The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 November 2023, 11:24 AM   #5851
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
None of those circuits have a grade 1 approval rating - only if the organizer made new modifications would FIA give them one. Indy would have the least work to do - but Penske has zero interest in the circus.

I understand about the optics of street circuits in general. It’s interesting how many new GP events have been added using a street circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good catch. I've never raced on any of those circuits ("best" track I've raced at was The Ridge in Washington); I assumed with all of the sports car racing that goes on at those tracks, they'd be up to par. F1 demands its own level of surface perfection, though. I redact my suggestions, counselor. Maybe you can start a GoFundMe for Road America!

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 12:12 PM   #5852
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

+1 with Steve, how about a twilight race so a great balance of natural and artificial lighting.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 12:26 PM   #5853
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
None of those circuits have a grade 1 approval rating - only if the organizer made new modifications would FIA give them one. Indy would have the least work to do - but Penske has zero interest in the circus.

I understand about the optics of street circuits in general. It’s interesting how many new GP events have been added using a street circuit.

Indy GP course is grade one.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...ia20230417.pdf

Why would Penske not want a F1 race?
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 12:37 PM   #5854
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Verstappen's 5 second penalty for his first corner push out on Leclerc was soft by the stewards.
I think most people felt the same way while watching live.

An “in-race” time penalty based on driving standards is one of the more difficult one for the Stewards.

First, they must determine if it was an infringement at all - based upon the video, the data, and the sporting code.

Then, for the penalty, consider if there were mitigating or aggravating circumstances.

The penalty tables for a “run of the mill” Appx. L driving infraction (like this one) is 5 seconds.

If aggravating circumstances existed then, in ascending order:
•10 seconds, or
•Drive-thru, or
•Stop&go +10 seconds, or
•Grid spots at next race (if he DNFs).

I didn’t see any dangerous move so the 5 seconds was expected. By the time it was decided, VER had a 2.5s gap. But LEC passed VER just before first pitch stops. Then RBR served the 5 seconds.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 12:45 PM   #5855
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk65 View Post
Indy GP course is grade one.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...ia20230417.pdf

Why would Penske not want a F1 race?

I did grab the wrong config - thanks.
The 3.91km is G2
The 4.19km is G1

It’s not going to happen unless MIA or COTA stop organizing GPs.
LV has 9 more years to go.

US isn’t going to get a 4th GP, IMHO.

Old 20 November 2023, 06:22 PM   #5856
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So you're saying he'll be without bias for any one team, perfect! Next year's LV race would be perfect for Kimi being at the track reporting

Attachment 1403472
As the great Valentino Rossi once said; "its never too dark, to be cool".
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 11:39 PM   #5857
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
As the great Valentino Rossi once said; "its never too dark, to be cool".
Yup. Kimi may be the very last we'll ever see of what was once a great sport.

As many of us realize, F1 is now so very polished and commercialized that what was at one time a great sporting series has now dwindled to the lowest common form of typical modern Sports Entertainment. But to be fair for their ownership, F1's perceived value has never been better, so as 'weighed' in profits, i guess that's all that matters.

And to be fair, it is entertaining, and even my wife is 'sold' on this new Pop Star polish. Like BTS meets Swifties.

Maybe Taylor Swift will become an F1 guest commentator? Liberty Media would welcome it
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 November 2023, 12:57 AM   #5858
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Ahh...the great days when people turned up, to watch the race, not the lightshow, the parade of so called celeb's or the fireworks.
Not that it matters a jot, but I wonder, apart from Mr Ross Brawn, who, at liberty media, would have the faintest idea, where this wonderful track is?
F1 has sold its soul, and I'll not be tuning in to watch any further nonsense, this after 60 years of 'support'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 417970B400000578-0-image-a-2_1497630200761.jpg (270.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 21 November 2023, 01:14 AM   #5859
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Steve, we're obviously not Liberty Media's targeted demographic. And that's OK, times do change. Though agree with you Steve, have a feeling i won't be renewing my F1TV subscription in the future. Makes no sense to bother with F1 considering there are so many other truly excellent and exceptional racing series live-streamed nowadays to watch.

F1 won't miss us at all... and we won't miss them.

It'll be wonderful for us to support an auto racing series where the racing is at the forefront, not as an F1 side hustle for a commercial entertainment spectacle.

Old 21 November 2023, 01:28 AM   #5860
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
F1 Las Vegas = Modern Day s#@t show

Screw F1 !!
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 02:58 AM   #5861
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
The Official Formula One Thread!

I’m an avid Formula one fan, have been since a child watching with my dad listening to Murray Walker.

My stag do was Silverstone 2008 in the rain. I’ve had boys trips to Spa camping and even had a VVVVIP trip to Barcelona watching the race alongside Sky Italia in a team Motorhome.

I’ve had the honour of driving Yas Marina in the FIA safety car. One of my “life’s greatest moments”

Truly magical memories.

Like others have said, I’ve simply fallen out of love with the sport.

The Lewis/Max Yas Marina debacle was the turning point for me that started the decline.

Will F1 care, of course not but it makes me very sad.

F1, alongside football (I’m from Liverpool where football is a Religion) was my favourite sport in the world where I idolised the people I saw on TV, the tech, the glamour.

I tuned in at the weekend to watch LV out of interest but the cost of entry, the focus on celebrity it’s all just noise. And there’s me thinking F1 lacked noise

Even Monaco allows for cheap seats!

Formula one should have enough space for die hard fans alongside rich and famous fans. How is a hard working lower income person supposed to take their young son/daughter to watch a GP with those reported prices. Criminal.

No rants, no anger just sadness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 03:48 AM   #5862
77T

How did anyone expect LV to be anything but LV. The run-up had all the exxxcessses one should have expected.

A thought…or thoughts from the book:
”Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas…. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run… but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant.…”

Maybe it should have been required reading before anyone took it too seriously.

If you went, then you have been a part of it.

Old 21 November 2023, 04:44 AM   #5863
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Not that it matters a jot, but I wonder, apart from Mr Ross Brawn, who, at liberty media, would have the faintest idea, where this wonderful track is?
Hockenheimring?

Honestly, I would highly consider a TRF trip to Montreal next year. What's better than poutine & platinum DayDates? (I can only afford one at the moment)

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 05:34 AM   #5864
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
I’m an avid Formula one fan, have been since a child watching with my dad listening to Murray Walker.

My stag do was Silverstone 2008 in the rain. I’ve had boys trips to Spa camping and even had a VVVVIP trip to Barcelona watching the race alongside Sky Italia in a team Motorhome.

I’ve had the honour of driving Yas Marina in the FIA safety car. One of my “life’s greatest moments”

Truly magical memories.

Like others have said, I’ve simply fallen out of love with the sport.

The Lewis/Max Yas Marina debacle was the turning point for me that started the decline.

Will F1 care, of course not but it makes me very sad.

F1, alongside football (I’m from Liverpool where football is a Religion) was my favourite sport in the world where I idolised the people I saw on TV, the tech, the glamour.

I tuned in at the weekend to watch LV out of interest but the cost of entry, the focus on celebrity it’s all just noise. And there’s me thinking F1 lacked noise

Even Monaco allows for cheap seats!

Formula one should have enough space for die hard fans alongside rich and famous fans. How is a hard working lower income person supposed to take their young son/daughter to watch a GP with those reported prices. Criminal.

No rants, no anger just sadness.

Some truly magical moments for sure.. I too have a few, my first to Monaco, then Silverstone on in inside paddack and meeting up with Nigel Mansell, Ayrton Senna and Jackie Stewart...and Nigel again when he raced in Vancouver Indy...
I too as you mentioned along with others, have fallen out of love with F1. After decades of being a die hard F1'er..I'll now only catch some shorts on updates of a race, just to keep in touch...
Oh well, - that life, I suspect will prevail into the future at some venues......

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 06:02 AM   #5865
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
I too as you mentioned along with others, have fallen out of love with F1. After decades of being a die hard F1'er..I'll now only catch some shorts on updates of a race, just to keep in touch...
Oh well, - that life, I suspect will prevail into the future at some venues......
Bingo !

Old 21 November 2023, 07:18 AM   #5866
jatco

Just mulling this around in my head a bit and I can't think of any venue on the F1 circuit that is or has become such a 'show' as in Vegas. Slapped together in such a flurry, imo, to get on the schedule ASAP to lure the big bucks.
Not my F1.

Old 21 November 2023, 07:21 AM   #5867
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just mulling this around in my head a bit and I can't think of any venue on the F1 circuit that is or has become such a 'show' as in Vegas. Slapped together in such a flurry, imo, to get on the schedule ASAP to lure the big bucks.
Not my F1.

Doesn’t Miami have a fake marina ?

Old 21 November 2023, 07:24 AM   #5868
jatco

Quote:

Oh yeah..forgot about Mia.. - ha..both 'splashy' (pun) venues in the US.

Old 21 November 2023, 07:30 AM   #5869
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:
Oh yeah..forgot about Mia.. - ha..both 'splashy' (pun) venues in the US.

I just don’t understand why they needed 3 races ?

Every other country has managed F1 successfully with 1.

Austin looks a fantastic track and has earned its place on the calendar fair and square without the gimmicks.

Old 21 November 2023, 08:01 AM   #5870
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Hockenheimring?
Brands
Old 21 November 2023, 08:31 AM   #5871
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
We ate dinner last night and sat next to a couple with comped tickets to the race. They stayed for 10 laps and left.

However, the dinner we were at had no menu and no price. You just got a bill at the end.

Talking with them about their gambling I was like ok… these guys are insane.

So there was a mix of people for sure. In my section we met a group of Canadian fans who all came out here for the race, big F1 fans and they loved it even though they got kicked out on Friday am.

I think the next one we go to might be Montreal or Monte Carlo and it will be a while before we go to Vegas again. We’d need to get a really good deal like comped rooms or tickets or both.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 08:33 AM   #5872
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At least on TV Miami came off as trashier I think. I haven’t been, but if I wasn’t going this Feb I would consider it in the future.
Old 21 November 2023, 08:37 AM   #5873
codecow
"TRF" Member

One final thought on LV, there were a lot of Sergio fans in the audience. Every time he did anything our grandstands erupted and you could hear the ones from the paddock slightly after at a lower volume. Mexican flags and Mexican fans everywhere, they came out for this race. Probably some crossover with boxing fans who go to LV.

Very cool to see all the people from around the world who came out.
Old 21 November 2023, 09:07 AM   #5874
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
I just don’t understand why they needed 3 races ?

Every other country has managed F1 successfully with 1.

Austin looks a fantastic track and has earned its place on the calendar fair and square without the gimmicks.

Italy has 2 races. Germany had 2 races and those countries are much smaller in terms of land mass and population. Does the US "need" 3 races? No, but the Netflix "Drive to Survive" series has elevated F1 in the US to incredible popularity, so as the saying goes, "strike while the iron is hot" and cultivate that market. This will not last and ultimately, the number will be paired down to 2 and perhaps 1 in time.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 09:14 AM   #5875
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
We ate dinner last night and sat next to a couple with comped tickets to the race. They stayed for 10 laps and left.

However, the dinner we were at had no menu and no price. You just got a bill at the end.

Talking with them about their gambling I was like ok… these guys are insane.

So there was a mix of people for sure. In my section we met a group of Canadian fans who all came out here for the race, big F1 fans and they loved it even though they got kicked out on Friday am.

I think the next one we go to might be Montreal or Monte Carlo and it will be a while before we go to Vegas again. We’d need to get a really good deal like comped rooms or tickets or both.
We haven't done Montreal yet and probably won't since our 'enthusiasm' has waned and doubt we'll do another F1 trip if at all, but we've done Monaco twice, (plus a cruise port stop) and both were awesome without the Vegas hoopla. More refined group of people. I'd rather spend my coin on Monaco or other European venue than on Vegas. Just my $.02 worth...

Old 21 November 2023, 09:15 AM   #5876
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

What's the attraction there? Is it just for people who like to gamble?
Old 21 November 2023, 10:48 AM   #5877
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
There was not a lot of atmosphere generated by supporters, it seemed like the race was being held in dead silence. I think I would like it more if it was a daytime race or even late afternoon.
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that basic tickets were $2000 each, and that most people there didn't have the foggiest idea about F1 outside of Netflix. Hopefully the hype will die down a bit, they will ratchet back a bit on the gouging (say to Miami prices even?) and maybe you might get some more energy in the stands. But jacked up room prices, jacked up tickets and everything else means you end up with a different demographic.

Vegas is Vegas and it was exactly what I would have expected, Michael Buffer and all. Not for me though. I will fly to Europe of Montreal once a year to watch a race.
SMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 11:32 AM   #5878
jatco

Vegas and Mia would be the last venues on my bucket list. Got better places to go.

Old 21 November 2023, 01:45 PM   #5879
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
What's the attraction there? Is it just for people who like to gamble?
For my wife and I, we wanted to try what a no limits omakase would be like. So there is no price, it’s whatever…. You just agree to do it and that’s what it is.
Old 21 November 2023, 01:49 PM   #5880
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We haven't done Montreal yet and probably won't since our 'enthusiasm' has waned and doubt we'll do another F1 trip if at all, but we've done Monaco twice, (plus a cruise port stop) and both were awesome without the Vegas hoopla. More refined group of people. I'd rather spend my coin on Monaco or other European venue than on Vegas. Just my $.02 worth...
We considered doing Monaco with Silversea cruises. They do one for ~$17k for two people but they didn’t 100% guarantee you get race tickets. I was like um what’s the point if they can’t guarantee it?

At least in Vegas through a casino you are guaranteed tickets.

For Montreal I’d try to get into any Rolex hospitality suite. Have gotten in for Laguna Seca before.

I agree with you that the European races are a better value especially if you can get free business class over there. I think I have enough Aivos now for a couple of tickets.