The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 May 2024, 02:09 AM   #31
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
No sympathy here.
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 03:38 AM   #32
juwhang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
In a way it’s lucky that this happened because had Rolex bought your watch off eBay to see which AD sold it to someone who immediately flipped it your AD would have gotten dinged and you’d be on the blacklist.

I know you gave your reasons but I still would have sold the grey market watch and kept the one from the AD. Besides down the road if you needed service or had a warranty problem you don’t think your AD wouldn’t notice your serial number was “wrong” when they go to send your grey market sub in for repairs and the numbers don’t match your purchase record?

That or I would have done exactly what I did with my AD when I was waiting for a James Cameron and got offered one as a walk in on vacation. I went to my SA, was very straight up and told him I didn’t want to buy a duplicate watch just to flip it so could I please move my interest to another model. He was appreciative of my honesty, and got me my BLNR as my next piece from him because he knew I wouldn’t flip it and risk giving them a black eye with Rolex.
All fair points. From my post history, I’m obviously not so privy to how all of this works, ie waitlist with Rolex and best approach. When I received the call for the sub, the tone seemed like I’d miss out on the datejust if I didn’t take the sub. It was really, really awkward.

Situation now is that I have both subs. Wife is taking the new sub and removed myself from the waitlist for the datejust. Not on the waitlist for any other watches.

Fascinating to see some of the other comments. I get that my actions annoy the super enthusiasts. The process is extremely broken and I’ll definitely not go back on the list which y’all will be glad to hear.

eBay refunded me for damages to the watch. Again, speaking outside of all this woke waitlist mentality, eBay’s authentication partner is shady and should be careful as a buyer and seller.
juwhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 03:44 AM   #33
juwhang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk4s83 View Post
You're right, you're not a flipper, you're a scalper.
How hard was to tell AD the truth? The wait was taking years so you decided to move on and bought pre-ceramic sub. You love and want to keep it, but you're still interested in Datejust for your wife. There was literally nothing wrong about it. If anything, AD would have appreciated you being honest and transparent. Instead you decided to make some easy money, listed and sold the watch for $4050 over MSRP (it's not that hard to find your listing at ebay). Hope your AD blacklists you and never sells you anything again. People like you are exactly the reason why Rolex market is jacked up and true watch enthusiasts can't get any watches. Ironically you are the reason why you had to wait 3.5 years for your Sub.
Fair points. Won’t argue. Impressed you found it.
Old 17 May 2024, 03:56 AM   #34
juwhang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk4s83 View Post
You're right, you're not a flipper, you're a scalper.
How hard was to tell AD the truth? The wait was taking years so you decided to move on and bought pre-ceramic sub. You love and want to keep it, but you're still interested in Datejust for your wife. There was literally nothing wrong about it. If anything, AD would have appreciated you being honest and transparent. Instead you decided to make some easy money, listed and sold the watch for $4050 over MSRP (it's not that hard to find your listing at ebay). Hope your AD blacklists you and never sells you anything again. People like you are exactly the reason why Rolex market is jacked up and true watch enthusiasts can't get any watches. Ironically you are the reason why you had to wait 3.5 years for your Sub.
Fair points. Def won’t go back on the waitlist. Was my first time on the list and my intuition was I’d probably lose my chance on the datejust. I should’ve parted with the grey. Impressed you found it on eBay.. slightly stalker mentality I must say
Old 18 May 2024, 04:52 AM   #35
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwhang View Post
Impressed you found it on eBay.. slightly stalker mentality I must say
Sir, this is the internet.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:37 AM   #36
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

You could have kept the new one and sold the older one. You flipped it, nothing else can be said.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:52 AM   #37
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by juwhang View Post
All fair points. From my post history, I’m obviously not so privy to how all of this works, ie waitlist with Rolex and best approach. When I received the call for the sub, the tone seemed like I’d miss out on the datejust if I didn’t take the sub. It was really, really awkward.

Situation now is that I have both subs. Wife is taking the new sub and removed myself from the waitlist for the datejust. Not on the waitlist for any other watches.

Fascinating to see some of the other comments. I get that my actions annoy the super enthusiasts. The process is extremely broken and I’ll definitely not go back on the list which y’all will be glad to hear.

eBay refunded me for damages to the watch. Again, speaking outside of all this woke waitlist mentality, eBay’s authentication partner is shady and should be careful as a buyer and seller.
I don't think you did anything wrong. This is a classic "hate the game not the player" situation.

The structural market issues go beyond random people getting a watch they forget they were on the waitlist for.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 06:07 AM   #38
LateLearner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 16750, AK
The time to tell the AD to remove you from the list was the day you bought the aluminum insert watch.

A better (immediate) decision would have been to keep the ceramic watch, which you requested, and enjoy both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LateLearner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 06:18 AM   #39
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Unfortunate situation and sorry your watch was damaged. As for people getting worked up about someone buying a watch and then selling it, you are off base in my opinion. The OP can do anything he wants with his property, just like anyone else.
Agree 100%. If Rolex truly wanted to "solve" the current market situation, they could. The reality is they don't. The notion of "scarcity" is part of the business model.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote