am not going to wait until 2011 for the new version as I don't think the maxi-dial suits this watch and you never know they may even give it the dreaded... SUPERCASE!

Explorer II Owners please post wrist shots and give me what you think the positives and negatives of owning one for you are...
It's good to be posting on TRF again!

Many Thanks,
Ren

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
Old 23 March 2010, 02:20 AM   #2
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I don't have one but I thinks it is a great watch!
Old 23 March 2010, 02:21 AM   #3
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
EX 2 is great, love the EX2 and SUB the most.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 23 March 2010, 02:24 AM   #4
nilsoncheng
"TRF" Member

http://fr.tinypic.com/player.php?v=w9i2p1&s=5
Old 23 March 2010, 02:27 AM   #5
DRAWTOOL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
Here is mine, Ren, all I can say is this is the Bestestist Rolex in the World!
And you call that a nightmare, ya tosser?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You just made it into the Tosser Hall of Fame, ya bastid tosser!!
Inducted 3/25/10
Old 23 March 2010, 02:28 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

GO FOR IT!!

My understanding is that the M series is a mix of 3185 and 3186 movements. There are some tests discussed in other threads to tell which one is which, or you can have the AD open 'er up.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:34 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Ren,

Nice to have you back and posting. What's not to like about this stunning watch?

At just 125 grams, it's one of the lightest sports models out there and extremely comfortable to wear on the wrist. Try and get the V-series to ensure you have the new 3186 movement. That's what I did!!

Some pics for you........

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 23 March 2010, 02:36 AM   #8
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
My first Rolex and will remain when all the others have gone! Still in love with it for the uniqueness of the white face, the 2nd time zone and the black numbers on the bezel.

Old 23 March 2010, 02:37 AM   #9
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Hi Ren,

Nice to have you back and posting. What's not to like about this stunning watch?

At just 125 grams, it's one of the lightest sports models out there and extremely comfortable to wear on the wrist. Try and get the V-series to ensure you have the new 3186 movement. That's what I did!!

As always JJ, I LOVE to gaze on your Exp II shots!! I did forget to mention how cool the "touch of red" on the face is too!
Old 23 March 2010, 02:40 AM   #10
belk7
"TRF" Member

Ditto on the above. I think this is a fantastic watch and have no regrets about purchasing my V serial with the 3186 movement. It seems that the transition between 3185 and 3186 happened sometime during prodution of the M's, so you will want to be sure you are getting what you think you are. Some believe that the Rehaut inscrition ("Rolex - Rolex - Rolex") is a good indicator that the Exp-II contains a 3186. Other posts on this forums and other web sites document a couple of other tests you can perform without removing the back. I have pasted an explanation of them below.

The Wiggle Test
One method for discerning a 3185 with the 3186 movement is by the "Wiggle Test". Rolex moved the wheels in the gear train closer together in order to keep the hand movement to a minimum when setting the watch. On 3185 movements, all the hands rock when setting the hour hand, whereas on the 3186, the hands do not rock when turning the both the hour or minute hand. When a 3185 and 3186 movment are side-by-side, it is a discernable difference. If you are at and Authorized Dealer not sure whether there is a 3186 movement inside a traditional GMT case, try to find a 116710 (GMT-C) at an AD and perform a side-by-side comparison. Some have reported mixed results with this test; it does seem to take a trained hand to discern the difference.

The Crown Method
Another method for discerning a 3185 with the 3186 movement is through the the Crown Rotation Method. This method is another way to discern the type of movement without having to remove the caseback. Because the calendar and hour-hand setting mechanism was redesigned in the 3186 movement, the number of turns of the crown to turn the 12 hour hand is different on a 3186 than it is on a 3185.

To perform this test, unscrew the crown such that the crown is in the hand setting position. With the crown face-up, count how many hours the hour-hand travels with one full revolution of the winding crown.

■3185: one complete crown revolution makes the hour hand jumps 6 timezones/hours
■3186: one complete crown revolution equals 8-9 timezones/hours

Note that the 3185 has proven to be an extraordinary movement in its own right, so if you are getting a great price, I wouldn't necessary walk away just because it doesn't have the newer movement. That's your call. I can tell you that my 3186 Exp-II is the most accurate watch I own. It runs less than one second per day fast over a 5 day average. Anyway, here's a recent photo..

Go Vols Exp-II.jpg
Old 23 March 2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by belk7 View Post
The Crown Method
Another method for discerning a 3185 with the 3186 movement is through the the Crown Rotation Method. This method is another way to discern the type of movement without having to remove the caseback. Because the calendar and hour-hand setting mechanism was redesigned in the 3186 movement, the number of turns of the crown to turn the 12 hour hand is different on a 3186 than it is on a 3185.

To perform this test, unscrew the crown such that the crown is in the hand setting position. With the crown face-up, count how many hours the hour-hand travels with one full revolution of the winding crown.

■3185: one complete crown revolution makes the hour hand jumps 6 timezones/hours
■3186: one complete crown revolution equals 8-9 timezones/hours

just to repeat from another thread, a salesperson at the rolex store here in paris (not an AD; direct Rolex store) said that the crown test was bogus and that there should be no difference between the two in this respect. this is the same person who said that one should never trust forums, so, you know, take his comment with a grain of salt....LOL.....

i tried the test and my M series watch made 8 revolutions. i don't have an older 3185 to compare it against, so i decided to have the horlogist open it up to confirm and certify which movement it is. if it comes back a 3186, then either the crown test is valid or it's just a pleasant coincidence. if it's a 3185, i'll be sure to post a follow up.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:59 AM   #12
Cru Jones

Quote:
Hi Ren,

JJ,

i have to get a real camera to show this watch!!! my tiny point and shoot just doesn't do it justice. you really succeeded in showing the watch in its finest colors. beautiful.

thanks.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:59 AM   #13
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
I love my Exp II. I have the earlier movement but to be honest i couldn't give a monkey's Uncle as it's an excellent movement which has stood the test of time.
Pics ain't geat though.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 23 March 2010, 03:05 AM   #14
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopsey View Post
I love my Exp II. I have the earlier movement but to be honest i couldn't give a monkey's Uncle as it's an excellent movement which has stood the test of time.

you're 100% right.....for some people, like me, acquiring this piece new today at full price (less discount not attributable to type of movement), it is an issue. but, i could also see why even someone buying it today wouldn't care, and they'd be equally correct. both are great.
Old 23 March 2010, 03:12 AM   #15
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I love the Explorer II's !!!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
Old 23 March 2010, 03:23 AM   #16
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
just to repeat from another thread, a salesperson at the rolex store here in paris (not an AD; direct Rolex store) said that the crown test was bogus and that there should be no difference between the two in this respect. this is the same person who said that one should never trust forums, so, you know, take his comment with a grain of salt....LOL.....

i tried the test and my M series watch made 8 revolutions. i don't have an older 3185 to compare it against, so i decided to have the horlogist open it up to confirm and certify which movement it is. if it comes back a 3186, then either the crown test is valid or it's just a pleasant coincidence. if it's a 3185, i'll be sure to post a follow up.

just to follow up, i just got off the phone with the store and they confirmed the 3186 movement. so, it looks like the crown test lives to see another day!! and, despite the salesperson's statements to the contrary, the advice on this forum is not "bogus"! well done. thanks.

Old 23 March 2010, 03:44 AM   #17
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt View Post
Greetings my friends,
I have been out of the Rolex world for a while now but just when I think I'm out... THEY KEEP PULLING ME BACK IN!

With all the kerrfuffle about the non-existant "Orange Hand Explorer II" it has made me have a serious look at the current Expy with a renewed interest.
Second timezone, low profile, perfect size (for me) and new 3186 movement (I'm looking at an M serial) all adds up to the perfect watch for a one Rolex guy like myself. I am not going to wait until 2011 for the new version as I don't think the maxi-dial suits this watch and you never know they may even give it the dreaded... SUPERCASE!

Explorer II Owners please post wrist shots and give me what you think the positives and negatives of owning one for you are...
It's good to be posting on TRF again!

Many Thanks,
Ren
The ExII is my 40 mm favourite (or rather 39 mm if you measure the bezel with a caliper). I've always considered the white 16550/16570 to be the best current Ex II, but a year ago I got a black in a trade, so now I am enjoying them both. I find the white to look better in general, but the black looks really nice on my wrist. What do you think?

Best,

A
Old 23 March 2010, 03:45 AM   #18
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Wrist shot

Here's mine :

N-serial N434353
Tritium still glows, except second and 24h hand.
New bezel
78360 bracelet, 501B endlinks

Accurate, 10 seconds a month fast.

Old 23 March 2010, 03:50 AM   #19
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Some more pics:

In the jungle... eh ... garden:

In the mountains:

Skiing:

Driving (I find that my AWD Volvo is very suitable for the Explorer):

Best,

A
Old 23 March 2010, 03:57 AM   #20
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Even more...

In the office (colour depending upon mood):

At home:

And perhaps the most common situation... exploring the National Geographic channel...

The Explorer II is ready for ANYTHING!

Best,

A
Old 23 March 2010, 04:17 AM   #21
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I have decided that the Explorer II is my next Rolex purchase. Unfortunately this thread has confused me even more than I already was before opening up this thread. My problem is I cannot decide if I want the Polar dial or the black dial. I really like both. At one point I will see a photo of the Explorer II with a black dial and convince myself that is indeed the one I want. Then I will see an incredible photo of an Explorer II with a polar dial and I second guess myself and think I like that dial better. I wish I could buy both but at this point buying one is the only option. Any input?
Old 23 March 2010, 04:25 AM   #22
blackmsport
Banned

ExpII is a very under-rated Rolex .... I love it
Old 23 March 2010, 04:27 AM   #23
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
face color

I really like the white face Exp II. If I was going to have only one sport model, I would go with black. Since I've got a Sub ND and a black face, TT TOG, I'd pick the white Exp II.
Old 23 March 2010, 04:28 AM   #24
AWS
"TRF" Member

I love my Exp II polar....probably the most versatile watch I own.
Old 23 March 2010, 04:30 AM   #25
watchaddict3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Explorer 2 Polar White

I love mine
F series
Keeps great time (1 sec per day)
I am not sure the 3186 is necessary if you can get an older one at a better priice.

Old 23 March 2010, 04:45 AM   #26
jmsrolls
Banned

Two years ago I was looking for a classic watch to fill the GMT niche in my collection. I finally settled on the black EXPII but only after I learned how to remove the Cyclops as I did not want a watch that shouted ROLEX.

Recently, I have been looking around for a replacement and have decided that there is nothing out there I like any better than this one:

Fr. John†
Old 23 March 2010, 05:05 AM   #27
jrpb
"TRF" Member

Watch: White Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I have decided that the Explorer II is my next Rolex purchase. Unfortunately this thread has confused me even more than I already was before opening up this thread. My problem is I cannot decide if I want the Polar dial or the black dial. I really like both. At one point I will see a photo of the Explorer II with a black dial and convince myself that is indeed the one I want. Then I will see an incredible photo of an Explorer II with a polar dial and I second guess myself and think I like that dial better. I wish I could buy both but at this point buying one is the only option. Any input?
hi mate i had the same dilema and settled for a white face, my reasoning to myself was the black face sport watch is made by sooooo many companies but the white is a bit more exclusive and i have recently found out on another Exp II thread that you can have the dial swapped for a black one for about $400 in case you get bored
Old 23 March 2010, 05:11 AM   #28
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpb View Post
hi mate i had the same dilema and settled for a white face, my reasoning to myself was the black face sport watch is made by sooooo many companies but the white is a bit more exclusive and i have recently found out on another Exp II thread that you can have the dial swapped for a black one for about $400 in case you get bored
Yeah thanks for the input. Its a tough dilemma to be in! I like the fact that you can swap out the dial. That might make my decision easier.
Old 23 March 2010, 05:25 AM   #29
ayres
"TRF" Member

Watch: whatever runs
there have recently been some fantastic, low prices from respectable sellers. go with one that is a wee bit older, and save for another rolex and/or servicing!

is the 3186 an improvement?... yes, but only in the 24-hour hand complication. but is that improvement worth $800/$1k more?... no.

Last edited by ayres; 23 March 2010 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: further clarification
Old 23 March 2010, 07:50 AM   #30
Jolu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I/II
I went black by coincidence - I wanted a Y-series with lugholes, and the black happened to be the first I found. If I could justify buying the exact same watch in white also, I would...

The crystal is a dirt and fingerprint magnet, but no more than other sapphire watches (perhaps a little less visible with the white dial). Scratches on the brushed bezel is not easy to polish out. I can live with that.

Here's a few wristshots:

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone -
Closed Thread