The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 October 2016, 10:03 PM   #331
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post

On a seperate note - have you guys seen shameonwrist on instagram. One of the best watch related instagram accounts!!
He's pretty funny, I like the Big McNautilus.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 11:10 PM   #332
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Bottom line is that collectors wanted a 5711P due to the limited production numbers of the 1st. Then how to you protect the original owners you have to change it a bit so you add the diamond batons and the add those dates to the dial. Both sort of make my food curdle but I bet once you see it in the metal it will be fine and understated. Ihave no doubt they will sell all of them. Not sure how they chose 700 but must be a reason!
My guess would be they had the regions go through their AD/client lists and put together a guesstimate of the allocation they'd be likely to sell through immediately. At that point I'd expect the total number was already much higher than what they had in mind for the platinum model so a lot of the slop over probably went into the WG. "I can't get you the platinum, but I was able to secure a WG slot."

Just a guess...
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 01:09 AM   #333
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Woof.

Still waiting for a 5990/1r to be released.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 01:31 AM   #334
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bottom line is that collectors wanted a 5711P due to the limited production numbers of the 1st. Then how to you protect the original owners you have to change it a bit so you add the diamond batons and the add those dates to the dial. Both sort of make my food curdle but I bet once you see it in the metal it will be fine and understated. Ihave no doubt they will sell all of them. Not sure how they chose 700 but must be a reason!
I agree with you here, Karl. When the 5711/1P was being produced in small numbers, many collectors wanted it. I suspect they were pilot testing it with a small number before their 40th Anniversary launch. Stern has mentioned in interviews that Patek plans their production several years in advance. With over 400 ADs, most AD will receive maybe one or two pieces, with the Salons receiving a larger allocation. I think it is a good strategy to include non-Salon ADs and their customers with an Anniversary piece allocation and not focus solely on Salon customers as they have done in the past with some of their LE releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only70Watch View Post
Sounds perfectly logical, but I would have changed it a bit more. For example, a gray dial would have differentiated the watch a lot more from the "old" 5711/1P than the current solution. Not to mention Patek seems to be over-using blue colour lately. 5524G, 5930G, 5327G, 5270G, and now these 2 new models. Gray dial works fine for other platinum models (5140P, 5146P, etc), so I'm sure a gray dial 5711 would look great too. IMHO a gray dial 5711/1P would have protected current 5711/1P owners slightly more, and maybe, just maybe it would have been more desirable too due to being more unique.
I agree that a gray dial would have been another option. They released a gray dial with Breguet numbers for the Annual Calendar 20th Anniversary. And it can work well in the AC or PC dress watches. However most Nautilus owners prefer the blue dial over the gray dial.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 03:42 AM   #335
soundserious
"TRF" Member

What is the market value now of the old 5711 in platinum? I would say 25% MORE after the anniversary announcement.
Old 7 October 2016, 04:00 AM   #336
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
What is the market value now of the old 5711 in platinum? I would say 25% MORE after the anniversary announcement.
I think one went for auction at about $150000 (HKD 1.1 mio)
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 04:23 AM   #337
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
don't think so and I'm sure it will drop
Some were sold with a nice premium because everybody thought they were discontinued and rare
Now that there are 700 extra I bet they will loose the premium

Only those that have the previous 5711P will probably disagree :-)

But let's be serious ... I'm a huge 5070 fan.
If the would release the 5070P with just a minor modification I am pretty sure it would drop too
Can you imagine ... 1000 extra 5070 P ... with an inscription on the dial. I don't care what inscription ... IT WOULD DEFINITELY LOOSE IT'S BIG PREMIUM

If they would make 40 or even 100 anniversary 5711P there wouldn't be much difference ... but with 700 ....
Its not a rare watch anymore
Old 7 October 2016, 04:28 AM   #338
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

If they would make 40 or even 100 anniversary 5711P there wouldn't be much difference ... but with 700 ....
Its not a rare watch anymore
Agree 100%
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 04:29 AM   #339
belligero
Banned

^
And just wait until folks start swapping the non-headstone 5711 dial into the 40th anniversary model to make it wearable. :)
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 05:28 AM   #340
kol
"TRF" Member

I agree 100%.

Kari
kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 05:48 AM   #341
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
^
And just wait until folks start swapping the non-headstone 5711 dial into the 40th anniversary model to make it wearable. :)
Good luck to obtain it from Patek
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 07:31 AM   #342
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
Good luck to obtain it from Patek
I'm sure that if you can get the platinum Nautilus, then the steel version is no problem. Switch dials and then you can wear the joke one as a beater. Win/win.
Old 7 October 2016, 12:24 PM   #343
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure that if you can get the platinum Nautilus, then the steel version is no problem. Switch dials and then you can wear the joke one as a beater. Win/win.
Haha! It is certainly possible, but I can't see any collector messing with the original dial of a Patek LE piece. It is not like swapping out a regular DJ dial for another one.
Old 8 October 2016, 04:22 AM   #344
Idonthavearolex
"TRF" Member

Diamonds I can deal with....that tombstone-esque date on the dial though, no thanks. Completely ruins it.

Awful.
Idonthavearolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 04:49 AM   #345
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Haha! It is certainly possible, but I can't see any collector messing with the original dial of a Patek LE piece. It is not like swapping out a regular DJ dial for another one.

It just seems that it's exactly like swapping out a DJ dial once you have both 5711 versions, though. It's a relatively-easy and completely-reversible switch, so no big deal even for a fastidious collector.

The thing is, I can't see that many serious collectors are going to be interested in these. Patek seems to be going for a more flashy and naïve clientele these days.
Old 8 October 2016, 04:55 AM   #346
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The thing is, I can't see that many serious collectors are going to be interested in these. Patek seems to be going for a more flashy and naïve clientele these days.

Interesting thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 05:49 AM   #347
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It just seems that it's exactly like swapping out a DJ dial once you have both 5711 versions, though. It's a relatively-easy and completely-reversible switch, so no big deal even for a fastidious collector.

I don't think it would be difficult swapping out dials as people do with a DJ dial swap. And many Rolex enthusiasts modify their watches for various reasons. But my impression is that Patek collectors who are allocated a LE piece like the 5711/1P are different from those who modify their Rolex watches. They want everything to be original about their watches. Now there may be "billionaires" who think $100K is just a drop in the bucket and modify Patek LE watches without considering re-sale value, but they are probably in the minority.
Old 8 October 2016, 06:10 AM   #348
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

May I make mistake but
The anniversary 5711 case is bigger than the standard so the dial will not fit
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 06:19 AM   #349
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I don't think it would be difficult swapping out dials as people do with a DJ dial swap. And many Rolex enthusiasts modify their watches for various reasons. But my impression is that Patek collectors who are allocated a LE piece like the 5711/1P are different from those who modify their Rolex watches. They want everything to be original about their watches. Now there may be "billionaires" who think $100K is just a drop in the bucket and modify Patek LE watches without considering re-sale value, but they are probably in the minority.
Of course; fair point.

I don't seriously think that any owners are going to do this. I'm just saying that it's not one of those idiotic modifications like getting the matte BBQ look from one of those chav-o watch-ruining companies such as Bamford; it's an easy 15-minute job for a competent watchmaker and can be undone just as quickly. (Of course, you'd have to swap the date wheel too, but as it's a slight improvement on the regular one's utter drabness, I'd just keep it as-is. )

But getting a 5711P without a silly dial technically just became a lot easier for anyone with the cash. Because 700 watches $100K is a lot when they look pretty much the same as the steel one, and I don't think Patek is going to be particularly discerning about who buys them. ;)
Old 8 October 2016, 06:25 AM   #350
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
May I make mistake but
The anniversary 5711 case is bigger than the standard so the dial will not fit
En fait, les deux sont pariels en taille.

It's the 5976 that has the ridiculous case diameter. :)
Old 8 October 2016, 06:48 AM   #351
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have to admit...I like them both...I may trade in my RG for one...I love the rose but it's so blingy it doesnt get wrist time.

I wish they did both of these in platinum...I prefer the chrono but love platinum...decisions decisions...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 07:00 AM   #352
Samui
Banned

LOL at officine Patek
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 08:55 AM   #353
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Of course; fair point.

I don't seriously think that any owners are going to do this. I'm just saying that it's not one of those idiotic modifications like getting the matte BBQ look from one of those chav-o watch-ruining companies such as Bamford; it's an easy 15-minute job for a competent watchmaker and can be undone just as quickly. (Of course, you'd have to swap the date wheel too, but as it's a slight improvement on the regular one's utter drabness, I'd just keep it as-is. )

But getting a 5711P without a silly dial technically just became a lot easier for anyone with the cash. Because 700 watches $100K is a lot when they look pretty much the same as the steel one, and I don't think Patek is going to be particularly discerning about who buys them. ;)
I really hope you own a host of Pateks because you are really wrong in many threads!! In this one Patek will care very much who they will sell to!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 09:08 AM   #354
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really hope you own a host of Pateks because you are really wrong in many threads!! In this one Patek will care very much who they will sell to!!

Yep. 50K non refundable deposit
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2016, 09:11 AM   #355
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Quote:
En fait, les deux sont pariels en taille.

It's the 5976 that has the ridiculous case diameter. :)
Isn't the 5711p new one bigger at 44mm?
Old 8 October 2016, 10:04 AM   #356
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Yep. 50K non refundable deposit
That's your AD not Patek.

I would laugh at a deposit.

Is your AD worried you'll back out?
Old 8 October 2016, 11:18 AM   #357
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
That's your AD not Patek.

I would laugh at a deposit.

Is your AD worried you'll back out?

It's Patek. All new app pieces req 50K deposit as of 10/1
Old 8 October 2016, 11:45 AM   #358
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's Patek. All new app pieces req 50K deposit as of 10/1
Hmmm...my AD didn't say that (will send him a text).

Interesting.

Do you have any documentation from PP to share?

Wonder why this new requirement--PP worried people will back out???

On a $75K or $100K piece that's quite a 'deposit'.
Old 8 October 2016, 11:53 AM   #359
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Just told by the AD. The other alternative is the AD could have credit issues with Patek. They wouldn't share that info with me obviously
Old 8 October 2016, 11:56 AM   #360
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just told by the AD. The other alternative is the AD could have credit issues with Patek. They wouldn't share that info with me obviously
Sounds like an AD requirement NOT PP