The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 May 2012, 12:51 PM   #1651
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
Congrats Chris! Your new job couldn't have been given to a nicer guy! Best of luck In all your future endeavors!
Old 19 May 2012, 01:06 PM   #1652
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Congrats on your new beginnings!
Old 20 May 2012, 09:14 PM   #1653
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
can't believe:55 pages of an impressive 3d and now that i've asked an insider the insider isn't here anymore

Chris hope you answer here and to pm
Old 21 May 2012, 03:43 AM   #1654
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Evening all,

Apologies for my tardiness, been a busy boy! Anyway, I had my final day at the shop today - I'm a free man, at least until the start of next month I'll be answering all outstanding questions and any more that are posted this evening in about an hour - after that, I'll be winding down this thread for good. Last chance folks

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 04:00 AM   #1655
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I had my final day at the shop today
So, this is now the "Ask an Outsider Thread"?

Old 21 May 2012, 04:14 AM   #1656
KZZN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cellini 5115
Hi,

Thanks for the chance to ask one last question :) It's Cellini-related: in your time there, how did the sales of Cellini watches compare to Oyster models ? And of the Cellini sales, which Cellini model was the most popular ?

And once again, thanks so much for giving us this opportunity - it's very much appreciated by everyone here, I'm sure.
Old 21 May 2012, 04:35 AM   #1657
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivonen View Post
hi chris,thank you very much for your infos :)

i would like to ask you to explain with more details that procedure,because before reading this post i was sure it was impossible returning the watch or replacing the cards

thank you!
Hi V,

I'll be replying to your PM very soon as well As a general rule, most retailers offer a 28 day returns policy here in the UK, with the proviso that the item has been unused. Usually when we have to replace a card, it's in the case of it being an unwanted gift - if it was the wrong model or wrong dial, for example. In which case, we will be happy to take back the item - we always make sure the guarantee card has been filled, so in such cases, we have to get a new card from Rolex before we can sell the item again

The filled in card is returned to Rolex, destroyed, and a new one is issued. This process can be quite lengthy, which isn't ideal for retailers, but I personally think it's best to give our customers an option. I'm not entirely sure what the legal standpoint is for returning unused items (I know returns have to be accepted if the goods are faulty, either for repair, replacement or a refund), but I believe there would be a lot of unhappy customers if they couldn't return something they haven't used, but changed their mind over

I hope this explains things!

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 04:36 AM   #1658
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leica View Post
Does the new ceramic sub comes with the nifty anchor?
Hi Rich,

Rolex haven't given out anchors for quite a few years. They stopped very shortly after I started

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 04:42 AM   #1659
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMehta87 View Post
Chris, love this thread. Hoping to have a relatively simple question answered that I'm sure someone has probably already asked you.

I keep hearing the the green sub is rare and hard to find, but with a little bit of prodding, every AD seems to have one "in the back." Same with the Milgauss GV and SS Daytonas. Why are ADs reluctant to put them in the showcase? Do you in fact get much less of those models vs. the standard black sub/gmt etc. or is this something that Rolex wants you to do to artificially increase the demand?

Thanks for all your insight and best of luck in the new position!
Hey,

I personally can't see the logic of keeping very saleable items hidden away in the back. I think it's a bit of an underhand tactic, not very fair for the average customer! Perhaps it's a tactic to try and artificially raise demand locally, maybe it's a way to make their regular customers feel special, I just don't think it's necessary. One person's money is as good as the next's, in my opinion.

With regards to the supply, certainly when it comes to the Sub LV, we do receive fewer of them. Maybe one LV to every four or five LNs - it's not limited production, but it is lower. With the GV, we sell more of those than the standard Milgausses, and the demand has dropped to the point where it really should be in the window rather than gathering dust in the safe. As for Daytonas, we get a very steady supply, it's just the massive demand that keeps them out of the window. Saying that, the demand, again, has been dropping. In my experience, it's been easier to sell a Sub Date than a Daytona in recent months, and it looks like the Sub is the better bet when it comes to holding value, at least in the short term. As for Rolex, I don't think they'd particularly like the idea of us hoarding their most popular models

Hope this answers your question,

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 04:43 AM   #1660
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
Chris

Best of luck on your new venture. I am sure you will do well. Thanks for all you have done and keep us TRFers posted.

MrBill

It's been my pleasure, thankyou

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 04:56 AM   #1661
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchstuff View Post
Hi Chris,

Have read your posts from the start of this thread and it's been a great read Thanks for all your insight.

Just a question about the current Submariner Date, I've enquired at my local AD about ordering and putting a deposit down for one before I got my GMT, but they stated a deposit would still not guarantee me the watch?

Would you be able to enlighten us on the allocation process for popular models like the SD? What advice can you give to a customer who would either like to see a watch that you don't have in stock eg like the SD or if I'd made up my mind and wished to place an order for the SD to be able to get one asap?

Thanks for any insight into the buying process.
Cheers.
Dan
Hi Dan,

The problem with the Sub Date is twofold: firstly, it is a massively popular watch (we rarely keep hold of one for more than a couple of weeks), and secondly, it's issued on an allocation basis.

With the steel sports models, it's not a case of phoning up Rolex and saying "we'd like x number of Subs this month," they decide at Rolex UK who will be getting what for the month. They will make a number of watches available, the details of which are sent to the AD. The AD will then select which models they would like off the list, and a short while later, the watches will be delivered.

As such, an AD will not know exactly what they can get until they get their allocation list from Rolex for the month. Sometimes you'll get offered one Sub Date, another month you'll get a couple, other months you might not get one at all. That makes it difficult to give an exact ETA for steel sports watches that aren't in stock. Furthermore, if you're taking a deposit for a watch, you're agreeing to sell it at a certain price - Rolex don't give very much notice when it comes to price rises, so taking a deposit on a watch where you don't know when it'll can potentially leave an AD in a difficult position. Where I work(ed), it's done more simply on a first come first served basis - if a customer is interested in a sports model, then they will be granted first refusal (assuming they are the first to have asked) when it arrives, with no obligation to buy, and no money exchanging hands until a watch is confirmed to be en route.

If I have a customer wanting to see a watch we don't have in stock, I will at least try to show them the closest equivalent model. Today I had someone in after a steel Sub Date, having sold the last one in stock yesterday. Therefore, I showed him the TT Sub Date (to give an idea of fit and feel on the wrist) and the SS GMT (to show how a steel supercased sports watch looks like on the wrist, as well as offer a potential alternative). Not ideal, but at least it gives a slightly better idea of what it would be like. The best thing to have when it comes to the most popular models is patience - one will come along, just keep pestering your AD until you get one on your wrist

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 04:59 AM   #1662
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Chris, have very much appreciated the info, and as one said, reading the thread is like reading a book. Thank you!

A question about PCL's in general, specifically the to the GMT IIc. Has your shop ever buffed out Polished Center Links for customers, and if so, how has it turned out? Love the GMT IIc, but really dislike PCL's? Any experience with this?

Thanks once again and best of luck in the new endeavor!!
Hi Daniel,

We don't have the equipment or trained personnel to carry out a modification like brushing a bracelet at the moment. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Rolex would frown upon this too - they don't like ADs making non-standard modifications to their watches. Some folks prefer the brushed look, I tend to be fairly persuasive and effusive when it comes to PCLs however Having my own watch with PCLs that's a few years old is a handy demonstration tool to show how they wear with time

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 05:00 AM   #1663
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Keep me updated on this. It's one of the few reasons I am holding out on purchasing the GMTIIC as it stands now.
Hi Evan,

If we're to hear anything, it won't be until Spring 2013 now

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 05:00 AM   #1664
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liptonnr View Post
Congrats Chris! Your new job couldn't have been given to a nicer guy! Best of luck In all your future endeavors!
Thankyou for your kind words, it's exciting to be setting off into uncharted territory

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 05:01 AM   #1665
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Congrats on your new beginnings!
Thankyou!
Old 21 May 2012, 05:01 AM   #1666
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
So, this is now the "Ask an Outsider Thread"?

Pretty much
Old 21 May 2012, 05:04 AM   #1667
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZZN View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the chance to ask one last question :) It's Cellini-related: in your time there, how did the sales of Cellini watches compare to Oyster models ? And of the Cellini sales, which Cellini model was the most popular ?

And once again, thanks so much for giving us this opportunity - it's very much appreciated by everyone here, I'm sure.
Cellini sales make up a very small proportion of our total sales. There doesn't tend to be much demand for traditional dress watches at the moment. However, they always go eventually - I personally think the Cellini line is rather charming and underrated. We tend to stock the Classic model in either YG or WG, but in my time, we've sold a Cellinium, a Prince and a Danoas (a particularly handsome model in white and rose gold).

At Rolex's request, we're going to be expanding our stock of Cellinis, I think this will help them along a bit more

Hope this answers your question

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 05:09 AM   #1668
KZZN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cellini 5115
Quote:
Cellini sales make up a very small proportion of our total sales. There doesn't tend to be much demand for traditional dress watches at the moment. However, they always go eventually - I personally think the Cellini line is rather charming and underrated. We tend to stock the Classic model in either YG or WG, but in my time, we've sold a Cellinium, a Prince and a Danoas (a particularly handsome model in white and rose gold).

At Rolex's request, we're going to be expanding our stock of Cellinis, I think this will help them along a bit more

Hope this answers your question

Chris
Hi,

Thanks for that - and good luck with whatever you're doing in the future !
Old 21 May 2012, 05:10 AM   #1669
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZZN View Post
Hi,

Thanks for that - and good luck with whatever you're doing in the future !
No problem, and thankyou

Chris
Old 21 May 2012, 05:15 AM   #1670
watchstuff
"TRF" Member

Thanks Chris for all your insight, that's great advice.

Good luck in your new job!
Old 21 May 2012, 06:35 AM   #1671
gazp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Ceramic Sub
Thanks for all your time and effort on this thread Chris , the best thread on TRF IMHO

Good luck in your next job mate , you will be a huge asset to any business that you work for
Old 21 May 2012, 07:20 AM   #1672
Sam Philip
Banned

Hi Chris,

Enjoyed reading your thread. Thanks for all the posts and good luck for your new job
Old 21 May 2012, 01:56 PM   #1673
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Hi Chris, This has been a great thread. I'm not one who usually joins in choruses of 'congrats,' 'thanks,' etc. as many often do, but in this case I'll make an exception. Thank you, and best of luck as you go forward!
Old 21 May 2012, 02:12 PM   #1674
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Thanks for a super thread. Best wishes for continued success in your new job.
Old 21 May 2012, 10:59 PM   #1675
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Best wishes Chris!
Old 21 May 2012, 11:33 PM   #1676
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Gonna miss your sage words and great insider thoughts on here Chris. Good luck with your next venture!
Old 22 May 2012, 12:06 AM   #1677
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
Hi V,

I'll be replying to your PM very soon as well As a general rule, most retailers offer a 28 day returns policy here in the UK, with the proviso that the item has been unused. Usually when we have to replace a card, it's in the case of it being an unwanted gift - if it was the wrong model or wrong dial, for example. In which case, we will be happy to take back the item - we always make sure the guarantee card has been filled, so in such cases, we have to get a new card from Rolex before we can sell the item again

The filled in card is returned to Rolex, destroyed, and a new one is issued. This process can be quite lengthy, which isn't ideal for retailers, but I personally think it's best to give our customers an option. I'm not entirely sure what the legal standpoint is for returning unused items (I know returns have to be accepted if the goods are faulty, either for repair, replacement or a refund), but I believe there would be a lot of unhappy customers if they couldn't return something they haven't used, but changed their mind over

I hope this explains things!

Chris
Thank you very much Chris!!!!!
i'll wait for the pm
Old 22 May 2012, 12:33 AM   #1678
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Hi Chris,

Just want you to know that I highly appreciate this thread and your willingness to answer so many questions from us....

I'm just wondering, as an AD, have you had any experiences receiving a "malfunctioned" or "damaged" watch from Rolex? If yes, what would be the procedure to be taken by an AD to rectify the problem to Rolex?

Once again, thanks in advance for your precious information...
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
Old 23 May 2012, 05:37 AM   #1679
Rydal
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris, I know it varies but could you give me a typical price for a replacement face on a datejust? Not looking for anything fancy with diamonds and the like, just something fairly plain. At the moment I have the blue face with stick markers and fancy a change. Many thanks.
Old 23 May 2012, 05:39 AM   #1680
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Chris, this was agreat idea and an even better thread.....

Good luck to you
Closed Thread