The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2005, 02:24 PM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Do you really hate "frankenwatches"?

The way I see it is that if its a Rolex using other Rolex parts of the same era, it really doesnt matter. For example putting the WG daytona dials on SS daytonas look great.

I will however frown upon those that may attempt to make their watch look like something it is not, eg if someone were to buy a SD dial and crystal and put it on a sub I would not think it would look so good.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2005, 02:37 PM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Hey Roger, the watch I wear the most is a frankenwatch!! I love it and would spend the money to make it this way all over again!!

dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
You show off Daren!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I think it's a personal choice..........whatever floats your boat. Personally I go for originality.
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 12:31 AM   #5
mbogo

'Hate' is too strong a word for it. I see Rolexes that I feel would be 'perfect' if just one feature were different (e.g., Roman numerals instead of batons).

I would not buy a 'frankenwatch', and I would not modify a watch I bought new, but a pre-owned might be modified to my 'specifications', like a different dial, hands, or bracelet (I'd keep the original parts, in case I want to restore or re-sell).

George
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 08:27 AM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

I agree George, the original clasp for the YM is safe and sound in the drawer ready to go back on for service time.
Old 22 June 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
mbogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I agree George, the original clasp for the YM is safe and sound in the drawer ready to go back on for service time.
Yes, that is a bit of a downside to owning Rolexes. They must be 100% Rolex when they hit the service center.

BTW, did you obtain the Daytona clasp via European or U.S. sources?

George
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 10:59 AM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Europe, I heard you have to a made man in some secret club to get OEM parts in the USA.
Old 8 November 2005, 04:12 AM   #9
mikerlx
Banned

Franken Rolex Watch

Deleted as per mikerlx's request. Refer here.
mikerlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2005, 04:15 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I always stick to originality, thank you!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2005, 04:17 AM   #11
Atomic

I think Rolex should be more like a parts bin, i.e., if you want an OEM meteorite dial on a SS Daytona, you should be able to do it. Similarly with dials spec'ed for certain versions of certain models.

I see nothing wrong with swapping dials, bracelets, etc., because you want to wear a watch that makes you happy. If you can procure said piece and have it installed on your Rolex, more power to you. But I would hold on to the original parts and swap them out when you send in to a AD for service, or if you're selling it.

While I said that Hannes' SS Daytona with a meteorite dial is technically a frankenwatch, I see nothing wrong with it. As long as the parts are OEM and no one is being decieved.
Old 8 November 2005, 04:59 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
I always stick to originality, thank you!!
You are welcome and that is probably because you don't have the watch long enough to change anything on it.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
Old 8 November 2005, 06:30 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I think Rolex should be more like a parts bin, i.e., if you want an OEM meteorite dial on a SS Daytona, you should be able to do it. Similarly with dials spec'ed for certain versions of certain models.

I see nothing wrong with swapping dials, bracelets, etc., because you want to wear a watch that makes you happy. If you can procure said piece and have it installed on your Rolex, more power to you. But I would hold on to the original parts and swap them out when you send in to a AD for service, or if you're selling it.

While I said that Hannes' SS Daytona with a meteorite dial is technically a frankenwatch, I see nothing wrong with it. As long as the parts are OEM and no one is being decieved.
Yes John 100% agree with you on all points,in the UK they are not quite as picky with these things as they in the US.But hey
we are talking about Rolex America think they are god .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2005, 08:27 PM   #14
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I agree with Johnny. I think you should be able to swap anything out with Rolex. My father bought a SS DJ with a white dial in 86 and a few years later he put on a gold fluted bezel, gold crown, black dial with gold hands and stick markers. I think it's beautiful. Is it a frankenwatch? All parts are OEM Rolex. Get this. Rolex even gave him back the parts they took off. They would never do that now. He still has them and the watch which he wears every day.
Old 8 November 2005, 10:08 PM   #15
----

I agree. If you want to swap a dial or something, why the hell not! It is your watch after all, isn't it????

I would love a watch with a meteorite dial............
Old 9 November 2005, 07:39 AM   #16
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Yes John 100% agree with you on all points,in the UK they are not quite as picky with these things as they in the US.But hey
we are talking about Rolex America think they are god .
Rolex America is not God?? Someone had better tell them that because they certainly think so. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 09:51 AM   #17
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
I really like the white gold (strap version) white dial with the arabics or the meteorite dial. I would have no problems modding my SS daytona (if I had one) with one of those dials if I could source/afford one :D
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote