The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #31
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well afraid today many are not interested about the heritage or history of the brand as with many of today's Rolex owners today its all about £££££$$$$$$ or investment etc.And today many just wear the brand instead of the watch,yes Rolex does make one of the finest mechanical watches made today. But IMHO this fact is not now the main factor in choosing any Rolex watch. As today internet brand hype plays a huge part to many reading the thousands of posts on forum over the past years..

I bought my first Rolex in 1964. I had never heard of the brand but I thought” what the heck”. Never looked back with remorse on that purchase. Over time and more Rolex models, I acquired quite a bit of knowledge of the manufacturer. I agree with what this writer says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 02:19 AM   #32
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Ease of ownership and durability.
I'm pretty hard on my watches and the Rolex just don't need to be babied or repeatedly serviced.

That, and I just like the way that they look and feel on my wrist.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 02:21 AM   #33
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
What got me into Rolex to begin with, was the marketing to be honest.

I wanted a “good watch” and since I had heard the name Rolex since childhood, that’s what I went for.

Now that I know more about watches, I appreciate my Rolex for:

- -2/+2 accuracy

- water resistant

- Datejust is very versatile

-does depreciate too too bad (Datejust)

- basically, can wear it anytime, anywhere, without fear of breaking it. And if it breaks you can get it fixed.

End of story
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 02:23 AM   #34
doramas
Banned

For me, the best thing about Rolex is its resale and service value.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 02:38 AM   #35
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
The aesthetics (Submariners/SD!! and Gmt, Daytona and Milgauss Air King and Date just......)

Great and absolute quality and reliability

History style charm ......

only one Rolex ....... it can be enough for a lifetime
Old 11 May 2020, 02:51 AM   #36
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
History.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 May 2020, 02:54 AM   #37
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

In no particular order: aesthetics, comfort, durability, quality.

The first two are certainly subjective, but they look damn good and they have been two of the most comfortable watches I’ve ever owned.

They can handle a far tougher life than I live.

I know they’re not PP/AP level of finishing, but to my eyes they ooze quality when you look at them. Sort of a beauty in simplicity type of thing. I know there have been sporadic pictures of paint overspray on GMT hands and other various issues, but in my personal experience they have been excellent.

The fit of all the components (end links to case is just perfect), the brushed surfaces have such a nice grain to them, the polished surfaces seem to be brighter and stay cleaner than other brands, the edges are nice and sharp. I know owners of high end brands will be rolling their eyes to my “ooze quality” comment, but I have yet to experience otherwise.

Ultimately, while they aren’t cheap, I have yet to own a Rolex where I don’t feel the price I paid was an extremely fair exchange for the product I received. My Omega thus far has left me completely underwhelmed, and I never wear my Nomos. Both will be gone soon in exchange for a six digit Exp II.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 03:25 AM   #38
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I like all the various watch brands, as they all offer products with their own merits and aesthetic appeal. However I do have a natural affinity for Rolex that I attribute to growing up watching my father wear and maintain his Rolex collection.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 03:40 AM   #39
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Quality, reliability, ruggedness, durability, looks etc etc and yes prestiege. Bought my first in 1982 and is still my most worn watch. Yes I have other makes eg Omega, Breitling but a Rolex is a Rolex.
Its like sports cars, there are many makes of sports cars but to me real sports cars are red and made in Italy (and no I don't have one but one day....).
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 03:41 AM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I want a good watch, Swiss made, robust, and can wear every day.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 04:29 AM   #41
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Resale has been important as it allowed me at times to trade up to more expensive Rolex watches.
Old 11 May 2020, 05:31 AM   #42
kumar75203
Banned

ease of resale lol
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 06:30 AM   #43
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

You mentioned, you like other watches too. Most of us have several brands. Variety is what makes the things interesting...
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 06:44 AM   #44
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Let's not be in denial. As what Padi said it's all about the dollars, pounds and the "flex" nowadays. This is a luxury item and e don't need them. They are a privilege to own.

Also it's 100% purely a subjective taste lol
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 06:49 AM   #45
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

Ruggedness and classic designs.
Old 11 May 2020, 06:49 AM   #46
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Wearing comfort. Legibility. Quality of materials and finish. Design. Aesthetics. Rolex make a number of models which all seem to land in the right spot for me, in a price range that I'm comfortable with. They are not the only brand I like or own. For my needs/wants, in the six digit model era, Rolex just keep nailing it.

The history of the company and the development of model ranges is fascinating. Particularly in the way it has been shaped (contemporaneously and retrospectively) my marketing. As is the long roll call of ambassadors, supporters, fans and their watches. But none of this would make any difference if the watches were not excellent.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 06:55 AM   #47
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Beat the snot out of it and it still functions flawlessly. I know, because I have.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 07:01 AM   #48
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
beat the snot out of it and it still functions flawlessly. I know, because i have.
+1
Old 11 May 2020, 07:03 AM   #49
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've never got snot out of any of mine. How do you do that?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 07:04 AM   #50
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
ease of resale lol
I like the watches a lot and always have since my first in 1979. Other than the ability to trade due to their value, its never been an investment like stocks etc. I have never bought one with the intention of a profit.
Old 11 May 2020, 07:14 AM   #51
Ensign
"TRF" Member

It’s a joy to have a such a well made tool. Many will say Rolex doesn’t make tool watches, but with a Rolex you get a time keeping device that you can wear daily for a lifetime or more. My daily beater is a 36mm Datejust that I have worn for about 15 years. It’s had a single service and looks like new.
Next, it’s as “in house” as they come these days. It’s not a phoenix brand or part of an investment group. Nothing wrong with making money, Rolex’s status as a charity is attractive. I don’t know what cause they are supporting, but being free from the constraints of investors lends the brand some integrity.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 03:21 PM   #52
gaymondlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND- DJ Yella's
I'm 50yrs old now and growing up I saw them at the mall store on some spinning display, as I grew older some them in car magazine ads, their ads showing mt everest climb history, men of importance wearing them in other ads, james bond, etc. This made an impression to me that they were the best at a very young age. I've been wearing Rolex for ~24 years. Tried other brands and will eventually buyer higher end watches but I always keep coming back to Rolex. Its the only brand I feel comfortable wearing doing anything and no worries about damaging the watch. In my mind the watch is bullet proof and I don't take it off for any reason. Currently own 6 for myself (new air king, TT DJ 36, milgauss, sub, 18238, 118206, and another 2 I bought for my wife and looking to pick up 4 more models (as soon as the AD calls me) I don't have but would like to own (explorer 1, GMT-2, skydweller, and daytona). I have never sold a watch but keep seeing them go up in $ so I figured I better buy them asap before I end up paying more $ later on
gaymondlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 09:23 PM   #53
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
For me, it was the look of the watch. After a couple of years without a watch I started looking for one. Ss, black dial and bezel those were the criteria. There are hundreds of those, but my attention always went to the Submariners and GMT. Finally bought a Sea-Dweller after some research and fitting sessions at AD's.
All the other brand with similar looking watches all had something I didn't like as much. Strap too busy, bezel too thin or too many corners.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 02:55 AM   #54
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
For me it comes down to heritage, history, design and value.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 04:21 AM   #55
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
To me from being a little lad, they represented a go anywhere and do anything watch. An often used term these days "Tool watch".

As a kid it was just the watch that my Dad had wore constant all my life and a long time before it.

I used to get my Dads Rolex and put it on and pose in front of the mirror. The inner band packed out with tissue.

Now sadly for it to fit my Dad, i have to do the same. My son had a great idea thinking of his Grandad's watch problem. A wrist sweatband with his watch over the top.

They last a lifetime and beyond. I will do a write up about this watch in a separate thread.

My Dad and Me. A long long time ago
Dad and Me.jpg

My Son and Me. A decade ago with a watch (Bought the month he was born, not intentionally just happened) i have put it away for him.
Dad and William SD.jpg
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:41 PM   #56
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
To me from being a little lad, they represented a go anywhere and do anything watch. An often used term these days "Tool watch".

As a kid it was just the watch that my Dad had wore constant all my life and a long time before it.

I used to get my Dads Rolex and put it on and pose in front of the mirror. The inner band packed out with tissue.

Now sadly for it to fit my Dad, i have to do the same. My son had a great idea thinking of his Grandad's watch problem. A wrist sweatband with his watch over the top.

They last a lifetime and beyond. I will do a write up about this watch in a separate thread.

Attachment 1133916

My Son and Me. A decade ago with a watch (Bought the month he was born, not intentionally just happened) i have put it away for him.
Attachment 1133917
That is amazing. You’re a great Dad!
Old 12 May 2020, 12:59 PM   #57
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I like the watches a lot and always have since my first in 1979. Other than the ability to trade due to their value, its never been an investment like stocks etc. I have never bought one with the intention of a profit.
I have never bought a Rolex with the intention of making a profit.

I am not a watch collector though. These are not lifelong purchases for me. If I buy a Rolex, wear it for 6-12 months, and get tired of it, I can sell it for at least 90% of what I bought it for. Same applies if I just don't love the watch.

There are other brands who I believe make watches just as good or even better than Rolex but I know it's going to hurt if I want to change things up often.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:06 PM   #58
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Rolex name sounds good.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:08 PM   #59
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
[QUOTE=BisonHead;10604953]To me from being a little lad, they represented a go anywhere and do anything watch. An often used term these days "Tool watch".

Attachment 1133916

Great photograph.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:22 PM   #60
Alexexec
"TRF" Member

All of the above, and in particular the quality, durability, comfort, reliability, design and versatility of these watches, a luxury go anywhere and do anything daily wearer
Alexexec is offline   Reply With Quote