The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2023, 05:19 PM   #5881
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Italy has 2 races. Germany had 2 races and those countries are much smaller
Happy to be corrected here but pre Covid crazy times didn’t Italy only have 1 race per season and Germany used to alternate because they couldn’t afford to host it each year ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 10:45 PM   #5882
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Happy to be corrected here but pre Covid crazy times didn’t Italy only have 1 race per season and Germany used to alternate because they couldn’t afford to host it each year ?

Imola was on the calendar with Monza for a very long time. It was only more recently that Imola was taken off calendar to make room for new venues. Germany did have 2 and then alternated venues as you stated, when the promoters could no longer afford two races. The rise of 2 races in Germany coincided with the popularity the sport experienced due to the success of Michael Schumacher. When he was no longer winning championships, the popularity in Germany declined.

As you mentioned, Covid brought back Imola, Turkey and Mugello, which is typically a MotoGP track, but what a track! The drivers were physically challenged with the neck stretching T1 and super high speeds. As a fan of both MotoGp and F1, it was incredible to see both at that track, but I digress.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 05:51 AM   #5883
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Imola was on the calendar with Monza for a very long time. It was only more recently that Imola was taken off calendar to make room for new venues. Germany did have 2 and then alternated venues as you stated, when the promoters could no longer afford two races. The rise of 2 races in Germany coincided with the popularity the sport experienced due to the success of Michael Schumacher. When he was no longer winning championships, the popularity in Germany declined.

As you mentioned, Covid brought back Imola, Turkey and Mugello, which is typically a MotoGP track, but what a track! The drivers were physically challenged with the neck stretching T1 and super high speeds. As a fan of both MotoGp and F1, it was incredible to see both at that track, but I digress.

Your memory is far better than mine but that all sounds spot on !

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 11:25 PM   #5884
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Ferrari to not compete in Abu Dhabi? Using that leverage to seek compensation and perhaps a rule change in the future. If driver salaries and catering can be excluded, then why not car damage when there was no fault by the team or driver?

Speaking to media, Vasseur shed a light on the scale of damage caused by the unsecured manhole cover. He said: “The loom was damaged, the gearbox was damaged, the battery was damaged, the engine is dead.”

Considering the destruction was a result of the track itself as supposed to human error, Ferrari are seeking compensation for the repair costs to Sainz’ car. The team have revealed that they will hold talks with Las Vegas Grand Prix organisers to reach some sort of agreement.

Vasseur continued: “This will be a private discussion that I will have with the stakeholders of this event.”

“There is no provision into the budget or cost cap, for excluding the crashes. For sure you have a lot of extra costs… We have a lot of consequences on the financial side, on the sporting side, and even on the stock of spare parts, and on the budget side for sure it’s not an easy one.”

The Ferrari boss says that there is a risk they may have to miss the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to stay on the right side of the cost cap budget.
Old 24 November 2023, 06:32 AM   #5885
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Vasseur must be kidding…

But he wont be cursing…

Neither will Toto

Here’s the transcript to judge for yourself.

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/a...kvhPDpG6e.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 08:30 AM   #5886
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
...Too much 'politics' and pussy-footing . . That's one of the reasons I've lost my interest like I used to have.....

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 09:27 AM   #5887
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Let's cut to the interview for more....

maxre)_edited.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 09:33 AM   #5888
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Let's cut to the interview for more....

Attachment 1404248
\/ ... That, seems to be the trend...!!

Old 24 November 2023, 12:15 PM   #5889
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Lemme tell ya something mean Gene! Anything that helps Mercedes hold in place is fine with me.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 05:40 PM   #5890
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Vegas and Mia would be the last venues on my bucket list. Got better places to go.
Never been to the US, but those 2 are definitely not on my list.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 08:21 PM   #5891
77T

Pato O’Ward is in FP1 for McLaren. Good to see.

Old 24 November 2023, 09:52 PM   #5892
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Neither will Toto
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 11:17 PM   #5893
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

To be fair, there could be two options provided there's will and desire. Teams leave F1 for a newfound racing league (and this has been brought up in the past). This could free teams from certain limitations F1 imposes into a new Racing League. The Teams would have a stronger 'voice', while also benefitting from a higher percentage of race series profits.

Another factor is if the FIA decided they've had enough of the F1 Sports Entertainment Franchise, as there is an abundance of racing nowadays, and so the FIA could expand to a series that focuses on racing.

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 25 November 2023, 06:50 AM   #5894
77T

Wondering if Yas Marina will get a Vasseur bill for the bump in the track that put SAI out in P2?

:sarcasm:

Old 25 November 2023, 07:24 AM   #5895
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Yea with Carlos' latest shunt, it certainly doesn't bode well for a position on lack of funds to continue on.

Toto being Toto with his comment on the last time he was called into the office for language he was 12 years old. Toto must have been a wonderful school boy.
Old 25 November 2023, 07:59 AM   #5896
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Never been to the US, but those 2 are definitely not on my list.
If you are coming to the US for a GP, Austin is the one to watch. The track is world-class IMO & yields actually good racing. The BBQ in Austin is unparalleled if you're into that. Vegas is a dusty, meth-filled, cigarette-stale wasteland with a street circuit down the middle.

Very interested in seeing how the Ferrari power play pans out.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 11:06 PM   #5897
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Final (exhibition) race of the year. I've heard F1's Net Zero Carbon programme will be greatly eliminating teams' private air travel for the 2024 season. Am sure the FIA and Liberty Media know their current massive carbon emissions must be reduced to show F1 as a shining example of what is possible. This will also benefit overworked air traffic controllers and airports from having to divert the hundreds of F1 private aircraft to other destinations for parking.

Yacht travel will also be accounted for of course.

Will post more details in a few weeks.

Old 26 November 2023, 11:50 PM   #5898
77T

With apologies to Wm. Shakespeare…

In retrospect all things reveal’d…

In the grandstand of the F1 racing sphere,
Three drivers famed, VER, LEC and HAM do appear.
VER, with his dominance so clear,
Leaves his opponents trembling in fear.

Poor LEC, caught in strategy's snare,
His team’s decisions often unclear.
A season of woes, a year of despair,
His car often tardy to the finish line’s glare.

HAM, once a legend, a champ so bright,
Now stumbles, his skills not quite right.
His team puzzled, thinking it might,
Be the sunset of his glorious flight.

So here's to the racers, in their fast cars so sleek,
May their engines roar and their victories peak.

And PER?
…there is always next year!

Old 26 November 2023, 11:58 PM   #5899
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Final (exhibition) race of the year. I've heard F1's Net Zero Carbon programme will be greatly eliminating teams' private air travel for the 2024 season. Am sure the FIA and Liberty Media know their current massive carbon emissions must be reduced to show F1 as a shining example of what is possible. This will also benefit overworked air traffic controllers and airports from having to divert the hundreds of F1 private aircraft to other destinations for parking.

Yacht travel will also be accounted for of course.

Will post more details in a few weeks.
F1 might take a cue from corporate polluters…buy carbon credits from the unprofitable global companies. That, and buy up all of Sweden’s forests to capture carbon and yield O2 offsets.

Win-Win-Win

Old 27 November 2023, 12:06 AM   #5900
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like a logical accounting plan.

Truly do look forward to the new rules. Heard that two new F1 planes will take all F1 teams / staff / FIA to events (that need to be flown to arrive). Miss the planes, miss the race (or use one of the team's allotted five private aircraft / yacht usage per year)

It'll showcase F1's organizational skills too.

Old 27 November 2023, 03:25 AM   #5901
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Well, it was an interesting race :)

The Championship results changed so often, it was even hard to follow. At the end, less then 1.5 sec decided between Mercedes and Ferrari, and even that was not depended on them, but on Red Bull :)

Also, how epic is, that Ham lost a position here AGAIN(!) in the last lap - it won't be his most loved race track, that is for sure. It worth to mention the strategies, Maybe LEC was a little bit late to help PER, but what Ferrari did again with Sainz, it was a disaster. They have been lost the 2nd position because of this awful strategy :(

Also, another epic thing that MAX was in his 1000th leading position when he won the race. Now he is the 3rd in the all time race winners league. And, morover, Max would have been won the entire Team championship alone, which is something, that I think was never happened before.

And, it worth to mention the most important result for me:

FLYALONSO became the 4th in the championship, which is a very well deserved, and fantastic result from this legend! Congratulations! :)
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 12:55 PM   #5902
codecow
"TRF" Member

Let’s not forget Yuki won the voting for driver of the day. He couldn’t pull off P6 but a great result for him.
Old 28 November 2023, 01:59 PM   #5903
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Let’s not forget Yuki won the voting for driver of the day. He couldn’t pull off P6 but a great result for him.
I'm glad Yuki got it this week, but the Driver of the Day voting is a bit of a joke. Last week Leclerc won DotD when he started from pole and finished 2nd. How is that great driving? At the same race, Checo started 11th and finished 3rd.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 09:35 PM   #5904
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Thank god the season of torture is over...here is to next year and hopefully a few teams can close the gap to RB.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 03:18 AM   #5905
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Thank god the season of torture is over...here is to next year and hopefully a few teams can close the gap to RB.
Amen to that. ..

Old 29 November 2023, 10:32 AM   #5906
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I'm glad Yuki got it this week, but the Driver of the Day voting is a bit of a joke. Last week Leclerc won DotD when he started from pole and finished 2nd. How is that great driving? At the same race, Checo started 11th and finished 3rd.
Oh it’s definitely a joke, but when my guy wins I have to like it!
Old 7 December 2023, 06:32 AM   #5907
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Jean Alesi at his best was a spectacular driver. Yes, I've always been a fan so I'm probably not objective.

He almost won at Phoenix 1990 with a Tyrrell and shocked the world.

Sure he got spanked by Prost at Ferrari 1991 but then again Prost beat five world champion teammates (Senna, Lauda, K.Rosberg, Hill and Mansell) during his career. That's not a thing to be ashamed of.

Yes, Alesi made a lot of reckless mistakes and let emotions affect his driving too much.

No way I think he was at Hamilton/Hakkinen/Schumacher/Alonso level but he had huge potential and deserved much more than just one win. He wasted his best years in a non-competitive Ferrari because once again he let his emotions decide and chose Ferrari instead of making a contract with winning constructor Williams (that contract was offered to him).

What do you think?

Great video.

Old 7 December 2023, 07:40 AM   #5908
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
And by the way... all classic F1 fans. This is a treasure. Just found it recently. It has boatloads of old F1 races from BBC. Murray Walker and James Hunt are the commentators.

I watch one race every day. Superb channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@StevenDallas-to4in
Old 9 December 2023, 05:18 AM   #5909
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

FIA EoY Ceremony is now live... hope you're there Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/live/gDImWvhkVTE

Old 9 December 2023, 10:02 AM   #5910
77T

And ALO won the “Action of the Year” for his overtake of PER on final lap of the Sao Paulo Grand Prix as the most exciting moment of them all…and that’s across all FIA racing programs.

https://x.com/fia/status/17332204798...m8_Nccjhib7a5Q