The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2020, 04:54 AM   #31
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The problem with coronavirus vs. the flu is that it is an unknown, there is no vaccine, and asymptomatic people can spread the virus.

I don't think that throwing all caution to the wind is advisable because more people die of the flu.

The issue is not where the infection and mortality rates are now, but rather, what they could become, given the lack of a vaccine and herd immunity.
Not more dangerous than any other flu. If you listen to experts , it is already too late to stop it from spreading. 50-70 % will get the virus if living in a contaminated area, like myself. Honestly I am much more afraid of the Hysterie that is created than the actual virus. Mortality is the same as for any real flu. Most people don’t even realize they have it.
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 05:40 AM   #32
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivicorsi View Post
Not more dangerous than any other flu. If you listen to experts , it is already too late to stop it from spreading. 50-70 % will get the virus if living in a contaminated area, like myself. Honestly I am much more afraid of the Hysterie that is created than the actual virus. Mortality is the same as for any real flu. Most people don’t even realize they have it.
Citations, please.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 05:48 AM   #33
challer
"TRF" Member

New models will come out or they have to mess with production lines
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 05:53 AM   #34
carl12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
All we can do is speculate, but I can definitely see brands postponing the announcement of new releases until this situation is (somewhat) under control. The optics of rolling out the red carpet to announce new luxury watches while the world is suffering from a global pandemic would be...not great
Definitely right.
carl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 06:02 AM   #35
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Sounds like they are using this to reset new releases for the entire industry.

Basel will be in January going forward.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 06:34 AM   #36
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Baselworld was placed on the Rolex waitlist...AD said they might be able to get the new SS models by Jan of 2021 but no guarantees.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 06:58 AM   #37
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The problem with coronavirus vs. the flu is that it is an unknown, there is no vaccine, and asymptomatic people can spread the virus.

I don't think that throwing all caution to the wind is advisable because more people die of the flu.

The issue is not where the infection and mortality rates are now, but rather, what they could become, given the lack of a vaccine and herd immunity.

I agree, that is why I started by saying, “...I am not diminishing...”

Having said that, I do think the world on lockdown, stock market losing $3.6 trillion, etc. is hysteria and over reacting. Nothing catastrophic has actually happened (yet). It is all over reaction at this point.

Now, would I love for this overreaction to cause a panic to grey market/flippers and reduce pricing of Rolexes? Heck yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 07:56 AM   #38
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Baselworld was placed on the Rolex waitlist...AD said they might be able to get the new SS models by Jan of 2021 but no guarantees.
Lol that is actually hilarious .
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 08:26 AM   #39
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I hope Rolex release their models at the same time, we are used to the March tradition now, and Rolex are certainly traditional and conservative with change.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 01:51 PM   #40
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL! That's funny.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:24 PM   #41
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
An AD here in Australia was told this week that Rolex will still be releasing new models this year and it will be done online because of the CORVID19 outbreak.

Dates should be the same.

I know the staff member well, its how I get my watches now and he has no reason to lie to me.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:40 PM   #42
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
In 2020

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:29 PM   #43
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Old 1 March 2020, 11:40 PM   #44
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would just keep an eye on their instagram and website. They already did all of the R&D/Production so it would not be wise to wait until Jan 2021 to announce these updated models.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:54 PM   #45
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

Should require Rolex to buy show space in the Swiss auto show, before they can be put on the list for Baselworld.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 05:12 AM   #46
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Maybe Rolex could just invite the worlds watch press and you tubers to a special venue at their factory or elsewhere. The Baselworld venue may be off the table but I’m sure they could rustle-up a VIP event somewhere else.
By strict invitation of course.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 05:57 AM   #47
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I think this could be the final nail in Baselworld’s coffin. If Rolex and Patek tinker with digital rollouts this year, and like the results, the show may be over.
agreed. Basel was on its last breathe.... but still had Rolex and PP as anchors to the show.

if Rolex and PP can do a digital rollout with same or even better results than Basel (and more importantly based on their timeline / guidelines and meetups) than Basel is dead in water

Because the watch blogs / reviewers / twitter people will be watching Rolex and PP like a hawk on their websites / instagrams / FB /twitter / or other social media... once something comes out it is going to spread like wildfire and everyone will know in less than 24hrs. And will have same impact to most of the public - because unless you're big watch media or big AD buyer - you're not going to get to handle the new watches anyways and would have stared at them through the Rolex display at Basel
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 06:03 AM   #48
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Incorrect. So far this new virus is much more deadly than the flu.

See article from Scientific American https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-with-the-flu/

DEATH RATE
So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.
The death rate for 2019-nCoV is still unclear, but it appears to be higher than that of the flu. Throughout the outbreak, the death rate for 2019-nCoV has been about 2%. Still, officials note that in the beginning of an outbreak, the initial cases that are identified “skew to the severe,” which may make the mortality rate seem higher than it is, Alex Azar, U.S. secretary of the Health and Human Services, said during a news briefing on Jan. 28. The mortality rate may drop as more mild cases are identified, Azar said.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 06:59 AM   #49
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
Incorrect. So far this new virus is much more deadly than the flu.

See article from Scientific American https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-with-the-flu/

DEATH RATE
So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.
The death rate for 2019-nCoV is still unclear, but it appears to be higher than that of the flu. Throughout the outbreak, the death rate for 2019-nCoV has been about 2%. Still, officials note that in the beginning of an outbreak, the initial cases that are identified “skew to the severe,” which may make the mortality rate seem higher than it is, Alex Azar, U.S. secretary of the Health and Human Services, said during a news briefing on Jan. 28. The mortality rate may drop as more mild cases are identified, Azar said.

False an part of the hysteria created around corona. It depends which study you believe . Most people here who get it don’t even go to the doctor cause it has mostly a harmless development. So these fall out of the statistics. We have 1% of death every year because of the flu and that equals corona for the moment. Don’t believe the hysteria and relax. We have a saying here between doctors : don’t believe a statistic that you haven’t falsified yourself....“
Old 2 March 2020, 07:11 AM   #50
exador
Banned

Philipp Stahl will let us know when the new 2020 models are ready
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 07:38 AM   #51
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
False an part of the hysteria created around corona. It depends which study you believe . Most people here who get it don’t even go to the doctor cause it has mostly a harmless development. So these fall out of the statistics. We have 1% of death every year because of the flu and that equals corona for the moment. Don’t believe the hysteria and relax. We have a saying here between doctors : don’t believe a statistic that you haven’t falsified yourself....“
The statistics quoted in the Scientific American article are from the US, CDC Center for Disease Control. So you are saying their professional scientific statics are incorrect? If so, what are your credentials? And why should anyone believe you?
Old 2 March 2020, 07:42 AM   #52
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
The statistics quoted in the Scientific American article are from the US, CDC Center for Disease Control. So you are saying their professional scientific statics are incorrect? If so, what are your credentials? And why should anyone believe you?
Listen, if you want to get into histerical mode ,up to you.
I do not care if you or any one else believes me. I am a doctor myself in an affected area. I am not worried. You can google any sort of information.
Old 2 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #53
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Listen, if you want to get into histerical mode ,up to you.
I do not care if you or any one else believes me. I am a doctor myself in an affected area. I am not worried. You can google any sort of information.
You are starting to sound hysterical......because I don’t agree with your opinion on this issue...

I was just sharing an article with the community that has pertinent information (differing form yours) about the virus. It was written by the scientific community, and everyone can view it along with other current pertinent information to help them to reach their own conclusions.

I wish you well.
Old 2 March 2020, 08:07 AM   #54
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
You are starting to sound hysterical......because I don’t agree with your opinion on this issue...

I was just sharing an article with the community that has pertinent information (differing form yours) about the virus. It was written by the scientific community, and everyone can view it along with other current pertinent information to help them to reach their own conclusions.

I wish you well.
I am actually very chill ;) But thank you for your well wishing.
You will see that we won’t talk about corona in a few month ... well maybe we will open a bottle of Corona.
Old 2 March 2020, 08:11 AM   #55
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
best response to this entire situation i’ve seen yet.

WELL PLAYED SIR.

Old 2 March 2020, 08:28 AM   #56
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
I am actually very chill ;) But thank you for your well wishing.
You will see that we won’t talk about corona in a few month ... well maybe we will open a bottle of Corona.
Old 2 March 2020, 09:57 AM   #57
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
best response to this entire situation i’ve seen yet.

WELL PLAYED SIR.

Thanks Jonathan!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 10:05 PM   #58
Just1More
"TRF" Member

NO ONE KNOWS--not even the shadow!
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 06:13 AM   #59
emersm

Watch: Rolex
I"m hoping Rolex will start to announce their new models next week.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 06:36 AM   #60
Explorer2Guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
I am not diminishing the “potential threat” of Coronavirus but let’s put things into perspective vs. hype. Yes, Coronavirus feels a bit like Rolex hype to me.

While it could be Armageddon ... I doubt it. I believe the numbers are approximately 3,000 deaths from Coronavirus now. Look at these CDC figures from their website for “the regular flu” in the US (not the world but just the US):

The markets are over reacting at this point in my opinion.

Still standing by this now that 50,000 Americans have died from COVID 19 within 60 days or is your spin now that COVID 19 wasn’t the actual cause of the 50,000 deaths in 60 days, just a contributing factor?
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote