The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

View Poll Results: Does your 32xx movement seem to be 100% ok?
Yes, no issues 1,018 70.11%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine 61 4.20%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off (>5 s/d) 373 25.69%
Voters: 1452. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 November 2022, 02:21 AM   #3091
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
I will try to be on the positive side
Thats always a great place to be.

Being Positive is good for the Mind, Body and Soul.

And thats apart from the positive thinking that Rolex will shortly have a fix for the well documented 32xx problems
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 05:52 AM   #3092
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Like i promised a few days ago, i tested my GMT meteorite from 2020 which i’m wearing as a daily with my app Timegrapher for almost 7 minutes. Now a little disclaimer, i’m no expert on testing and interpreting this data but my watch has a stable -1 spd to -1,5 spd depending on how i let my watch rest. For this test i put my watch around my microphone and it was with the face up. I did not extra wind the watch, since it is constantly running from 10 september when i returned from my vacation and i got it out of the safe again. I wore it daily since. Hope i can contribute with this
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 61ED5592-9673-4E1F-8666-C51FE4266B91.jpeg (104.6 KB, 191 views)
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 06:15 AM   #3093
saxo3
"TRF" Member

I would not trust theses amplitude numbers (min, max, sd); lift angle is 53 not 52 degrees.

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 06:34 AM   #3094
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I would not trust theses amplitude numbers (min, max, sd); lift angle is 53 not 52 degrees.

I did the same test in the same position only this time with 53 degrees. The result is different. Is this more trustworthy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 01C05AE4-807E-4AFC-9E57-4E794DFBB940.jpeg (103.4 KB, 183 views)
Old 10 November 2022, 06:58 AM   #3095
saxo3
"TRF" Member

32xx movement problem poll and data thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
I did the same test in the same position only this time with 53 degrees. The result is different. Is this more trustworthy?
Not for me.

Max = 349 degrees is nonsense.
Sd = 30.8 degrees is by far too large.

The Sd value is the standard deviation or precision. For amplitudes, measured with a timegrapher, one expects a precison of +/- some degrees (not 30.8) for a healthy movement.
Old 10 November 2022, 07:04 AM   #3096
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not for me.

Max = 349 degrees is nonsense.
Sd = 30.8 degrees is by far too large.

The Sd value is the standard deviation or precision. For amplitudes, measured with a timegrapher, one expects a precison of +/- some degrees (not 30.8) for a healthy movement.
So it is safe to say that such an app as timegrapher is useless for gathering this kind of data? Or am i doing something wrong? It is a silent room so not many surrounding sounds.
Old 10 November 2022, 07:12 AM   #3097
saxo3
"TRF" Member

32xx movement problem poll and data thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
So it is safe to say that such an app as timegrapher is useless for gathering this kind of data?
See my post #3024.
I would not continue with such an app and enjoy your wonderful watch.
If you are really curious then buy a rather cheap timegrapher. I use a prof. instrument.
Old 10 November 2022, 10:04 AM   #3098
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Bummer this thread got moved. Any material updates on the problem or a fix? Honestly thinking of selling my DJ if it still has issues at end of warranty.
Old 10 November 2022, 01:37 PM   #3099
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Note to self;

Don’t buy an AK from @CedCraig. :)
Perhaps you meant to say don‘t buy any used Rolex with a 32xx movement? Lol. Pretty good chance the seller realized s/he had a lemon and is passing it on.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 05:11 PM   #3100
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
This thread was moved here not long ago by “The powers that be”

It would appear that some people did not see the merit of the thread and decided it was not something that appealed to people.

Clearly by the number of people who joined in with comments that is not so !

I guess it’s some sort of censorship or something. If it does not appeal to someone who has the power, authority and facility to effectively kill the thread by burying it then that’s just what they have tried to do.

Stirring up the moderators does not help the cause Charles.

Only 260 ‘members’ have posted on this thread.

Take out the posters who have shown no interest and you really have a small % of interest after all this time but admittedly it is growing slowly.

Now that it has been moved to the Watch Tech sub forum it is easier to find.

I am convinced that there is an issue with these movements and I have previously suggested that it would be more worthwhile, at least to me, to spend more time finding the cause than confirming that these movements are failing.

Yes, no issues 807
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine. 43
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off. 257

I understand that there are 32** movement owners out there who are not aware of any issues and to me the results do show that there is a problem.

Can we move forward to research on a ‘fix it’ thread?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 05:21 PM   #3101
Andad

Quote:
Position 9 in quantity of contributions and still strong in QUALITY

Also moved …

To be fair you should take out at least 5 of the top contributors for clarity?

Old 10 November 2022, 05:53 PM   #3102
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Stirring up the moderators does not help the cause
I was and am NOT trying to stir up the moderators.

I was showing my disappointment that a thread which has become one of the biggest and affects many people, whether they know it or not, should effectively be buried without any clear direction to its new location.

I would be very happy to move onto the discussion of “a fix” for the problem but I am not a watchmaker. I do not have access to Rolex R&D department and I am not about to open up my watches to fiddle about.

We have found a lot of data and from that a watchmaker can get “Clues” hopefully of where the problem lies.

I just wish that Rolex would say something, of course they won’t, but it would be good if somehow there was an official information leak. (Wishful thinking).

If I have upset someone with my thoughts and comments, I apologise, but, the sentiment remains with me.
Old 10 November 2022, 06:37 PM   #3103
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
To be fair you should take out at least 5 of the top contributors for clarity?
Hmm...then you'd be #3 Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (86.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 10 November 2022, 07:31 PM   #3104
Andad

I did say ‘at least’ Adam.

Old 10 November 2022, 08:14 PM   #3105
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I did say ‘at least’ Adam.
The first two alone account for one third of all posts.
Old 10 November 2022, 10:21 PM   #3106
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

I am one of the "First Two" in that list.

It's interesting though that it is the "First Two" that seem to be the providers of most of the actual data that can be analysed by all and sundry.

So many others just come in to "Put Down" the attempts of understanding and perhaps finding the root cause of a problem that DOES exist.
Old 10 November 2022, 11:25 PM   #3107
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Without question, the acceptance of this movement's issue(s) has grown over time. That is really the only achievement which matters. To think that we, or anyone other than Rolex HQ, are capable of producing a fix is wildly unrealistic. What we can do is increase the numbers of owners who recognize the problem, thus placing pressure back on Rolex to deliver a solution.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 12:22 AM   #3108
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
placing pressure back on Rolex to deliver a solution.
I just can not see that Rolex would feel any pressure at all from the forum in any way.

We are a very tiny minority who care about the running of our watches and have the capability of measiring the error caused by a seeming defect somewhere within the case of the watches with a 32xx movement.

There are very few members on the entire website in comparison to owners of watches. Rolex quite possibly almost thinks of us doing these measurements and reporrting our findings as nothing more than a pimple. There would be no pressure felt by them.

Personally I would have thought it would have been good for the Rolex company to actively participate in these forums. There would be a huge opportunity for both the company and its customers to learn a lot from each other.

A few other watch manufacturers have done this and it has paid off well for them.
Old 11 November 2022, 01:10 AM   #3109
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just can not see that Rolex would feel any pressure at all from the forum in any way.

We are a very tiny minority who care about the running of our watches and have the capability of measiring the error caused by a seeming defect somewhere within the case of the watches witha 3wxx movement.

There are very few members on the entire website in comparison to owners of watches. Rolex quite possibly almost thinks of us doing these measurements and reporrting our findings as nothing more than a pimple. There would be no pressure felt by them.
I strongly disagree. It is very naïve to think that Rolex does not monitor forums like this. A luxury brand is NOTHING without its reputation. Rolex would never, ever, respond to us here but I guarantee you they have employees who look at these forums in both official and unofficial capacities. This thread is a black eye for their technical abilities, period. The more it grows, the more time that passes without clear resolution, the more inept they appear.

This thread HAS moved the needle of public opinion. I now regularly see people who don't even own a 32xx watch indicating that they are apprehensive about getting one because of the "known issues".
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 01:22 AM   #3110
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I strongly disagree. It is very naïve to think that Rolex does not monitor forums like this. A luxury brand is NOTHING without its reputation. Rolex would never, ever, respond to us here but I guarantee you they have employees who look at these forums in both official and unofficial capacities. This thread is a black eye for their technical abilities, period. The more it grows, the more time that passes without clear resolution, the more inept they appear.

This thread HAS moved the needle of public opinion. I now regularly see people who don't even own a 32xx watch indicating that they are apprehensive about getting one because of the "known issues".
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 01:30 AM   #3111
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am one of the "First Two" in that list.

It's interesting though that it is the "First Two" that seem to be the providers of most of the actual data that can be analysed by all and sundry.
Charles, since you like data so much, here is a simple analysis of thread views, which shows popularity.

As of today, this thread is on position #3 of the most ever viewed (per month) TRF threads listed under Rolex General Discussion.

Old 11 November 2022, 01:46 AM   #3112
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 04:11 AM   #3113
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Charles, since you like data so much, here is a simple analysis of thread views, which shows popularity.

As of today, this thread is on position #3 of the most ever viewed (per month) TRF threads listed under Rolex General Discussion.
WOW !

Thank you Saxo3 Thats astonishing information.

It just goes to show how interested people really are in learning about the 32xx problems.
Old 11 November 2022, 07:13 PM   #3114
Rooibard
"TRF" Member

So easiest fix for Rolex is to use Tudor movements in their watches , every Tudor I own is more accurate than all my Rolexes . Tudor is no longer the poor man’s Rolex but rather the smart man’s Rolex . My mate Steve in the uk and I both own tudors that run absolutely dead on , no deviation for months , my other 2 tudors run -2s/d . My bb pro also has no date issue so that seems to be sorted . Maybe Tudor should send some of their technicians across the road to help Rolex .
Rooibard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 07:53 PM   #3115
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooibard View Post
So easiest fix for Rolex is to use Tudor movements in their watches , every Tudor I own is more accurate than all my Rolexes . Tudor is no longer the poor man’s Rolex but rather the smart man’s Rolex . My mate Steve in the uk and I both own tudors that run absolutely dead on , no deviation for months , my other 2 tudors run -2s/d . My bb pro also has no date issue so that seems to be sorted . Maybe Tudor should send some of their technicians across the road to help Rolex .
Hey! You need at least 1000 posts before you can make comments like this!

1st post BOOM!
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 08:25 PM   #3116
Rooibard
"TRF" Member

I have read all 3000+ posts and have owned 4 Rolexes and 3 tudors , have been working on watch movements for 15 years so know a thing or two about watch mechanicals and servicing . I love Rolex watches but they have got themselves into a bit of a pickle here .
Old 11 November 2022, 08:33 PM   #3117
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooibard View Post
I have read all 3000+ posts and have owned 4 Rolexes and 3 tudors , have been working on watch movements for 15 years so know a thing or two about watch mechanicals and servicing . I love Rolex watches but they have got themselves into a bit of a pickle here .

Not going to happen pal. Rolex will never use a movement shared by 4 other manufacturers. The time of sharing parts with it’s “more affordable” sister has long passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 09:38 PM   #3118
Rooibard
"TRF" Member

Let’s hope they spend less time trying to silence all the RSC staff and more time trying to find a solution , before our 32xx Rolex prices tank and and our so called investment pieces become worthless . We all have a lot to lose here especially the guys that spent 2or3 times retail on their Rolexes .
Old 15 November 2022, 12:38 PM   #3119
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

I know it won‘t make any difference, but I sent it anyway.

8C917DBF-E330-4C9A-AE56-0BD1F984B540.jpeg
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2022, 09:58 PM   #3120
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post
it won‘t make any difference
I just wonder how many seconds it will take for the clerk at Rolex to place the letter in the permanant filing tray (Aka .. The bin).

Rolex wont take any notice at all.

They know they have a problemm.
Rolex clearly are not going to do a recall of watches with the problem as that would be technically impossible I think apart from the cost.

If (and its a BIG "IF") the ever get a fix they will very slowly and silently roll it out and do what is needed when a watch goes in for a service.

They will not say it has been done .. And they will only do it when a watch is in for a chargeable service to reduce their costs.

All of that is not exactly honourable but just look how they have behaved so far for an example.

There are problems with the 32xx movements .. That has now been proven beyond a doubt, Possibly the root causes of the problems, or at least some of them, have been found by research done by individuals who have no connection to Rolex other that being Rilex warch owners, and Still Rolex say and do nothing.