The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 May 2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

A bit of everything . . .

Greetings Gentlemen (as there seems to be no Ladies on the forum, kindly correct me if I'm wrong),

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm an underpaid and overtaxed engineer from Canada. I stumbled upon your forum whilst looking for Rolex information, and spent a few deligthful hours reading various posts. This very interesting reading actually answered most of my questions. But I am still wondering...
  • Is the new 116233 actually replacing the 16233, or will both models continue to be available?
  • In your opinion is the $1500 price tag difference justified, i.e. is it worth it to buy the 116233 over the 16233?
  • I am not clear regarding the "solid links" in the newer model?
  • On the rolex web site there is a model called "Oyster Perpetual Date"? How is that one different from the "Oyster Perpetual Date Just"?
  • Does anyone know the percentage of Rolexes sold to women?
  • Mr JJ has made 11 943 posts in less than one year therefore averaging 35 posts per day?!
Thank you indeed.
Gentleman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Welcome to our happy, nutty bunch. I'll leave your questions to someone who cares except for the last one. The trouble with JJ is he's all alone in Kiwi land so when he gets on here, we can't shut him up.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 01:35 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8
Greetings Gentlemen (as there seems to be no Ladies on the forum, kindly correct me if I'm wrong),

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm an underpaid and overtaxed engineer from Canada. I stumbled upon your forum whilst looking for Rolex information, and spent a few deligthful hours reading various posts. This very interesting reading actually answered most of my questions. But I am still wondering...
  • Is the new 116233 actually replacing the 16233, or will both models continue to be available?
  • In your opinion is the $1500 price tag difference justified, i.e. is it worth it to buy the 116233 over the 16233?
  • I am not clear regarding the "solid links" in the newer model?
  • On the rolex web site there is a model called "Oyster Perpetual Date"? How is that one different from the "Oyster Perpetual Date Just"?
  • Does anyone know the percentage of Rolexes sold to women?
  • Mr JJ has made 11 943 posts in less than one year therefore averaging 35 posts per day?!
Thank you indeed.
Hi Steven,

First and foremost a big welcome to this crazy forum called TRF. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here!! I'll start straight away by trying best to answer your questions...

1. The 116233 is actually replacing the older 16233 which will gradually fade away with time (pun intended! )
2. The solid links on the new Oyster and Jubilee bracelets means that now even the centre links are all solid and not hollow like the existing ones.
3. Well, if you're spending so much on a watch, might as well go the extra mile and fork over the additional $1500 for the much improved bracelet as well as the new case design. FYI, the movement (calibre 3135) is still the same in BOTH models.
4. The "Oyster Perpetual Date" is only 34 mm in diameter as opposed to the 36 mm of the "Oyster Perpetual Datejust".
5. I can tell you the percentage of women with fabulous cleavages who have sold watches to me!!
6. As for my number of posts...well, this place is my second home and although it may appear like I'm here all day, in actual fact, I'm on for say an hour or maybe 1½ hrs in the morning and a couple of hours in the evenings. The thing is I answer to EACH AND EVERY POST....probably the reason for the high count!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 25 May 2006 at 03:53 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 06:02 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF Steven,and I will pass on comments about JJs posts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 10:41 PM   #6
----

Welcome Steven,

There are a few Canadians on this forum already so some here understand the overtaxed part quite well......

What part of The Great White North do you call home?

Looks like your questions have been answered except one clarification is needed - we do have a few women on this forum. Enjoy your stay on TRF!
Old 8 May 2006, 03:52 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I like your new avatar, Al!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 8 May 2006, 06:20 AM   #8
----

Thanks JJ, it's an opal we picked up in Lightning Ridge........
Old 8 May 2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Steven. Glad you found your way to our merry madhouse. BTW, there are a few distaff members of TRF, but they are probably in the midst of finals right now (the two main lady members are grad students at university).

Our resident BKL (Bald Kiwi Loon) has answered most of your questions, but did you notice he did not answer your question about the number of Rolexes sold to women. As usual, he managed to read "to" as "by" and thereby provided an answer no one else wanted to hear.

Just try to ignore him. He won't go away but he may pout for awhile and go back to playing with his sheep if no one talks to him.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2006, 02:28 PM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Welcome to TRF Steven, glad to have you here and yes JJ is full blown nutcase!!

As to your other qeustions, they have this new thing out called the internet, it even has Google on it, you should try it, it is pretty cool.

Seriously though, glad to have you here.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2006, 04:53 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Just when Steven was beginning to like me, you buggers have chased him away with all your comments. Now we may never see him again...

Old 9 May 2006, 12:23 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Just when Steven was beginning to like me, you buggers have chased him away with all your comments. Now we may never see him again...
We should invite him back, someone here should like you, I guess.

Old 9 May 2006, 12:55 AM   #13
Atomic

Welcome, eh... from another over-taxed guy from the Great White North.
Old 9 May 2006, 01:08 AM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Steven, you are not totally wrong, there are some women, JJ just tends to scare all of them off with his not subtle kiwi charm. It is strange too, because the same moves he makes on here works great on the sheep. Go figure.

Old 9 May 2006, 04:23 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Steven, you are not totally wrong, there are some women, JJ just tends to scare all of them off with his not subtle kiwi charm. It is strange too, because the same moves he makes on here works great on the sheep. Go figure.
You're wasting your breath, Daren....he's gone!!

Old 9 May 2006, 08:19 AM   #16
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Oh, I'm here, and thank you for the detailed reply. You seem to be a merry bunch... Have you gentlemen ever met?
Gentleman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2006, 05:07 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Oh, I'm here, and thank you for the detailed reply. You seem to be a merry bunch... Have you gentlemen ever met?
Al (Avalon) and and his wonderful wife, Jacqui, visited Auckland in December 2004. We went out for a nice Indian dinner and the next day they came over to my museum for a tour of the place. Unfortunately, it was a very short visit although I wish I could have spent a few more days with them.

Jacqui has recovered somehow, but Al has never quite been the same since.

I always hope that some of you guys can come all the way to NZ to meet me. I can't promise you the moon, but at least I guarantee a good time and a few laughs for sure.

And, hey, you get a super duper deal from Mansor's on any watch you choose to buy - tax free and what have you....can't get any better (or cheaper) than Mansor's Jewellers!!

JJ