The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2013, 04:03 PM   #121
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
As possibly the newest member of the Daytona family, i am still in the honeymoon period, My black face TT is a bit blingy but is a gorgeous watch, all my other watches are low key, so having one shiny one is fine by me. Like the other comments i started with my Tudor Chrono, but while I liked the size I felt it was always my alternate to a Daytona, even if that makes me a sucker for branding. I can understand how people see the watch as being under sized as the eye takes you to the face and ignores the outer case which is still quite large. I have a GP 38mm Chrono and in some ways looks bigger as it has no Bezel, the face goes to the edge of the case. I think the 4 lines of writing under the Rolex name does it not friends either in making it crowded, obviously none of these points slowed my desire to add this to my collection.

I am loving the Daytona and don't expect to ever sell it, a lot of discussion here about its long term exclusivity and holding its value, it really means little to me as I plan to hold this one a long time, as I do with most of my watches as my collection starts to take its final form.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2013, 08:46 PM   #122
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Oh yes they have and thank goodness!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 12:10 AM   #123
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Have mine for a few weeks....it's part of my regular rotation now.

Our local ad had a white faced/black faced ss in the safe, no two-tone. At least that's what I was told, since it was a gift.

I've always loved the Daytona, now I'm lucky enuf to wear one on my wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.0 KB, 523 views)

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 12:27 AM   #124
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
1963 -2013 Rolex nailed it on a steller watch! Long live the Daytona!
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 12:41 AM   #125
JD521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Tired this one a few days ago...will need to do some extra arm exercises if I ever plan to own this. Great pic and congrats on this one.
JD521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 01:26 AM   #126
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD521 View Post
Tired this one a few days ago...will need to do some extra arm exercises if I ever plan to own this. Great pic and congrats on this one.
Thanks!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 27 December 2013, 06:51 AM   #127
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post
I have called AD's in three states, NY, CT and PA and none are available in SS. At least that's their story...

They are ALL lying and Do Not want your money

Daytona's are so "over" that I haven't been on here in months and page 1 has the same old "Daytona's dead, overhyped, available at walmart thread" :)

BTW - you CANT get a new BNIB from a trusted seller on here for under $10k.

Merry Christmas
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 06:59 AM   #128
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...hlight=daytona $12900
http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...hlight=daytona $9100 no box or papers “scratched crystal” Go for it!
http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...hlight=daytona $9700 no pictures… do you take cash?

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...hlight=daytona $9750 + shipping, for a used one

Point being… as much as you want to believe they are “in every AD”, you also want to believe that people on here are giving ‘em away.

Just not the case even if you type it every day.
Sorry if this stirs the sh*t but it's been the same thing for years...

NO dealer in the world in this economy is going to keep a $12000 watch in the safe when a "legit" customer is there with cash / credit in hand to buy one.

Now...can they make some calls if you are serious and not "taking a poll" sure but I 100% promise they are not turning away $12,000 for a watch that is "readily available" .
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 09:35 AM   #129
dasams
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II & Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC13 View Post
NO dealer in the world in this economy is going to keep a $12000 watch in the safe when a "legit" customer is there with cash / credit in hand to buy one.
I was at my local AD today and ready to buy a SS Daytona. Sales person said they have one in the back but not on display as they do not want to sell to tourists. She went to get it but came back and asked if I've purchased from them in the past. Since my answer was no, she said they will not sell to me.

I'm a local resident, 55 yrs old, well dressed and wearing my GMT-II which has been my daily for over 20 yrs (E serial). AD is Shreve & Co in SF and I'll never step foot in their store again.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 05:48 PM   #130
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I think it's more hype than anything else, it's a great watch no doubt, but not so special and not so hard to find.

I see them regularly at AD's, although most of the time they are kept in the back, I assume to further fuel the hype.

I want to want one, but I've walked in willing to buy at least three times and bought something else, always AP, a 15300 and Diver I later flipped and my current 15400.
Old 28 December 2013, 06:06 PM   #131
ndsleep612
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ex.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
I was at my local AD today and ready to buy a SS Daytona. Sales person said they have one in the back but not on display as they do not want to sell to tourists. She went to get it but came back and asked if I've purchased from them in the past. Since my answer was no, she said they will not sell to me.

I'm a local resident, 55 yrs old, well dressed and wearing my GMT-II which has been my daily for over 20 yrs (E serial). AD is Shreve & Co in SF and I'll never step foot in their store again.
If you thought Shreve was bad, Tourneau is on the top of the list in epic failures of ADs.
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 06:18 PM   #132
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Beautiful pics guys.
The Daytona is a stunning watch, and will remain so in spite of any marketing myth / legend or supposed decline
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 07:50 PM   #133
bparone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, DJII, Smstr
The rose gold Daytona with chocolate (and I think I saw it with some light blue too) one of the best looking watches I've ever seen. It's not a watch that's even on my radar at all BUT, that one in particular blows me away.
bparone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 07:53 PM   #134
bparone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, DJII, Smstr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD521 View Post
That one is also very very impressive.
bparone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 10:38 PM   #135
affalterbach
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SUN065P1
Years ago a Daytona cost between $5k to $7k. Today MSRP is just over $12K so it's really a stretch for most people. Other than that not much has changed. It's still the chronograph by which all others are measured...
affalterbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 11:51 PM   #136
doubleroll
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsleep612 View Post
If you thought Shreve was bad, Tourneau is on the top of the list in epic failures of ADs.

I agree, was told by Tourneau sales that unless you purchase over 100K in watches from us don't even bother asking for an SS Daytona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29 December 2013, 12:39 AM   #137
JD521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post
I agree, was told by Tourneau sales that unless you purchase over 100K in watches from us don't even bother asking for an SS Daytona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was in a Tourneau a day ago. Husband and wife walk in and he asked to see the GMT BLNR and was told that unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock as those models currently are pre-ordered with a deposit and are sold as soon as they come in. He then asked to see an SS Daytona...they pulled one from the back with no hesitation or conversation about 'not having them'. They only had white dials available and the guy wanted a black dial. But otherwise, he could bought one on the spot. I can't confirm but based on the interaction, I didn't get a sense he was a "VIP" client or was on any wait list.

On top of that, my AD mentioned that during certain times of the year (i.e. Holidays), the 'waiting list' somewhat goes out the door and if someone is willing to purchase it on the spot, they do.

Flip side is that another AD a few blocks away still maintains that they have a waiting list.

Sorry for the long winded post. Guess my point is that it really all varies from dealer to dealer, time of year, availability, etc...advice is to just give it a shot!
JD521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 01:42 AM   #138
normandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post

Hi Ken, would you write a mini review of this stunning piece?
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 01:46 AM   #139
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

I like the movement. I was set on getting one, but after trying it on, it seems too small and hard to read (plus no date). I will wait and get one one day once they make the next changes.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 02:36 AM   #140
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:

Shreve is terrible. I bought a 16610LV there back in 2005 but I've been extremely disappointed with their customer service since then.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 05:23 AM   #141
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Great watch, vastly over-priced.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 08:54 AM   #142
HYPOLUXXA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I had countless experiences like yours, I finally bought my SS Daytona for over 12K from a seller on eBay. I would never give an AD my $$$. My next Rolex will be bought from a trusted seller here.
HYPOLUXXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 09:45 AM   #143
dasams
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II & Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxxa View Post
my next rolex will be bought from a trusted seller here.
+1
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 01:13 PM   #144
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy View Post
Hi Ken, would you write a mini review of this stunning piece?
All I will say is that the glacier blue and chestnut brown go so amazingly well together! It really sets the watch apart and gives it presence like no other watch I have owned. The weight and feel of the platinum on the wrist is outstanding as well as amazingly comfortable. I think one needs to both see this watch in person and try it on and preferably see dial in sun to fully appreciate it! I am very happy with it and fell in love with it the minute I saw it released at Basel. For me it truly does not get any better.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 29 December 2013, 01:20 PM   #145
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
I wouldn't buy a timex from Tourneau, just saying.

Been to a few of them and my 12 y/o who wears a g-shock knows more than any salesman I've encountered.

Rude, uninformed, and creepy....

ymmv

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 02:31 PM   #146
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The modern day Daytona has never been on my list and to be honest cannot see why all the fuss was over the SS version. Perhaps it was just the fact of owing and wearing a watch that was at one time hard to get at retail.But if willing to pay the crazy money some were asking then quite easy to find.Its a great movement but just do not like the style,now a 6263 Daytona dial and its simple black bezel insert then perhaps I could grow to like the modern Daytona.
I gotta say I agree with Padi. While I have not a single bad word to say about the modern Daytona, I do feel as though there are just so many better designed chronographs out there on the market. I'd rather own a Navitimer, Speedmaster, IWC Pilot Chronograph to start. It's a great instrument but where as the stainless steel bezel works on the Explorer II, I feel as though the Daytona really should indulge in a ceramic bezel on the stainless models.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 04:04 PM   #147
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
I think after my Exp. 2 arrives that my next watch after that one needs to be a Daytona!

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 07:14 AM   #148
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I gotta say I agree with Padi. While I have not a single bad word to say about the modern Daytona, I do feel as though there are just so many better designed chronographs out there on the market. I'd rather own a Navitimer, Speedmaster, IWC Pilot Chronograph to start. It's a great instrument but where as the stainless steel bezel works on the Explorer II, I feel as though the Daytona really should indulge in a ceramic bezel on the stainless models.

I think that the SS Daytona is an awesome watch and is a great part of a collection. I'm not positive it is the best choice as a single watch (but then again how many of have just one?). It looks great, is a nice size (I know many think it is too small), but the bracelet and bezel do scratch pretty easily and there isn't a date complication.

If I were forced to choose between my chronos, I'd probably go Navi 01 LE then Daytona then IWC Portuguese then GO Senator Navigator. And I have a Zenith El Primero and Omega Speedmaster in my sights which could possibly both rank ahead of my Daytona. I'd just have to see.

But I don't know if all of the negativity is due to Rolex, the ADs or both. I've been at ADs and heard about the waiting lists and that they were also based on the "relationship" they had with the customer. But really, I have no interest buying other watches just so I can move up some hypothetical and non verifiable list just so I can pay MSRP or more for a new Daytona. I just bought mine used.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 09:06 AM   #149
AsianPersuasion
"TRF" Member

Still a great classic. No matter where you go if you see someone wearing one, you look twice and measure the man wearing it. Knowing that the person wearing it has good taste.
AsianPersuasion is offline   Reply With Quote