The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2015, 12:00 AM   #361
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, AP, and PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
That's an interesting perspective. In order for demand to keep up, there must be more and more wealthy people that can afford and want to buy a PP at the price PP wants to sell. Or prices must fall to drive demand which is what is happening.

Out of the 55,000 pieces, about 10,000 are ladies quartz? That still leaves 45,000 pieces for mechanical pieces in production which is more than AP, Lange and VC combined if I am not wrong.
I am afraid that the reality of the younger affluent generations are shying away from Patek. Aiming their collection towards Richard Mille, MB&F, and AP ROOs.
Kadhytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 12:08 AM   #362
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadhytia View Post
I am afraid that the reality of the younger affluent generations are shying away from Patek. Aiming their collection towards Richard Mille, MB&F, and AP ROOs.

I agree with this. The question is - what's Patek going to do about it? The 5960/1a is supposed to be sporty and appeal to a younger client, but I'm pretty sure many would still prefer an AP or RM. Perhaps their preferences are different in Asia and Europe?
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 12:10 AM   #363
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
I agree with this. The question is - what's Patek going to do about it? The 5960/1a is supposed to be sporty and appeal to a younger client, but I'm pretty sure many would still prefer an AP or RM. Perhaps their preferences are different in Asia and Europe?
In Asia, it's AP / PP and to a certain extent RM depending on age. They usually start with a AP ROO and when they gets older ( and richer ) then gradually move to Patek and sometimes RM. Patek Nautilus is very popular and much desired over here. At least that's the impression I got.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 12:29 AM   #364
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Noting the classical approach on Patek's advertisement materials, I figure they should at least target the younger generation. I dont mean product placement, but to diversify the media a little.
Old 17 February 2015, 02:17 AM   #365
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
That's an interesting perspective. In order for demand to keep up, there must be more and more wealthy people that can afford and want to buy a PP at the price PP wants to sell. Or prices must fall to drive demand which is what is happening.

Out of the 55,000 pieces, about 10,000 are ladies quartz? That still leaves 45,000 pieces for mechanical pieces in production which is more than AP, Lange and VC combined if I am not wrong.
I believe a growing number of wealthy Chinese are buying Patek watches more than ever. Compared to just a few years ago, more ADs around the world are hiring Chinese speaking sales people to cater to this growing group of collectors.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 07:21 PM   #366
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah.. Not sure about MB&F, this is one of those few brands that I rather buy pre-owned than brand new. Saw too many preowned in absolutely MINT condition at more than 50% off retail yet no buyer for them! ...

I bought my RM33 brand new from boutique and is the most comfortble watch I own. Very stealthy too. to RM.

James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 07:47 PM   #367
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Yeah.. Not sure about MB&F, this is one of those few brands that I rather buy pre-owned than brand new. Saw too many preowned in absolutely MINT condition at more than 50% off retail yet no buyer for them! ...

I bought my RM33 brand new from boutique and is the most comfortble watch I own. Very stealthy too. to RM.

James
That's the problem with indies, save for a few most don't hold values well, that's one of the biggest reason people don't buy indies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.jpg (68.0 KB, 831 views)
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 09:32 PM   #368
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
That's the problem with indies, save for a few most don't hold values well, that's one of the biggest reason people don't buy indies.
UR-210 my favorite urwerk.. Tried on the rose gold version.. Didn't close the deal cos Jane can't wear the watch comfortably.. I share my watches with my mrs so I only buy watches that she can wear comfortably too. Great wrist shot Tom! Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes to you on the coming CNY! 恭贺新禧!吉祥如意!
James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 09:51 PM   #369
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
UR-210 my favorite urwerk.. Tried on the rose gold version.. Didn't close the deal cos Jane can't wear the watch comfortably.. I share my watches with my mrs so I only buy watches that she can wear comfortably too. Great wrist shot Tom! Thank you for sharing!

James
Do you ?! How do they look ?Can t find such a scratched piece in my collection-incl. never polished vintage- as my wife s year old DJ

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 11:08 PM   #370
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:

James
Thanks James!
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 11:43 PM   #371
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

James
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 01:24 AM   #372
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
This makes it sound Patek may very well drop prices in the US by another smaller amount later in the year.... Yes I am happy with the decrease as I will save a couple grand on my 5711 this year. But this makes me a little nervous about buying a complicated Patek later this year (which has also been in the plans)......

I agree with you. I feel the same way. I have one incoming in two week but going for seconds is a bit scary. Maybe I should wait for end of year.

Cheers,
George
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 01:37 AM   #373
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Ben and the 5205R like yours with white dial is also a gorgeous reference and not a lot around either. In fact it is more legible than the hard to read black dial so I can see why one would prefer it. As I have said all along it isn't as if they are increasing production so those pieces that have been hard to source will stay hard to source... :
I agree. The 5205 that Ben has is simply stunning. So crisp and clean and very very easy to read.
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 11:51 AM   #374
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I share my Hublot Tourbillon with the Mrs as the strap is so easy to adjust but certainly none of the others although I do see her looking wistfully at my RMs from time to time!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 12:49 PM   #375
Makau
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5711
Pricing rumour

Quote:
Well 5131 now discontinued so off the table for currents. Clearly the ones with greatest demand are ones with smallest production and those are as follows regardless if you like them or not:

5980/1R and R, 5711, 5235, 5990, 5205R black, 5960/1A, 5167, 5164, Anniversary pieces, etc. Again as Myo and I have stated more serious collectors remain focused on earlier and higher demand retired pieces. I again think the market for vintage and those pieces will continue to grow. There is so much information out there for us all so doing homework very important!

Main thing is to buy what you love and will enjoy regardless of anything else!

Fantastic info. Thanks Ken. Your knowledge and insight are huge assets to the forum.
Makau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 02:46 AM   #376
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Walked in to an AD they said 9% not 7% decrease. I am confused now.
Old 1 March 2015, 03:19 AM   #377
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Walked in to an AD they said 9% not 7% decrease. I am confused now.
They are wrong it is 7% without a doubt no need to be confused they are.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 04:10 AM   #378
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are wrong it is 7% without a doubt no need to be confused they are.
Thanks for the clarification again.
Old 1 March 2015, 07:14 AM   #379
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
Was asking my local ,yesterday ,,, no price reduction whatsoever ,,, in fact i think the price has risen , a 5167
€18700 ,,,,,,,
As for a 5711 i asked for one in 3 years time , and i was told he would keep them for regular customers
So basically he told me he would never sell one to me !!!!!
irish john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 07:17 AM   #380
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
Was asking my local ,yesterday ,,, no price reduction whatsoever ,,, in fact i think the price has risen , a 5167
€18700 ,,,,,,,
As for a 5711 i asked for one in 3 years time , and i was told he would keep them for regular customers
So basically he told me he would never sell one to me !!!!!
Europe had 7% price increase. Go back and read earlier in thread and you can see which countries had increase and decrease.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 March 2015, 07:44 PM   #381
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
€18700
The list price after the recent increase for a 5167 in Germany is now 16410 EUR, my AD confirmed this a few days ago. Maybe your AD was talking about the bracelet version?
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 07:19 AM   #382
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

AD in NJ confirmed to me that the 5167a with rubber strap dropped from $20,300 to $18,900. He told that Patek did not give him any price adjustment on his inventory. He was willing to discount.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 08:01 AM   #383
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
AD in NJ confirmed to me that the 5167a with rubber strap dropped from $20,300 to $18,900. He told that Patek did not give him any price adjustment on his inventory. He was willing to discount.
Inventory bought and paid for and they took 7% hit here as well. Problem is many AD's have glut of tough to move pieces and they need to move them through to end user. As I say Patek is a tale of two cities and unfortunately for most AD's they have lots of the wrong ones. Tough pieces to get will stay tough pieces to get and hopefully Patek can move this glut of watches and get back to business. I feel they are and have been off target so hopefully they get back on track. I am afraid though that the very best days are behind and not ahead.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2015, 08:17 AM   #384
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Inventory bought and paid for and they took 7% hit here as well. Problem is many AD's have glut of tough to move pieces and they need to move them through to end user. As I say Patek is a tale of two cities and unfortunately for most AD's they have lots of the wrong ones. Tough pieces to get will stay tough pieces to get and hopefully Patek can move this glut of watches and get back to business. I feel they are and have been off target so hopefully they get back on track. I am afraid though that the very best days are behind and not ahead.
I think Patek are still producing some great watches 5131 (until recently), 5711, 5980/1r, 5235 and 5960 to name a few. I hear you though re the 5970 and 5070 and I do hope Patek can capture the hearts and minds of big collectors again in the future.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 08:31 AM   #385
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I think Patek are still producing some great watches 5131 (until recently), 5711, 5980/1r, 5235 and 5960 to name a few. I hear you though re the 5970 and 5070 and I do hope Patek can capture the hearts and minds of big collectors again in the future.
You just named all ones from the tale of the right city.

Lots of misses though and I think the 175th for most part spoke to that. Just one guys opinion but what do I know.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2015, 08:43 AM   #386
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
You just named all ones from the tale of the right city.

Lots of misses though and I think the 175th for most part spoke to that. Just one guys opinion but what do I know.
Also all ones (apart from 5131) from your amazing collection
I've been meaning to ask - how do you view the 5990? You've had it a few months but you don't seem to talk about it.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 09:02 AM   #387
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Also all ones (apart from 5131) from your amazing collection
I've been meaning to ask - how do you view the 5990? You've had it a few months but you don't seem to talk about it.
Nice watch but when I put on SS Nautilus I always reach for the 5711. I have my go to watches and they vary depending on my taste. I usually like wearing 5970, 5070 and now 5110 to work as I tend to dress up and they just work. Thanks too my friend!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2015, 11:35 AM   #388
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Are AD's required to keep a certain amount on hand in inventory? Would that be a reason for hard to move pieces, other than just not any interest in them?
Old 2 March 2015, 12:19 PM   #389
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Are AD's required to keep a certain amount on hand in inventory? Would that be a reason for hard to move pieces, other than just not any interest in them?
They have to take the bad to get the good! So more inventory they take better pieces they will get my friend.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2015, 12:26 PM   #390
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
They have to take the bad to get the good! So more inventory they take better pieces they will get my friend.
Makes sense