The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 December 2022, 12:24 PM   #31
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epeterson View Post
Thank you all for the replies. They’re all very interesting and helpful. If anyone can point me to an article indicating that he gave the watch worn in his films to Bradley Cooper that would be great. I’ve seen articles that he gave Bradley Cooper a root beer gmt that is nick-named the Eastwood, but I think that is a special gift he sometimes gives to close friends he knows to be watch enthusiasts. The watch I have was never given to Bradley Cooper. I do t even think Bradley Cooper was famous yet when my watch was said to have been gifted by Mr Eastwood. In the end I wasn’t there when it happened. It was long ago in Los Angeles at an entertainment law firm and aside from the story I’ve heard I don’t know why the woman who received the watch would otherwise have it. She certainly didn’t wear it. Just kept it at home in a safe.
It's just more likely he gifted his Rootbeer to Bradley Cooper than the other woman. And even if it was his, it's been serviced and the original parts replaced so we'll never know. It's like taking in the Paul Newman Daytona and having the parts replaced and the engraving polished out and strap replaced. It's sort of not the real thing anymore.

Only CE knows for sure.

From the photos the crown on the dial looks applied rather than printed so I'm leaning towards his being a 79-80 1675/3 with Tiger's Eye dial.

I personally like the 16753's a little better.

I believe they switched to a new movement, 18k gold instead of 14k, and had slightly different dial and maybe handset. I think because there will probably be a mystery sounding his reference forever, we will never know. I reckon we can call any nipple dial Rootbeer 1675/3 and 16753 a CE pretty safely but there will be some anoraks that will insist that it was a very exact year/spec/dial.

One day I'd like to pick one up but prices have been very high lately and they're also really hard to find in good original condition.
thenewrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 08:00 PM   #32
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epeterson View Post
I have it, apparently. Mr Eastwood gave the watch to someone who had come in on time and under budget on some legal work. She kept it at home but she later passed away. I was gifted the watch by her son. At least this is what I have been told.
I guess there's no way of proving it either way, but I certainly wouldn't be randomly gifting my trademark gold Rolex, which I'd famously treasured for many years, to my lawyer just for doing his job. It doesn't add up.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 10:39 PM   #33
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Here’s my 16713 original dial and hands. Eastwood’s original had the nipple dial most likely reference 16753.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C3FD2ADF-29D7-40CD-BE6A-1DEB4031AB6F.jpeg (271.8 KB, 77 views)
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote