The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2006, 07:43 AM   #1
C.J.
"TRF" Member

What do you think?

I've always wanted a ND Sub. For certain reasons I ended up buying the GMT recently. I still want the Sub, though. IMHO it is the classic Rolex. I have been looking at used 14060M's recently. I want to buy used partly for the lower price, but mainly to wear it as a daily beater and save my GMT the nicks and scratches it will get wearing it to work.

Every year the Antique show comes to Atlantic City. It is one of the largest antique shows in the country. There are several reputable vendors selling vintage Rolex. I have thought about getting a 5513, as well as, a used 14060M. They seem to be priced about the same.

If you would, give me your thoughts on this. A used 14060M or a 5513. You guys have never steered me wrong in the past. I'm sure you'll get me to the right place with this one. Thanks
Old 24 February 2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
I've always wanted a ND Sub. For certain reasons I ended up buying the GMT recently. I still want the Sub, though. IMHO it is the classic Rolex. I have been looking at used 14060M's recently. I want to buy used partly for the lower price, but mainly to wear it as a daily beater and save my GMT the nicks and scratches it will get wearing it to work.

Every year the Antique show comes to Atlantic City. It is one of the largest antique shows in the country. There are several reputable vendors selling vintage Rolex. I have thought about getting a 5513, as well as, a used 14060M. They seem to be priced about the same.

If you would, give me your thoughts on this. A used 14060M or a 5513. You guys have never steered me wrong in the past. I'm sure you'll get me to the right place with this one. Thanks

Tough one bro. I'm inclined to the 5513 myself but would have it completely overhauled by Rolex and that'll cost a bundle. The 14060 would perhaps need lees work on it, if at all. But whatever you do: buy a NATO strap for it!
Old 24 February 2006, 08:16 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Tough one bro. I'm inclined to the 5513 myself but would have it completely overhauled by Rolex and that'll cost a bundle. The 14060 would perhaps need lees work on it, if at all. But whatever you do: buy a NATO strap for it!
Definately the NATO What do you think the overhaul would cost?
Old 24 February 2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Craig, with a new Rolex to the collection, isn't your Ctpn gonna strart thinking your on the take??
I feel the same here at my office. The other watches worn by staff include a timex, a seiko & occasionally a Bulova.
I like my collection, but somedays I feel like i'm not wearing the "other ones" enough.
I do like the Sub No Date .

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definately the NATO What do you think the overhaul would cost?
We're looking at:

New crystal,
Full polish,
Cleaning and re-adjusting the movement,
New o-rings, new tube for stem, perhaps new crown,
Possible re-dial or re-lume,
Possible new bezel or bezel insert.
Shipping and insurance.

$900? plus S&I
Old 24 February 2006, 08:34 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We're looking at:

New crystal,
Full polish,
Shipping and insurance.

$900? plus S&I
Thanks, Fransie. The show comes in two weeks. I'll try and use this as a bargaining point to try and knock the asking price down. If the prices ended up about the same would you go with the 5513?
Old 24 February 2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, Fransie. The show comes in two weeks. I'll try and use this as a bargaining point to try and knock the asking price down. If the prices ended up about the same would you go with the 5513?

I would take the 5513 but you must follow your heart (and wallet). I'm not you. In 2001 I wrote Rolex SA a letter about the 50th Aniversary of the Sub. I'll post on that later. They DIDN'T do a re-issue, as many of the other watch manufacturers are doing. This tells a lot about Rolex.

Last edited by Goodwatch; 24 February 2006 at 09:04 AM..
Goodwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 09:03 AM   #8
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Like Frans says, it's a matter of personal taste. I came across a 5513 a few weeks back, and while it's really nice, I didn't feel it justified the asking price, which was way over what my SD cost brand-new. Also, if you're wearing it as a beater, the 14060M's sapphire crystal may be more practical.
Old 24 February 2006, 11:13 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
We're looking at:

New crystal,
Full polish,
Shipping and insurance.

$900? plus S&I
Frans, do you really think a service would cost that much in US dollars? I'm talking basic service. I realise it may need more due to it's age. Don't forget, he can refuse the re-dial, re-lume, bezel and hands if he wishes. If I'm not mistaken the new dial will have Swiss 25 or T Swiss T on the bottom, and no WG bezels around the hr markers, but would be luminova, not tritium.

Last edited by mailman; 24 February 2006 at 11:14 AM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Don't bother getting a 5513 if you are going to change the dial. That would ruin both the value and the character of the watch. If, however, you want a great 40 year old Sub with that James Bond vibe, go for a vintage 5513 on a NATO strap. You can get it overhauled, without changing the dial, for less than $500, and you will not regret it.

Old 24 February 2006, 02:53 PM   #11
mineral
"TRF" Member

Hi Cj

i will second the 14060M, there are few improvements on 14060M compare to the 5513.

Nevertheless, get the one smile to you!

Happy hunting,
mineral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 02:56 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Go for the newer 14060M which is M for modified. Much improved movement!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 03:29 PM   #13
mike
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of the 5513. The classic Rolex tool watch IMO.
Having said that,if the watch is to be used as a "beater" keep in mind the acryllic crystal will scratch much easier than the sapphire of the 14060M.

Secondly,if lume is a consideration the tritium markings of the 5513 will be gone or all be gone.

A service by RSC will run in the 450-475 usd range. I WOULD NOT get the dial and hands changed. Add another 275ish and the value of the vintage piece is gone.

That being said,they don't make 5513s anymore,and they are a classic watch!

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 11:45 PM   #14
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Craig, you may want to check out this site for a review and pics of the 5513 on bracelet and various, including NATO, straps.

http://alanwatch.homestead.com/rolexsubmariner.html

I agree with Dave and Mike. If you go for the 5513, do not change the dial. You will lose the character and value of this vintage piece.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2006, 11:48 PM   #15
Atomic

I would guesstimate that what Frans posted would cost about $650 in US dollars. Service by RUSA is now around $425 or so, just for a cleaning and regulation. A crystal is about $100 and so is a tube/gasket replacement. The polishing is included in a basic service price.

Frans is also assuming that nothing in the movement needs replacing. Trust me, they'll likely find something in the movement that 'needs' replacing.

Keep in mind, if you're getting a NDS with an acrylic crystal, if it's not gouged deeply, you can polish it yourself with brasso and save the cost of replacement (unless you are attempting a restoration).

I'd get the most current one you can to avoid lume issues and wear issues.
Old 25 February 2006, 02:51 AM   #16
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, for the replies I knew you guys would point me in the right direction As much as I would like a 5513 I really can't afford that kind of price to just have it sitting around. Like everyone pointed out, it would be foolish of me to change the dial, so after the servicing the lume still probably won't be there and the acrylic crystal is just to vulnerable for daily wear. I guess I'll stick with the 14060M (and a NATO) for daily wear, but if I can find a 5513 at the show, thats reasonable maybe I can swing that and do the refurbishing later on down the road
Thanks again, everyone
Old 25 February 2006, 02:52 AM   #17
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Craig, you may want to check out this site for a review and pics of the 5513 on bracelet and various, including NATO, straps.

http://alanwatch.homestead.com/rolexsubmariner.html

I agree with Dave and Mike. If you go for the 5513, do not change the dial. You will lose the character and value of this vintage piece.

Thanks, Ed That's a great site Man, I love that watch