The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 July 2023, 08:44 AM   #31
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew.g.l View Post
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is other than to share my perspective as I shopped for my first Rolex. Also not a super original take either but never the less here it is.

While it’s an undeniably classic and beautiful watch, there’s just something about it’s ubiquitousness that ultimately turned me off from wanting to purchase it. Especially when worn by someone my age (28), honestly by anyone under 40-50 years old, that just seems corny in my opinion.

It’s to the watch world what the white bmw 3series is to the car world. Or what that brown checkered Louis Vuitton tote bag that every middle class woman and her grandma has or had owned is to the world of female handbags.

I started noticing it everywhere once I got into watches and whenever I see it on a guy I just think “yup that’s definitely fake” or “this kid just looks like a little douche”. I get that may be intense or harsh but there’s just something about the reputation this watch has developed that makes it so it’s more about “hey look at me” than just being a beautiful and well made watch.

I think in the world of Rolex there’s far more interesting pieces on both the lower end (explorer, datejust) and certainly on the pricier end. With the BMW analogy, the submariner screams look at me like a white 3 series does. Someone who
Actually knows Cars doesn’t get that one, they get an 911 or a M5. Just like Rolex guys get a jubilee GMT or a Daytona - or ultimately go higher than Rolex and get something really special.

The final nail in the coffin for me was that I love watches in general, of all
Brands and price points. Specifically for the budget spectrum, which to me is anything less than $1K, I think all the best pieces in that range are dive watches. In fact there’s a plethora of beautiful and shocking well made options (seiko skx, seiko king, tissot seastar, orient Kasamu - just to name a few) that I feel like more than cover the need or desire to own a well made dive watch.

Personally I’d rather go for a gmt at retail, or secondary market go for an explorer or datejust. Does anyone else feel similar or if you love the sub what’s your thoughts on it?
I am still trying to figure all this out… Anyone that owns a Rolex younger then age 40 or 50 is a Douche? So I guess the Sub is an old-person’s watch only?
Old 3 July 2023, 08:46 AM   #32
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I bought a Submariner for myself and don't care what others think of it or even notice it, it's for me, not them. I look at it on my wrist, smile each time, appreciate it's perfection and amazing 70 year run.
Old 3 July 2023, 09:14 AM   #33
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I think any Rolex is going to attract some degree of attention, so if you step into the Rolex world expect that. I rather like the Submariner and it's long history which provides me with much personal satisfaction. I'd rather focus on the pride of ownership instead of what others think.
Old 3 July 2023, 09:16 AM   #34
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I wear my watches for me and my enjoyment only. I could give a rip what anyone thinks.
Old 3 July 2023, 09:29 AM   #35
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Luckily not everybody has the same taste, just buy what you like.
Old 3 July 2023, 09:41 AM   #36
slide13
"TRF" Member

Love the Sub, have always loved it. I like timeless classics. GMT is the one that has never done anything for me really, though it too is a timeless classic. Hey, everybody likes what they like.

What I never really get is starting a whole thread on a watch that doesn’t interest you? Why do you feel the need to broadcast it rather than just talking about the watches you do like?

But whatevs, I don’t really care. Love the sub and I’m not going to let it’s perceived ubiquity stop me from liking what I like.
Old 3 July 2023, 09:42 AM   #37
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Indeed so ubiquitous that you never, ever see one available for sale in the case, going on 5 years now.
I think that’s ultimately the fuel behind the OP’s opinion. If offered one today, I’m sure it wouldn’t be refused.

Though I agree it sometimes seems like there are more 3 series BMWs than Honda Civics in many neighborhood’s, that’s certainly not true of the sub compared to the average person’s watch…the vast majority of the world thinks that a $500 watch is an expensive watch.

A GMT is no more unique than a sub. Rolex are mass produced and outside of rare vintages pieces, aren’t all that high up on the haute horological hierarchy.

To say a real enthusiast buys a 911 or an M5 instead of a BMW3 is just as ridiculous….a 3 series is a fraction of the price. It could be that they just don’t have the financial means to get a nicer model but are still into German cars. I’m not a BMW fan at all, but most 3 series I see are owned by younger males who likely just don’t have the funds to go any higher…
Old 3 July 2023, 09:49 AM   #38
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is other than to share my perspective as I shopped for my first Rolex. Also not a super original take either but never the less here it is. .....
So now, Drew . . .

The classy thing to do, would be for you to respond to all these responses, and give us your thoughts, now that you have some more perspective from the more "experienced" guys on the TRF. One might interpret "experienced" as "OLD", but perhaps not.

Importantly, note that (with rare exception) no one put you down, but rather helped you to see another way of looking at things. This is all part of the journey of watch-collecting, and it's ALL good stuff! Despite my trying not to do so, . . . I DO care somewhat about what others think, but it's low on my priority. Ultimately, I have to love the piece I'm wearing, so that's the biggest item.

My son, a 38 y.o. guy in SF, started out with a Speedy, but always wanted a Sub. When he finally got his 16610 (a 2008, because he likes the 5 digit proportions on his 5'8" frame), he fell in love all over again, and that thing hasn't come off his wrist! He certainly isn't wearing it to impress others, but because that thing is meaningful to him - - he saved and earned and bought it himself. I'm really proud of him.

And I would never demean him for wearing "just a Sub", despite that I've moved into Patek. And he loves my watches too, but still wears his Sub happily.

So, in agreement with all the above..... Live and let live. Wear and let wear. Enjoy your life and love others for themselves!
Welcome to TRF, my friend!!
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
Old 3 July 2023, 09:59 AM   #39
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Just a matter of time, you will see.
Old 3 July 2023, 10:09 AM   #40
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I kind of get what you're saying, OP. Just don't worry about it. No one cares about your watch more than you. So, you might as well get what you like.
Old 3 July 2023, 10:13 AM   #41
Blanch
"TRF" Member

There's nothing wrong with a BMW 3 series. It's a classic.
Same holds true for a Rolex Submariner.
Old 3 July 2023, 10:30 AM   #42
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDweller View Post
So now, Drew . . . Live and let live. Wear and let wear. Enjoy your life and love others for themselves!
Welcome to TRF, my friend!!
Wonderful post, Bob.

Drew, it sounds like you’re still working out what you want. Those other young guys walking around with Subs probably love watches a lot also. Try to take a more generous view. And if you’re frustrated at unavailability and extortionate secondary prices, you’re in good company.

Enjoy finding whatever it is you like. If it causes you angst, that’s sort of against the spirit of being into this in the first place?
Old 3 July 2023, 10:40 AM   #43
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
You clearly like to make assumptions, you know what they say about assumptions....

Does anyone here know what opinions, cowboy hats and hemorrhoids have in common???

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
Old 3 July 2023, 10:45 AM   #44
dubins930

I know what you mean… would anyone on here strike up a watch conversation with someone wearing a black bezel SS sub?… odds are they know nothing about watches and will just tell you how much it costs… it is the watch of “that guy”…

Now if it’s an LV or Bluesy that’s another story
Old 3 July 2023, 11:26 AM   #45
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Regardless of budget the Sub is on top of millions of collectors and enthusiasts worldwide. The fact that is so ubiquitous says something about how desirable it has been. As for a diver that predates the Sub and is not as common look at the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. But like the Sub both are well outside your 1k budget.
Old 3 July 2023, 11:35 AM   #46
shredace
"TRF" Member

I own a Sub and absolutely love it. It is beautiful and has phenomenal craftsmanship.

I leased two white BMW 3 Series recently. They were beautiful cars that drove great with excellent build quality.

I appreciate these items and I am very fortunate to have them. I really don’t care what others think and I’m not out to Impress anyone.
Old 3 July 2023, 11:37 AM   #47
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The final nail in the coffin for me was that I love watches in general, of all Brands and price points. Specifically for the budget spectrum, which to me is anything less than $1K, I think all the best pieces in that range are dive watches. In fact there’s a plethora of beautiful and shocking well made options (seiko skx, seiko king, tissot seastar, orient Kasamu - just to name a few) that I feel like more than cover the need or desire to own a well made dive watch.
This was the most notable part of your post for me. Clearly no need to consider a Sub if you're perfectly happy with far less expensive dive watches that are less recognizable than a Rolex, since that matters to you.

For what it's worth, modern subs with ceramic bezel inserts don't interest me either. A vintage 1680 red Sub checks the Sub box for me. If I'm looking at current Rolex sports watches, I'd go for a GMT (Pepsi) too.
Old 3 July 2023, 11:43 AM   #48
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
A lot of people here are going to agree with some of your comments, but it doesn't make the Sub a bad watch. When I see someone wearing one I definitely don't think douche. I've had a few over the years and they don't do anything for me. But it's a great watch, especially if you have one good watch. It checks the boxes.
Old 3 July 2023, 11:44 AM   #49
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is other than to share my perspective as I shopped for my first Rolex. Also not a super original take either but never the less here it is.

While it’s an undeniably classic and beautiful watch, there’s just something about it’s ubiquitousness that ultimately turned me off from wanting to purchase it. Especially when worn by someone my age (28), honestly by anyone under 40-50 years old, that just seems corny in my opinion.

It’s to the watch world what the white bmw 3series is to the car world. Or what that brown checkered Louis Vuitton tote bag that every middle class woman and her grandma has or had owned is to the world of female handbags.

I started noticing it everywhere once I got into watches and whenever I see it on a guy I just think “yup that’s definitely fake” or “this kid just looks like a little douche”. I get that may be intense or harsh but there’s just something about the reputation this watch has developed that makes it so it’s more about “hey look at me” than just being a beautiful and well made watch.

I think in the world of Rolex there’s far more interesting pieces on both the lower end (explorer, datejust) and certainly on the pricier end. With the BMW analogy, the submariner screams look at me like a white 3 series does. Someone who
Actually knows Cars doesn’t get that one, they get an 911 or a M5. Just like Rolex guys get a jubilee GMT or a Daytona - or ultimately go higher than Rolex and get something really special.

Brands and price points. Specifically for the budget spectrum, which to me is anything less than $1K, I think all the best pieces in that range are dive watches. In fact there’s a plethora of beautiful and shocking well made options (seiko skx, seiko king, tissot seastar, orient Kasamu - just to name a few) that I feel like more than cover the need or desire to own a well made dive watch.

Personally I’d rather go for a gmt at retail, or secondary market go for an explorer or datejust. Does anyone else feel similar or if you love the sub what’s your thoughts on it?
I understand your perspective; personally, I am not interested in the black subs. There are way to many around. I personally chose the Bluesy. I've had a couple of black ones but ultimately found them boring. Not to cast aspersions on other's choices. Too each their own. You might consider a two tone or a PM model. For me the sub is perfect for water sports.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 3 July 2023, 11:45 AM   #50
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

You may be thinking about yourself too much and or placing a lot of strange judgements like looking corny on an age group??? and on a watch?! The age thing makes zero sense to me since my first Sub came at 29, my second in my 40s, my third in my 50s and my fourth in my 60s. My fifth and likely my last when I turned 70. Great watch and always looked just like a watch on my arm at any age.
Old 3 July 2023, 01:18 PM   #51
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

well, op, I have to say your post on a rolex forum kind of shocked me. None the less, Ill say when I started collecting and buying watches from 60 bucks to 650, I never thought id be able to afford Rolex, a brand that everyone that knows watches knows about. Eventually, I was able to afford a TT serti sub with blue saphires and diamond markers. In all my years of ownership, I rarely got comments on it. Since then, I purchased a ss gmt ceramic black bezel and have had a few comments from admirers over 13 years. I recently purchased a TT DJII 41mm with ivory dial and diamond markers. I have only had it for three weeks but someone already saw it on my wrist and said they liked it.
And lastly, my all yg blue dial sub which is just gorgeous hardly gets attention. So if your saying you don't want people to think your ostentatious due to wearing a rolex, dont worry. Mostly only other watch enthusiasts notice. And who cares who does or doest. Like I said, I truly never thought I could afford any rolex with a mortgage, car payments etc so to me, it says, you worked hard and now can enjoy it. I could care less how others judge me because of my watches. When I strap on my Rolexes, I feel good. Sometimes I even sleep with one on my wrist.

Lee
Old 3 July 2023, 01:25 PM   #52
Andad

Watch: A few.
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is ....

I agree with you.

Old 3 July 2023, 01:42 PM   #53
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

You should buy whatever you like. Who gives a crap about what others think?
Old 3 July 2023, 01:48 PM   #54
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

I think op should go for a SD4k , get you the look you like but still stand out to use your analogy instead of a 3 series bmw you are now into the M5
Old 3 July 2023, 01:49 PM   #55
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
There is so much wrong with this it’s hard to pick where to start.
Old 3 July 2023, 05:26 PM   #56
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Well, the car analogy lost me a bit — likely because I’m not a Bimmer guy.

I’ve had two Subs in my life, I gelled with neither. I soon moved on to GMT functionality because of living in Canada while my family were back home.

They’re lovely to look at (the bezel font and bezel ring being much nicer on the 5-digits than the gmt), but they’re not my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 3 July 2023, 05:35 PM   #57
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I like what I like, I buy what I can afford and I don't judge other people by what they wear, accessorise with or drive. You obviously have a different world view. That's the thing about people, we're all different.
Old 3 July 2023, 05:45 PM   #58
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
I have two Subs and drive a white BMW 4 series. I am beyond douchery!
Old 3 July 2023, 05:49 PM   #59
BobbyB
Banned

Quote:

Honestly I think this goes beyond watches. The fact that you make snap judgments on people like that is pretty sad. You should stop looking at other people and maybe work on yourself. Sounds like you have some self esteem issues
Old 3 July 2023, 06:08 PM   #60
Belinus
"TRF" Member

There are posts similar to this occasionally on this forum and I struggle to see the point of them unless it is to cause offence and display the OP’s feeling of superiority over many of the people that will end the post.

For me, for both watches and cars one should buy what they want and can afford and enjoy the purchase. I don’t see any reason to belittle someone for having something that you personally would not wish to own.
Closed Thread

Tags
drew's issue... , lol