The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 December 2018, 11:08 AM   #31
GK-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
What’s wrong with a Calatrava? Or a complication? Patek does make more models then Nautilus. Or are you chasing after a PP for image and show?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Is there something wrong with liking the Nautilus? I have already mentioned previously that there are other PP that I admire. However, most of those above the 5712, in value, that I would purchase are above what I can spend currently on a hobby. There is nothing wrong with the other Patek models, they’re just not what I’m looking to buy at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 11:12 AM   #32
GK-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I got lucky with my AD and got a 5726 on strap. But yes, not the most popular Nautilus. Still the exact one I was searching for.

Looking for a 5164 now. Not easy to get. My AD told me I’m 6 months out. I stop by all the time to say hello. Or even to pick up some needed items.

If I’m you...I’m going gray.

I’ll go grey for the 5712 if I can’t find one through an AD in the next year. Doesn’t hurt to wait and see, but I agree that grey market is most likely my best bet. I’d love to pick up a 5164 one day. Hope the 6 months wait goes quickly for you!

Old 27 December 2018, 05:10 AM   #33
lindyhppr
"TRF" Member

Have you considered getting a 5712g? I just bought one from my local AD (my first patek) and I believe they are available with little wait. I personally love the Nautilus on a strap and like the look of white gold. May be an interesting option.
lindyhppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:53 AM   #34
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I got lucky with my AD and got a 5726 on strap. But yes, not the most popular Nautilus. Still the exact one I was searching for.

Looking for a 5164 now. Not easy to get. My AD told me I’m 6 months out. I stop by all the time to say hello. Or even to pick up some needed items.

If I’m you...I’m going gray.

How long have you been waiting for your 5164?

The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:33 AM   #35
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you look at 5726 (44k) 5990 (53k). Not far from the 5712 (40k), and if you are willing to spend on grey, you mite as well buy those for retail since they are not as hard to get and their retail will be same as grey for 5712 and 5711..
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:34 AM   #36
GK-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindyhppr View Post
Have you considered getting a 5712g? I just bought one from my local AD (my first patek) and I believe they are available with little wait. I personally love the Nautilus on a strap and like the look of white gold. May be an interesting option.

I’ll be in Hong Kong in two weeks and will have to check some of the grey shops to see if it sings to me. The local AD does not have one. I’m usually partial to the bracelet but the 5712g does look nice. I’ll see if I can try one on and see how it feels. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2018, 09:38 AM   #37
wisguy
"TRF" Member

If you want it and can afford it, go gray!
Old 27 December 2018, 10:30 AM   #38
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

After having almost every desirable nautilus...I can't IMAGINE feeling it would be worth paying the unreal numbers for them outside of the AD...they are cool, they aren't NEARLY that cool. The only nautilus I've kept is my 5712r though...the RG ones have always had a certain appeal the stainless don't seem to carry for me (at the current pricing).
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #39
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Developing relationships and rapport with established ADs doesn’t come necessarily with a price tag - stop by - chat — get to know people — show them that you’re an enthusiast - and one that truly appreciates the particular references, and you might be surprised with the outcome.

It will definitely take some time - but for those two references - not a chance with the current premiums.

And if you’ve got a cpl years to really wait — I’d wait. A LOT can happen in two years....

Just my .02

I agree, I am still looking for a specific reference and there is no way I will pay grey prices. One AD has put me on the list and said mid 2020. A lot will happen between now and then and I am assuming I can find another AD with some time and patience who will help me make the purchase.
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:43 PM   #40
appa666
"TRF" Member

We can do a simple math here,
Buying 5711 will cost you at least 55K USD brand new at grey.
If you choose a reasonable bundling with AD rather than going grey you will end up getting an additional ladies basic Aqua, paying roughly the same.

In today’s market there is pretty much zero chance to get a 5711/5712 for a new customer unless a TOP spender give you a reference AKA giving you his allocation basically. I don’t know what’s the market gonna be tomorrow or in long run, but if you are planning to stick with Patek I strongly suggest you to go with AD.
Show them your passion, you are a collector not a flipper so a reasonable bundie is possible. You also mentioned you are interested in Aqua travel time, getting 5164 as your first Patek is not bad too, and surely it will open up the waiting list slot of 5711/5712 for you.
When I first got in touch with my local AD, I was told I can only get 5711/5712 with a purchase history. However, they willing to get me a Aqua in order to fulfill the “purchase history” requirement cuz they know I’m not a flipper. I was initially waiting for 5167 but ended up taking 5164 instead because first I like it, also wait time is so much shorter. I didn’t choose ladies Aqua because my partner had one already and I didn’t want to spend only for getting on the list, but it was an option suggested by my AD. Sooner I have my Aqua, faster I’ll be able to get my Nautilus. Once the relationship is built, everything goes so much smoother. They let me ordered 5712, 5740, and amazingly a 5167 too when I was picking the 5164.
So a strong relationship with AD is very important and I highly suggest you to go with AD if you planning to stay with Patek in long run.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 11:38 PM   #41
GK-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa666 View Post
We can do a simple math here,

Buying 5711 will cost you at least 55K USD brand new at grey.

If you choose a reasonable bundling with AD rather than going grey you will end up getting an additional ladies basic Aqua, paying roughly the same.

In today’s market there is pretty much zero chance to get a 5711/5712 for a new customer unless a TOP spender give you a reference AKA giving you his allocation basically. I don’t know what’s the market gonna be tomorrow or in long run, but if you are planning to stick with Patek I strongly suggest you to go with AD.

Show them your passion, you are a collector not a flipper so a reasonable bundie is possible. You also mentioned you are interested in Aqua travel time, getting 5164 as your first Patek is not bad too, and surely it will open up the waiting list slot of 5711/5712 for you.

When I first got in touch with my local AD, I was told I can only get 5711/5712 with a purchase history. However, they willing to get me a Aqua in order to fulfill the “purchase history” requirement cuz they know I’m not a flipper. I was initially waiting for 5167 but ended up taking 5164 instead because first I like it, also wait time is so much shorter. I didn’t choose ladies Aqua because my partner had one already and I didn’t want to spend only for getting on the list, but it was an option suggested by my AD. Sooner I have my Aqua, faster I’ll be able to get my Nautilus. Once the relationship is built, everything goes so much smoother. They let me ordered 5712, 5740, and amazingly a 5167 too when I was picking the 5164.

So a strong relationship with AD is very important and I highly suggest you to go with AD if you planning to stay with Patek in long run.

I like this line of thinking. How does the Aqua wear compared to a 5712? I plan to take advantage of the large grey market while in HK to try on some of these other pieces to see if/what I like.

Old 28 December 2018, 12:11 AM   #42
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK- View Post
I like this line of thinking. How does the Aqua wear compared to a 5712? I plan to take advantage of the large grey market while in HK to try on some of these other pieces to see if/what I like.

Aqua is very comfortable, but more casual for sure comparing to Nautilus. So there’s no conflicts to get both, both are keeper imho.
HK is a watch heaven but one of the least cost effective place to do watch hunting for hot/hype pieces such as AP double balance, PP Nautilus Aqua, RM etc.
To give you an ideal blue dial 5711 mostly asking for 55k USD and if you are not Asian they might charge you even more. I have also seen a blue dial 5711, brand new and can put your own name on, asking for 550k hkd which is 70k usd. So if you don’t have a budget issue and only want to get the watch, it’s the place to go. Otherwise, it’s a good place to see the watches in person or even try them on, window shopping lol
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:20 AM   #43
GK-
"TRF" Member

Yes, HK is for window shopping in the current market. Thanks for the advise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 December 2018, 05:47 AM   #44
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK- View Post
I’m ok with the current grey prices. I don’t view watches as an investment and have never moved any of my watches in the past. I buy time pieces for me so the current market price is fine with me. Downside to grey market to me is not building a lasting relationship with an AD and all the benefits that that entails. Seems like the feedback is grey market is the only avenue.

Truthfully, you should not be with ok with current gray prices. They are crazy high and the folks who pay over 50K are buying at the top. Build a relationship with several ADs and pay retail. Many have gotten watches based upon real enthusiasm and good timing without long purchase histories. Many of us with long purchase histories are still waiting.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:54 AM   #45
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If they are the only watch you must have in this world and nothing else.....and are the end of the road....as ridiculous as the grey pricing is.....that is definitely the right path to go with the current situation. As mentioned, the only realistic way @ these with MSRP for you is if you know someone who is a big customer with some AD that's willing to pull strings for you. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay in. Personally I went with the relationship approach as I buy other watches that the AD carries (Rolex for example) since I know these won't be my last and only watches. But this approach makes no sense if all you want is a Nautilus and nothing else.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:59 AM   #46
GK-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
If they are the only watch you must have in this world and nothing else.....and are the end of the road....as ridiculous as the grey pricing is.....that is definitely the right path to go with the current situation. As mentioned, the only realistic way @ these with MSRP for you is if you know someone who is a big customer with some AD that's willing to pull strings for you. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay in. Personally I went with the relationship approach as I buy other watches that the AD carries (Rolex for example) since I know these won't be my last and only watches. But this approach makes no sense if all you want is a Nautilus and nothing else.

Certainly not the only watches that I’d like to get but they’re ones that I’m currently targeting. Hindsight is 20/20 and wish I had started my AD relationship with a dealer that carried both Rolex and Patek back many years ago. I plan to pick up my next Rolex from the local dealer who also carries Patek to get things started. Also have my eye on a ALS Datograph but want to pick up a PP first. It’s a marathon not a sprint!