The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 October 2023, 08:21 AM   #3091
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Does anyone get strap anxiety, meaning that feeling of dread before you cut a rubber strap to size?

I'm repeating the mantra over and over again....."measure twice, cut once. measure twice, cut once".....but it's still not helping.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 08:52 AM   #3092
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, absolutely.

Leaving it what seems slightly big for a few hours... doing the final later is the only way (for me). My wrists grow and shrink so taking it slow helps.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:08 AM   #3093
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Just gone midnight, and if we're doing photos again, here's my Terre Adelie - still going strong, and remaining (by far) my most worn watch.

I need to go to sleep!

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:10 AM   #3094
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yes, absolutely.

Leaving it what seems slightly big for a few hours... doing the final later is the only way (for me). My wrists grow and shrink so taking it slow helps.

That’s a great suggestion, and pretty much what I did. If you can, size them in the summer as I would have been quite a bit more nervous doing it in the winter for the first time.

I’m assuming that now that I know the Czapek straps, other straps can be cut to the same length with less risk.

If it helps, my rubber straps are a bit bigger than the bracelet for Czapek, because of the micro adjust. So if you’re about to cut the rubber strap smaller or even the same size as the bracelet, remeasure or rethink. The clasp is also slightly thicker on the rubber strap than the metal bracelet, so another reason it needs to be slightly longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:14 AM   #3095
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
C'mon! This is like Russian Roulette, except with only $300. Live a little!

Old 14 October 2023, 09:25 AM   #3096
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
C'mon! This is like Russian Roulette, except with only $300. Live a little!

$1000 actually. The price on the rubber straps is the only thing I don’t like about my Czapek.

Old 14 October 2023, 01:20 PM   #3097
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
$1000 actually. The price on the rubber straps is the only thing I don’t like about my Czapek.
Holy crap!
Old 14 October 2023, 01:26 PM   #3098
Heinb
"TRF" Member

The long wait is over. Got my Glacier blue on Tuesday. Loving it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg da8dfdc9-fac5-40fa-b9a9-9fbbaa363b52.jpeg (137.9 KB, 368 views)
Heinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 01:35 PM   #3099
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Glacier blue on grey rubber
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg e026ebf3-1c96-46b8-9bca-cc9652157175.jpeg (150.6 KB, 363 views)
Old 14 October 2023, 02:56 PM   #3100
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinb View Post
Glacier blue on grey rubber

Looks great. Congrats!

usmc_k9_vet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 04:04 PM   #3101
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much
Old 14 October 2023, 04:26 PM   #3102
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Beautiful! And nice combo glacier + grey rubber strap. Congrats!
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 04:34 PM   #3103
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Eheh, you have to be surgical in cutting.
With such kind of adjustable strap solutions, in general but especially when the strap costs so much like in this case, is better to start loose and then fine tune with multiple cuts, rather then going direct to a single cut, which if wrong is irreversible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Does anyone get strap anxiety, meaning that feeling of dread before you cut a rubber strap to size?

I'm repeating the mantra over and over again....."measure twice, cut once. measure twice, cut once".....but it's still not helping.
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 05:50 PM   #3104
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug04 View Post
Beautiful! And nice combo glacier + grey rubber strap. Congrats!
Thank you. Appreciate
Old 14 October 2023, 11:00 PM   #3105
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m assuming that now that I know the Czapek straps, other straps can be cut to the same length with less risk.
Yes, it gets easier for future straps once you know the lengths of the first strap. As always, carefully measure twice and cut once.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 15 October 2023, 12:45 AM   #3106
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s a great suggestion, and pretty much what I did. If you can, size them in the summer as I would have been quite a bit more nervous doing it in the winter for the first time.

If it helps, my rubber straps are a bit bigger than the bracelet for Czapek, because of the micro adjust. So if you’re about to cut the rubber strap smaller or even the same size as the bracelet, remeasure or rethink. The clasp is also slightly thicker on the rubber strap than the metal bracelet, so another reason it needs to be slightly longer.

interesting! I think my rubber sizing is actually shorter than the bracelet. I prefer to wear it tighter in general since I dont like it being loose whilst being indoors in air con, feel like there is a bit too much wriggle room. Maybe in the future there is also some kind of micro-adjust for the rubber too (for hot/cold weather)! the rubber is super comfortable I have to say but the pricing is a bit steep cuz it comes with the connectors and clasp
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 03:25 AM   #3107
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Finally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1634.jpg (66.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.jpg (61.2 KB, 276 views)
Old 17 October 2023, 03:28 AM   #3108
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Apologies for the bad photos, but I'm so glad I finally got my Antarctique. Thanks to Mike and the team at Czapek. There are obviously some growing pains with their direct purchase business, but it's to be expected. I am going to assume the kinks will be ironed out as time goes on. Really interested in some other models as well, but need time with this one on the wrist to make a judgment on that.

I will have more detailed observations in a later post (the good and bad thus far).
Old 17 October 2023, 04:12 AM   #3109
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Finally.
That's really pretty!
Old 17 October 2023, 10:10 AM   #3110
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

So early opinions:

POSITIVES

1. The watch is beautiful. It is aesthetically the most beautiful watch I own, which I know, doesn't mean anything to anyone else. However, I own Rolexes, ALS, GSs, Omegas, IWC, GO, and the Antarctique is beautiful. The pale blue of the dial, the indices, the facets of the case flanks, the bracelet design, and movement (modern design elements with attention to detail in the finishing)....it's a killer combination.

2. The bracelet is a beautiful design. The C style motif, the rather severe but smooth taper, how it flows into the case is very well done. I also like how it's thin and not bulky. I know this is not to everyone's liking, but the thinness is a plus for me. It aids in the sophistication of what is otherwise a sports watch. This makes the overall package very versatile. It's both dressy and sporty, so really a one-watch collection worthy watch.

3. The movement, in addition to being a beautiful movement, albeit in a way completely opposite from, let's say, my ALS, has been spot on in accuracy. Literally it has been 0 spd out of the box. This has not been the case with other watches I have purchased. Some I have had to immediately return to the AD for re-adjustment, sometimes taking months to get it back, only for it to return still not at its peak accuracy. So for this watch to be so accurate to date is so refreshing.

4. The micro-adjust is a welcome addition. It's very similar to how Vacheron does it on the Overseas in that it's an extension via the links on either side of the clasp. Where this one is superior to the VC is that you have to press two buttons on either side to activate the extensions. This makes it much more secure. It pulls out only when you want it to. I have heard that on the Overseas, sometimes the extensions pull out themselves as they are held in place by friction. The Czapek system is more secure.

5. Overall, the watch wears almost like it's made of Ti instead of SS. It's that light. It feels almost like a different alloy of SS.

6. Size-wise, it actually wears smaller than one would expect a 40mm watch, in a tonneau-like shape, with an integrated bracelet design, should wear. I have a 7.25 inch wrist, and it just wears, or at least appears to wear from my vantage point, smaller than I had expected.

NEGATIVES

1. The negatives are few for now, but they mostly focus on the bracelet/strap and system. As nice and thin as the bracelet is, and as beautiful as the C motif is, I think Czapek could take one step further in bracelet finishing. I understand that the sharpness of the links might have been what Czapek was going after, I still think all the facets of the links should have been chamfered a bit more. The edges are too sharp and too abrupt in my opinion.

Yes, that would create some issues as to how the bracelet matches with the design of the case, but I think some kind of aesthetic solution could be found. Perhaps a brushed chamfer might have worked. The interiors of the links could have used a polished chamfer at least for those who chose the polished/brushed link option (they rounded the inside parts of the links, but outside polished chamfering would have been nice), but in any case, I thought a little more refinement could have been done.

2. As good as the micro-adjust feature is, I think either 1/2 links should have been offered to really dial-in the fit, or have one intermediate step for each side of the micro-adjust. 1/2 links would really be nice.

3. The system that attaches the strap and bracelet to the case needs more refinement. What I mean is that when locked into place, both the bracelet, but especially the strap, has a lot of play or movement. I don't know if this is intentional, but I prefer a tighter integration between the bracelet/strap and the case. BTW, the play occurs at the top of the first "C" which is where the hook is located and which attaches to the bar on the case.

The locking mechanism makes sure the bracelet and strap do not fall off, but it feels loose.

This is a relatively minor thing. The looseness does make it easier for the bracelet to conform around the wrist. Those with wider wrists won't even notice as the bracelet will flare out, and the play will be minimal. That's how it feels on my wrist by the way.

4. Czapek should offer a calf-skin or leather strap option too, like VC does with the Overseas.

5. The clasp for the rubber strap does not have a micro-adjust. Since this type of strap requires it to be cut to size, once cut, there is no ability to fine-tune or adjust the size (i.e., like an Omega-style strap/deployant combination). I think a micro-adjust on the clasp would provide some leeway on where to cut your strap. This is a peace-of-mind kinda thing too as a mistake is a $1000 mistake.

6. The links are held in place by a hybrid screw/pin system. The screws just make sure the pins to not slip out. It's kind of a cap on top of the pin. I would have preferred an entire screw as the screw cap is tiny and would be hard to find if you dropped it. The system works, but it's kind of the worse of both worlds....a screw that might back out, and a pin system that requires you to push out the pin (need a tool for that).

I understand that watchmakers like Patek switched to pins and sleeves on the 5711/5811 because, according to them, if you have a thin bracelet, the type of screws you would need would be prone to stripping or would be so small as to lead to a greater chance of scratching the screw heads and/or bracelet. Not sure if that is true, but if it is, Czapek using screw caps on top of the pins, wouldn't exactly avoid that issue.

As I wear the watch on both bracelet and strap, I'll see if any more positives or negatives spring up.
Old 17 October 2023, 11:01 AM   #3111
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

#4 is offered

Old 17 October 2023, 11:14 AM   #3112
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
#4 is offered
Offered, but not included, as in the VC Overseas.
Old 17 October 2023, 11:18 AM   #3113
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the movement, which is also a trait of my IWC BP, when setting the time, has that second hand that which moves backward when reversing the minute hand. In other words, if you need to move the hands counterclockwise, the second hand moves backward suddenly like 10 seconds before straightening out again. There is also a lot of play or slack in the movement, meaning you have to turn the crown a bit before the hands start moving.

Doesn't affect the timekeeping, but I always found that a bit disconcerting.
Old 17 October 2023, 01:21 PM   #3114
Heinb
"TRF" Member

On point 2. I got my watch last week, and it came with 3 extra links of different sizes.(hidden away in the little drawers in the display box)
Old 17 October 2023, 01:25 PM   #3115
Heinb
"TRF" Member

At the bottom of the box. Left and right are little drawers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 016b7ed0-985f-45c3-9339-3d20301457cf.jpeg (180.2 KB, 201 views)
Old 17 October 2023, 01:42 PM   #3116
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Neat! This is awesome. Mine did not automatically come with these and I had to request it separately, but it arrived quickly when I asked for it. I think it's great if these are included so that everyone can get the perfect fit.

It also looks like there are three sizes of links? I've seen the standard link and the 1.3x link. The third one looks smaller than the standard link?
Old 17 October 2023, 02:05 PM   #3117
Heinb
"TRF" Member

I will have to measure and come back to you.
It looked to me like a standard link but I will make sure 👍🏻
Old 17 October 2023, 02:08 PM   #3118
Heinb
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Apologies. I read your post again.
Yes. One is smaller than the standard link.
Old 17 October 2023, 04:30 PM   #3119
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
very cool! I was literally thinking if there was a half link, it would be perfect as I am currently using 1 side of the extension to get a good-ish fit. Need to check if my box came with these links
Old 17 October 2023, 04:31 PM   #3120
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So early opinions:

POSITIVES

1. The watch is beautiful. It is aesthetically the most beautiful watch I own, which I know, doesn't mean anything to anyone else. However, I own Rolexes, ALS, GSs, Omegas, IWC, GO, and the Antarctique is beautiful. The pale blue of the dial, the indices, the facets of the case flanks, the bracelet design, and movement (modern design elements with attention to detail in the finishing)....it's a killer combination.

2. The bracelet is a beautiful design. The C style motif, the rather severe but smooth taper, how it flows into the case is very well done. I also like how it's thin and not bulky. I know this is not to everyone's liking, but the thinness is a plus for me. It aids in the sophistication of what is otherwise a sports watch. This makes the overall package very versatile. It's both dressy and sporty, so really a one-watch collection worthy watch.

3. The movement, in addition to being a beautiful movement, albeit in a way completely opposite from, let's say, my ALS, has been spot on in accuracy. Literally it has been 0 spd out of the box. This has not been the case with other watches I have purchased. Some I have had to immediately return to the AD for re-adjustment, sometimes taking months to get it back, only for it to return still not at its peak accuracy. So for this watch to be so accurate to date is so refreshing.

4. The micro-adjust is a welcome addition. It's very similar to how Vacheron does it on the Overseas in that it's an extension via the links on either side of the clasp. Where this one is superior to the VC is that you have to press two buttons on either side to activate the extensions. This makes it much more secure. It pulls out only when you want it to. I have heard that on the Overseas, sometimes the extensions pull out themselves as they are held in place by friction. The Czapek system is more secure.

5. Overall, the watch wears almost like it's made of Ti instead of SS. It's that light. It feels almost like a different alloy of SS.

6. Size-wise, it actually wears smaller than one would expect a 40mm watch, in a tonneau-like shape, with an integrated bracelet design, should wear. I have a 7.25 inch wrist, and it just wears, or at least appears to wear from my vantage point, smaller than I had expected.

NEGATIVES

1. The negatives are few for now, but they mostly focus on the bracelet/strap and system. As nice and thin as the bracelet is, and as beautiful as the C motif is, I think Czapek could take one step further in bracelet finishing. I understand that the sharpness of the links might have been what Czapek was going after, I still think all the facets of the links should have been chamfered a bit more. The edges are too sharp and too abrupt in my opinion.

Yes, that would create some issues as to how the bracelet matches with the design of the case, but I think some kind of aesthetic solution could be found. Perhaps a brushed chamfer might have worked. The interiors of the links could have used a polished chamfer at least for those who chose the polished/brushed link option (they rounded the inside parts of the links, but outside polished chamfering would have been nice), but in any case, I thought a little more refinement could have been done.

2. As good as the micro-adjust feature is, I think either 1/2 links should have been offered to really dial-in the fit, or have one intermediate step for each side of the micro-adjust. 1/2 links would really be nice.

3. The system that attaches the strap and bracelet to the case needs more refinement. What I mean is that when locked into place, both the bracelet, but especially the strap, has a lot of play or movement. I don't know if this is intentional, but I prefer a tighter integration between the bracelet/strap and the case. BTW, the play occurs at the top of the first "C" which is where the hook is located and which attaches to the bar on the case.

The locking mechanism makes sure the bracelet and strap do not fall off, but it feels loose.

This is a relatively minor thing. The looseness does make it easier for the bracelet to conform around the wrist. Those with wider wrists won't even notice as the bracelet will flare out, and the play will be minimal. That's how it feels on my wrist by the way.

4. Czapek should offer a calf-skin or leather strap option too, like VC does with the Overseas.

5. The clasp for the rubber strap does not have a micro-adjust. Since this type of strap requires it to be cut to size, once cut, there is no ability to fine-tune or adjust the size (i.e., like an Omega-style strap/deployant combination). I think a micro-adjust on the clasp would provide some leeway on where to cut your strap. This is a peace-of-mind kinda thing too as a mistake is a $1000 mistake.

6. The links are held in place by a hybrid screw/pin system. The screws just make sure the pins to not slip out. It's kind of a cap on top of the pin. I would have preferred an entire screw as the screw cap is tiny and would be hard to find if you dropped it. The system works, but it's kind of the worse of both worlds....a screw that might back out, and a pin system that requires you to push out the pin (need a tool for that).

I understand that watchmakers like Patek switched to pins and sleeves on the 5711/5811 because, according to them, if you have a thin bracelet, the type of screws you would need would be prone to stripping or would be so small as to lead to a greater chance of scratching the screw heads and/or bracelet. Not sure if that is true, but if it is, Czapek using screw caps on top of the pins, wouldn't exactly avoid that issue.

As I wear the watch on both bracelet and strap, I'll see if any more positives or negatives spring up.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, definitely spot on especially on having a micro adjust for the rubber option as well as the strap connectors being a bit loose (it feels like they are knocking against the case as well perhaps due to my smallish wrist).