The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2009, 03:13 PM   #331
Akira
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710RB, 14060M
The white will be my next one, I was thinking about Daytona, new GMT and others, but the Polar first!
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2009, 08:16 AM   #332
scrog10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 2c
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgs View Post
Nice thread going here! The Exp II Black dial was the very first Rolex to catch my attention. When I recently purchased my first and only Rolex, the Sub seemed to look better on my thick wrist...according to my wife. I still second guess my decision because I love the understated look of the Exp II.

Any of you out there with thicker wrists (7 1/2 +) wearing Exp IIs?
Yep that would be me. Around 7 1/2-7 3/4. I like the size and the smoothness of the Exp 2. Definatly more comfortable than my Breitling Chrono Avenger.
scrog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2009, 10:57 AM   #333
JeffCB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Exp 2 - Blk
Love my X-series Exp 2 Black Dial. It's as comfortable as my old Air King - despite the increased diameter and weight - and it feels solid as a rock. My wife (who has confiscated the Air King) likes it because it doesn't "look like a Rolex." True, if you're not a WIS, but not for those who know the brand. It is troubling to see (apparently) more and more fake EXP 2s coming out of China. Our firm does a lot of business in Shanghai and I see more fake Expy's every time we send a group over. My grail watch would be the McQueen.
JeffCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2009, 12:23 PM   #334
Blue Lantern
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79190
While wearing my Sub I sometimes miss the date. If I ever decide that I really need the date, I think I'd go with the black-dial Exp II. Great looking watch.
Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2009, 03:43 PM   #335
Montanan

Watch: Hamilton hunter
Howdy from Montana...
You all have a fine, diverse and passionate place here. Rolex deserves such a crowd, I'll agree. I'm new but I'm of like mind and personality when it comes to time pieces, so I bet I'll get along well.

I'm just getting the feel for this site, so I might be asking a dumb question...Is there some type of consensus concerning where a real chronograph type guy should send his real Rolex for top quality care?

I wore out the Seiko chrono. I purchased from PACEX while in asia in the early 70's just in time to be informed I would be going to in theater Desert Storm activity. So...I did the reasonable thing....I bought a Explorer 2 (SS, white dial, fliplock) after examining the Subs, Dwellers, GMTs, Daytonas. I still think it is the best for serious travelers to keep up with one other important zone in an instant.

Mine is a "daily driver" watch that got it's cleanings in the shower or OR scrub sink. I'd remove it to wear "fancy" vintage 21j selfwinders like Hamilton or my other fav...a Lord Elgin tank style manual. This Explorer 2 has indeed explored and came up looking good every time.

Now...at the 20 year mark....my old friend needs help. Only once has the back been off to get a cleaning and new gasket....about 10 years ago. I would unscrew the crown only one in a while (less than once a month) to adjust the time.....so, I don't think I abused my "in and out privilages", so to speak.

I thrilled that 1200usd wrist watch that I bought in 1990 has gone so far without issues...I like my other watches....but I "pine" for the SS bracelet. Even my wife is asking regarding its whereabouts (she is a habituee of a mid-size SS Omega Seamaster).

Sooooo. Please give me some good, non-biased, evidence based advice concerning my watchs care?

A brief www search turned up "Antique Time" in Medford, OR.....thoughts?

TIA mia

Mike
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2009, 05:43 PM   #336
SCD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCB View Post
My wife (who has confiscated the Air King) likes it because it doesn't "look like a Rolex."
That's why I got mine too.
SCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2009, 09:25 PM   #337
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I love the EX2!!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2009, 07:41 AM   #338
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
The Exp2's the best Rolex I've owned but doesn't the clasp drive you guys NUTS?!?
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2009, 09:26 AM   #339
AndersB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Sooooo. Please give me some good, non-biased, evidence based advice concerning my watchs care?
After such a long time, perhaps it deserves a trip to the Rolex Service Center?
AndersB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2009, 09:27 PM   #340
petespendthrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
The Exp2's the best Rolex I've owned but doesn't the clasp drive you guys NUTS?!?
No - as looks and feel can be deceptive. The old style clasp is about as simple and rugged as you can get - so perfect for a workhorse watch. My GMT2c with the new style clasp feels and looks wonderful but costs $800, is heavier and made up of dozens of small spring bars and fiddly bits that can wear out or fail. Light, simple and strong (and easily repairable/replaceable) are engineering virtues.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2009, 11:05 PM   #341
ergaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Exp II
Couldn't agree more - have only had mine 9 months but have already worn it away on fieldwork all over the Middle East including down some caves (annoyingly didn't get any good wrist shots as the flash just bleached everything). To date no one has clocked it as a Rolex and it's been worn with just a t-shirt in what some people would call very dodgy places (I just forget about it being there I'm not being blase or trying to be flash). The Exp II just quietly gets on with it and takes all the punishment you can throw at it. Personally was the only Rolex I ever wanted and have not regretted buying it once!
ergaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2009, 11:41 PM   #342
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Just bought...

Just bought this beauty from Naomi

http://www.ttwatches.com/en/searchWa...ge=1&602369776.

Wired the money and I can't wait to have it.

Love the colour of the indexes.

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2009, 06:08 AM   #343
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
No - as looks and feel can be deceptive. The old style clasp is about as simple and rugged as you can get - so perfect for a workhorse watch. My GMT2c with the new style clasp feels and looks wonderful but costs $800, is heavier and made up of dozens of small spring bars and fiddly bits that can wear out or fail. Light, simple and strong (and easily repairable/replaceable) are engineering virtues.
Well I'm a HUGE fan of the watch but my Explorer II was already on it's second clasp when I bought it & that had been 'pinched' to stop the clasp opening so I replaced it with a new one when I had the watch serviced by Rolex.
Fast forward a year or so & I had to get my own AD to 'pinch' the NEW clasp too so (with due respect) I beg to differ Sir.
Old 28 November 2009, 06:09 AM   #344
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post

Jack
Good for you dude...... wear it in good health always.
Old 28 November 2009, 06:19 AM   #345
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post

Jack
Good choice, Jack......hope you enjoy it as much as I am mine!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2009, 07:44 AM   #346
Nods

Watch: Rolex GMT SS
I know its an old post but your getting my 2 cents anyway. There is nothing wrong with the watch, mighty fine watch in fact. Why is it less desirable? The name is the problem. GMT sounds useful, pilots and people who travel are straight away keen. Submariner, short to the point, you dive or enjoy splashing around this is your watch. Explorer WTF, who explores these days? So I think poor marketing hurts the sales of what is a very fine watch.
Nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2009, 07:47 AM   #347
AWS
"TRF" Member

I love this thread! It's a big reason I have decided to return a Daytona SS white that I picked up last Friday and exchange it for the Polar Express. The Daytona is a super watch but I know the Exp II is one that I will wear frequently. It's unassuming which appeals to me.

Keep the posts and pics coming!
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2009, 12:39 PM   #348
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
I have to say, I'm not into the Exp II's very much. There's something too plain about them, I can't pinpoint it.
scl6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2009, 12:43 PM   #349
mrh1797
Banned

Watch: Love em' all!!
I really wanted a white dial and when I got it, it just didnt speak to me. I have it up for sale but am getting very little interest in it?? I dont understand why though? It is not an "ugly" watch by any stretch.....
mrh1797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 06:43 AM   #350
spuds
"TRF" Member

I often re-visit this thread simply for some of the great photo's of one of my favourite Rolex's!

... Can I just ask you guys though....

am I correct in thinking that the actual case of the Explorer II is slightly smaller than the other sport models although from 'bezel edge to bezel edge' it's actually slightly bigger??

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
Old 3 January 2010, 07:03 AM   #351
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I often re-visit this thread simply for some of the great photo's of one of my favourite Rolex's!

... Can I just ask you guys though....

am I correct in thinking that the actual case of the Explorer II is slightly smaller than the other sport models although from 'bezel edge to bezel edge' it's actually slightly bigger??
I revisit often too.

The following cases are identical: 16570, 16710, and with the exception of the cut out for the crown also the 16610, and 14060.

The difference is the bezel, that is 39 mm on the 16570, whilst it is 40 mm on the 16710 and the 16610. If I remember correctly the 14060 has a bezel with i slightly smaller diameter as well. (I might be wrong about this, have never measured a 14060).

The other difference is the thickness of the caseback, that is thicker on the Submariners.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 08:30 AM   #352
spuds
"TRF" Member

Thankyou.....
I think maybe the tapered bezel makes it look slightly smaller too.

Old 3 January 2010, 08:52 AM   #353
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
WOW!!! What a thread!! I am set up to buy an EXP II and Ladies TT DJ next week (30th Aniversary). I am buying from a local seller of nice Rolex's that carries all LNIB watches, serviced and with 2 yr warranty. Good guy, excelent watches and good prices.

My delima is that he has the Exp II in both black and white and I have to make a decision. I don't have a Black Sub or GMT, I want the EXPII, and can't decide which to do. I have a nice Ebel Sportwave TT with a white dial and am not into chrono's so the daytona is out. Some day I would also like to have a Sub but that's at least a year away. The Exp II fits my business casual wear so well.

What do I do???? Black or white?
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 08:58 AM   #354
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnsboy View Post
.... I don't have a Black Sub or GMT.... I have a nice Ebel Sportwave TT with a white dial .....

i think you've answered your own question friend......

GET'ER IN BLACK DUDE!!!!

Old 3 January 2010, 09:04 AM   #355
PacNW

Watch: Rolex DayDate
Five years and going strong, the ExpII is heading out the the sea with me once again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EXII.jpg (53.9 KB, 1175 views)
PacNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 09:49 AM   #356
Jolu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I/II
The low demand really is an enigma, concidering the marketing strategy of using the worlds most extreme "explorers" as Explorer wearers. Who wouldn't like to conquer Everest or take a stroll on the North Pole or Antarctica? I sure do...

The exotic speleologist angle seem to be buried, maybe some focus on the amazing world of cave exploring will boost the popularity?

No, the wanna-be deep sea divers and submarine captains win again.

I chose the black, with lug holes for strap use. Couldn't be happier. I don't understand the "stealth" argument though, the cyclops makes any radar beep like crazy. The Explorer I on the other hand, now that is a stealth watch!

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone -

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 03:57 AM   #357
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolu View Post
I don't understand the "stealth" argument though, the cyclops makes any radar beep like crazy.
That's why I performed a "Cyclopsectomy." I did not want a watch that shouted "ROLEX!".

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 04:58 AM   #358
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresiarh View Post
I picked up the EXP II as my first rolex over the submariner. I had the option of a GMT IIC also .. I went for the EXP II because of its sleekness and overall look. I'm loving every moment of it and never leaves my wrist.
Great choice For me te Explorer II is also my first Rolex(and till date my only...) and it was always the one I wanted most from the Rolex sport models with the seadweller as a close second, the only hard choice was choosing between a black and a white dial.
Some rescent pics of mine:

Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 05:14 AM   #359
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
i think you've answered your own question friend......

get'er in black dude!!!!
got'er in black dude!!!!

DSCN0611.jpg
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 05:22 AM   #360
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I also love the Ex2, comfort to wear and steel looks.
Black or white imho love them both equally .

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote