The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2019, 01:22 PM   #31
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
AD's have never had it so good , they're selling as many watches as they've always sold and selling them at full prices .
The only reason they have empty cases is because they've sold their allocation

Exactly! Don’t cry for those poor AD’s that sell every single steel sport watch that hits their floor without even having to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 01:33 PM   #32
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
Ppl have been buying less watches in the past few years witch is causing the AD and gray dealers to hoard all the sport watches and over charge causing the shortage is all a ploy and as long as you guys keep complaining they are gonna keep profiting what goes up must come down be the fool getting caught paying over retail if you. Years ago they had a hard time selling subs and other watches now all of sudden they are so popular lol it’s all a joke
nnigel46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 01:35 PM   #33
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
Funny thing is I have all my receipts from watches I’ve purchased in the past you guys will be amazing at what I paid for them
nnigel46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 01:49 PM   #34
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

The comments regarding Rolex concerns about keeping AD happy are humorous.

Rolex is among the strongest brands (if not the strongest) brand name in the world. They call every single possible shot in the dealer relationship. Dealers have no say in anything other than yes (if they want to retain their status). So, he is wrong about that.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 02:05 PM   #35
Grace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I didn’t read the article because I’m on my break at work, but two separate ADs have told me that business has never been better. Every sales person is making more than ever before and that yeah, it would be great to have more inventory but that might be short sighted. In his opinion if all the watches were available then nobody would want them. I tend to agree.

I tend to agree with this. The current shortage adds to the desirability of the watch. It’s a marketing dream. Rolex has the upper hand now and I can’t see them giving this up. I expect the shortage will continue going forward.

Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 02:34 PM   #36
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

I just called the AD to get on the list for the precious metal "Oyster Perpetual Classic models" the article mentioned. Author doesn't seem to know his elbow from his arse.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 02:37 PM   #37
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I just called the AD to get on the list for the precious metal "Oyster Perpetual Classic models" the article mentioned. Author doesn't seem to know his elbow from his arse.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 02:47 PM   #38
clock
Banned

What caused the current demand in the Hulk when three years ago AD’s had a tough time selling them?
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:23 PM   #39
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Didnt some article wrote the similar content 2 years ago?
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:28 PM   #40
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
"...Rolex watches one of the greatest investment assets...."

Sorry, but no.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:33 PM   #41
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans14 View Post
I disagree with the author’s argument that it hurts AD’s. AD’s are selling every watch they get. Sales and profits are not being hurt from what they did last year. One could argue AD’s could profit more from increased supply but the idea that AD’s are hurt financially by the supply not increasing seems faulty.
Totally agree! That is a hypocrisy literally! Someone being not happy because he could have made a triple of the current enormous profit provided he had the stock!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:36 PM   #42
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
AD's have never had it so good , they're selling as many watches as they've always sold and selling them at full prices .
The only reason they have empty cases is because they've sold their allocation
Exactly! And that’s not because of them. It’s because of Rolex!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:37 PM   #43
Ghost410
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I really hope so
Ghost410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:49 PM   #44
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

he's not pointing to any concrete evidence except "believe" Rolex is increasing production by 6% and "there could also be" shift towards more SS production. he has no idea and no better information than what he's hearing from watch people/suppliers and ADs

And why 2 years? why not 3 or 4 years or within 12 months?

Cases may be bare, but it also means ADs are selling out of everything they have
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:58 PM   #45
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Cooperative advertising = Rolex forcing ADs to spend money on billboards, posters, internet banners etc. on the 228235 Anniversary to appeal to people with 32000 USD lying around in their bedroom to buy their watch, is not a cooperate advertising campaign that benefits anyone other than Rolex. How many in here can afford that 228235? That's a low number. They're merely preserving presence in a market where people will look to other watches that are more readily available and at a lower price range.

"The Rolex business model is built on happy ADs that willingly give Rolex prime positions in their best-placed stores" - This is complete gibberish. Rolex's business model is currently: "ADs need us, we don't need them". Their arrogance and borderline cocky attitude has made ADs fear them and nod whenever Rolex wants a new 5M USD display. If not, Rolex will just cut them upon the new contract renewal which is annually.

Rolex has tested the artificially low supply for the past 3 years now (ever since Hulks and Batmans started disappearing from displays), and they've regained control of the discounts given by their ADs. ADs don't have enough stock to be giving the discounts they used to, thus selling at full price. Full price means they don't need as much supply, but if you were a good AD you'd be selling at closer to full price than a high discount. Rolex has controlled the revenue the shop can make instead of the shop deciding for themselves. Just another Rolex move of "being in control".

Let's see what Rolex's move will be in the next 2 years. I say they very much enjoy that only a very limited amount of people can get their hands on a 904L watch.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:39 PM   #46
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Let’s not forget the damage caused by Rolex as a valued customer who may of spent consistently on other products over a number of years is told they cannot have the submariner they now want, it could really be a double edged sword being a Rolex AD, the customer could decide never to use the shop again.

Old 5 November 2019, 06:20 PM   #47
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
The risk of this is minimal..And Rolex's chief customer is NOT rhe WIS, it is the well off middle and upper middle class buyer with disposable income. If anything, being hard to get cements the quality of exclusiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
Let’s not forget the damage caused by Rolex as a valued customer who may of spent consistently on other products over a number of years is told they cannot have the submariner they now want, it could really be a double edged sword being a Rolex AD, the customer could decide never to use the shop again.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:37 PM   #48
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Another boring thread about Rolex watch availability, it would seem that everyone's an expert on a subject that in reality they know naff all about.

The one thing that I haven't seen is a 'Closing Down' sign in any of my local jewellers, in fact another one has just opened so that hardly suggests a problem. Every time I go window shopping to see what's about and have a chat about horology in general, I never see a jewellers store empty, there are always customers sitting with SA's and doing business of some description.

I am no expert and I profess to know naff all about any watch brands processes but I can see with open eyes that jewellers are busy, my Rolex AD has just expanded their Rolex area to cater for demand, their Cartier and Hublot watch section also got some extra space due to demand.

AD's are busy, trade is good.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 07:08 PM   #49
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Another boring thread about Rolex watch availability, it would seem that everyone's an expert on a subject that in reality they know naff all about.

The one thing that I haven't seen is a 'Closing Down' sign in any of my local jewellers, in fact another one has just opened so that hardly suggests a problem. Every time I go window shopping to see what's about and have a chat about horology in general, I never see a jewellers store empty, there are always customers sitting with SA's and doing business of some description.

I am no expert and I profess to know naff all about any watch brands processes but I can see with open eyes that jewellers are busy, my Rolex AD has just expanded their Rolex area to cater for demand, their Cartier and Hublot watch section also got some extra space due to demand.

What is naff?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 5 November 2019, 07:27 PM   #50
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

That was by the request of Rolex SA.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 08:46 PM   #51
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
The risk of this is minimal..And Rolex's chief customer is NOT rhe WIS, it is the well off middle and upper middle class buyer with disposable income. If anything, being hard to get cements the quality of exclusiveness.

Those buyers crave exclusivity and demand value retention.

If the luxury good can satiate those wants, it will be very successful.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 08:55 PM   #52
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
What is naff?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
slang for nothing at all, or other colloquialism

Old 5 November 2019, 09:50 PM   #53
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
That was by the request of Rolex SA.
And you know this how?

So Rolex is happy to pay for the new Cartier and Hublot sections, and the revamped jewellery section?

The new layout doesn't give any extra space for Rolex it's area has stayed the same all it got was a new carpet with the Rolex logo on it. The real winners were Cartier and Hublot who now have far more space and new dedicated display cases.

Maybe the AD is creating spaces for the watches that they can get and are selling.

Old 5 November 2019, 09:52 PM   #54
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I tend to agree with this. The current shortage adds to the desirability of the watch. It’s a marketing dream. Rolex has the upper hand now and I can’t see them giving this up. I expect the shortage will continue going forward.

Yup, and the US economy is on fire with all time lowest unemployment in 50 years (3.7%) and median family income is up 5%.

Wouldn’t this climate help sell less desirable DJ models for the AD since they already have their SS Pro models pre sold??
I can’t imagine why or how this climate is bad for anybody except the enthusiast.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 09:55 PM   #55
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans14 View Post
I disagree with the author’s argument that it hurts AD’s. AD’s are selling every watch they get. Sales and profits are not being hurt from what they did last year. One could argue AD’s could profit more from increased supply but the idea that AD’s are hurt financially by the supply not increasing seems faulty.
I couldn't agree more, in fact the market is such that unscrupulous AD's are definitely benefiting from the current climate, selling their popular models under the counter at vastly inflated prices to grey dealers who mark the price up yet again. In addition keeping the rest of us dangling on a piece of string encouraging us to buy the hard to shift models on a promise to add us to a list that may or may not ever be realised.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:06 PM   #56
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Article is late, market is already easing. No one should be paying grey prices at this point, just submit a serious inquiry at your local AD and I'll bet they'll find one. Likely several SS models in the safe.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:19 PM   #57
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
And I said the ceramic Daytona craze would be over about 3-4 years after it’s release. Guess what? I was wrong. It’s all a guess. Some get it right and some don’t.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:35 PM   #58
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
Here is an article on the above title.

https://usa.watchpro.com/corders-col...hin-two-years/
Absolutely disagree with the premise “ But the shortage is hurting because it is harming Rolex’s authorized dealers, and up with that Rolex will not put“

No, now AD have clout to bundle their jewelry (which has been in decline for the last decade) and/or watches they can’t move allowing them to unload the popular and unpopular. Years ago, you need a sub and if they pulled that crap you walk down to the next Ad and walk out with your sub. In this environment, AD can basically blackmail people into getting a bunch of stuff they don’t want for the desired model. And all this instabook business has fueled this as well. What will chill things is the next market downturn which should be arriving in the not too distant future.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:40 PM   #59
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalvo View Post
This is all so simple to avoid. If Rolex really wanted to avoid these issues the they would simply allow you to place an order directly with them, via a website. Then that order would be delivered to the dealer that you request, based on location. When shipped, Rolex could notify you that it is on its way, avoids all AD hanky panky. And, the list simply becomes first come, first served.

But, clearly this is not what they want.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
What a great idea. The fact that it will never happen just proves that the current setup is the one that works for them

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:41 PM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by clock View Post
What caused the current demand in the Hulk when three years ago AD’s had a tough time selling them?
The kickstart was disco rumours in Aug 17, probably initiated by big greys, then once the price moved up, the usual hype price momentum occured and it hasn't let off since. A few months after this, demand for pretty much every sports Rolex increased as demand moved from the ceramic unobtainables, and so DJs were freely available, but now even DJ41s are rare on the ground in the UK.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote