The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2012, 12:19 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
yes sir

this thread is old hat anyways. we've all been down this road before. I am convinced however that these threads start up for a reason and that reason is people WANT rolex to have bigger offerings

im outta here!
Brother, truly everyone else seems to be having a conversation.

Settle down. These posts, just like yours, are opinions and have validity.

Personally, I love the rolex line and was ecstatic when the 42 mm exp came out.

I've currently had and sold it 3 times. It's just too big for my current taste.
And I'm not a small guy at 5'10" and 180lbs.

It's just a watch forum brother, and I am certain you can see from my past posts: I'm not what you refer to as a "purist".

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 12:25 AM   #32
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I think the reason for the super case was to make the watches feel larger without a diameter increase. I'm fine with that. The 3 guys who passed up the Sub probably bought Panerai.

Rolex makes tough, well-made, tool watches. No male needs a watch over 40 or 42 millimeters and if they want one, other brands fill the void. Buy what you like. That's what I do.
Old 26 December 2012, 12:30 AM   #33
swiss ghost
Banned

sorry guys. I simply dont see 42mm as being a trend. Omegas been offering 42mm for years and have a HUGE following.

i simply refuse to see the speedmaster moonwatch as something flavor flav would wear
swiss ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 12:31 AM   #34
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
ive watched 3 friends pass on a rolex sub due to size

thats 3 sales. im sure there are many stories like mine.

WOW the purists get there panties in a knot whenever this topic comes up. i accept you and your small watches NOW can you please accept me and my GINORMOUS deepsea

merry christmas
All I said was that I don't think you can extrapolate declining Rolex sales from the decisions of three friends based on size. There's enough variety for everyone so it's not an issue.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 12:33 AM   #35
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
sorry guys. I simply dont see 42mm as being a trend. Omegas been offering 42mm for years and have a HUGE following.

i simply refuse to see the speedmaster moonwatch as something flavor flav would wear
I thought you were outta here?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 12:34 AM   #36
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
All I said was that I don't think you can extrapolate declining Rolex sales from the decisions of three friends based on size. There's enough variety for everyone so it's not an issue.
variety is a GOOD thing. Rolex is making strides towards this with the 44 deepsea and 42mm explorer. If its good enough for Patek Phillipe its good enough for me

I may be out of line here but why is it that Rolex is always right and ALL the other Brands are wrong?

Omegas doing something right
Old 26 December 2012, 12:35 AM   #37
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
I thought you were outta here?
nahhh. Christmas day is flat out boring until the bars open tonight. I dont watch NBA
Old 26 December 2012, 12:51 AM   #38
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
variety is a GOOD thing. Rolex is making strides towards this with the 44 deepsea and 42mm explorer. If its good enough for Patek Phillipe its good enough for me

I may be out of line here but why is it that Rolex is always right and ALL the other Brands are wrong?

Omegas doing something right

i am not quite sure where anyone said "rolex is always right". i think people are just stating their preferences. and i have seen tons of love for many other brands right here on this forum.

clearly, people are biased here, but uummmm......its a rolex forum. people are here because they like rolex.

that said: for Rolex, they clearly are doing something right. they are not going to please everyone. but again, it is pretty clear that they are doing the right things for the market they are targeting.

back onto the OP's topic:

i personally think it is highly unlikely that the sub will go to 42mm. the new iteration just recently came out and it is a huge success. additionally, it is too similar to their already big diver that they would be competing against themselves. check out the explorer 2 at 42mm. while too big for my tastes it is a stunningly well balanced sport/tool watch.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 01:02 AM   #39
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
There are so many factors involved, beyond mere 'size', that threads on this subject rarely seem to have all in agreement. For example; age/demographic, personal style preference, brand preference, watch design (small watches that wear large and vice-versa), etc ad infinitum...
Something I notice around Melbourne, is that more 'mature' gents generally wear a smaller watch (35 mm or less). But describing sizes as 'small' or 'huge' is vague/subjective and not especially helpful

Personally I am happy with watches in the size range 40 - 47 mm, and it just so happens that my favourite brands produce pieces I like within that range

I like the Sub at 40 mm, but I would also like it at 42 mm or larger
Old 26 December 2012, 01:05 AM   #40
big972
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LN & 126660
IMHO, I'm a fan of big watches as well but would only go up to a certain size. I think over 45mm is just way too big for me. I have a DJ2 and the size is just perfect @41mm. Although I love wearing my 36mm DJ and my 40mm Sub, you still see the difference when it's in your wrist. I hope they make the sub, gmt & Daytona at least at 41mm..

1500 SS Date|16233 TT Datejust|116333 TT Datejust II|16613LN TT Submariner|126660 Rolex Sea-Dweller Deapsea |CAN1010 SS AquaRacer Grande Date Chrono|CAC1110 SS TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chrono|51-2273 Citizen Divers Automatic
-Dubium Sapientiae Initium-
big972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 01:35 AM   #41
swiss ghost
Banned

[QUOTE=Psmith;3815354]There are so many factors involved, beyond mere 'size', that threads on this subject rarely seem to have all in agreement. For example; age/demographic, personal style preference, brand preference, watch design (small watches that wear large and vice-versa), etc ad infinitum...
Something I notice around Melbourne, is that more 'mature' gents generally wear a smaller watch (35 mm or less). But describing sizes as 'small' or 'huge' is vague/subjective and not especially helpful

this statement pretty much sums it up.
Old 26 December 2012, 01:53 AM   #42
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Pretty happy with the subs current size.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:11 AM   #43
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Rolex offers watches that appeal to many different tastes. And they have a variety of sizes. I say, find a Rolex model that you adore and enjoy it for the rest of your life!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:13 AM   #44
Rocco22
Banned

Watch: Hulk,114060,14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
I'm 6'7", 42" arms, and yes, I'm Hulk Hogan On a serious note, I used to be a bigger watch guy. I then owned a DJ for a little while and disliked it initially due to its small size. After a while it grew on me and the only reason I sold it I because it was too "dressy" for me (and I should've initially gotten a Sub). Now that I have sub it's the perfect size (for me). I LOVE my SS Sub so much it's ridiculous. I own a Sub C as well which is a little fatter (lug and crown guard wise) but my SS is the perfect watch for me.
hulk hogan is 6'5 and had 21" arms at his biggest and now has 20" arms,only saying cause I have met him a few times.but my main point is why start being an ass when I'm explaining my size to my watch.i don't say anything about your username as its obvious you want everyone to know your in the army.im a bodybuilder and I thought I would explain my size to my watch size and how I think it's weird when I see a 5'6 135 lb guy wearing a 50mm watch.
Rocco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:15 AM   #45
lland
"TRF" Member

When Porsche introduced the Panamera, purists were outraged. Front engine? Four doors? Same thing with the Cayenne. The horror of a Porsche SUV. Heresy..but they sell a lot of them. They also still sell a lot of 911s.

Something for everyone. No harm if Rolex did the same.

LL
lland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:21 AM   #46
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
yes sir

this thread is old hat anyways. we've all been down this road before. I am convinced however that these threads start up for a reason and that reason is people WANT rolex to have bigger offerings

im outta here!
Swiss Ghost

Your posts sound like a troll. I'm sure you don't want anyone to think of you in that way. There are more diplomatic and respectful ways to post here.

And if your citing flavor flav as someone to look up to as a watch officianado, well... words fail me...

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:22 AM   #47
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
As long as they don't mess up the classics (a Sub should be 40mm), there's nothing wrong with variety.
Old 26 December 2012, 02:23 AM   #48
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberfoptic View Post
Hi i really love the rolex brand the only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger on one is that i like bigger size watches and was wondering do you experts think rolex will make a bigger size sub i have seen the deep sea which is nice but very thick i actually own a omega planet ocean xl which is a great size for me so what do you think will happen at baselworld this year please tell me a bigger sub is on its way....
I hope not...
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:26 AM   #49
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
The only one on here who seems to have their panties in a knot is you.

Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:29 AM   #50
SRQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Rolex mm issue

Rolex seems to be adjusting its watch diameters somewhat. As was noted in an earlier post, the new Sub has larger lugs which make the 40 mm seem slightly larger. I bought one (pre-owned) and love it. Some poster think the ceramic dial ruins the classicism of the Sub. That may be so, but there are plenty of classic subs out there if you want one. The Explorer and Deep Sea are available in 42, which I think is an excellent size, but I don't care for the Explorer and the Deep Sea is out of my price range. Panerai has been remarkably succesful with a 44 which wears larger, but also has a very nice 40 available. Different strokes, etc. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all and may many of us find a Rolex under the tree. Mine was an early present from my wonderful wife!
SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:29 AM   #51
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
Swiss Ghost

Your posts sound like a troll. I'm sure you don't want anyone to think of you in that way. There are more diplomatic and respectful ways to post here.

And if your citing flavor flav as someone to look up to as a watch officianado, well... words fail me...
reread the thread. i didnt bring flavor flav up...someone else did. troll? why? because purists disagree? the word 'troll' gets thrown around alot these days and because i challenge a purist iom a 'troll'? i respectfully disagree.I also dont care what anyone thinks about MY opinions.

a 50mm watch on a 5'7 130lb man obviously would look ridiculous just as much as a 40mm on a 6'6 man IMHO

to each there own. the porsche analogy was the best. Patek doesent mind having different size offerings I dont hear anyone dismissing them as trendy
Old 26 December 2012, 02:30 AM   #52
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post

ive been on enough forums mickey to understand that some support there forum 'friends'. you added ZERO to the discussion but thank you
Old 26 December 2012, 02:36 AM   #53
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
ive been on enough forums mickey to understand that some support there forum 'friends'. you added ZERO to the discussion but thank you
And I am tired of you so now finally you are like a true ghost--vanished with only your troll like spirit to haunt us.

Bye bye you won't be missed--My first Christmas ban.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:48 AM   #54
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
I think a 42mm sub by 14mm thick would be a great size for a larger Submariner, but I don't see that happening.
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:51 AM   #55
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.9 KB, 221 views)
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 02:53 AM   #56
FLB03TT
Banned

Watch: PAM, G.O., G.P.
Wear whatever size watch that makes you happy. There's no right or wrong when it comes to size.

I have a large wrist and prefer a 44mm cased watch to a 40mm. This is merely my preference, has nothing to do with right or wrong.

I've followed this forum for many years and my observation is that the Rolex exclusive crowd is the group more obsessed with the right and wrong argument than, say, the Panerai people. Paneristi just seem to like Panerai and are not concerned with preaching to other watch enthusiasts about why their sub 44mm watches look puny.
FLB03TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 03:04 AM   #57
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
The final selling point of the Explorer II was its size. Unlike almost every other high end watch I'd looked at, I could actually read it! It had the right balance pedigree, beauty, reliability, and toughness I was looking for.

I'm at that age, where so many of us are, where it's getting harder to focus your eyes close up. Hence the need for larger watches with larger hands. I thought the Explorer I was the most comfortable watch I'd ever worn but I really couldn't see it easily (maybe if it had the Explorer II's larger hands...?).

Now everyone chill and have a Merry Christmas!!
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 03:06 AM   #58
Rolexpilot
Banned

"Big" watches are a vulgar fad.
Rolexpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 03:11 AM   #59
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
reread the thread. i didnt bring flavor flav up...someone else did. troll? why? because purists disagree? the word 'troll' gets thrown around alot these days and because i challenge a purist iom a 'troll'? i respectfully disagree.I also dont care what anyone thinks about MY opinions.

a 50mm watch on a 5'7 130lb man obviously would look ridiculous just as much as a 40mm on a 6'6 man IMHO

to each there own. the porsche analogy was the best. Patek doesent mind having different size offerings I dont hear anyone dismissing them as trendy
Shame he's gone. I was going to ask him if he doesn't care about what anyone thinks of his opinions, then why bother to post?

I guess I'll have to get a ouija board to ask him! Is it too late to ask santa for one...?!

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 03:14 AM   #60
FLB03TT
Banned

Watch: PAM, G.O., G.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexpilot View Post
"Big" watches are a vulgar fad.
A case in point!!
FLB03TT is offline   Reply With Quote