The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 December 2021, 10:57 PM   #31
IR201
"TRF" Member

Many thanks all for thought provoking replies! I'm still on the fence but this is helpful to think through.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:57 PM   #32
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Wait, you didn’t ask me first

2 for 1 is always kinda tricky unless PM is involved but I’m a massive SkyD fanboy and considering those 2 I’d say yes. Especially if the OP and Speedy aren’t getting any wrist time. Just go SS in either white or black.
Lol you're right, should have consulted you first :) I think I had a good feeling of what you would say!
Old 20 December 2021, 10:58 PM   #33
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
An easy one for me, although only on PM or TT. The WG hands of the SS don't have enough contrast for me.

You should do what your heart tells you. I can only tell you what I would do.
Beautiful piece
Old 20 December 2021, 10:59 PM   #34
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
SkyD
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:59 PM   #35
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Do you want a trade or just want the dopamine hit? One can always flip and trade. Sit on it 6months and if the urge still there make a move. What most are really chasing is running the hedonic treadmill. Nothing wrong with that per se, but not being aware may cause one to flip something they really don’t want to part with, rather they just want something new cause it feels good.
Very good point - it's not always easy to sort this out
Old 20 December 2021, 11:00 PM   #36
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Trading cash for watches works better than watches for watches .
Score here,lose there ,doesn't really ad up.
This is a good point, and I've felt it for sure in past trades. On the other hand, I think I've got too many pieces right now (way more than pictured), so not keen to keep adding either.
Old 20 December 2021, 11:32 PM   #37
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Always goes for the one you like the most, don’t go by the quantity.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 11:33 PM   #38
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Very good point - it's not always easy to sort this out

I know right. The only thing I find that helps is a personal moratorium on buying for x long. What I found is that the watch I thought I wanted and obsessed over was replaced by a new one when x new model came out and then the cycle continues.

Now on the other hand (and not to enable lol) one can argue that one of the upsides of this hobby is one can trade in and get a new watch without taking too much a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 11:39 PM   #39
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Definitely those two. Great combination.
Old 21 December 2021, 03:57 AM   #40
Greglaw
Banned

what do you care what anyone else thinks? you are asking people you will likely never, ever meet or see...about a watch that you will be wearing? why don't you figure out what you want? I don't understand these threads.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 07:15 AM   #41
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I would keep those two.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 10:53 PM   #42
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
what do you care what anyone else thinks? you are asking people you will likely never, ever meet or see...about a watch that you will be wearing? why don't you figure out what you want? I don't understand these threads.
You raise an interesting point. I'll attempt to answer from my perspective.

Firstly, it's sort of my style to gather people's opinions before making decisions, especially when I have been on the fence for some time. I like to have a holistic perspective to make my own informed choice. Sometimes starting these threads gives me interesting insights, angles, considerations etc. that I hadn't thought of previously. If you think about it, it would be impossible for me to not make my own decision and just follow what people on this thread say - half tell me to get the Skydweller, half to keep the two I have. I obviously can't decide to do both of those options! In the end, I am making the choice, just with more info (hopefully).

Second, you imply that because I will never see these people in my life I should not value their opinions. Here I would disagree. To me it is the quality of the input which determines how I value an opinion. If I want opinions about Rolex, this is a darn good place to get it (as opposed to say family or friends who I do see all the time but know nothing about watches).

To be frank, I see posts like yours quite a lot, questioning someone using this forum for opinions. And just as much as you don't get my post, I don't get yours. This whole watch hobby of ours - YouTube videos, articles, hands-on reviews, etc. - is full of opinions which we all readily consume prior to making our own decisions. I see this forum as a fantastic extension of that, with the ability to get personalized feedback.
Old 22 December 2021, 02:15 AM   #43
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:

Firstly, it's sort of my style to gather people's opinions before making decisions, especially when I have been on the fence for some time. I like to have a holistic perspective to make my own informed choice. Sometimes starting these threads gives me interesting insights, angles, considerations etc. that I hadn't thought of previously. If you think about it, it would be impossible for me to not make my own decision and just follow what people on this thread say - half tell me to get the Skydweller, half to keep the two I have. I obviously can't decide to do both of those options! In the end, I am making the choice, just with more info (hopefully).

Second, you imply that because I will never see these people in my life I should not value their opinions. Here I would disagree. To me it is the quality of the input which determines how I value an opinion. If I want opinions about Rolex, this is a darn good place to get it (as opposed to say family or friends who I do see all the time but know nothing about watches).

To be frank, I see posts like yours quite a lot, questioning someone using this forum for opinions. And just as much as you don't get my post, I don't get yours. This whole watch hobby of ours - YouTube videos, articles, hands-on reviews, etc. - is full of opinions which we all readily consume prior to making our own decisions. I see this forum as a fantastic extension of that, with the ability to get personalized feedback.
In a nutshell, very well put.

FWIW, I would pursue the trade you've suggested, depending on what else is in your collection!
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 04:52 AM   #44
Greglaw
Banned

What help?

Quote:

You either like the 2 you have or want a different one. This isn't about weight, or discomfort, you want opinions on whether to keep the 2 you have or dump them for just 1 watch. Either you like the ones you have or you don't. Whether I find any of them aesthetically pleasing, ugly, stupid, beautiful, etc. what difference does that make. It doesn't. You aren't looking for reviews, there are plenty of them in this forum and online. You are simply asking should I keep 2 or get 1. Once again, who cares who thinks whether you should keep 2 versus 1? You get some people who want 2, and some who want 1. That is what you asked.

What deep, dark secrets or incredibly insightful knowledge do you hope to obtain. Your question was "[w]ould you rather have these two? Or one white SkyD"?That doesn't call for "holistic perspective" or "angles" or "quality of input". Dear God. You need that to answer whether you should own 1 or 2 watches?

Hmmm. How about this. Neither. Get a ladies Datejust. That is what I think you should get.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 04:57 AM   #45
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Best trade is the following:

1. Def. Keep the white OP! Perfect white dial watch.
2. Lose the speedmaster and add the white skyD.
Old 22 December 2021, 05:01 AM   #46
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
You either like the 2 you have or want a different one. This isn't about weight, or discomfort, you want opinions on whether to keep the 2 you have or dump them for just 1 watch. Either you like the ones you have or you don't. Whether I find any of them aesthetically pleasing, ugly, stupid, beautiful, etc. what difference does that make. It doesn't. You aren't looking for reviews, there are plenty of them in this forum and online. You are simply asking should I keep 2 or get 1. Once again, who cares who thinks you should keep 2 versus 1? You get some people who want 2, and some who want 1. That is what you asked.

What deep, dark secrets or incredibly insightful knowledge do you hope to obtain. Your question was "[w]ould you rather have these two? Or one white SkyD? That doesn't call for "holistic perspective" or "angles" or "quality of input". Dear God. You need that to answer whether you should own 1 or 2 watches?

Hmmm. How about this. Neither. Get a ladies Datejust. That is what I think you should get.
Okay, I see that you're just here to bash me. I already told you that this was part of my process and it helps me. Emphasis on MY. If it bothers you so much, and frankly I still don't get why it does, then why not just not respond instead of antagonizing me? Anyway, I'll take your ladies datejust recommendation into consideration.
Old 22 December 2021, 05:06 AM   #47
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Best trade is the following:

1. Def. Keep the white OP! Perfect white dial watch.
2. Lose the speedmaster and add the white skyD.
Thanks! I've deliberated this avenue. But then I'd have two pieces with the same eggshell white dial - I think they're the same anyway? I'm thinking that in a scenario where I keep the OP, maybe I go for a white DJ again instead. Always regretted parting with mine. That way I get the fluted bezel I'm after - and now that I think about it, maybe I'm more after that look than the complication per se - while getting a different shade of white. The pull I have in the other direction is less is more. I have too many pieces at the moment. Part of the challenge I'm having too is I've never been able to see the White SkyD in person. Even the display models around NYC all seem to be blue or black.