The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 March 2013, 12:40 PM   #1
T. Mo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Old ones
Deciding on a band for a 1550

I've been half heartedly "collecting" vintage watches for several years, but never really set out to buy a specific watch or type, I've just always appreciated the craftsmanship. Last year I got more serious, looking for specific watches, and then recently I decided it was time to step up and spend some real money on the hobby. After some careful consideration, I decided a vintage rolex would be the best place to start. I knew I wanted an automatic with date.

Eventually, I found a 1971'ish vintage 1550 in very nice condition, but without it's original bracelet. I tend to prefer a leather band anyways, and since it was missing the bracelet, it came in well under budget. It arrived today, and I'm very pleased.

But now I'm conflicted about what color and type of leather band to go with. I'm thinking about black alligator, light brown ostrich or black calf-skin. I'd love some thoughts and suggestions! I'll have a few weeks to decide, as it's leaving for service tomorrow.

T. Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2013, 08:13 PM   #2
mcotter
"TRF" Member

strap type?

That watch deserves either the reptile or the Ostrich. Color should match your shoes. Whichever you wear more should dictate black,brown or tan. in any event source a Rolex buckle for it & you're all set...Regards, mcotter

The tan ostrich is elegant yet a bit more casual!
mcotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2013, 03:52 AM   #3
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

My vote is for tobacco-brown crocodile (pattern, can be croco-calf).
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2013, 06:34 AM   #4
riceman
"TRF" Member

I'm actually wearing the same watch right now (with a standard silver dial on a 78351B bracelet obtained a while back from Rolex-Dallas) but it looks really sharp on a mid to dark brown Louisiana alligator strap - even sharper if you can source the appropriate Rolex tang buckle.
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

You can wear whatever band you like, but you should have a correct Oyster Gold Plated Riveted band just in case. You can pick up a nice one (all original with little wear to the gold plating) for under $700.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 03:51 AM   #6
T. Mo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Old ones
Thanks for the recommendations guys! So far, I've ordered a tan ostrich, a black croc and a smooth navy calf skin (to match some shoes) along with a couple of rolex buckles for the bands. I think a choco-croco would be a good idea too...

I'm looking forward to wearing this one once it gets back from service.

I'll keep an eye out for a riveted bracelet, and in the mean time, any more thoughts on straps is appreciated!
T. Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
intru52
"TRF" Member

Hi, I have this same watch and will appreciate if you can tell me where I can source the genuine Rolex buckle for a leather strap. I have a ref 1550 with dark brown leather strap.

Thank you!
intru52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 07:56 AM   #8
jmv831
"TRF" Member

I have the same watch. Can I ask where you got the leather band? Thanks
jmv831 is offline   Reply With Quote