The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 March 2017, 06:49 AM   #1
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

RSC Will Stabilize Tritium Hands

Just got off the phone with RSC in Florida. I spoke with a technician who informed me they will stabilize tritium hands. He also mentioned "throwing old hands into a drawer" as they were changed out-could be a gold mine. I was gobsmacked to say the least.

This gentleman admitted that they were more able to respond to owner's request than the RSC in Dallas or New York.

Has anyone had this done? I am going to give it a shot with my 16750...unless I hear some horror stories.

Thanks,
David
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

There is no RSC in Florida. The only two actual Rolex USA owned and operated RSC are NY and Dallas. There are lots of shops with Rolex parts accounts and maybe even a Rolex trained tech but they are independently owned and operated.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 08:37 AM   #3
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
There is no RSC in Florida. The only two actual Rolex USA owned and operated RSC are NY and Dallas. There are lots of shops with Rolex parts accounts and maybe even a Rolex trained tech but they are independently owned and operated.
I agree there is no service center in Florida listed on Rolex website. However it does exist, it is referred to as the Southeast Service Center. I recently had a watch serviced there, my local AD handled the transaction. I got their phone number from the RSC in Dallas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1635.jpg (124.2 KB, 762 views)
Old 31 March 2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
RSC in Florida I wonder who you spoke to....
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 08:39 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
There are independents who stabilize hands too. I've seen mixed results, based on photos. Sometimes the chemical used on the hands appears to darken the patina. Other times it doesn't appear to make a differnce in the patina.

Still, I wonder about the long-term effects. I guess that risk needs to be balanced with the possibility of crumbling tritium. Tough call.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 08:41 AM   #6
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
RSC in Florida I wonder who you spoke to....
Serge was the gentleman's name-he's actually a collector himself
Old 31 March 2017, 08:47 AM   #7
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
There are independents who stabilize hands too. I've seen mixed results, based on photos. Sometimes the chemical used on the hands appears to darken the patina. Other times it doesn't appear to make a differnce in the patina.

Still, I wonder about the long-term effects. I guess that risk needs to be balanced with the possibility of crumbling tritium. Tough call.
I was speaking with a local independent about having the work done also. I do like the idea of having Rolex do it as I will get the warranty and paperwork-I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to paperwork:)
Old 31 March 2017, 09:33 AM   #8
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
First I don't know I would RSC on any vintage watch, it if I did it would be RSC Dallas.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 09:51 AM   #9
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
I agree there is no service center in Florida listed on Rolex website. However it does exist, it is referred to as the Southeast Service Center. I recently had a watch serviced there, my local AD handled the transaction. I got their phone number from the RSC in Dallas
I've never heard of a true Rolex Service Center in Florida although I know of some operations who will do everything they can to make one think they are..... These outfits choose their words and phrasing (surely lawyer vetted) very carefully.

This said, if one uses Sutter's in Chicago for Rolex work, your watch comes back with everything accompanying it as if it had been in NYC or Dallas. I believe they are a non Rolex owned, RSC which provides Rolex authorized & warrantied service.

Perhaps there is an equivalent of Sutters in Florida? A non Rolex owned service center that provides authorized Rolex service?

Would be good to know for certain.......
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:11 AM   #10
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
I've never heard of a true Rolex Service Center in Florida although I know of some operations who will do everything they can to make one think they are..... These outfits choose their words and phrasing (surely lawyer vetted) very carefully.

This said, if one uses Sutter's in Chicago for Rolex work, your watch comes back with everything accompanying it as if it had been in NYC or Dallas. I believe they are a non Rolex owned, RSC which provides Rolex authorized & warrantied service.

Perhaps there is an equivalent of Sutters in Florida? A non Rolex owned service center that provides authorized Rolex service?

Would be good to know for certain.......
Well, if its not run by Rolex why would RSC in Dallas have their number and refer to them as a service center?
Old 31 March 2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Call Dallas or NY and ask. :)
Old 31 March 2017, 11:53 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
Well, if its not run by Rolex why would RSC in Dallas have their number and refer to them as a service center?
There are a number of Rolex Service Centers in the USA.. San Fran, Chicago, Philly, and Ormond Beach, FLA...

Since they are qualified CW-21 watchmakers, they may, indeed, do stabilization, repairs, and offer other work that the Corporate Centers do not do.
Old 31 March 2017, 12:18 PM   #13
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are a number of Rolex Service Centers in the USA.. San Fran, Chicago, Philly, and Ormond Beach, FLA...

Since they are qualified CW-21 watchmakers, they may, indeed, do stabilization, repairs, and offer other work that the Corporate Centers do not do.
Thanks!
Old 31 March 2017, 12:27 PM   #14
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

FLA... I was unaware of these locations and I am confused about why they exist. Are they overflow for when the service centers get busy? Can an individual send a watch directly to one of these locations or walk in?

Also it seems strange that a company as controlling as Rolex would let these locations offer services Dallas and NY do not.

I thought I heard NC had a service center as well.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 12:35 PM   #15
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
First I don't know I would RSC on any vintage watch, it if I did it would be RSC Dallas.
That would be my last choice.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 02:59 PM   #16
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I'm pleased the Austin Rolex Service Center has joined us in this thread, hey Tommy! :)
Old 31 March 2017, 06:02 PM   #17
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Well I wouldn't go that far...

I have my preferences of RSC ops but I'd keep that to myself.

It's funny...I have a friend who is a CW21 watchmaker and former board member of AWCI...who is basically self taught..I say that loosely because he didn't go to watchmaking school per se. He has had a lot of training. He's meticulous and very talented and I definitely pick his brain a bit.

He hates servicing his own watches. :-) I think he sends some of his own to factory service centers when he is probably more qualified and better at it than the people who work in those.

Sometimes on a current or recent model...I'd just let them do it.

I don't like working on the 3135 much...and I don't do chronographs.

I can and will work on the 3135 but...I really prefer the 3035 and more so the 15xx series....10xx....I have a love hate....7 series and 6 series...they're fun...a hassle sometimes but fun.

I did a 3185 just to do it...built if from a rust bucket. It turned out fabulous but it's a pain.

I just did an ODP....1225...what a dream watch. Love that movement.
Old 31 March 2017, 06:04 PM   #18
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

As far as hand stabilizing...lots of different things...George used to use crystal cement.

I don't like the stuff because it's horribly messy. I don't even like it on crystals...it's basically airplane glue.

Super glue works well. Guys use clear nail polish.

Basically you want a clear cement of some sort that holds everything in one piece.

Super glue is nice because it's quick and it is very liquid and saturates and then it's done.

I'm all ears if anyone has any tips or brilliant recipes.
Old 31 March 2017, 06:47 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally, I would not send it to an RSC.

If in Florida I'd send it to Riki or ABC on the West coast. I'd get them to comment on your stabilization question, as they specialize in vintage Rolex repairs
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:11 PM   #20
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Ive been doing this for a while and have tried many of the things mentioned above. What i have found is that clear nail polish glue etc over time the the hands will get darker. The best thing to use is lume the same color as your hands and binder. If you have old tritium like me then it will come out perfect.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 11:11 PM   #21
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
That would be my last choice.
Did you have bad service out of dallas?
I always had good luck.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 12:05 PM   #22
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

My pops knew and dove with the owner back in the 70's. Not sure who owns them now.

ROLEX AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER
224 Vining Ct, Ormond Beach, FL 32176
Email this business
(386) 677-6355

We are the authorized Rolex Service Center servicing the Southeast United States and Puerto Rico since 1970. Rolex watches are serviced exclusively with a Rolex factory 2 year service warranty issued on applicable watches. This facility has state of the art equipment with factory trained technicians. Complete restorations are offered for most vintage Rolex watches. Less
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 06:19 PM   #23
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Ive been doing this for a while and have tried many of the things mentioned above. What i have found is that clear nail polish glue etc over time the the hands will get darker. The best thing to use is lume the same color as your hands and binder. If you have old tritium like me then it will come out perfect.
If you use the 2 part binder and powder...the binder...to me it's the same issue as glue. Too thick. You also run into the problem....you add another layer of lume...you may not have clearance...between the dial or between the hands.

And of course you can't buy tritium anymore either.

If you use the new lume...well then it will glow when charged.
Old 7 June 2017, 12:26 AM   #24
Rolex_Rookie
"TRF" Member

Why is Southeastern Service in Ormond referred to as a RSC on the paperwork in post #3? They are also listed as "Rolex Service Center" on Google maps. I just got off the phone with them and they confirmed they are independent and not owned by or associated with Rolex in any way, other than having a parts account since 1970. They offer a 2 year in-house warranty, but nothing more. No Rolex warranty service card. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.
Rolex_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 12:48 AM   #25
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_Rookie View Post
Why is Southeastern Service in Ormond referred to as a RSC on the paperwork in post #3? They are also listed as "Rolex Service Center" on Google maps. I just got off the phone with them and they confirmed they are independent and not owned by or associated with Rolex in any way, other than having a parts account since 1970. They offer a 2 year in-house warranty, but nothing more. No Rolex warranty service card. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.
I wonder if it has anything to do with how they, Ormond, receive the watch. For example, I did not send my watch directly to them. I took it to my AD and they sent the watch in for service. About 2 months later I received the watch with all the paperwork.
Old 7 June 2017, 12:56 AM   #26
Rolex_Rookie
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the quick response David. I called them back and they confirmed "Geneva" changed the policy regarding the warranty paperwork last month. Unfortunately, they are no longer allowed to offer Rolex warranties on their service.
Rolex_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 02:05 AM   #27
ATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: '79 9411
My snowflake arrived this week after a full overhaul by WI. My second sweep hand had lost its tritium, Phillip repaired that and stabilized the minute and hour hand. I am totally blown away, I can't tell a difference and he matched the patina VERY well. Not sure what he uses but my watch is a '79 and it's a dead match.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote